Balance n Brighten....what am I doing wrong?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

madamgeorge

Registered Shopper
I've been curious about this for a long time - mainly because of the enthusiasm over it of many girls on this forum.

I was lucky enough to get it the other day when it was on free p&p.

I ordered fair and am sure this is the right tone for me. But I ended up looking like I had on too much foundation (dull yellow skin with subtle orange tones) yet at the same time not enough coverage and my real not very appealing complexion was obvious underneath the mask. Obviously not the look I'm aspiring towards.

I usually use Bare Essentials which I'm pretty happy with, though it can be a bit messy. With BE the trick is to do lots of buffing with a small amount of powder. I didn't do this with Balance n Brighten because in the video demo Laura seems to be applying it in light, sweeping strokes to the model. I didn't find it a helpful video because the model (young lush blonde, can't think of her name. Looks like a young Melinda Messinger) clearly is already make up before Laura applies the foundation!?

I'd really appreciate any advice. I know so many on this site rave about the product I'm obviously going wrong somewhere.

Thank you.

I use this product but I don't put a lot on. I don't think it gives the same coverage as a liquid foundation which is why I use it as I don't like to look too made up. It may be that this simply is not suitable for your needs. I must say I have never noticed it being orange?....well no one has called me an umpa lumpa as yet! LOL!:43:

Last edited:
Turned orange on DD & myself with or without using primer-loved the texture but was not for us, was also too dark for our complextions (both the fair & regular) :(

I find I need a primer under it or it can go a bit orangy on me. I tend to applyit a bit like BE by buffing but maybe a bit less than I need to for that. Does that make sense ?!!

this is exactly what I got when I used it, my skin does not require a lot of coverage, so eventually, but not using a great deal of the product I got on ok with it. But it also dries out my skin, so I went back to BE and my favourite, smashbox halo

No way does it give the effect of BE and Halo - but both of those are a pian in yur handbag. I take the LG out with me as the compact is good. I use the fair. I do not have very very fair skin and I can could see that even the fair would be too dark for a lot of people. It is hit and mix on the colour palette you get -they vary a lot.

Maybe one to ue the MBG on if you are not hapy.

I have to say that apart from the ethereal rose blush, all of LG's products are too dark and heavy for me.

I find balance and brighten too dark for me too but instead of using it as a foundation, i use it as a bronzer over halo. I much prefer BE myself but dont want to waste the other products!!!

i used the medium as i have an olive skin and it was too pale for me. I also found to get any coverage you had to use a lot, which then looked cakey. I used my MBG on it. However i find the blushers and lipsticks too dark and very heavily pigmented.
I'm now using BE which took quite a time to get right but after some very helpful tips from the ladies on here i've got it right and i love it.

It sounds weird to say it, but when I'm applying my B&B I actually use the bare escentuals technique to put it on, that is to say, swirl, tap and buff...that way I don't get an overload of product and I can buff it in as much as I need to. It has worked up to now for me - at first I was so heavy handed with it and it did look a bit caked and orangey, but I realised I was compensating for the fact I was no longer applying both foundation AND powder, so I cut right back on the amount I used and just buffed it on. If I use it over the top of spackle, either in the original or the bronze then I use even less of it.

It is definitly a bit hit and miss with the colour you receive - I actually have a regular that seems paler than the fair.

I've found that a kabuki brush is better than any other brush for putting it on, but I have to say that there isn't really any trick to using it so if you're not getting out of it what you want maybe its best sending it back

I have it in fair which is perhaps a little too pale but I apply it with a BE brush. I hate foundation so I like this as it feels light and I feel my skin can breathe. I have just learnt that less is more - you just have to keep buffing it to get better coverage BUT my problem is it looks great when I first put it on but 3 or 4 hours later I'm really shiney. Anyone else have this problem?

I really wanted to love B&B as I love Laura Geller and think she is such a gracious lady. However, I can't get on with it at all. The regular is too dark and the fair is like talcum powder on my face. I can wear the regular as a blusher/bronzer but not as a foundation.
I too have had problems with it making me look a little orange if I apply too much.

I do think that it depends on how you receive your compact as some seem to have more yellow or bronze in them than others.

I now use Smashbox Halo which is fantastic and hydrating.

Made me look orange, too. If they're going to make a Fair, why don't they make sure it IS fair?

I think it's very hit and miss with the colours. I tried the regular and it was too pale for me.

Made me look orange, too. If they're going to make a Fair, why don't they make sure it IS fair?

I completely agree. I ordered my first Balance n' Brighten last year in fair. When it arrived I was so impressed as it was a mixture of cream, lightest beigey tones with a tiny hint of pale yellow. It was a perfect match and I really enjoyed wearing it. Since then I have ordered (and sent back) another four BnB in fair and haven't been able to get near to that colour. All have been too yellow, orange or dark.
So annoying as it is like a lucky dip as to what colours you get. I have now given up trying and moved on to other foundation.

I really wanted to love B&B as I love Laura Geller and think she is such a gracious lady. However, I can't get on with it at all. The regular is too dark and the fair is like talcum powder on my face.

Maybe thats because talc is the main ingredient.

Talc, Mica, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Isopropyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Jojoba Seed Oil, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), BHT.

I dont get on with it, I have the fair and was lucky to get a compact that is mainly the light colours, but it feels so dusty, not in a BE way, but a dry way. I really wanted to like it to.

Latest posts

Back