Basso and Joan

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have read this thread with some interest having had some "experience" with so called animal lovers. Firstly may I say I do NOT agree with animal cruelty in ANY form. BUT I was once, several years ago, looking urgently for a student and the short cut to his lecture was passed a building doing licensed animal research for the pharmaceutical industry. Because the animal rights protesters thought I worked there (which I would never do for personal ethical issues) they really started shouting abuse at me and I had a bottle of liquid thrown at me. Long story short turns bottle contained a caustic liquid and I still have the burn scars at the top of my arm so when I read someone lecturing me about I should and should not buy I look at my arm and think "get your own house into order first" and until you can convince me that you are really loving and kind to ALL creatures on this planet I will ignore protestations. I have bored myself now with this. We have all made our point and perhaps should move on......................

Before this thread is closed down, too, can I say I am SICK AND TIRED of being lectured to by animal rights campaigners, however subtly. I have my own views and will keep them that way.

But
if you:
don't buy fur
don't take prescription drugs
don't eat meat, fish or seafood
don't support horse-racing or horse-riding
deplore the fact that our ancestors broke in and used animals to plough the land and pull their wagons
don't keep or support the caging of animals in any form, whether in a cage or enclosed by a fence of a few acres where you are also depriving that animal of freedom outside your boundaries
don't use animal fat

then and only then would I say you are sticking to your principles. But then we enter the realm of cruelty to another living form, the vegetable ..... or yet another living form, the bacterium ... it goes on.

So please - LEAVE IT OUT.

Even Fruitarians have a hierarchy: waiting for the fruit to drop, or not, eat seeds or don't (thus preventing the germination of a seed!) etc etc etc........

Well today I'm making a lovely organic beef casserole. It takes 5 hours to cook! Organic beef, green beans, mushrooms, pear barley, lentils, carrots, sweet potato, leeks, a few herbs and spices and some vegetable stock. Should be delicious!

I live not far from the Manchester dogs home which was recently set on fire with the loss of over 50 poor dogs. Hundreds of people stood outside ready to look after a dog rescued from the fire, hundreds travelled to take food and bedding for the rescued dogs, many thousands of people donated and raised over £1 million in a day and every one of the surviving dogs will be warm, looked after, fed, nursed back to health etc. I daresay many people saw it all on the news but I bet lots of those people who helped had eaten a pork pie, lamb chop, beef stew etc for their tea or wore leather shoes or own a Basso faux fur or dared to have a Joan Collins lippy in their handbag but heyyyy it doesn`t matter what good they might have done in life, let them be judged by the clothes on their back and the food in their belly eh ?

I have read this thread with some interest having had some "experience" with so called animal lovers. Firstly may I say I do NOT agree with animal cruelty in ANY form. BUT I was once, several years ago, looking urgently for a student and the short cut to his lecture was passed a building doing licensed animal research for the pharmaceutical industry. Because the animal rights protesters thought I worked there (which I would never do for personal ethical issues) they really started shouting abuse at me and I had a bottle of liquid thrown at me. Long story short turns bottle contained a caustic liquid and I still have the burn scars at the top of my arm so when I read someone lecturing me about I should and should not buy I look at my arm and think "get your own house into order first" and until you can convince me that you are really loving and kind to ALL creatures on this planet I will ignore protestations. I have bored myself now with this. We have all made our point and perhaps should move on......................

My God, I cannot bear that 'caring' people did that to you - absolutely indefensible and their behaviour is a contradiction in terms. I've seen these people on tv, terrorising others and their children (!) and I cannot accept that such people care more about animals than they do about their fellow humans.

I hope you reported the incident to the police Hotlips and that something was done about it.

I was close to tears when I heard about those dogs too Vienna.

Well today I'm making a lovely organic beef casserole. It takes 5 hours to cook! Organic beef, green beans, mushrooms, pear barley, lentils, carrots, sweet potato, leeks, a few herbs and spices and some vegetable stock. Should be delicious!

Give me a time and I'll be straight round ;-)

I'm trying out my new slow cooker. It's perfect for stews and casseroles. Can set it on a timer to start cooking at lunchtime and meal is ready when I get home from work!

Are you using a Ninja steam/slow cooker from Q Julius? I love mine and your recipe has made me want to use mine to cook it in for tomorrow :)

It sounds lovely Julius. Now just chuck in a few dumplings for good measure.

Are you using a Ninja steam/slow cooker from Q Julius? I love mine and your recipe has made me want to use mine to cook it in for tomorrow :)

Yes. I normally just steam vegetables in it but today am trying the slow cook facility. Don't forget to soak the barley and pulses the night before!

As much as i hate threads being Hijacked , Nothing will ever convince me buying anything from Basso is ok

I think it is admirable that Q doesn't sell kids' clothes; therefore not supporting the population explosion. (She said, tongue firmly in cheek.)

I think it is admirable that Q doesn't sell kids' clothes; therefore not supporting the population explosion. (She said, tongue firmly in cheek.)

Ssshhhhh, you'll be giving them ideas. I can almost hear KimfromMonteal switching on the sewing machines as I type this.

Give it 6 months and you'll be seeing loads of 5 - 10 year olds walking round with their mothers in identical outfits. (Shudders).

I can see them selling baby stuff. The market for doting cruise-going, money-to-burn, buy-six-to-save-even-more grandparents is huge and wouldn't we all rush to buy the latest cot/pram/whatever upmarket combo? But then you'd have to put up with DF et al fawning over cute little babies, though I think with JF that would be pushing it a bit.

Er, no. Second-hand does it just as well, thank you, for the time they're in it.

Latest posts

Back