Big brother is watching you

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
Big brother BOSE is watching you

I bought a BOSE SOUNDTOUCH wave radio from QVC when it was a TSV, and it came with a "bonus" circular remote control (worth about £90). I think this system will be a TSV again before long. It is NOT the same as the other systems that QVC sell, the SOUNDTOUCH is different.

Later, I bought another system elsewhere, but without the circular remote control.

I've been having some problems with the circular remote, so I rang Bose CS today.

They didn't even ask my name, but they asked me whether I was having the problem with the system in my dining room, or the one in my bedroom ! ! ! ! !

Apparently, they know where my systems are, they know what preset stations I have, they know who my internet provider is, and the type of router I have, and which stations I listen to.

Apparently, my radio presets are not stored in my system, they are stored in their servers.

They seemed to know everything about my systems and what stations I listen to, and when.

I find this frightening, and I knew nothing about this until today.

Whilst I kind of admire how clever the BOSE technology clearly is, the amount of info they have on you (albeit about something relatively innocuous) is really quite terrifying! Today your radio-listening habits and preferences, tomorrow ......?

WOW!!!! Very weird, next it will be your Dyson is watching and knows you skipped one room

This is not far fetched.

The GTECH Air-ram came with a USB cable and software, and it monitors your vacuuming and calculates how far you walk and how many calories you use. So who knows - it may also tell them how often you are using it.

All new technologies have information gathering built in now so it doesn't surprise me .Facebook, Twitter ,google etc know all about you, your likes dislikes etc.It can only get worse.

This is not far fetched.

The GTECH Air-ram came with a USB cable and software, and it monitors your vacuuming and calculates how far you walk and how many calories you use. So who knows - it may also tell them how often you are using it.

Jeeze! Mine would be emailing me, going "Have you forgotten I'm in the understairs cupboard?"

lucky Bose don't sell laptops. Why just imagine all those viewed cats doing cute things websites they would monitor and discuss when talking to customers with CS issues.

So Stratto, did they recognise you from your phone number, if you didn't give your name? Or did you give them the serial number of the unit?

QVC know it's me when I phone them - they call me by my name before I've said anything.

That's quite scary about BOSE but don't those new SMART TVs do the same thing in sending data on what programmes you watch and when back to the company? I think some of them have a camera as well but I couldn't be sure on that. We're all being spied on these days.

CC

So Stratto, did they recognise you from your phone number, if you didn't give your name? Or did you give them the serial number of the unit?

Yes, it was from the phone number that they got my name, then all the other info from their database.

BTW I've never told them where the systems are, the systems themselves told Bose.

QVC know it's me when I phone them - they call me by my name before I've said anything.

That's quite scary about BOSE but don't those new SMART TVs do the same thing in sending data on what programmes you watch and when back to the company? I think some of them have a camera as well but I couldn't be sure on that. We're all being spied on these days.

CC

I found out on a TV programme, probably Watchdog, that Samsung smart TV's (as sold by QVC) can listen in to what you are saying, as well as know what you are watching.

So I've disconnected mine from the internet, but now I can't use any of the smart features that I paid loadsamoney for.

For example, I used to just talk to it to tell it what channel number I wanted, as it has a microphone in the remote, but now I actually have to find the remote and press a button!

Yes, Strato, that's what I saw - it was Samsung. It all makes me very uncomfortable but I guess it's so they can bombard us with more spam and adverts to try and get us to buy yet more stuff.

CC

Latest posts

Back