Bit fed up with...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I Think if Carol has read this & previous threads that she cant help but be upset. I would be. Some of the things posted here, and comments that are made in the chatbox are becoming pretty personal and verging on offensive. Is that really neccessary?

We are all human, and all adults. I'm sure we are all capable of getting a point across tactfully. Lets not forget she is only trying to do a job, and when she is on form, she is great fun.

Personally, I actually agree with SOME of the things mentioned regarding Carols attitude at times, but if it goes too over the top, then I just mute or stop watching. (lil 'x' top right if page works wonders')

Either way, personal & offensive comments dont exactly help, and after reading all this, can you blame her for becoming over sensitive, more abrasive & perhaps not seeing the funny side of some comments as much as she used to?

Give the girl a break, and maybe she'll chill out a bit more and revert back to the Carol we knew.

I agree with you.

I Think if Carol has read this & previous threads that she cant help but be upset. I would be. Some of the things posted here, and comments that are made in the chatbox are becoming pretty personal and verging on offensive. Is that really neccessary?

We are all human, and all adults. I'm sure we are all capable of getting a point across tactfully. Lets not forget she is only trying to do a job, and when she is on form, she is great fun.

Personally, I actually agree with SOME of the things mentioned regarding Carols attitude at times, but if it goes too over the top, then I just mute or stop watching. (lil 'x' top right if page works wonders')

Either way, personal & offensive comments dont exactly help, and after reading all this, can you blame her for becoming over sensitive, more abrasive & perhaps not seeing the funny side of some comments as much as she used to?

Give the girl a break, and maybe she'll chill out a bit more and revert back to the Carol we knew.

Personally, I think the opposite Mothy! :blush

If nothing is said then Carol will carry on in the same school marm manner, chastising viewers for not buying (sometimes) and could cost Rocks some viewers and ultimately sales - so she does need to know opinions.

I'm very happy to praise people as well on Rocks - as I have done elsewhere. :biggrin

I agree Sara, Perhaps Carol isnt aware of the way she comes across at times, she needs to be made aware of it. Whatever way around "bullying" and "telling off" tactics will not entice me to buy, more likely entice me to switch off and watch elsewhere.

Carol used to be my favourite. Like I said, towards the end of his time yesterday, Jamie reminded me of old Carol.

Its the chastising I don't like, and the incorrect promises about prices.

If she was just like Old Carol again - the Carol from the out takes, the slightly loopy, full of energy, really good laugh - I would be really happy to watch her again!

Completely agree with all of that.

I agree Mothy, good post!

My point was not suggesting people should not comment or give opinions, and I totally agree with Sara in that Carol should be aware of what is said, because
if she doesnt know, than how can she fix it?

My point is there are more tactful ways of getting a point across than being rude, offensive & personal about it.

If 'bullying' and 'telling' off tactics are putting people off buying, then surely the same logic applies when trying to make points or give opinions re Carols attitude/manner.

OK...made my point & bored now. Who has jaffa cakes?:32:

My point was not suggesting people should not comment or give opinions, and I totally agree with Sara in that Carol should be aware of what is said, because

My point is there are more tactful ways of getting a point across than being rude, offensive & personal about it.

If 'bullying' and 'telling' off tactics are putting people off buying, then surely the same logic applies when trying to make points or give opinions re Carols attitude/manner.

My point wasnt rude or offensive, just stating the way i feel!

I bought a 'yard' of jaffa cakes from Costco the other day. Still in the boot of the car, don't trust myself if I bring them in :lol:

Surely not DD, shouldn't that be a 'metre' of Jaffa cakes, or you'll have the EU Non Metric Police after you:wink:

:doggie:

Unfortunately, I think in this case it does have to come across as "personal" - as the other presenters don't seem to have this "telling off" manner - only Carol. :blink

I certainly hope in my posts on this that I have not been "rude" or "offensive" - hopefully what I've said comes over as constructive criticism, which is solely what is intended. :smile

(enjoy your jaffa cakes, ladies! :))

I didnt watch for long yesterday but one thing i did notice was when a request came on carol only put one in the auction and only dropped the price a few pounds less than on coloured rocks which meant the requester had no choice to buy at that price because she was saying if you dont come in for this now i will pull it surely putting a couple or three in would be better as it wouldnt be so intimidating for the person whos requested it i certainly wont be requesting anything if im made to feel i have to come in for it regardless of the price

Have to say I mentioned in chat to Bargainhunter, that I'd like some pearl earrings, and lo and behold, they were the next item on!!!!

I hope nothing I've said has sounded offensive, but I agree with Sara that unless we say something, Rocks are not going to know how their customers feel. Perhaps Carol just hasn't realised that her comments are coming across in the manner they are??

:doggie:

I was very impressed to see the earrings m4g. I do think rocks read this and have a feeling Carol has read the previous thread from some of the comments she made when the thread was started!

agree with the many comments about presentational style here. it needs to be said and hopefully, as Sarah has said, will be taken on board. the ball is in their court now.

piss off the punter and potentially pounds of purchase paid elsewhere!

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

Re Carol, I don't mind her, can see where folks are coming from but I think she's just trying to do her best for her employers by extracting the best price possible and getting a bit frustrated when it doesn't work.

She makes me laugh, she's as daft as a brush but when youre a salesman/woman its down to you and you alone to sell the product, Carol does it in her way, its funny, its sometimes LOUD, its sometimes 'schoolmarmish' but its Carol. She'll get better i'm sure

I thought it was big of her to come on there tonight, obviously knowing what had been said, and refer to last night as being a bit too fraught etc. and how tonight would be better.

They're still so new to this, its gotta be totally pressurising, we need to give them all a bit of slack I think.

:32: :21: :Hiding:

Last edited:
I thought all items were pulled with good grace tonight and I hope Carol didn't feel so fraught.

Must be easy to see it as a slight on your auctioneering/presentation skills when items don't sell. but Steve had to pull a load as well today and he is a seasoned professional.

Yes, I thought things were much better yesterday night. Carol was always my fave presenter in the past - let's hope she's reverting to type!

On thing that does still annoy me a bit, though, is that Carol doesn't put as many pieces in each auction and doesn't drop prices as low as Barry. This is not necessarily a criticism of Carol - as somebody said, she's only trying to do the best for her employers - but it's still confusing!

As it is, I now only want to put in requests when Barry is on because I think I'll get a better price... last night Carol put on something I'd requested, and pulled the auction at twice the price I'd seen the same item go for with Barry.

When Rocks TV had the rising price auction format, it was not surprising that the prices were very inconsistent, becase it genuinely depended on how many people bid on an item; but with the new format, perhaps they could aim at a bit more consistency?

Barry and Steve are old hands as producer and owner so have a better grasp of the financial situation and no doubt can make executive decisions on issues that Carol as a presenter can't. I stick to my earlier comments about Carol's style but don't hold anything but respect for presenters' abilities to keep going in adversity. I agree with Darls - let's give the lass a chance as last night was more relaxed in that she didn't go off on one when she pulled auctions. :1:

I posted on the other thread that if you're going to criticise someone, please do it poliltely, but got slated in return so am hoping this thread is a little more civilised! Milly your post makes sense...

Re the old auctions depending on how many are bidding - yes they did, but the auctioneer could also close early if they chose - sometimes they hung on for ages, other times they closed very quickly and I missed a couple of things for that reason - as a case in point, also re requests and feeling you have to have them - I requested something and Barry let the bidding go up to £24, so I felt I had to have it, having asked for it. But the next night, Carol closed the same item very quickly at £8 - it was worth far more than that and I felt she wasn't properly considering the final price. Maybe it was a one-off error of judgement on her part, but I was well gutted...

The presenter's style makes no difference to me whatsoever - they say if you like the salesperson you'll buy the product - not me, I just go for the lowest price!

In Carol's defence, it's very easy to get on the wrong side of people - I teach adults, and sometimes a throwaway remark will be taken seriously by someone and they'll take offence, but I know I only meant it in fun - I have a dry sense of humour that people don't always appreciate - I never mean to upset anyone and I'm sure Carol doesn't either.

I have the sound down for 90% of the time anyway - only turnit up for things I'm really interested in, or if the Chat suggests something exciting's going on!

Latest posts

Back