Buckley poppy

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Loveinamist

Registered Shopper
I'm sorry, I just don't like the blinged poppies on men. Sexist I know, but the simplicity of the paper ones, originally made by wounded veterans, have more meaning to me. Looking at Miceal affirms my opinion, Craig too. I also think females should wear theirs as jewellery throughout the year and also wear paper ones for Remembrance.

I kinda agree re men. My personal preference is for me to do the sparkling. I love it that we have poppy brooches as I never could keep a poppy on my coat and just before I would inevitably lose one, it looked like it had been through the laundry. Our local legion used to attach real fern to the paper poppies and often made them up double, which looked really good. I take your point though about the simplicity of the original.

100% of the donation is received for a paper poppy, not a small percentage for some of the blingy poppies. I like the symbolism of the fragility of the poppy, if I lose mine, as always happens...I donate again and again. I feel it's such a poignant way to remember the fallen.

I use my Buckley poppy to pin my paper poppy. I don't have a button hole in my sweatshirt or fleece and don't like pins as i have dogs and am very careful about dropping pins on the floor or in the car.

All good points. Also I wonder how many buy the sparkly ones and wear it year after year, and then 'forget' to donate after the initial purchase.

Personally I think watch the demo on Q of the poppies and then buy from the British legion , I agree about the guys, some of the sparkly poppies don't look right on men, I just hope everyone who buys a designer poppy also buy a paper poppy even if they don't wear it .

All good points. Also I wonder how many buy the sparkly ones and wear it year after year, and then 'forget' to donate after the initial purchase.

I suppose some people will do that but equally people wearing a paper poppy might have donated very little for it. I've got one of the sparkly poppies but also donated to the poppy sellers I saw at the supermarket.

How or why (or even if) people choose to donate is up to them surely?

I bought a Buckley poppy from the BL website and wear that... I would hate to think that some might assume that I did that to avoid donating in the future!

Why assume the worst?

I bought a Buckley poppy from the BL website and wear that... I would hate to think that some might assume that I did that to avoid donating in the future!

Why assume the worst?

Totally agree. I also bought a Buckley poppy pin direct from the British Legion but that doesn't stop me donating every single year. Having had several family members serve during the Second World War (both parents included) as well as those doing duty in today's conflicts it means a lot to show support as always. These men and women are very very special people and I will continue to support them as long as I live because I wouldn't want to do their job but feel eternally grateful they are prepared to put their lives on the line through their chosen career.

100% of the donation is received for a paper poppy, not a small percentage for some of the blingy poppies. I like the symbolism of the fragility of the poppy, if I lose mine, as always happens...I donate again and again. I feel it's such a poignant way to remember the fallen.

I used to but that was not a satisfactory solution for me. I hate being out and about in the fortnight before 11/11.. not wearing a poppy. I don't want to pass a veteran or war widow not showing my support. Last year on Songs of Praise a young widow with two daughters said that every time she saw someone wearing a poppy she felt like they were giving her and her girls a hug. Although I had my old problem last year when the Buckley poppy fell off leaving me with just the pin in my card.
Maybe I should get a tattoo. It would be much harder to loose :)

Why assume the worst?

I totally agree Tiddles - how people choose to remember is their own affair and should stay that way. It shouldn't turn into an issue of one-upmanship about who has donated what, to whom and how often, to me that's not what it's about, and is a bit inappropriate.

Whilst I'm here, the BL has a great range of cards and gifts for Christmas and all profits go to them... and so to the care of all servicemen (past and present) who need support in life.

http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/christmas.html

As a daughter of a soldier who suffered PTSD (and became an alcoholic as a result) and as a wife of a soldier of 23 years (who saw all the worst hot and cold conflicts)... I can say that it's not just the 'fallen' that need to be remembered.

Please consider supporting SSAFA, BL or Salvation Army in helping those that might have dropped off the radar... an awful lot of the homeless and prison population is made up of ex servicemen who couldn't cope with their experiences or return to civvie life.

Sorry, don't want to lecture or anything, it's just a subject very close to my heart.

I wear a paper poppy on one coat, a lapel pin on another. I wear a Buckley poppy brooch on a sweater. I have a poppy jute shopping bag, a Poppy "Lest We Forget" scarf and a poppy umbrella. I have a poppy sweatshirt, a poppy watch and triple poppy earrings.

Oh, and I am a poppy seller.

Because of the poppy brooches and other items I now donate more than I did before.

I buy something each year from the BL website and make my normal cash donation at the same time. No one comes to the door anymore, if they did, I would probably donate again.

I wear my various items a couple of weeks before Armitice Day and like to think it may encourage others to donate in some way.

The British Legion supports the selling of these products, it all helps keep them in peoples minds.

Latest posts

Back