Christmas Delivery

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

L

Lee Jones

Guest Shopper
To quote Dave in the last hour - "I'm not sure if even in an hours time we'll be able to guarantee Christmas delivery. The powers that be are advising us on an hour-by-hour basis whether we can or not".

I wonder how much truth is in this, or whether it is a clever sales ploy to get people ordering A.S.A.P.

I've had countless emails this week from online stores advising of their latest order dates, most of which are right up till the 23rd December - why would't Ideal World who must ship a considerable amount of goods, be able to agree with their courier, a cut off date?

I was gointg to buy something yesterday (Friday 18th). They said that they could not guarantee Christmas delivery, so they have lost a sale from me.

To quote Dave in the last hour - "I'm not sure if even in an hours time we'll be able to guarantee Christmas delivery. The powers that be are advising us on an hour-by-hour basis whether we can or not".

I wonder who 'the powers that be' are? Father Christmas - cos that would explain why the delivery may be tight.... The sleigh must be getting loaded up

You needed to order in September to guarantee xmas delivery with these fools

You needed to order in September to guarantee xmas delivery with these fools

I stopped ordering from Ideal World several years ago because of delivery problems.

I recently gave in to temptation and order three things from them. All three items arrived within three or four days of my order being placed.

Perhaps they are making more of an effort now. Or, perhaps I was simply lucky. :mysmilie_697:

My Little Sis ordered the Multi-Cooker twin pack last Saturday(12th) arrived Wednesday 16th, so may be things are improving on the delivery front.

On the other hand I posted a letter first class that only had a distance of 20 miles to go and that took 3 days to get to its recipient !!!

Blaming a whole company's delivery problems on a local courier is a little too simplistic.
The problem with delivery companies is the service is dependent on many factors.
Yes, the end of line is a local courier (possibly self-employed) but a local courier works in a very small area - usually a single postcode, and this can mean one person can have a wonderful service and 5 miles down the road a not so diligent courier provides a poor service.

Problems relating to couriers usually involve delays where people live in outlying areas and couriers keep parcels back until there are several in that area - and the reason they are forced to do that is because of very poor pay. It's not worth travelling a 10 mile round trip if you're only going to be paid 85p for your trouble. This would probably only result in a delay of 2-3 days.

I recall Dazzler's problem with her bucking bronco. That didn't arrive for weeks - and I don't for one moment think that was down to the courier. No courier with a brain would keep a large item like that stuck in their garage for weeks on end - most couriers want to shift parcels asap.

Ideal World ship some things out from their warehouses and some are obviously shipped direct from the supplier - but they don't make it clear when this is happening, so as usual the poor courier gets the blame.

Before the courier is given the parcel, there are any number of things that could cause a delay (apart from IW that is) - labels being ripped off; item having to be returned for relabelling...parcel getting mis-sorted and ending up being sent to the wrong depot/subdepot; parcel being nicked, never to be seen again. NONE of these things can be attributed to a courier, it's the fault of the Delivery Company.

Because of the way delivery companies like HDNL and Hermes work, you inevitably cannot bundle their part in the logistics service with that of the courier. Each courier, whether employed or self-employed has no control over what happens to parcels in between IW and receipt by courier. Similarly, couriers (whether employed or self-employed) to a large degree are in control of when they choose to deliver and if they are particularly busy one day, or quiet in an area another day, parcels will be carried over.

I don't think one factor can be blamed: you really are in the lap of the Gods when placing an order with any online company and getting to know your local courier can help - particularly if you are privy to their phone number (something you will get with Hermes couriers, but not HDNL/DHL etc).

Well I ordered the UBIsurfer for my sons Christmas on the 20th They were saying I would get pre Christmas Delivery so I went ahead and ordered it, low and behold as usual it hasn't even been dispatched yet so no chance. Well that will be the last order that I place with them and I have spent nearly a £1000 at ideal world this year

Hi No my order didnt come. I phoned customer services this morning and was told it had been dispatched and I would receive it so stayed in all day waiting. So now have nothing for my son. A very unhappy ex customer.

Glad yours turned up Neonpuss.

Hi No my order didnt come. I phoned customer services this morning and was told it had been dispatched and I would receive it so stayed in all day waiting. So now have nothing for my son. A very unhappy ex customer.

Glad yours turned up Neonpuss.

How annoying - especiallu as you needed the stuff and i didn't.

They'll probably blame the weather now. Although out lane was like an ice rink and we had three different delivery vans come down no problem.

Hope your son sin't too disappointed - I know how they get at Christmas.

My son wasnt upset as my mum and dad got him loads. I was the upset one at not having a proper present for him.

Latest posts

Back