Christmas TSV 23/09/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I saw a magazine I think for food but didn’t hang around long enough to find out.The Christmas cards are out there though.I understand that those with large families want to get organised but those of us with little or no family have to endure this torture every day for months.Yes I must be reminded I am not in a loving warm family anymore, me & 1000’s others.

I have always written my first (draft) list of gifts to buy on 1st September, despite often having bought stuff. At that date there's still one third of the year still left & even though I love Christmas I don't focus on IT to the exclusion of everything else.

Our shops are very poorly stocked at present and buying items online is often not an option as they won’t send (yes I’m looking at you Q) so I am going to get the few I do buy to those o the mainland gift wrapped and sent direct.

I needed a pair of tights and Marks only had about 6 pairs in total so when you take it over 3 sizes and 3 colours there was no choice whatsoever.

Our shops are very poorly stocked at present and buying items online is often not an option as they won’t send (yes I’m looking at you Q) so I am going to get the few I do buy to those o the mainland gift wrapped and sent direct.

I needed a pair of tights and Marks only had about 6 pairs in total so when you take it over 3 sizes and 3 colours there was no choice whatsoever.
What a stupid situation, how do 'they' expect people to deal with low stock levels on the High Street & what is in effect an embargo on internet shopping?

Attachments

• Pac Man TSV 1.jpg
    Pac Man TSV 1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Pac Man TSV 2.jpg
    Pac Man TSV 2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Pac Man TSV 3.jpg
    Pac Man TSV 3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 69
Arcade1Up Partycade Plus 17" LCD Arcade Machine, 10 Games including Pacman
Item Number: 721564
QVC Price £269.00
Todays Special Value Price £199.98
P&P £5.95
3 Easy Pays of £66.66

Designed to look like a classic arcade machine, the PartyCade Plus from Arcade1Up offers a variety of ten classic games, including all-time favourites like Pacman, Pac Mania Galaga and the new Rally-X, and features original artwork on a 17" colour display and classic joystick controls. Providing amusement galore for the whole family, host games nights with friends and relive childhood nostalgia with this retro-style arcade machine.

*A great saving : If you were to buy this Arcade Machine and games from QVCUK.com after this offer ends, you’d pay £269, plus P&P. So for our Today’s Special Value price of just £199.98, plus P&P, you’re saving £69.02.

Hours of entertainment - turn your hand to ten old-school games housed in a classic-look arcade machine. Kids and adults alike will enjoy playing solo or battling against each other's high scores on two-player mode. It's the perfect addition to a games room, family gatherings or even a home office!

Hi-tech retro games - fully licenced, and complete with original artwork and coinless operation, relive a blast from the past in full-colour on the impressive 17" LCD display.

Versatile gaming - this portable machine can be played anywhere in your home that has a mains outlet. It comes with screw in tabletop legs for when you're sitting, hangers so it can be easily attached to the back of a door, or you can even mount it to a wall for stand-up gaming.

• Up to two players
  • Mains powered (no batteries needed)

Choose between:

• Super Pacman (yellow) - games include Super Pac-Man, Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Dig Dug 2, Pac-Land, Pac-Mania, Mappy, Rompers, new Rally-X and Rolling Thunder
Or

• Galaga (blue) - games include Galaga, Galaxian, Galaga ‘88, Gaplus, King & Balloon, Motos, Xevious, Bosconian, Grobda, and Dragon Spirit

What's in the box?

• 1 x PartyCade Plus Game Machine
  • 1 x UK power adaptor
  • 1 x Instructions manual
  • 1 x Installation instructions

I always order from M&S food for Xmas been told not happening this year and the other supermarkets and even butchers will be the same. You go in and what ever is there buy it.

The smaller energy suppliers, many, will go bust. Three already have gone bust. Animals cannot be slaughtered as they do not have the gas to stun them. They had a pig farm on the morning news and the two sisters running it cannot get their pigs to slaughter and talking about going bust. The gas is even used in the packaging food. So perfect storm, Brexit cannot get the normal workers over from the EU, COVID and now the massive price rises in gas.

Simply put, we are all doomed.

I only took out a new gas contract 3 days ago, and today it is all over the news about smaller suppliers going bust, so possibly my new one :(

Also, I thought we were all supposed to be cutting down on Carbon Dioxide, and now we discover that we are in trouble because we cannot make enough of it. You couldn't make it up!

It`ll be a wartime 1940`s revival Christmas with corned beef hash instead of turkey, hand made paper chains for decorations, black out curtains to keep the warmth in for when the gas and electric have to be turned off cos of a 3 day week. Kids will have just one toy wrapped in newspaper and an orange will be such a rarity it will be a thing of wonder to stare at.
Fireplaces will be opened up to burn logs, old furniture, or wood foraged from nearby land because their gas fires and boilers are temporarily defunct. Peoples Yankee candle stash will need their own security protection as candles become scarce and worth their weight in gold. There`ll be fights in supermarket aisles over the last loaf of bread or packet of bacon and Mars Bars may have to be cut into several pieces to hand out amongst the family.
Everybody will start buying newspapers not because they want to read them but because they`re ideal as emergency toilet paper or kindling for the fire. Folks will keep a pig in their back yard or chickens in their sheds and Grandma`s rose bushes are dug up to grow carrots and onions. Ohhhhh we are in for such a hard time aren`t we ?
Meanwhile back in reality if we can`t get a turkey then so what ? If kids have to wait for their overpriced made in China toys then so what ? If we have to eat tinned fruit and frozen veg for a while then so what ? Those of us who remember previous 3 day weeks, power cuts, bin men strikes, miners strikes etc all lived to tell the tale and those of us with any backbone will just get on with it, develop ways and means around it all and practise what our parents taught us ie make do and mend and we will STILL be miles better off and luckier than any of our previous generations. You never know , it may do the snowflake kids of today a power of good not to have everything they want when they want it and hope of hope is they may actually appreciate things for a change. I won`t hold my breath though.

Oh, I remember the 3-day week. I was at school, and we kept hoping they would let us go home.😂 No.

We also had the Workers' Strike here in N.I. It was all to do with power-sharing, yes really. So electric was turned off and the gas supply as well. My dad was cooking outside in the yard on the thing that the coal sat on in the fire place. Yes, pots boiling with potatoes etc in them. The shops were shut you had to queue up for bread and milk etc. Go to the local Orange Hall and ask the UDA to get coal delivered to your house. Roads blocked to stop people who wanted to go to work from doing so.

I was thinking this year of not buying turkey, but going for beef or even veggie beef wellington. M&S do stuffed chicken slices and I even though a packet of those and just roast my potatoes will do.

I have all my presents apart from my aunt bought throughout the year. My aunt gets biscuits and chocolates.

Then of course the excitement of the £100 voucher we are getting. Yes, it opens on the 27th for applying, you have to be on the electoral list to apply. Cannot use it online only in shops, I asked in Boots on Saturday could I use it there, and it was yes and also House of Fraser yes again.

In my store we were getting complaints almost every day because we hadn't got in next year's calendars, in spite of the fact that we were only just at the start of September so there was almost four months before they started.

When a few came in last Friday we put them out and sold most of them over the weekend.

I know that if I bought a calendar so far in advance I'd misplace it before January 1st and have to buy another!

We'er already selling lots of Christmas cards and I was asked yesterday for Christmas wrapping paper.

I was in Home Bargains last week and they had 2 aisles dedicated to Christmas decorations, cards , gift bags etc. They also had Christmas chocs and other Christmas food items. The World`s gone mad !

Latest posts

Back