Claire on saving watch batteries

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rosielinks

Registered Shopper
I don't know if anyone saw this show - I think it may have been Skagen but Clare mentioned a couple of times that if you pull out the winder on your watch it stops the battery and so doesn't run down when you aren't wearing it. If you have lots of different watches it does make sense to preserve the batteries.
I repeated this to my jeweller this and he said that it could cause the batteries to leak and thus ruin the whole watch. Is he just being alarmist and protecting his business or does anyone else do this?

I have quite a few watches and always pull out the winder, never had a leaky watch battery (touch wood).

I'd love to know what magic little tool jewellers use to get the back off watches so I can replace the batteries myself without scratching the case, as the batteries themselves are cheap if I could do the replacing myself?

Jude xx

I used to do that all the time. Then was told it was a waste as the hands still sort of twitch which means they are using power anyway. I did look and indeed one hand did seem to twitch slightly.

I don't know if anyone saw this show - I think it may have been Skagen but Clare mentioned a couple of times that if you pull out the winder on your watch it stops the battery and so doesn't run down when you aren't wearing it. If you have lots of different watches it does make sense to preserve the batteries.
I repeated this to my jeweller this and he said that it could cause the batteries to leak and thus ruin the whole watch. Is he just being alarmist and protecting his business or does anyone else do this?

Hi rosielinks, I do this to my watches (mainly Swatch ones) and have never had a problem :happy: I can't see why stopping the battery makes it any more likely to leak :thinking: Do watch batteries have the ability to leak anyway, as they're not alkaline?

:flower:

I have quite a few watches and always pull out the winder, never had a leaky watch battery (touch wood).

I'd love to know what magic little tool jewellers use to get the back off watches so I can replace the batteries myself without scratching the case, as the batteries themselves are cheap if I could do the replacing myself?

Jude xx

Type watch back opener into Google,they cost though.

i have a skagen which has needed a battery for yonks but ive never got around to it. do they need a special type of battery with them being so thin or is it just a standard jobby?

I had a right drama getting a battery in my Skagen. Most jewellers here will not touch a watch unless they sell the brand. The ones in the mall, cheap watches but will do batteries could not get the back off as it was so slim and tight(oh er missus), their tools were too big. Symingtons jewellers did also try and same thing, tools too big for the back.

Evenually found a shop that sells nothing but watches in Queens Arcade called The Watch Shop.:bow: They had no problem getting the back off and on again and they sell so many different brands they have all the tools. Costs me £6 and I take all my watches there now. Yes, I have a wardrobe of watches in QVC speak.

with Skagen watches, I have found, the problem is not the battery but the watch strap. Because they are so thin, if you want to replace the strap (mine is leather) you have to send it off in the post and it costs about a third of the price of the whole watch in the first place. £25 for a new strap. I am keeping the old one, but as it is white it is looking a bit ropey now. They don't ell you this when you purchase the watch.

I had a right drama getting a battery in my Skagen. Most jewellers here will not touch a watch unless they sell the brand. The ones in the mall, cheap watches but will do batteries could not get the back off as it was so slim and tight(oh er missus), their tools were too big. Symingtons jewellers did also try and same thing, tools too big for the back.

Sounds like my cup of tea :devil:

Jude xx

I think you mean the watchmakers screwdriver and I have found that you can still scratch the back of the watch trying to prize it apart.

I always do this, as I have a few watches, in fact one of my skagen watches, came with a plastic tag between the winder and the face which meant the winder was pulled out., cant imagine why not doing this would cause the battery to leak.

Latest posts

Back