Competition Begging

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If someone asks I will reply

Thought it was just me!

It's not just the begging for competitions.

It's also the repeated requests for the items over & over when they're not done within 5 minutes of asking, although to be honest it's not asking more like demanding.

Also, telling the auctioneer to go lower on prices.

Tonight an item closed & someone wanted it & claimed she had not been able to buy it because her computer had thrown a wobbly although it was working well enough for her to ask for the price to be dropped by around £40. Between her and someone else in chat they begged for it to be shown again & at first Barry refused but they kept going on & on about it until he gave in. This was all done in capitals & had it been real life would've been extremely rude.

Then there's the ones who are just attention seekers especially when Steve is on, repeating their posts until he acknowledges them it's like a verbal version of a child waving their arm & shouting "me, me, me!"

This may make me sound heartless & I'm not but it's really depressing in chat when people start on about their illnesses or their families & friends illnesses or deaths. I come on rocks to forget about my problems not to have to hear about other peoples. Sorry.

I'll get off me soapbox & get me coat now.

:1:Hi Janey,
Sorry that you feel that way about someone enquiring about the health of another person!
I myself have been asked how my health has been, and I have been touched by all the well wishes I've received from lots of people, it's very uplifting.
I'm so sorry if this has offended you in anyway!

Best Wishes,
Mirabelle.

To be fair Rocks started them and advertise them in Magazines and such, I believe, so once started I guess they have become expected. I have howled for Comps too but as joke and stopped when I saw that there would be no more. Nice to see the 10% of for Xmas on CR though. :23:

ps I find the gut spilling stuff on Chat a bit off as well. It is visible to the Public and Lord knows what they think of some of the personal stuff that goes on there. Nowt wrong with asking after someone but there are limits to intensely sad personal stuff being opened up to Public view. best dealt with on a one to one basis.

Last edited:
Thought it was just me!

It's not just the begging for competitions.

It's also the repeated requests for the items over & over when they're not done within 5 minutes of asking, although to be honest it's not asking more like demanding.

Also, telling the auctioneer to go lower on prices.

Tonight an item closed & someone wanted it & claimed she had not been able to buy it because her computer had thrown a wobbly although it was working well enough for her to ask for the price to be dropped by around £40. Between her and someone else in chat they begged for it to be shown again & at first Barry refused but they kept going on & on about it until he gave in. This was all done in capitals & had it been real life would've been extremely rude.

Then there's the ones who are just attention seekers especially when Steve is on, repeating their posts until he acknowledges them it's like a verbal version of a child waving their arm & shouting "me, me, me!"

This may make me sound heartless & I'm not but it's really depressing in chat when people start on about their illnesses or their families & friends illnesses or deaths. I come on rocks to forget about my problems not to have to hear about other peoples. Sorry.

I'll get off me soapbox & get me coat now.

I do agree about the continual requests, I find that annoying too.

Your comment about people chatting about their health etc... and how you go on Rocks to forget your problems, that is what you do but others won't go there for the same reason. Some will feel they have friends on there whom they go to have a chat with while watching to see what jewellery catches their eye. As people have become friends you are bound to get people asking how someone is, or if someone in their family is doing better etc..... It is worth remembering that some for some people the rocks chat might be their only outlet, they maybe don't speak or see people very often and to them rocks is a lifeline.

To be fair Rocks started them and advertise them in Magazines and such, I believe, so once started I guess they have become expected. I have howled for Comps too but as joke and stopped when I saw that there would be no more. Nice to see the 10% of for Xmas on CR though. :23:

ps I find the gut spilling stuff on Chat a bit off as well. It is visible to the Public and Lord knows what they think of some of the personal stuff that goes on there. Nowt wrong with asking after someone but there are limits to intensely sad personal stuff being opened up to Public view. best dealt with on a one to one basis.

Your comment about people chatting about their health etc... and how you go on Rocks to forget your problems, that is what you do but others won't go there for the same reason. Some will feel they have friends on there whom they go to have a chat with while watching to see what jewellery catches their eye. As people have become friends you are bound to get people asking how someone is, or if someone in their family is doing better etc..... It is worth remembering that some for some people the rocks chat might be their only outlet, they maybe don't speak or see people very often and to them rocks is a lifeline.

Point taken, Sazza

This is always going to be the case, as Sazza says for some people this may be their only outlet.

I've had a moan about requests in Chat before but it seems it's never going to change - now as has been said you can add the cries for a competition in there - then redraws. I'm resigned to it.

Quite frankly if you don't like what is going on in Chat, just ignore it or you even have the facility to switch it off altogether.

Also likewise a few people have had a little go at this particular thread on Chat - if they don't like it, there is no need to read it - though human nature being what it is they are all curious! :lol

For the first time this afternoon I did actually switch off Chat - it was the discussion regarding nappy changing and contents of them that wasn't quite to my taste!!!!! :lol :blink

Well I think we may have gone off topic a little. I don't like the yelling at the competitions, but that is all. I started this thread because I wasn't sure if it was just me. As I said at the start, it may just be a me thing.

As the thread has progressed, I can understand why people have gotten upset about some of the comments made.

We are all the first to yell when people make upsetting or offensive comments in the Rocks Chat, so maybe we should extend that to here.

For clarification purposes, I never at any point mentioned the contents of any nappy. I merely said what she had had for her tea. Other people then chatted about their babies. No mention of nappy contents again.
If you had a problem with this Sara, you should have said so on the chat.
It's quite obvious that people are going to make friends in a chat room, and I for one enjoy the chat that goes along with the jewellery.

I am a new mum, (be it quite an old one!), stuck at home with a 7 month old baby. I live on an island where the next child is 10, so feel quite isolated.
Rocks chat offers me the chance to buy some fantastic jewellery, and to be able to chat away whilst I'm waiting for something that takes my fancy.

Yes this has gone off on a tangent, but for the future, if you don't like something that's being said, use the x button or please let me know. Or pm me. I would be grateful if you could let this lie now. If you need to answer me, please pm me.

And yes Sheffield Owl I quite agree. It gets on my nerves when people go on about the comps. I wish they'd get rid of them.

A xxx

Ally, I'm replying, very briefly on the thread because it's relevant (and I have the right of reply! :lol) - as you have obviously taken my throwaway comment very personally and been offended!
(I can PM you as well but this seems OTT to be quite honest)

You have chosen to mention the various courses of action I could have taken, on Rocks, but I took the one most appropriate to me personally at the time - nothing else was warranted.

(I did see your original post on here, in it's entirety - before you amended it, and your post on Rocks later about my last paragraph - so the same could be said about you getting in touch with me! :smile)

As I also said in my post (agreeing with Sazza) - I obviously do know people like to chat on there, about anything/everything, absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, in my mind (and I said that) - I simply exercised my right and turned the Chat off.

Now have a fab weekend up in that wild, beautiful part of the country and hope you find lots of bargains on Rocks to tempt you! :biggrin

I'm guilty of shouting for an item in the chat box - the live help wasn't working and I really, really wanted to buy a ring. It was Chris' last day at work before the wedding and I knew he'd be home soon, and I had to had to had to have it - my last opportunity to buy as a single woman!! A few people helped me out by requesting for me in case it hadn't been noticed, and while at the time I thought it was funny I can see now how it could have been annoying for others - sorry!!

I'm guilty of shouting for an item in the chat box - the live help wasn't working and I really, really wanted to buy a ring. It was Chris' last day at work before the wedding and I knew he'd be home soon, and I had to had to had to have it - my last opportunity to buy as a single woman!! A few people helped me out by requesting for me in case it hadn't been noticed, and while at the time I thought it was funny I can see now how it could have been annoying for others - sorry!!

Hey Tootsie - welcome back! :biggrin

:lol It was a one-off, it was a special occasional - we'll let you off - just this once, mind!

personaly I dont like the comp begging....I have enquired as the the well being of other users and I am sorry if it gets on other peoples nerves....as a previous poster pointed out, we dont know the life stories of others, for some this may be the only outlet for a quick chat with other people.

Noticed in chat last night someone 'complaining' they'd got told off for asking about competitions, and others urging them on with comments like "if you don't ask, you don't get". It was explained to them that the competitions were a nice bonus, and they would probably stop if it was abused, didn't seem to make much difference tho'. I didn't watch much yesterday as I had endless problems with the chatbox and the site. When I did watch earlier in the day, things seemed to be going quite slowly, I felt sorry for Ian Danter.

:doggie:

Latest posts

Back