Curing my QVC addiction...one step at a time

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Laura L'occitane Earle

Registered Shopper
Thanks to Wrongsideof40 for the brilliant "brainwashed" thread...It really got me thinking about how addicted I was, and how I cured my addiction. And it just confirms to me why I really love this forum. It completely cures my QVC addiction, and makes me chuckle at the same time.

Since I discovered y'all 16 months ago, my bank balance has spluttered back to health.

I had worn out the red button on my remote control...literally. It just stopped working from over use.

Q-cut was on my speed dial.

I knew my QVC membership number off by heart.

I could repeat word for word the spiel of the guests, and knew more then I really wanted to be about the presenters, their measurements, their kids, you name it...too much info. I know these people better then I know some of my relatives!

Whoever switched the TV on, it came on to QVC.

I would stay up to watch the TSV launches, even the ones that I had no interest in buying.

I was trying to get my family and friends to buy QVC stuff that I was into...I swear some of them thought I was on commission.

The day I knew I was in trouble was when my third parcel of the day had been delivered, and I sneaked it upstairs so DH wouldn't see, hastily opened it and then shoved it out of sight into a cupboard which was filled with similar half opened packages. The penny dropped. I was addicted to the buzz of seeing, ordering but not actually really using the stuff. When I looked in the mirror, I didn't see someone who spent hundreds of pounds on make-up and skin care. I saw a woman who looked exhausted from too little sleep (from sleeping past midnight every day). I had turned into someone who thought that accumulating things would make her happy, but they clearly were not.

Now, the only thing I buy from QVC are LG TSVS - probably because I can't really purchase them from anywhere else.

And I don't watch QVC, unless it is something that I am really interested in.

I have less products, but use them more, and my "stuff" no longer oppresses me.

So, big thanks to you all, for sharing your experiences, for making me think before I buy and for helping me realise that the emperor is actually really, literally naked in the body area. xxx

When did you know you were addicted and how are you curing yourself?

I feel it is like stopping smoking. I have in the past managed to stop buying for 3 or 4 months, then buy one thing and before I know it the deliveries start arriving again. Today I have agonised about buying a couple of things, have watched the videos several times, looked at reviews on other websites and so far have managed not to put orders in. Tonight though I think it has all been put in perspective for me. I watched the Comic Relief programme Famous, rich and in the slums. To see the horror of where these people live and how they cope made very difficult viewing. Instead of buying 2 things that would probably end up unused my money will be going to Comic Relief and will hopefully help someone just to get through another day.

I think the triple whammy of the fear of being made redundant, the rise in VAT and the general increase in prices (esp petrol) has made me very careful about what I spend on QVC. Whereas I would always watch the shows on OPI, Leighton Denny, Nails Inc, and Kipling I don't bother now so I am not tempted to spend - I'll look at the TSVs they do but it would have to be something very special to make me want to order.

My real weakness is for Lola Rose and Honora - I will have to be very strict with myself when those shows are on :sweat:

Laura L'occitane Earle I laughed at your post because I can relate to everything you said. It's scary !!
When I first found QVC , around 8 yrs ago I was a bit wary at first. That didn't last long , I soon got into the swing of things. Once the first parcel arrived I was HOOKED. It was sooo easy. I loved getting the parcels. Everytime someone switched the tv on it was on the QVC channel. I drove my family nuts. Not only was it always on the tv but it was all I talked about. I told everyone about this wonderful shopping channel.
I don't watch it that much now , I can't remember when I last watched a full hour. I still keep flipping it on though just to check whats on. I have to be a lot more careful now. I certainly don't spend as much as I did. I can honestly say though that almost all of my purchases from them I WOULD NOT have bought if I had seen them in the high street.
I am currently trying to talk myself out of the nutrasonic over on Ideal World, that I saw over the weekend. No way would I go into town and part with £90 for a sonic facebrush. So why do I keep talking myself into NEEDING this item ? HELP :headbang:

Laura L'occitane Earle I laughed at your post because I can relate to everything you said. It's scary !!
When I first found QVC , around 8 yrs ago I was a bit wary at first. That didn't last long , I soon got into the swing of things. Once the first parcel arrived I was HOOKED. It was sooo easy. I loved getting the parcels. Everytime someone switched the tv on it was on the QVC channel. I drove my family nuts. Not only was it always on the tv but it was all I talked about. I told everyone about this wonderful shopping channel.
I don't watch it that much now , I can't remember when I last watched a full hour. I still keep flipping it on though just to check whats on. I have to be a lot more careful now. I certainly don't spend as much as I did. I can honestly say though that almost all of my purchases from them I WOULD NOT have bought if I had seen them in the high street.
I am currently trying to talk myself out of the nutrasonic over on Ideal World, that I saw over the weekend. No way would I go into town and part with £90 for a sonic facebrush. So why do I keep talking myself into NEEDING this item ? HELP :headbang:

Ok Step away from the Nutrasonic! I was thinking of getting this as well esp as it was on flexi pay but I resisted! the reason, the second flexi pay would have come out my account just before next pay day and normally by that point I am running pretty low on cash! And I would probably forget it was coming off! So how much did I want this? not enough to have the constant niggly feeling in the back of my head that I need to watch my account, or the worry that I might get bank charges etc etc! So for my sanity I decided to give it a miss and I'm sure my skin would be ok without it at the end of the day anyway!

It's like any addiction/compulsion, it's normally done alone and the evidence gets hidden...sweet wrappers under the mattress anyone?:sweat:

Try this, if you really want that 'thing' then wait until the house is full, kids home from school, hubbie sitting there (or imagine the bank manager) then get the phone and dial... no q-cut, no red button, no on-line shopping... speak to someone and say outloud what you are buying and how much it costs...

BETCH YA WON'T DO IT :happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

(mum writes)

Oh dear, I think like so many others, I can see myself in here so much and, yes, it's scary. I've curbed my purchasing because of the financial meltdown, but also because there's little of interest to buy now. I'm not totally cured, I do still buy items, even when I've got loads in the cupboard I've not yet even opened, but it all seems so tempting. I rely on my son to put me off buying. I remember a couple of years ago, I'd hide my phone under the cushion so he wouldn't hear the tones dialling Q-Cut for that TSV!

One thing that has really helped me stop is using the basket on the website. By the time it's due to clear itself, I've usually been able to talk myself out of needing the stuff in the first place. My bank is better off for it! I still have a ways to go but I'm getting there. The final crunch was when my regular postie left before Christmas. On his first day, his new replacement said "I was told I'd be coming here a lot!". The parcel man in the van has said as much. Time to stop methinks!

I prdered 2 items from the Judith Williams range the other day.2 pieces from Butler & Wison & at the moment I am deciding whether to keep or return the Tua Trend ( on EP but when you look at the full cost!!!)This is all after I have acknowledged that QVC can offer me very little that I can't get on the High St. I realised I had to tackle my problem when I was desparately trying to find a Kipling bag to buy--I didn't, there wasn't anything I remotely wanted!!! Oh I forgot I returned a B. Mackosky ( or whatever!sp?) handbag which was very nice, but too heavy, never mind the price!I am starting now, 13:20 on Friday 4th March, no more buying from QVC ( well not for a very long time)& without putting myself through the third degree.Anyone joining me?

I knew I was addicted because my hubby was trying to get a new mortgage deal and I was "ousted" by HSBC,as they wanted to see my credit card statements.

They weren't like huge and in the thousands - but it was a bill and a balance my lovely hubby knew nothing about - and EVERY transaction was a QVC one.

We really struggle for money - and I literally felt ill at having to "own up" on how much I spend at QVC.It was all there documented and I felt so sad,that I'm just constantly *treating* myself at QVC - when really we have no money to enjoy the other luxuries in life.

I came on here and wrote about it,entitled "my love affair with QVC is over" and it really is.I buy now and again - but no way am I in the position I was - and I'm much happier for it.

I'm not spending a fortune at the post office sending my guilty pleasures back - I'm not *hiding* either my purchases or my bank balance.I'm not in *fear* of the letter of the buying and sending back cycle - and the things I have bought,are well loved,used and considered - not bought on a whim,because they were limited stock,a OTO,a TSV,a superbargain price,in clearance,or just because I wanted them.

Theres lots of things I do want - I'm just learning that I can't have everything I want.I,too,love Laura geller - but for example,her last TSV,I just couldn't afford,and have to live with that.I managed to convince myself that I didn't want it,and its a shame because the reviews are good................but I couldn't afford it and thats life.I'm learning and 99% of the time,it feels good not to dread my credit card bill!!

Thanks to Wrongsideof40 for the brilliant "brainwashed" thread...It really got me thinking about how addicted I was, and how I cured my addiction. And it just confirms to me why I really love this forum. It completely cures my QVC addiction, and makes me chuckle at the same time.

I knew my QVC membership number off by heart.

Whoever switched the TV on, it came on to QVC.

I would stay up to watch the TSV launches, even the ones that I had no interest in buying.

The day I knew I was in trouble was when my third parcel of the day had been delivered, and I sneaked it upstairs so DH wouldn't see, hastily opened it and then shoved it out of sight into a cupboard which was filled with similar half opened packages. The penny dropped. I was addicted to the buzz of seeing, ordering but not actually really using the stuff. When I looked in the mirror, I didn't see someone who spent hundreds of pounds on make-up and skin care. I saw a woman who looked exhausted from too little sleep (from sleeping past midnight every day). I had turned into someone who thought that accumulating things would make her happy, but they clearly were not. I have less products, but use them more, and my "stuff" no longer oppresses me.

When did you know you were addicted and how are you curing yourself?

All of those resonated with me! I even get up early at weekends to catch the postman before my husband sees yet another parcel delivered to go with the other hundred!

I am not curing myself yet - but recognising the problem is a start. Must go now though-off to watch the recording of last night's TSV launch............................!

I knew I was addicted because my hubby was trying to get a new mortgage deal and I was "ousted" by HSBC,as they wanted to see my credit card statements.

They weren't like huge and in the thousands - but it was a bill and a balance my lovely hubby knew nothing about - and EVERY transaction was a QVC one.

We really struggle for money - and I literally felt ill at having to "own up" on how much I spend at QVC.It was all there documented and I felt so sad,that I'm just constantly *treating* myself at QVC - when really we have no money to enjoy the other luxuries in life.

I came on here and wrote about it,entitled "my love affair with QVC is over" and it really is.I buy now and again - but no way am I in the position I was - and I'm much happier for it.

I'm not spending a fortune at the post office sending my guilty pleasures back - I'm not *hiding* either my purchases or my bank balance.I'm not in *fear* of the letter of the buying and sending back cycle - and the things I have bought,are well loved,used and considered - not bought on a whim,because they were limited stock,a OTO,a TSV,a superbargain price,in clearance,or just because I wanted them.

Theres lots of things I do want - I'm just learning that I can't have everything I want.I,too,love Laura geller - but for example,her last TSV,I just couldn't afford,and have to live with that.I managed to convince myself that I didn't want it,and its a shame because the reviews are good................but I couldn't afford it and thats life.I'm learning and 99% of the time,it feels good not to dread my credit card bill!!

I remember your post really clearly Rainbowdottie, and it made me think hard about my own problems with spending more money than I have at QVC. I have managed to cut back, but it really is a one day at a time thing. Thanks to all of you who have been brave and honest enough to post here about the odd compulsion we have with QVC!

Bring part of the F.A.R.T.S really helped me. I'm waaay better than I used to be. At first I needed the other F.A.R.T.S to point out the error of my ways, but as time went on they slowly trained me up and now I can channel Loveheart and Bakergirl et al and say the same things to myself in my very own brain! :blush::sun:

It doesn't make any sense to pay nigh on £50 inc postage for an 8 piece kit when I really only want one or two of the items, and I probably only want them because they're new and seem exciting. :blush:

If I buy them and start using them, then I'll have to consign similar products I've already got on the go to the back of the drawer where they will slowly and inevitably go off. If I buy them and add them to The Stash, then all the excitement will have worn off by the time I use them and I'll probably find it a chore to use them up.

You can't always get a proper look at the size and colour of things on TV, let alone the smell and texture, and it's expensive and annoying to have to send things back.

Sales techniques work on the illogical part of our brains, the F.A.R.T.S. helped me and loads of other people to bring the logic back to our purchasing decisions and only buy things we really genuinely would love and use rather than getting bamboozled by sales patter into thinking we need things we really don't.

It's more enjoyable to shop at QVC when every purchase is a good one, and it's even better for QVC because of the reduced return rate.

So.. yeah..... Put me down as a fan of the F.A.R.T.S! :mysmilie_480::mysmilie_481:

the way I try to deal with buying from QVC is to ask myself if I would buy it if it was for sale on a market stall....that usually helps!

I think that all we recovering F.A.R.T.S. are doing extremely well and deserve to give ourselves a pat on the back and a small reward-not from QVC though. Today, tomorrow, some of us, myself included will fall off the wagon. We are allowed to, we are human beings. A tiny tip which helps me is the one I use to stop me eating when I don't need to, - these addictions crop up everywhere, damn them!!!- I wait for half an hour and tell myself if , after that time I still want it, I can have it. Mostly, by the time half an hour is up I've forgotten about it.
F.A.R.T.S. united, best wishes from Springflower.

I love all these posts. Up until a couple of years ago I was constantly ordering from QVC. Because of no pay rise for three years, the rise in VAT and the general cost of living going up I don't just impulse buy any more. I really wanted the Elemis TSV but stopped myself, its hair highlights next week and that costs a fortune. I have credit cards but like others on here I used to look at my credit card statement and every purchase was from QVC. Plus of course a lot of products are cheaper on other websites. My love affair with QVC is definitely over. I very rarely watch a complete hour these days.

I empathise with all your posts as I'm just the same but getting much, much better since finding this site & trying to F.A.R.T.

Not there yet though, I still fall off the wagon far too often, just this week I ordered three silver rings from clearance.:doh:

The way that's working best for me is to buy all I want in my basket online, then go off & brush one of the dogs or do something else useful till the basket has cleared or I've talked myself into clicking all the clear item boxes. Bit like window shopping. :happy:
With a bit of luck I'll soon be able to F.A.R.T, as good as the dogs. :happy:

I have been in a really lucky position that i could order and buy what i wanted. I lost my job end of the year and now think well if i buy that it could pay for A B C.
It is better in my pocket than QVC. When i am tempted by a TSV i go upstairs and empty my stash on my bed and reality strikes. I already have ten blushes (at least) eyeshadows in every colour of the rainbow ect so why do i need more, i will be about 100 before it runs out.
If you can resist until the end hour of a TSV then you forget about it and move on to the next temptation.
How many times do you order, get the long awaited parcel and feel ohhh Sh** is this it now i have got to pay for it.

I've certainly curbed my spending after joining the F.A.R.T.S. I just wish I'd found this forum when I first got freeview. The novelty of ordering stuff I didn't need from the television was over-powering!

However, as I posted in the 'Brainwashed' thread, what really woke me up from my shopping fixation was when QVC sent me a paper copy of ALL my purchases since I made my first one in January 2007. To see a 5 figure sum in the total box cured me instantly and I've bought nothing for two months and, apart from two items that I re-order because I can't buy them elsewhere at the moment, I am 99% certain I won't hit the QCut button again.

But if I do, I'll own up and let you all know.

I got a real shock the other day i had a clear out in my wardrobe and realised how much carp i had bought from qvc.I knew i had a problem when the wardrobe in the spare bedroom was over full with more qvc rubbish so was the spare bedroom floor.

As i now have got rid of all boxs im so disgusted with myself. If i am tempted to buy anything i just pop upstairs open my wardrobe and soon change my mind.

Would not care on top of this went to florida last year bought 40 yes 40 bottles of philosophy shower gels most of which you can't get here sucked in again.
im sinking in all the buubles

I can honestly say that QVC closing my account was the best thing that they could have done for me. I have saved so much money, though it was a sharp shock to the system to go "cold turkey". Over the 15 years I was with them my spending must have been well into the 5 figure range, not to mention how much I spent on returns. I am not tempted at all now, don't bother to watch, have found my CC is much happier and I am going out to the shops and buying what I REALLY decide I want, not just because it's supposed to be such great value. Thanks QVC!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back