Detailed analysis of my QVC spending

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just under four hours parking in Brighton a couple of weeks ago was £18.00. I'm not complaining as it would have cost us at least that much to go on the train.

You do need to factor in petrol, coffee etc when comparing DHS to P&P - not to mention all the other things you end up buying on top of what you actually went there for!! I normally go on a Sunday, local shopping mall only charges a £1 for all day, most of the shops are open.

I go through patches buying/returning stuff from Q, but generally keep most things. I don't think I often buy more that one or two items at a time but there should definitely be a single P&P per order with a maximum limit

We all seem to have been through similar experiences! I haven't ordered for a while ( for me) now as the last 2 items were returned on the day I received them.I feel disappointed when items arrive when I look at the price & don't feel they are value for money.I will be looking out for the Liz Earle TSV & will order if I feel I would use the majority of the products.I luckily have the time to hit the dreaded High street for free on my bus pass or large shopping centre with free parking so why would I order from Q & pay the OTT P&P charges?It has taken me a long time to get here, but better late than never!

I gave up buying from QVC a couple of years ago, I gave up watching too. I can honestly say that I haven't missed either, if I want something, I can source it elsewhere, cheaper, and usually free p+p, or considerably less than Q charges. If I do go to The Dreaded High Street, it usually costs me £1.60 to park for up to 3 hours, which is plenty of time to get what I need, and as I don't drink coffee, I don't spend a fortune on cappuchinos either :tongue:

I am a bit shocked by how much some of you guys return to QVC. Am I the only one who keeps the vast majority of what I order?

I've only returned a handful of the things that I've bought, but I've bought more than a HUGE handful, as the print out of my purchases that they sent me confirmed. And by HUGE I mean a 5-figure amount that I've stuffed into their coffers. :eek:

Seeing it in black and white was a jolt into reality! I now generally only buy re-orders of things and that's only if I can't source them cheaper elsewhere (and I usually can.) Occasionally I get something that I fancy, but that's not often nowadays.

Most of the things I've bought have been used or are still in use, although I do have a stockpile of make up and Milkhouse Creamery candles that I've still to make a dent in.

I'll admit that I was sucked in by the novelty of shopping channel television when I first got Freeview, but I'm all but over it now. :wink: And that's my only excuse for my ridiculous spending in the past because I could easily go to the dreaded High Street and not spend anything on car parking as all the car parks in my area are FREE.

I gave up buying from QVC a couple of years ago, I gave up watching too. I can honestly say that I haven't missed either, if I want something, I can source it elsewhere, cheaper, and usually free p+p, or considerably less than Q charges. If I do go to The Dreaded High Street, it usually costs me £1.60 to park for up to 3 hours, which is plenty of time to get what I need, and as I don't drink coffee, I don't spend a fortune on cappuchinos either :tongue:

:blush: I could drink my own weight in cappuccinos! And eat my own weight in Caffe Nero cakes. No problem. Probably account for at least x2 QVC p&p charges every time I go to town, which fortunately isn't very often! :giggle:

when I do go to the DHS part of the fun is stopping off for a coffee or two, I go to a lovely independent cafe where they do delicious cake, I have a browse of the papers and then do a bit of window shopping before I decide what to buy. Always stop off at TK max and sometimes meet a friend for lunch. I don't do this often but I do make a day of it and really enjoy it. As for Q, I am so shocked by the p and p and the relentless way is creeping ever upwards that I hardly ever order from them. If I like the look of something I do my research and then either get it cheaper or find that after a few day I have forgotten all about what ever it was that caught my eye in the first place.

when I do go to the DHS part of the fun is stopping off for a coffee or two, I go to a lovely independent cafe where they do delicious cake, I have a browse of the papers and then do a bit of window shopping before I decide what to buy. Always stop off at TK max and sometimes meet a friend for lunch. I don't do this often but I do make a day of it and really enjoy it. As for Q, I am so shocked by the p and p and the relentless way is creeping ever upwards that I hardly ever order from them. If I like the look of something I do my research and then either get it cheaper or find that after a few day I have forgotten all about what ever it was that caught my eye in the first place.

Ditto to all of the above minus the cake :grin:

I've just ordered my printout after having to call QVC because there was a charge on OH's credit card from them I didn't recognise. It drives me wild that there is no way to see what card will be charged when using the quick check-out online. The very nice customer service lady suggested getting a print-out, so we'll see what happens. Didn't order much since May but fell off the wagon a bit this month, though there are a couple of things for Christmas in the lot.

Overall I haven't returned much - some shoes, Clarks and Birkis where the sizing is just off, and a Lulu Guinness OTO that was very plastic for 100£. Though recently I find that if I fancy something I have a look on the auction site first. Especially Elemis, Emma Hardie and Ojon are easy to find cheaper.

And I love my overpriced coffee when out and about - a lark through Victoria Square usually doesn't yield much expect some Hotel Chocolat chocolates and a doodle through the Apple store but I can't walk past O'Brien's. (in fact, since pay day is the day after my birthday this month that's exactly what I requested from OH - instead of buying me a present we'll have a nice Saturday out and I might treat myself to some Jo Malone)

Agree with the coffee stops fun of going to the 'real' shops! Sounds like a lovely birthday Saturday plan, craftology - enjoy!

I was *managing* my QVC addiction in the last few months...............however in the last 5?8? weeks,I've been really good.

I've found out that my DH is to be made redundant at Christmas,and every penny I have at the moment is stored away for my teens at Christmas.Every time I *want* something,I think of my Children,and how much more important it is,that they have what they want/need......of course it is.

Theres nothing like some good stark reality reason to give yourself,to stop the habit.

The only thing I've bought myself was the last kipling TSV as it was my birthday,and I really wanted the flannel TSV with some left over birthday money,but decided that was better put in the pot for christmas.

I also really like the buckley poppy,as I did last year,and couldn't get one...but a paper one will do fine!!!

I'm like Frazzled: go through patches of buying one or two things at a time from the Q, and don't tend to return much (because I only buy if I'm totally keen on something, rather than just through impulse). It's nice to have stuff come direct to your door, I must admit, and you can get some good deals from Q, but best not to get carried away just ordering willy nilly and slinging it all back (too much hassle and p&p involved lol!), and the easy returns policy is really good to have if you're not happy with something once you actually get it.

I hardly ever return anything. I think in all the years I've been shopping with them I've returned 4 items. Two pairs of shoes that didn't fit, a LG kit ( it was bashed) and a face cream that was awful. Like Minim I love what I buy and it's all mine! I think carefully before buying and tbh it doesn't sit right with me trying out make up etc and then sending it back if I don't like it. I don't know why, it just makes me feel bad.

I dare not add up:sad: I might be very depressed to find out how much I have spent over the years. I have ordered lots of jewellery, many of the the major beauty products, clothes , bags and shoes, vacuum machine, bedding, camera and bits and pieces. I have clothes I have hidden away without wearing as it was too late to send back, some I have given away... some jewellery that I have not worn, but plan to do some day, and so on. I must have been mad :doh:

The beauty of the DHS is you only go where you want and look at what you want, therefore less temptation than having item after item shown on screen. Yep it may cost to park or to get there by train or bus but that`s a one off payment no matter how much you buy, unlike p and p on each item.
I`ve been into town today and just idled along, bought a couple of Christmas pressies and found a couple of bargains for ME. My beloved Samsara EDP was on offer in Boots for £27.99 instead of over £40 and a small perfume shop in town sold me a gift set of Rochas Femme perfume and body lotion, their last one and slightly dented for a wonderful £14.99 so I`m fixed up with perfume for the rest of the Winter.
I miss out the coffee and cake because we have an 11 month old labrador who`se house trained but if she`s left too long she gets into mischief such as dragging the tea towel into her bed or tipping up the cat tray or pulling over a plant so I try not to be out longer than a couple of hours.

Vienna, I did a SnarlySnicker, reading your examples of Puppy'sAntics. I get the feeling you could have gone on, not stopping at the three! Give the Poopster a SnarlyScratch behind the ears for me. x

LOL Snarly how true. She`s 11 months old and still very much a pup. The thing is she does something naughty then looks at you with those soft loving brown eyes and instantly you say " awwww " instead of "grrrrr". She`s our baby and for all she gets into mischief she`s so bright and has been a doddle to house train and teach her commands. On the whole she`s a good-ish girl, just slips off the bandwagon now and again when she`s alone. Today she was good, I arrived home from town and she was still in her bed lying on her back, paws in the air as she usually does. Tomorrow might be a whole different scenario ........

Err... they emailed me my statement today and it's a .xls file that looks like complete gibberish to me.

Vienna, this all sounds really familiar. My pup is now 15 months old and just about starting to come round - she's still mad as all get out (well, she IS a working cocker) but every now and then she has her sensible hat on and generally listens a bit better. Which is nice. I still come home to the occasional mayhem, though!

Latest posts

Back