Diamonds(?)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Who remembers MOISSANITE - - the hype was that even jewellers can't distinguish them from diamond by eye and have to use a special detecting machine?

But on the other hand, they are more sparkling than diamonds.

The 2 statements contradict each other!

BTW I have one.

haha the selly-telly favourite stone!

It's still around - I follow a few places that sell them online.

I am definitely not one of the "most". I can take or leave diamonds. I prefer coloured stones. For glittery accents I would prefer decent white zircons - given the choice. Mum loved a diamond - but I don't see the appeal. Maybe I am missing out on something - but it keeps the jewellery bill down (mostly). :)

I'm the same. I just don't get the appeal of Diamonds at all. They wouldn't even be in my top 50 stones.

Who remembers MOISSANITE - - the hype was that even jewellers can't distinguish them from diamond by eye and have to use a special detecting machine?

But on the other hand, they are more sparkling than diamonds.

The 2 statements contradict each other!

BTW I have one.

it is a status symbol plus with the illusion it goes up in price of course, what TJC always sell on with gold !!!

There's just been 10 minutes about diamonds on the Radio 4 PM prog from about 1720.

DeBeers (who control the market) have reduced the world market price of diamonds because of lab-grown diamonds. The cost of these has now reduced to 10% of the cost of real diamonds.

Lab-grown and natural diamonds have exactly the same properties, except that lab-grown are usually BETTER ie they don't have any inclusions and are a purer colour.

But lab-grown have no after-sale value because the supply is not limited. I think they said 50% of engagement rings are now lab-grown. I believe they have to be marked as lab-grown, otherwise there is no way of telling the difference, even by an expert.

There's just been 10 minutes about diamonds on the Radio 4 PM prog from about 1720.

DeBeers (who control the market) have reduced the world market price of diamonds because of lab-grown diamonds. The cost of these has now reduced to 10% of the cost of real diamonds.

Lab-grown and natural diamonds have exactly the same properties, except that lab-grown are usually BETTER ie they don't have any inclusions and are a purer colour.

But lab-grown have no after-sale value because the supply is not limited. I think they said 50% of engagement rings are now lab-grown. I believe they have to be marked as lab-grown, otherwise there is no way of telling the difference, even by an expert.
May be so visually - but they can definitely tell in a lab or with a diamond testing device.

Lab Diamonds won't have any trace elements - but a natural Diamond will.

My diamond testing device can tell the difference between a real diamond and a synthetic.

that's fascinating so anyone buying real diamonds as an 'investment' will potentially lost cash ... it is not gold is it ?

that's fascinating so anyone buying real diamonds as an 'investment' will potentially lost cash ... it is not gold is it ?

Anyone buying Diamonds at retail prices for 'investment' will likely be in for a shock anyway when they find out that they're offered less than they paid for them years down the line.

The only people that are likely to make any money out of Diamonds are either:

a) Those that can get them at trade prices and sell them on at retail prices.
b) Those with exceptional quality, in-demand, diamonds (ie, flawless or internally flawless).
c) Someone lucky enough to have a huge, larger-than-the-norm, carat weight Diamond of decent quality.

Normal retail grade, included, Diamonds are available en masse - nobody is going to be making big investment profits on those. The same applies for tiny Diamonds sold in clusters rings.

That's exactly why Gemporia presenters say "we can't give investment advice" before giving investment advice in a round-about way. They know that the stones aren't going to go up in value by any significant margin - so they're covering their a**e in case Granny Smith is disappointed in 20 years time when she's offered £400 for the ring she paid £600 for, or, if she's really lucky, offered £600 for the ring she paid £600 for.

Remember Mirabelle, the Gemporia customer that spent thousands buying 'legacy pieces' from them ever since Gemporia started as a business? She passed away and her family had to start a GoFundMe page to pay off her debts. Steve Bennett himself donated £100 to it. If her jewellery had been the 'legacy pieces' she thought she was buying, then the family would have been able to sell her 'investment pieces' to clear her debts. Not only that, but if they truly were 'legacy pieces', instead of Steve Bennett donating £100, you'd have thought he'd have been jumping through hoops to get his hands on Mirabelle's 'legacy pieces' in the knowledge that their value will only increase if they were supposed 'legacy' quality. The fact that he didn't buy them back speaks volumes........

I might be making this up but I have a vague memory of Steve saying, in some of the very early Lorique launches, that he'd buy them back at the price paid. Did I dream that up?

and just flicked over to TJC and they have been the first time I have seen lab grown diamonds, now I normally watch it much later in the night 600 for a pair of earrings
Pandora are doing lab grown diamonds (if you have yet seen their advert on TV) have a look at their website for cost.

Couldn’t agree more, and I’m not convinced about the Lab created stones holding their value like a genuine diamond. To me they are no different to cubic zirconia.
Spot on. One of the key things that gives diamonds its price tag is its perceived rarity.

Anything created in a lab can be made in endless amounts - so they have no rarity appeal at all.

I think the only reason people buy them is because marketing people have brainwashed people into thinking "they're as good as the real thing - but cheaper".

They're actually quite pointless really.

Latest posts

Back