Do you think they`re struggling ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I rarely watch a full hour these days, mainly because of the awful presenters, usually on shows I wanted to watch. Jill Franks, Katy Pullinger (can't stand her voice) Debbie Flint, Miceal and Biaggi.
Also the fact that they now stand up behind that counter thing all the time, Yankee hours used to have a nice relaxed feel when they sat in armchairs, not any more.

A complete overhaul is required, and the sooner the better.
I'm with you and what is with DF every hour that she is on, she has to mention her ******** (please insert word here), retreat, does anyone and I mean anyone give a 'flying whoha'!

It seems they have been having ever more returns in the last year. I was monitoring the reviews of the ones I was interested in, and there are lots of returns on those, namely Laura Geller four last TSVs, recent Alpha H TSV, Mally TSV, Balance and Glow product of the month, Bodi Tec TSV, Ultrasun with tan activator – all poor reviews and saying ‘I’m returning it’.

By the way, beware of the recent Ultrasun purchases, people are saying they burnt, starting from the Tan Activating TSV, and also the TSV after this one, someone was using Sports SPF20 for ages so got the one TSV 4 June 2017 with the Sports SPF20 and her and her husband both burnt in the sun.

Ultrasun Tan Activate & Protect 4 Piece Collection
http://www.qvcuk.com/Ultrasun-Tan-Activate-&-Protect-4-Piece-Collection.product.232874.html?sc=SRCH

Ultrasun 3 Piece Essential Sun Protection Collection
http://www.qvcuk.com/Ultrasun-3-Pie...ection-Collection.product.229570.html?sc=SRCH

I don't buy from Q but I do look at the American Q reviews when they are flogging their 'tat' over here. The hose they did recently certainly didn't get the 'rave' reviews the guest presenters were claiming and quite a lot of the reviewers said that they returned the items or binned them (like others postage was too expensive).

Do you think QVC are struggling to keep customers because I do. I received an email earlier with a link to the QVC online forum and it makes for very interesting reading. Here`s the opening post taken from the thread on their forum.

Hi everyone, as the title suggests, we really want to hear your thoughts on a couple of ideas. Are you part of a members club with the retailers you shop at already? Do you find them useful? How could QVC deliver something useful to their customers?

If something was put into place, what would you use the most?

Price discounts
Free P&P
Non cash rewards like products
Special event invites
Have we missed any?

With other loyalty clubs you can get points or credit by buying more products or subscribing to a monthly fee. Would you be interested in gaining "credit" in other ways? What do you think of the options below?

Recommend - Recommending QVC products to friends in conjunction with getting rewarded.
Testing - Testing products and sharing reviews and photos on social media
Events - Organising branded events in your home
Ambassador - Becoming a brand ambassador to share experiences of a brand or product range via social media.
Feedback - Exchanging you experiences with products with other QVC shoppers to tell them about the experience or product on forums and social media

These are just a few areas but if you've a great idea please write it down and tell us.

QVC Lounge Team

I think P&P has been the biggest 'bug-bear' since day one. When they were in their infancy, then people didn't mind collecting from their local post office and paying P&P returns because internet shopping hadn't really started and it was a 'novelty'. Now with most online shopping delivery being free and returning also free (or minimal), how Q can justify their charges I have no idea. I mean they are still on the 'archaic' 1/2 price when you purchase the exact same item (not item number), I mean if someone is wanting to purchase two sizes of a garment for fit purposes, then to also have to pay two lots of postage seems wrong. I mean everywhere else (catalogue shopping etc), you can order as many items as you want and then send back (free of charge (amazingly that does exist Q)) so you only keep what you want and not what you don't want because you can't be bothered with postage.

No I think in this day and age their prices are wrong (I think this most be to justify the 'low prices'), I can't work-out how that is fair for customers who have to pay postage to return, I suppose what they are hoping (and this I am garnering happens a lot), is that a person won't be bothered to return an item, because they can't justify the cost of the return. This means from Q's point of view it is a 'happy sell', when in reality it is isn't.

No I think with the introduction of Ruth Langsford and Amanda Holden they are trying to change tack, but from the reviews I have read (certainly for the Amanda Holden range), they are not exactly favourable. I haven't seen Amanda Cork or Kelly Hopen for a while either, may be they are a bit nervy with regards to the 30 day mbg.

I know I am ranting a bit (but postage charges (from anywhere)) is a bit of a bugbear of mine.

One final thing and then I promise I will shut up (well at least for today), how can Q justify charging £10.95 for delivery of a computer, when you can get the exact same one from the manufacturer free of charge

I don't buy from Q but I do look at the American Q reviews when they are flogging their 'tat' over here. The hose they did recently certainly didn't get the 'rave' reviews the guest presenters were claiming and quite a lot of the reviewers said that they returned the items or binned them (like others postage was too expensive).

The likes of say Julia who claims she is always honest with the viewer because if she told things that wasn't true then you wouldn't buy again.
But yet the channel continues to sell stuff that isn't fit for purpose, that customers have reported the same fault.
Like the new Richard Jackson Flower Power they continued to sell but yet the dilution was nothing like the powder version.
In fact customers were reporting they were watering their pots once and the stuff was all gone.
So I would say they are struggling with their credibility by not dealing with known flaws across the board from web site, app, ordering, account problems, post charges, delivery, packaging, the ordered item problems, returns and refunds.
From my view point the only plus that's keeping some credibility is the power they apply to big beauty brands to drive down a price on the TSV's.
Once that goes I don't think they have very much.

Last edited:
I define struggling as letting staff go, and introducing gimmicks like money off codes, something they've never done in 24 years, and to be honest, I really don't give a toss if they go out of business tomorrow or last another 24 years. Yes they do make money hand over fist because they're bringing more and more Highstreet brands in and charging more for them and people still buy instead of checking the website first, and that's before you factor in the p&p. QVC got money from me for the first twenty years, then I came to my senses, so wether they stay or go it won't effect my life in the slightest. Imagine all those expenses they need to pay for, before they even make a profit, someone has to pay for them and I can guarantee it won't be coming out of QVCs pocket. The truth of the matter is, other retailers are evolving, and QVC aren't.

Like most businesses, their public face will be like ''look we have ruth langsford'' while keeping quiet the five people they fired, to pay for it.

While it is not wrong of people to point to the decline of their facebook page as a barometer for their overall decline. Their true target customer are the people that wouldn't even think to go on their facebook group, let alone price comparison. Hense why they will make money even in the face of pissed off social media.

Their decisions are why they make millions and not billions.

I`d agree bankruptcy or closure is far from happening but I do think they`re struggling to retain customers and hence the email asking for suggestions for loyalty schemes etc. They`ll always have their die hard followers who will shop with them come what may and they`ll continue to attract new customers but I think getting people to stay with them is the main problem area.
Their overheads must be massive and nowadays money is tight for many people and lots of their customers will be internet savvy unlike the "old" days. One off sales to new customers help Q in the short term but they want those people to come back time after time and I daresay in many cases that`s not happening.
They really need a total revamp, everything from the brands they sell, the prices they charge, the staff they employ, the p and p, the website and so on and so on. A loyalty scheme will not be the quick fix they may be hoping for and asking certain customers to be brand ambassadors or involving the few not the many in some kind of event will only cause them more trouble in the long term and cause even more unhappy customers and a divisive facebook page.
Whilst they continue to be in profit they really need to go back to the drawing board, really listen to what customers want and start from the ground upwards because otherwise one day, even if it`s a long way off, they won`t be in profit and then the hatchet will fall.

It's interesting you say that they need to listen to their customers, as they put out a survey and we are all discussing their demise. Maybe in the past they have not wanted to show off perceived decline or weakness.

i am watching the nails ink tsv and there are 5 people selling nail varnish :mysmilie_19:

Like most businesses, their public face will be like ''look we have ruth langsford'' while keeping quiet the five people they fired, to pay for it.

While it is not wrong of people to point to the decline of their facebook page as a barometer for their overall decline. Their true target customer are the people that wouldn't even think to go on their facebook group, let alone price comparison. Hense why they will make money even in the face of pissed off social media.

Their decisions are why they make millions and not billions.

I'd be more inclined to take notice if they say "look, we've got Johnny Depp!" or "look, we've got Angelina Jolie!" to me Ruth Langsford is a non entity who I've never watched on Tv. QVC may get new customers every day, but if they don't repeat purchase then eventually, once the people who started out when the Internet was not the global phenomenon it is now stop shopping, then all they'll be left with are the customers that know nothing else other than internet shopping, were these new breed of savvy shoppers Google first and will judge a company on price and returns policy, and the one with best of both gets the order, but like I say, it doesn't bother me either way, it's just how I see it, I don't do Facebook either.

It seems they have been having ever more returns in the last year. I was monitoring the reviews of the ones I was interested in, and there are lots of returns on those, namely Laura Geller four last TSVs, recent Alpha H TSV, Mally TSV, Balance and Glow product of the month, Bodi Tec TSV, Ultrasun with tan activator – all poor reviews and saying ‘I’m returning it’.

By the way, beware of the recent Ultrasun purchases, people are saying they burnt, starting from the Tan Activating TSV, and also the TSV after this one, someone was using Sports SPF20 for ages so got the one TSV 4 June 2017 with the Sports SPF20 and her and her husband both burnt in the sun.

Ultrasun Tan Activate & Protect 4 Piece Collection
http://www.qvcuk.com/Ultrasun-Tan-Activate-&-Protect-4-Piece-Collection.product.232874.html?sc=SRCH

Ultrasun 3 Piece Essential Sun Protection Collection
http://www.qvcuk.com/Ultrasun-3-Pie...ection-Collection.product.229570.html?sc=SRCH

According to today's Press, there are a lot of issues now with suntan lotion. Its been found that some chemicals become toxic if you go swimming whilst lathered in the stuff ! so beware !!!! Wonder if gobbi Abbi will make any mention next time she's advocating the virtues of her stuff.

Whilst a small business might be prepared to weather the storm of poor years big companies and their shareholders will not do so - increased profits year on year otherwise they look elsewhere to invest.

Think of all the times you hear of the big names who have "only" made 150 million and COE's get shafted and they get a makeover in an effort to revive the poor performance. More more more is the name of the game, static isn't good and a reduction is toxic

What bugs me is that all the lovely brands we did have are still on Q US.

I agree LATI, one of my favourite brands was the cookware Tempt-ations, we had a good selection years ago but then it dropped to a couple of pieces and nothing for at least 5 years.

Clearly there is something amiss with the amount of Advanced Orders only on many items. Q don't want to order them in until they know the numbers, a sure sign of cost cutting.

AND hands up anyone who had heard of Ruth Langsford BEFORE she married Eammon ! I certainly hadn't. Now the pair of them make a living from appearing weekly in various womens magazines (as does Colleen Nolan, the boss eyed Holly Willoughby, and other morning telly slebs - WHY ??????)

I'm another one !! I shudder to think how much I've spent during the last 15 years especially during the Dawn Bibby crafting years; when jewellery was 'cheap' for 9ct gold and whole days were spent in a stupor during jewellery shows, and then I was almost obsessional when it came to waiting up for the TSV ! Blimey I sound as if I was brainwashed - perhaps I was !

As for struggling. I think they're pulling all the stops to stop them from going under. Staff laid off in the call centre, shows ending early so the TSV can be fitted in at every opportunity, unheard of 'offers' of a tenner if you spend £100. And how much has been invested in ****** Amanda Holden, because several times a day she's on promoting QVC (when we're already watching - not the audience you need to reach, duh!) and her Bumberry range which clearly they're having trouble shifting !

Sounds like you have 'broken free' from the cult that is QVC. I think there will be some therapy group somewhere to help you back to 'normality'!

With regards to Amanda Holden, during one of her initial promo's she stated that she was new to QVC and that she was excited that she had a 'Tarte' (rather apt or is that just me), make-up. She has had I think 2 live shows (both presented by male 'puppy dogs') and that is it and I agree with you that from the reviews the items are no better then a 'standard' High St department range, saying that though the prices are akin to this also (not that I would purchase)

The likes of say Julia who claims she is always honest with the viewer because if she told things that wasn't true then you wouldn't buy again.
But yet the channel continues to sell stuff that isn't fit for purpose, that customers have reported the same fault.
Like the new Richard Jackson Flower Power they continued to sell but yet the dilution was nothing like the powder version.
In fact customers were reporting they were watering their pots once and the stuff was all gone.
So I would say they are struggling with their credibility by not dealing with known flaws across the board from web site, app, ordering, account problems, post charges, delivery, packaging, the ordered item problems, returns and refunds.
From my view point the only plus that's keeping some credibility is the power they apply to big beauty brands to drive down a price on the TSV's.
Once that goes I don't think they have very much.

I think it is a case of trying to flog the same but cheaper (which of course us 'intelligent' people knows doesn't work. I mean they tried to do a RJ version of Wet and Forget for a TSV and that was best 'forgotten'! No I think that the 'glory days' are probably behind and they are trying to hold on to past credibility, but because they haven't moved with the times with regards to P&P (I mean even IW have, though saying that their P&P charges were always reasonably fair and they do 'capped' and combination charges and now with the Asda service they have in my opinion moved forward (not truly up to the internet, but a good half-way). No Q need to sort themselves out, I mean they offered next-day delivery for only about 6 months, they still have the promo with regards to the 'new' Hermes return service, this promo has been going for well over a year. No Q need a complete reboot and overhaul with everything. I think as others have stated that the Beauty department is probably the best and if you are into you beauty then the deals they have as TSV and TSV days are as good as you are going to get!

watching the Imedeen tsv £150.00 plus £6.95 post...tiffany is the model that according to the brand rep has plenty of collagen. well i have just made a mess of my laptop with coffee .....

I agree LATI, one of my favourite brands was the cookware Tempt-ations, we had a good selection years ago but then it dropped to a couple of pieces and nothing for at least 5 years.

Clearly there is something amiss with the amount of Advanced Orders only on many items. Q don't want to order them in until they know the numbers, a sure sign of cost cutting.

AND hands up anyone who had heard of Ruth Langsford BEFORE she married Eammon ! I certainly hadn't. Now the pair of them make a living from appearing weekly in various womens magazines (as does Colleen Nolan, the boss eyed Holly Willoughby, and other morning telly slebs - WHY ??????)

There also have a tv show, "How The Other Half Lives", in which they go round the world visiting the most lavishly appointed houses and looking at the extravagance of the seriously rich. I wonder if in recent recordings of the show, Ruth has kept her QVC Ambassador hat on and gone round spotting products bought from QVC in these homes. Tricky, though, as I don't suppose anyone in a penthouse in Monaco or one of the houses in Sandbanks has any decor items from JM by Julien Macdonald or anything from Join or Antthony in their wardrobes, because these people wouldn't be rich if they had been shopping at QVC. More likely, these are the homes of the people who have got rich by selling on QVC.

In the "olden days" of analogue TV, the only way to watch Q on TV was to invest in a freeview box, which were originally quite expensive.

As they came down in price, more and more people bought one (including me) so Q had an ever-increasing customer base as they discovered selly telly. That's when I got hooked.

Nowadays, EVERYONE with a TV can watch Q, ever since analogue TV was switched off a few years ago.

So their viewers will no longer be increasing week by week as in the past, but almost certainly decreasing as the novelty of smelly telly wears off.

This, combined with the decline of the products and presentations, probably means they are struggling. I can't see they will ever get new customers any more.

Personally, I've gone from watching loads of Q to never watching it at all live.

I check their (DREADFUL) website for new gadgets, then buy them elsewhere if at all possible.

PS spell check kept changing my word to SMELLY which seems appropriate

And how many beauty TSV's have there been in the past 2 weeks ??? If its not beauty its sodding gardening.

I got an email today about CRAFT products!!! They are coming back apparently.

I got an email today about CRAFT products!!! They are coming back apparently.

Yeah, I got that email. Anna Griffin mentioned by name. If she's coming back I hope she's not short-changed as badly. And they must give better coverage rather than rushing through projects. I'd like to see them covering more sewing, knitting, crocheting, cross-stitch, tapestry type projects, not just card making projects. My expectations are low, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back