Easy Pay Issue

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

missymissfabulous

Registered Shopper
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of being unable to fulfill their easypay arrangement, and what happened ?

This is on behalf of my ND neighbour, who bought a large item on 4 easy pays, was able to make the first 2 payments, but has been made redundnat from her job, so is unable to meet the following payments.

QVC have told her that they can't take the item back as it is os of the 30 day period (although it was bought as a gift for someone else, which further complicates it anyway !) - she can't meet the remaining payments due to the drastic drop in her income - so we have stalemate ... what will happen ?

She is worried that they will take her to court and she will get a CCJ .... I suspect that the account will be passed to a debt collection agency, but as no credit checks are made (so responsible lending hasn't been demonstrated) nor a singed agreement in place, I suspect they will just accept what they can get if she proposes a repayment schedule, and won't pursue the court route .. but I am only guessing !

Anyone have any actual experience of this, and how they usually deal with such a situation ?

She is embarrassed and worried about how things will turn out ..... she has told me that she has shopped with QVC for 12 yrs or more, yet this does not seem to carry any weight or sympathy !

Glad for any guidance we can give her ....

Thanks for your help guys
Missy

It isn't a priority debt, but I would still suggest she contact her local CAB, as she may end up with money issues anyway and it would be worth pursuing that avenue to work out what to do now her income has changed drastically, there may be other debts she needs to deal with....

QVC's easy pay offer isn't covered by the consumer credit act. The act only applies where payment is going to made in 5 or more installments. That's why they never offer more than 4 payments, its avoids the need for lots of messy legal stuff, signing agreements etc.

So I think you're right and that theyll l accept a repayment offer in the absence of being able to do much else. CCJs are pointless in cases like this, they don't get the lender their money back unless they can get an order to access her bank account (notoriously trivky) or to garnish her wages, and if she's lost her job then that's a non starter.

If I were her I'd offer a nominal sum per month on the basis that she'll pay in full when she gets a job. If they have any sense they'll accept.

If I were her I would put her case to QVC, and offer an amount she can afford in a letter - I bet she isn't the only one this has happened to, and they must know that during the recession people will get into difficulties.

What is to stop QVC just taking it from her credit card?

I believe that even cancelling the credit card with the provider doesn't stop them taking money from it, which then becomes a normal debt against you.

Credit card debts are LOW PRIORITY and should not be paid unless money is left over after paying priority debts (particularly mortgage or rent and council tax).

CAB will advise you how to draw up a financial statement (just a list of all income and epxpenditure) which is necessary before any negotiations with creditors (people you owe money to eg QVC).

Note that ALL low-priority creditors have to be dealt with equally, you can't favour paying QVC more than any other creditor eg shopping catalogues.

Last edited:
Agree with Strato, if she cannot afford for QVC to just take the money when its due she may have to request a new card from the bank, this would be the only thing to prevent this from happening - although it would be a hassle I know. Unless she can come to an agreement with QVC before the next installment is due. Which I think she should try to do, and she should contact them as soon as possible

This must happen to QVC customers a lot these days considering how much they now have on EP.
They encourage people to buy now pay later.
Shame it didn't happen within the return period.

I had something similar happen to me when i'd bought a laptop on qvc. There was no problem at all with them, i called and offered to send laptop back and they refused that option saying that a payment of £10 per month until I was back in employment would be suffice. I paid £10 for 2 months, then started working and called to pay the rest when I was paid again.

they honestly are lovely and she should just bite the bullet and ring them

Hi guys,

Just returned back from showing her your emails .... she is gobsmacked that everyone is so helpful (I felt rather proud of our little board for that !).

Anyways, she has told me that the payments are from her debit card, and that she also has a credit card debt (not huge, but big enough!), after her mortgage.

She has also had a look on a consumer credit helpsite - and has already printed off and filled out a budget planner from the National Debt helpline (or someone like that).

She said that she will copy it and send it together with a covering letter to her credit card provider and QVC - she worked in banking (only customer services nothing high ranking !!), so is hopeful she will be back in work soon ... !!!

I;ve asked if she will let me know what happens, so that I can update on here, which may benefit all, and she is quite happy to share and has asked me to extend her grateful thanks to all who were kind enough to answer and comment ..

Thanks come from me also of course ...

Missy x

Whatever happens, DON'T PAY for debt advice, it is a rip-off.

There are plenty of free advice eg CAB, but some paid-for advice agencies make it looks like it will be free (but it isn't), and some use very similar names to the free ones to fool you.

just wishing your friend best of luck and hope she soon finds a new job. I was made redundant a few years back and also had health problems but things do move on and change for the better. Good she has a mate like you to support her.

Well we're good neighbours and she's a smashing girl - she is also a very open person which is how she come to tell me of her QVC probs (when she was delivering a QVC parcel to me that she had taken it - which we had a laugh about tonight !!)

Its give me alittle fright myself, and I don't think I wil buy anything else on easy pay, just in case (don't think I;d be able to survive without my QVC hit at least once a month !!)

The debt site she found is free apparently, but I will give her the warning !!

Missy x

I refused to complete payment on a computer which was a piece of tat, the argument went on for months. They did actually threaten me with debt collection if I didn't pay within 7 days at one point so I assume they would have obtained a CCJ first. Luckily I went to the CEO explaining the problems with the carp computer (Iqon-the company went out of business so I couldn't get a repair even if I wanted one) I got a full apology and refund of money already paid.

They will pursue the debt is what I am saying though. At the end of the day- roof over your head, council tax and then utilities have to be priority though. She may get some advice from the moneysavingexpert.com debt board-they know all the ins and outs over there and are really supportive.

Latest posts

Back