Face Creams - Big Brands or High Street?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Okay heads up about Joanne Lumley and Astral.

She uses it as a cold cream to remove makeup, not as a moisturiser. Someone on Facebook has put up the actual quote

Same thing with Kylie a few years back and newspapers reporting she only used Pond's. Yes, Pond's Cold Cream to remove stage makeup not as a moisturiser.

nivea's active ingredient is glycolic a very small amount. its not advertised as such but thats more than likely why for nearly a century its one of the best mass produced fae cream in the world. and its cheap as chips.

i remember when qvc started selling elemis and the hundreds of complaints about skin irritation gave it very low scores. the pro collagen marine cream was the culprit. qvc have changed the item no over the years..elemis imo is the most irritating skincare followed by calrins and decleor all using ingredients that most companies avoid. spa brands go for sensorial experience rather than healthy skin imo

I had a period of time when my skin went very sensitive and looking back it was probably hormone related. To get it to calm I ended up having to use water and Vichy calming cream.
I now try and stick to what works for me and don't chop and change like I used to.

I could not use anything with glycolic!

When I change products and my face breaks out PCMC is the one product which will settle it down again. Hence I always end up going back to it.

I don't care how wonderful Nivea is supposed to be, I cannot bear the scent of it. So sickly and cloying, the thought of using it on my face makes me cringe.

A couple of times a week I use Clinique mild clarifying toner, it's not one of the 'paint stripper' ones :1 2 & 3 which are full of alcohol. It calms my skin if a bit irritated, surprising I know, and acts as a very gentle exfoliant. I'm not really a fan of Clinique products, but most brands have their stand out product, and for me, this is theirs.

I don't care how wonderful Nivea is supposed to be, I cannot bear the scent of it. So sickly and cloying, the thought of using it on my face makes me cringe.

A couple of times a week I use Clinique mild clarifying toner, it's not one of the 'paint stripper' ones :1 2 & 3 which are full of alcohol. It calms my skin if a bit irritated, surprising I know, and acts as a very gentle exfoliant. I'm not really a fan of Clinique products, but most brands have their stand out product, and for me, this is theirs.

clinique make some stuff for marks and spencer one of the staff told me...

clinique make some stuff for marks and spencer one of the staff told me...

Sorry but they were lying to you. Clinique are an Estee Lauder company started in 1971 by one of the Lauder sons as a stand alone brand. They do not make anything for any others only their own brands. All M&S products carry the bunny logo and are made in the UK

I really like the simply pure hydrating serum from superdrug (£2.59- lauded by Sali Hughes ) and I am currently loving eucerin moisturiser- not exactly cheap but last ages and not on QVC ��

Thanks SuziQ.
I've just ordered a couple of bottles of the Superdrug Serum. (It was on offer, buy one get one half price). The reviews are excellent on their website.

Okay heads up about Joanne Lumley and Astral.

She uses it as a cold cream to remove makeup, not as a moisturiser. Someone on Facebook has put up the actual quote

Facebook lady needs to look again, because the actual quote is that she ALSO uses it to remove make-up, not that she only uses it for that:

Joanna Lumley says: “I’m thrilled to try all sorts of face firmers and wrinkle-reduction creams, but the one I always come back to is plain, simple Astral cream. I’ve used it for over 35 years and it just works for me. I also use lashings of Astral moisturiser to take off make-up. I travel everywhere with a little pot of Astral in my bag.”

Same thing with Kylie a few years back and newspapers reporting she only used Pond's. Yes, Pond's Cold Cream to remove stage makeup not as a moisturiser.

Kylie Minogue: "Yes, I've used botox but not any more. I'm embracing my age and now my only secret is Ponds cream. It's really changed my skin, I use it every day. It's really all I use to look after my skin."

Just been totting up all the pennies, nay pounds, nay hundreds of pounds or even thousands of pounds I have spent over the many years with Q on Beauty products.

I must say that in the early days of AY, when it was more about educating you rather than the hard sell, you had Decleor (first purchase) and Gatineau as the main contenders. It was so easy back then, cleanse, tone, moisturise and now it is far more complicated with a cream for this or serum for that, a real minefield and you could spend a fortune try each and every one.

Well I've had a revelation of sorts whilst out shopping in the Supermarket and caught a glimpse of 'ASTRAL' cream and as I remember rightly a real favourite of Joanna Lumley. Should I give it a go for all of 90p for a 50ml pot?

Now I now lots of ladies will say it's got this in it or that, things that are probably scorned upon by beauty experts, but anyhow I decided to try it. Firstly Micellar Water to remove grime followed by a dollop of Astral...I have really sensitive skin and have been using Decleor's Neroli, but have still been getting breakouts, real red blotchy spots on my cheeks. Now I've got Decleor, Gatineau, Liz Earle to name but a few in my cupboard, all of which have not helped.

I woke up the next morning and my skin felt smooth, plumped, hydrated, then plucked up the courage to look in the mirror (glasses on first, blind as a bat) and the red blotches have all but disappeared...I was absolutely gobsmacked to say the least, I believe I have found my moisturiser at last, all 90p's worth...even cheaper than returning a product to Q :mysmilie_17:

Used to use it as a cleanser but must say it is too heavy for me to use as a moisturiser. It has a lovely smell.

Boffy, I can't use lots of the elemis including PCMC. The only elemis I can use is sensitive face wash and the milk bath/shower milk.

Sorry but they were lying to you. Clinique are an Estee Lauder company started in 1971 by one of the Lauder sons as a stand alone brand. They do not make anything for any others only their own brands. All M&S products carry the bunny logo and are made in the UK

ohhh!!! its hard to know who is making for whom though.i suspect its all smoke and mirrors.

Used to use Nivea all the time, yes it's thick and creamy but suited my skin! Not done me to much harm or my family who also used it. Do use other products now and think it's best to try different brands. :mysmilie_8:

Now a few years back on a few US beauty forums, it was said by many that Nivea(had to be the one made in Germany not Mexico), was similar to Creme De La Mer??? This is the original Cdlm not the version out now by Estee Lauder who bought the brand some years back. I have no idea has never used either.

Having tried Elemis, Liz Earle, Gatineau, Dr Perricone, Prai and a few other of QVC's offerings I am now using Aldi's Caviar range. £6.99 a pot and it works for me, my skin has never looked better. I also discovered last week that the Caviar night cream works brilliantly as an aftersun when I was caught out and only had my day and night creams to hand.

nivea's active ingredient is glycolic a very small amount. its not advertised as such but thats more than likely why for nearly a century its one of the best mass produced fae cream in the world. and its cheap as chips.
Which one do you mean, the cream in the blue tin? As far as I know, there is no glycolic in it, here is the inci list if you scroll down a little: https://www.nivea.de/shop/nivea-creme-422772480001.html

In Italy I had a leather bag made and when I asked how to care for it regarding scratches etc they brought out a tub of the blue Nivia and proceeded to show me how to use.

This was a high end shop selling handmade items not a backstreet chancer.

If only it did the same to my face!

No , really, no glycolic. Here in Germany the cream in the blue tin is a multipurpose cream that can be used for everything, it is also used on babies and children because of its simple ingredients.:)

Latest posts

Back