I've been doing an Agatha Christie

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

she went on to tell me that she was speaking to someone who was pretending to be him a while ago, and he asked for money but the real one stepped in and told me he was a scammer and that I should block him as lots of people are out there pretending to be him!

Spot on M. Like you, I strongly suspect a gang are romance scamming this lady. I can almost smell the scam from here. Often these catfish scammers are in Nigeria. Many work together in actual call booths for a boss. They occasionally get raided but not often at all. Others work alone. Either way, they can scam enormous amounts of money from their victims.

It's so sad & frustrating that people fall for this stuff, despite all the tragic tales out there about the victims. It has happened to good looking young adults too. Some are grieving and have recently come into money &/or assets from a will.

These days any of us who use any social media platform can get tapped by scammers. Obvs dating, religious community & bereavement online groups are notorious for it.

If you can't get through to her & let's face it, who could when she's likely dizzy with euphoria whilst being love bombed & showered with attention, ask her to look up "catfish" and "catfished" on YouTube.

If she does that & watches even a tiny bit, at least that may make her think twice. Sadly many victims don't realise they are until it's too late. The whole catfish scamming thing reminds me very much of cults.

Good luck trying M, there's only so much you can do. You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink, springs to mind.

Last edited:
It's quite possible that the $hit's hit the fan. I was concerned to discover that she'd removed herself from social media, and I was going to ask her why she did this when I saw her at work, I then noticed that her name had been removed from the rota for the next couple of weeks. I had a word with my line manager today, who knows she's involved in all this as a couple of her colleagues have told him their concerns. I asked him whether she was alright as I noticed she's off the rota, and he sighed and gave me a knowing look. He obviously isn't able to tell me or any of her colleagues what's going on but it's all pointing to this. Has she lost all her money? Is she just devastated, depressed and embarrassed? I guess all will be revealed fairly soon. I have to say I am finding it quite difficult to feel any sympathy as I cannot believe that anyone could possibly believe that a 27 year old guy with a successful music career would be looking for a romantic relationship with a 64 year old grandmother however good they look for age, and yes, she does look good for her age and looks after herself (physically) It's a shame she has no common sense. Flattery is one thing - reality is quite another. I reckon if I sat her down in front of "Catfish" she'd say "that's terrible but that's not what's happening to me"! I'd be flogging a dead horse, but it does seem that it's probably too late now anyway. I can only hope that she's managed to get to her bank in time and if she's lost money it's minimal.

Well I am confused, and then some! She has not been signed off work, it turns out that her absence on the days that I normally work with her were shift swaps. I saw her at work yesterday and she told me she'd had an argument with another colleague who sneeringly told her that she's being scammed and if she's too blind to see it then more fool her and also went on to say laughingly and loudly so everybody could hear "what what the hell do you think a handsome young man would want from a woman who's old enough to be his grandmother unless it's money?" Needless to say she was extremely upset by this and complained to a manager, so this would explain my line manager's reaction to my question to him "is she alright" I asked her why she was no longer on Facebook and she told me she was sick of everybody knowing her business and having an opinion so she's better off without it.
She went on to tell me that she's now received the "fan card". Now wtf is going on? Unless she's not telling the truth, she's received a backstage pass and a fan card that she's not had to pay for. She's due to see him in concert at the end of this month so when she finds out that these passes are bogus then surely that's as far as the scam can go, I can't see where it can possibly go from there. There are so many red flags in this situation, met online, converse via telegram (similar to What's app) no video calls, fan cards, love bombing, yet she's (allegedly) not parted with a single penny and the scam is due to end at the end of the month when she obviously won't be getting the romantic meeting she expects. Any ideas? I know scammers are one step ahead, but I cannot get my head around this one at all!

Well I am confused, and then some! She has not been signed off work, it turns out that her absence on the days that I normally work with her were shift swaps. I saw her at work yesterday and she told me she'd had an argument with another colleague who sneeringly told her that she's being scammed and if she's too blind to see it then more fool her and also went on to say laughingly and loudly so everybody could hear "what what the hell do you think a handsome young man would want from a woman who's old enough to be his grandmother unless it's money?" Needless to say she was extremely upset by this and complained to a manager, so this would explain my line manager's reaction to my question to him "is she alright" I asked her why she was no longer on Facebook and she told me she was sick of everybody knowing her business and having an opinion so she's better off without it.
She went on to tell me that she's now received the "fan card". Now wtf is going on? Unless she's not telling the truth, she's received a backstage pass and a fan card that she's not had to pay for. She's due to see him in concert at the end of this month so when she finds out that these passes are bogus then surely that's as far as the scam can go, I can't see where it can possibly go from there. There are so many red flags in this situation, met online, converse via telegram (similar to What's app) no video calls, fan cards, love bombing, yet she's (allegedly) not parted with a single penny and the scam is due to end at the end of the month when she obviously won't be getting the romantic meeting she expects. Any ideas? I know scammers are one step ahead, but I cannot get my head around this one at all!
I would imagine she’s going to get a request for money very soon…before the concert.
Never heard of a fan card but getting a backstage pass a month before a concert is definitely dodgy… they are usually issued on the night and picked up at the ticket office at the venue….VIP guests will have been sent private invitations.

I would imagine she’s going to get a request for money very soon…before the concert.
Never heard of a fan card but getting a backstage pass a month before a concert is definitely dodgy… they are usually issued on the night and picked up at the ticket office at the venue….VIP guests will have been sent private invitations.
Something MUST happen before the concert, she's completely ready for it, she's got the ticket, she's got the passes and at this stage she'll be completely susceptible to sending an ickle bit of money to make sure it goes ahead. I can't see what they'll ask for as she now has everything she seemingly needs. The only think I don't know anything about is the ticket to the gig itself, I'm only presuming she's got it. she hasn't mentioned it and I didn't ask for some reason. So did she just buy it herself from the from the box office? Again it could be something they've said they'll send her, has she bought it through a bogus ticket site? If that is the case then why hasn't any (more) unauthorised money been taken from her bank account? I mean the most expensive seat for the gig is only about £100 which is small fry to scammers. I can't see the point in their waiting until the date of the gig when it's going be made clear on the night that she's been scammed because she'll be onto her bank as fast as you can blink.

Now I'm confused too. I've just done a quick search using "Romance scammers pretending to be pop stars" & unsurprisingly this happens, along with them pretending to be celebs generally.

One woman got scammed for $67,000 seemingly shortly before they were due to meet the fake "pop star."

It went roughly like this. Scammer pretending to be a well known pop star offered to meet the woman he was scamming privately. His "manager" then contacted the victim telling her that in order to meet this "pop star" privately, she'd have to pay towards the expenses. In this case it was private jet, security guards etc.

The victim was so flattered & caught up in the excitement of meeting this pop star that she used her savings/pension and took out loan/s to pay for it.

Initially she was asked to pay $18,500 which she paid. The remainder & bulk of the money was then requested. She took money out of her retirement fund to pay.

The victim claims that prior to the money requests, she was lured into believing that she was talking to the real pop star and that they were romantically involved with each other via online communication. From what I read the scammer seemed full on from the start.

I'm staggered at how anyone could fall for this. Especially when lump sums of money are requested for the victim to meet with the bloke who has spent X amount of time prior telling her how he is so deeply in love with her lol.

In this case I don't think there was any gradual build up with relatively small sums of money requests beforehand. I think the scammers got this woman so flattered & excited, they went in for the large amount very quickly.

Personally I can't see a famous 27 year old pop star falling for a 63/64 year old woman, no matter how good looking she is. & then to chat her up in a private chat app.Then send her a fan card weeks before his gig. I'm thinking what's she going to do? Jostle backstage with the teens & 20 something wannabe groupies? Because if he's that age, that famous & reasonable looking, he'll have groupies & autograph hunters I'd have thought.

I know people do fall in love with big age gaps between them but usually they have met in person initially. Or do meet up for a private actual proper date asap once they've spoken online. Not via a backstage pass for a first date.

Now I'm confused too. I've just done a quick search using "Romance scammers pretending to be pop stars" & unsurprisingly this happens, along with them pretending to be celebs generally.

One woman got scammed for $67,000 seemingly shortly before they were due to meet the fake "pop star."

It went roughly like this. Scammer pretending to be a well known pop star offered to meet the woman he was scamming privately. His "manager" then contacted the victim telling her that in order to meet this "pop star" privately, she'd have to pay towards the expenses. In this case it was private jet, security guards etc.

The victim was so flattered & caught up in the excitement of meeting this pop star that she used her savings/pension and took out loan/s to pay for it.

Initially she was asked to pay $18,500 which she paid. The remainder & bulk of the money was then requested. She took money out of her retirement fund to pay.

The victim claims that prior to the money requests, she was lured into believing that she was talking to the real pop star and that they were romantically involved with each other via online communication. From what I read the scammer seemed full on from the start.

I'm staggered at how anyone could fall for this. Especially when lump sums of money are requested for the victim to meet with the bloke who has spent X amount of time prior telling her how he is so deeply in love with her lol.

In this case I don't think there was any gradual build up with relatively small sums of money requests beforehand. I think the scammers got this woman so flattered & excited, they went in for the large amount very quickly.

Personally I can't see a famous 27 year old pop star falling for a 63/64 year old woman, no matter how good looking she is. & then to chat her up in a private chat app.Then send her a fan card weeks before his gig. I'm thinking what's she going to do? Jostle backstage with the teens & 20 something wannabe groupies? Because if he's that age, that famous & reasonable looking, he'll have groupies & autograph hunters I'd have thought.

I know people do fall in love with big age gaps between them but usually they have met in person initially. Or do meet up for a private actual proper date asap once they've spoken online. Not via a backstage pass for a first date.
Me neither and not only that "her fella" is the support act and from the gigs I've been to in the past which involve a support act nine times out of ten they'll be standing in the foyer during the interval eager to chat to members of the audience and to try and flog a few cds while they're at it. I doubt whether they'll be having "fans" queuing up with backstage passes. For anyone who's interested the artist is called Harrison Storm and he's an Indie/Folk music act who's just released his first album. He seems to be doing pretty well for himself, having toured in the US/Canada, the UK and other parts of Europe. I don't know how she came to discover his music whether it was the scammer she came across first and then the music, or did she find the scammer because of the music....what I do know is that is a right royal mess in the making. The guy is not well known enough to come up with Google searches for scams, believe me I've looked and I can find little or nothing. She even told me that he'd told her that his parents would like to meet her...I mean come on? Hey mum, I've met a lady online, she works in a supermarket in the uk, she's 64 and I love her - great son, we can't wait to meet her!!!!

Just done a quick search

Harrison Storm, indie singer & songwriter:

Has 120,000 Instagram followers.

His songs on YouTube currently have roughly from 80,000 to around 200,000 views for each video separately uploaded that I saw.

He was 24 in Feb 2015, so if that's correct, he's 33 years old now.

I agree M, not a massive star but big enough to be successful.

Seems quite a good looking man, trim & I'd say does workouts. Also has perfect teeth, I noticed. So takes good care of himself I'd say.

No idea if a short bio I read is up to date, it says he lives in Victoria, Australia.

His UK concert is in Bristol 27th May, so in a few days literally.

Nope, I can't see him shacking up with a woman nearly double his age. And from halfway round the World to where he lives.

That he got to know on Telegram and/or similar. That sounds very ffy to me alone.

Who he wants to meet on a first date in person backstage straight after his UK gig.

I know fact can be stranger than fiction but really ?? LOL.

Just done a quick search

Harrison Storm, indie singer & songwriter:

Has 120,000 Instagram followers.

His songs on YouTube currently have roughly from 80,000 to around 200,000 views for each video separately uploaded that I saw.

He was 24 in Feb 2015, so if that's correct, he's 33 years old now.

I agree M, not a massive star but big enough to be successful.

Seems quite a good looking man, trim & I'd say does workouts. Also has perfect teeth, I noticed. So takes good care of himself I'd say.

No idea if a short bio I read is up to date, it says he lives in Victoria, Australia.

His UK concert is in Bristol 27th May, so in a few days literally.

Nope, I can't see him shacking up with a woman nearly double his age. And from halfway round the World to where he lives.

That he got to know on Telegram and/or similar. That sounds very ffy to me alone.

Who he wants to meet on a first date in person backstage straight after his UK gig.

I know fact can be stranger than fiction but really ?? LOL.
He was actually born in 1997 and has just celebrated his 27th birthday not that it makes any difference as the age gap is massive whatever. The concert my colleague is attending is at the Royal Albert Hall no less on the 28th May where he's supporting an act called Angus and Julia Stone (no me neither). As for your last comment OMG, if it turned out to be true eh? Being a young guy/older woman combo if he was to settle with her, it would mean he would have to forsake the idea of starting a family - Oh come on this ain't happening lol!!!

Oh yes, he is at The Royal Albert Hall on the 28th.

I just got his age from this but it could well be wrong. Says he was 24 in Feb 2015 when this was written.

Just wondering, did she tell you his age as being 27 or is it publicly available like on FB etc?

It's got all the hallmarks of a scam to me. It's so ridiculous. Just a shame no one seemingly can get through to this lady. Even to help get her on her guard and keep her there.

We've only got her word that she hasn't parted with any money already. I really hope this is true & that she doesn't get scammed for a large amount.

Oh yes, he is at The Royal Albert Hall on the 28th.

I just got his age from this but it could well be wrong. Says he was 24 in Feb 2015 when this was written.

Just wondering, did she tell you his age as being 27 or is it publicly available like on FB etc?

It's got all the hallmarks of a scam to me. It's so ridiculous. Just a shame no one seemingly can get through to this lady. Even to help get her on her guard and keep her there.

We've only got her word that she hasn't parted with any money already. I really hope this is true & that she doesn't get scammed for a large amount.
She told me he was 27 and I also read it on a couple of the blogs...born 30th March 1997. Exactly on that point and yes I have wondered whether she's parted with money. If you google "fan cards" there are tons of sites saying that they are all scams and that they are not given away free. She says that she has also been in conversation with his manager and he's the one who's "given" her these passes. I mean can you imagine the conversation with the person you think is in love with you "darling, I love you, I can't wait to meet you, come to my concert I'll give you a backstage pass just send me X £££'s and I'll fall into your arms" I do rather suspect that she's already parted with money but there's no way she's gonna admit that to anyone!

Latest posts

Back