General Banter and Random Musings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

@Hammy60 @Professor Branestawm @Herring @Duke of Cheese
Kev is on with Vostok at 8pm tonight and I have asked him to answer your questions. What I have asked him specifically to answer is about the life span of the watches, the origin of the watches and the parts - do they come from China etc, more about the materials of the watches, the movement and calibre etc and also please what’s app any questions into him as well during the show. I’ll do the same and ask the same of the other watch guests as well. I don’t know anything about watches so it’s not my subject and I wear a Fitbit so I need to up my game and get a decent watch 😂.
I can’t do much more than that and I hope it can give you more information and answer your questions. You might not agree with the answers but at least the questions and queries are being heard. I have asked Kev to mention you (handles) on air so you know it’s your questions he is answering. Hope that helps.

Kevin is being very generous tonight by selling watches below cost prices to "build momentum for Seen on TV."

"Simon isn't making money, I'm not making money."

"You guys at home know me from the past 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 years, you know these prices are wrong, good for you, wrong for us".

Not quite true - a watch Kevin was selling at £179.99 on his eBay store up until 11:50am this morning is now being flogged at £249.99 but apparently it should "normally be around £499."

Source: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385639941138 - "This listing was ended by the seller on Mon, 17 Jun at 11:50 AM because the item is no longer available."

And just to prove it has been on sale for £179.99 for MONTHS - you can see here that they sold 2 at this price back in February.

I look forward to Alex defending this.

@Hammy60 @Professor Branestawm @Herring @Duke of Cheese
Kev is on with Vostok at 8pm tonight and I have asked him to answer your questions. What I have asked him specifically to answer is about the life span of the watches, the origin of the watches and the parts - do they come from China etc, more about the materials of the watches, the movement and calibre etc and also please what’s app any questions into him as well during the show. I’ll do the same and ask the same of the other watch guests as well. I don’t know anything about watches so it’s not my subject and I wear a Fitbit so I need to up my game and get a decent watch 😂.
I can’t do much more than that and I hope it can give you more information and answer your questions. You might not agree with the answers but at least the questions and queries are being heard. I have asked Kev to mention you (handles) on air so you know it’s your questions he is answering. Hope that helps.

I notice Millie (i think) asking some good question, program has been on about 40 minutes and she's doing a better job at presenting a watch show than i've seen on the various channels in the last 7 years.
Kevin Reynolds usually gives most of those details, i did say he's one of the best for proving details, most of the brands he deals with are pretty good at providing those. Vostok Europe unlike a lot of brands you see on shopping channels is an actual watchmaking brand.
My post the other day was more aimed at other brands, especially the China question, you see on shopping telly rather than the brands that Kevin represents, ie Vostok Europe, Traser, Mathey-Tissot, Aviator, Sturmanskie are all well known to watch collectors, okay they may not be everybody's cup of tea, but they are known.

PS

Ask Kev to stop calling Seiko, Seiko Industries, that's not their name, he may be getting muddled with Seiko Instruments Inc , who make some of Seiko's movements as do Seiko Epson, Seiko Industries (no relation to Seiko, Japan) is an Indian sewing machine manufacturer.

Edit

I see @Insider has mentioned prices, this is one of Kev's faults which he's been guilty of before, claiming great prices when watches could be had cheaper elsewhere, like the Reynolds family business at just4watches.co.uk.

I like the lady presenter. She asks good questions. I don’t remember asking a watch question to be answered, to be honest - other than making a recent point about selling old company names resurfaced brands watches in a more transparent way in terms of not making direct heritage connections when there are none.

The current watch on-air (Vostok Energia) is priced at £989.99. On Reynolds’s website all the Energias he has on it are significantly cheaper.

Kevin is being very generous tonight by selling watches below cost prices to "build momentum for Seen on TV."

"Simon isn't making money, I'm not making money."

"You guys at home know me from the past 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 years, you know these prices are wrong, good for you, wrong for us".

Not quite true - a watch Kevin was selling at £179.99 on his eBay store up until 11:50am this morning is now being flogged at £249.99 but apparently it should "normally be around £499."

Source: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385639941138 - "This listing was ended by the seller on Mon, 17 Jun at 11:50 AM because the item is no longer available."

And just to prove it has been on sale for £179.99 for MONTHS - you can see here that they sold 2 at this price back in February.

I look forward to Alex defending this.
I mentioned it to Kevin in the break and he said he will give me an answer when he comes off air.
I’m not defending anything, I think it’s right if we are questioned on anything. Duke called me out on launch day on comparing the price of a mattress that didn’t exist. He was right and I adjusted my editorial because what I said probably was a bit misleading. Not deliberately I just wasn’t as clear as I should have been. We aren’t perfect - on air live everyday people slip up or get a fact wrong All I have tried to do by coming on this thread is engage, answers questions and not just ignore peoples comments.
I’ll let you know, then I’m going to help clean up 4 airfryers and go to bed 😊👍

Thanks, Insider. I wonder if they’ll read it out on air if I query price on this…I’d want more than a free torch with that massive differential. I’d want a buy one get one free.

I do think we have a significant issue here if the guy selling his watch stock on this show, and very much based presentation wise on great price and value, has one particular watch on sale for nearly £1000 on this channel, but the same watch for under £600 on his company’s eBay shop. That doesn’t sit particularly well with me. Maybe a direct price comparison for that Vostok Energia would have been useful to employ: Kev Seen on TV - Just under a grand…Kev eBay - £599…I would be mightily pi….off if I had paid the former price and found that out afterwards.

Last edited:
have spoken to Kevin, he has told me to let you know that he removed the prices off his website / eBay this morning because he is now selling this line of watches on Seen on TV and he wants the Seen on TV price to be the best value for money. The watches when they go back on his website / eBay site will be re-listed for more than the Seen on TV price will be. And with that…I’m off to bed 😁
Brand new shapewear in the morning. I hope you like it, you’ll let me know if you don’t! 😂👍 cheers everyone.

Being sold for £989.99 on Seen on TV but only £599.99 on his eBay store.

Thats a different version of the Energia watch.

The one of ebay has normal dial and a bog standard NH35 movement, the one in the show has YN84 movement (which is actually an Orient movement with a Seiko Epson rotor added) and an open heart dial, the watch on the show also has a hand made Italian leather strap, the ebay one doesn't although i don't think that will add much too the price.

Is that worth the difference, maybe, the YN84 will definately be more expensive movement, more complications plus needs extra finishing due to the open heart. The Italian strap will also add a few euros extra, but not that much, would be mainly down to different movement/dial complications.

Checking the German distributors site, they have roughly a 200 euro difference between the two watches. The German site is selling tonights watch at 920 euros.

have spoken to Kevin, he has told me to let you know that he removed the prices off his website / eBay this morning because he is now selling this line of watches on Seen on TV and he wants the Seen on TV price to be the best value for money. The watches when they go back on his website / eBay site will be re-listed for more than the Seen on TV price will be. And with that…I’m off to bed 😁
Brand new shapewear in the morning. I hope you like it, you’ll let me know if you don’t! 😂👍 cheers everyone.
What an insult to your viewers if you have seriously accepted that explanation from Kevin.

"Best value for money" would have been the £169.99 price tag it had been for months before it's Seen on TV debut tonight.

According to Kevin, he and Simon were making a loss by selling it for £249.99.

So much for Seen on TV being different and on the side of the consumer.

My post the other day was more aimed at other brands, especially the China question, you see on shopping telly rather than the brands that Kevin represents, ie Vostok Europe, Traser, Mathey-Tissot, Aviator, Sturmanskie are all well known to watch collectors, okay they may not be everybody's cup of tea, but they are known.

As was mine. I think most of us (I know I have) have said Vostok Europe isn't one of the questionable brands, it's more the Dartmouth /Fields Family type "luxury timepieces" with bought-up brand names and phoney back stories, i.e., the sort of watches Nepo-hire and Jonathan Borethere were flogging a few days back with gasps and claims of "should be five-figures".

Arguably, Kevski isn't a character many of us take aim at with regards to misdirection and omissions on provenance (his economical framing of price perhaps, but that is 9/10ths of selly telly after all).

Even so, props to you, Alex for at least engaging with our concerns on this topic.

Last edited:
Thats a different version of the Energia watch.

The one of ebay has normal dial and a bog standard NH35 movement, the one in the show has YN84 movement (which is actually an Orient movement with a Seiko Epson rotor added) and an open heart dial, the watch on the show also has a hand made Italian leather strap, the ebay one doesn't although i don't think that will add much too the price.

Is that worth the difference, maybe, the YN84 will definately be more expensive movement, more complications plus needs extra finishing due to the open heart. The Italian strap will also add a few euros extra, but not that much, would be mainly down to different movement/dial complications.

Checking the German distributors site, they have roughly a 200 euro difference between the two watches. The German site is selling tonights watch at 920 euros.
I looked through the range of Energia models on his website. There are around 40 varients. Hardly felt very limited or exclusive looking at them all. Not saying the Vostok generic Energia is not a nice watch. But seeing so many types within a type lessened the feeling of one offness you want with a watch requiring a fair chunk of change.

Also, as has been mentioned, the Chinese made question applied to the Swan & Edgar type watches etc. these channels sell that are essentially badged made in Cnina watches with a questionable heritage and connection tag attached with them to the dead brand name now on the face. Perhaps asking why they do this was more a question for the likes of Bordell to face…there…

I looked through the range of Energia models on his website. There are around 40 varients. Hardly felt very limited or exclusive looking at them all. Not saying the Vostok generic Energia is not a nice watch. But seeing so many types within a type lessened the feeling of one offness you want with a watch requiring a fair chunk of change.

Also, as has been mentioned, the Chinese made question applied to the Swan & Edgar type watches etc. these channels sell that are essentially badged made in Cnina watches with a questionable heritage and connection tag attached with them to the dead brand name now on the face. Perhaps asking why they do this was more a question for the likes of Bordell to face…there…
Morning Duke - I will ask the question when they (watches) are next on and let you know. I think it will be Thursday / Friday. But don’t hold me to that. :)
Have a good day.

Latest posts

Back