General Banter and Random Musings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well, well, well…two Insiders and a Hopping seem VERY keen to pour scorn on this new venture. I’m not an avid shopping telly viewer but ‘pop in’ now and then out of curiosity. I haven’t seen much of this new channel but wish them well regardless.

What baffles me is how the aforementioned trio seem at pains to defend I.W….and what a shoddy, duplicitous bunch of tat-schleppers we know THEY are. The products are market stall tacky, the presenters are cringe-inducing liars and the ludicrously inflated RRPs are criminal.

Defending I.W is as pitiful as expecting people to believe Muriel is real.
I said I wasn't going to post more than once. This is the exception and to back up the reason of not getting into debates.

I have decided to post off my own back. Should I have said nothing? Maybe. Should I have said less than I did? Possibly. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything at all.

BUT I never defended IW. Please correct me if I did defend them in my comment. IW now is not IW and it is only the brand which transferred. Did I like IW1? Yes, up until 2014 or so when the bid tv lot came. Do I like it now? Do I think their morals are in the right place? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

And this is the reason I will not reply to any comments as it's things like this - putting words in my mouth - that annoys me and why I don't want to comment.

Edit: I mentioned IW making £20-30k as Simon worked on IW for years. I'd have referred to QVC if I knew him more from there.

I said I wasn't going to post more than once. This is the exception and to back up the reason of not getting into debates.

I have decided to post off my own back. Should I have said nothing? Maybe. Should I have said less than I did? Possibly. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything at all.

BUT I never defended IW. Please correct me if I did defend them in my comment. IW now is not IW and it is only the brand which transferred. Did I like IW1? Yes, up until 2014 or so when the bid tv lot came. Do I like it now? Do I think their morals are in the right place? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

And this is the reason I will not reply to any comments as it's things like this - putting words in my mouth - that annoys me and why I don't want to comment.

Edit: I mentioned IW making £20-30k as Simon worked on IW for years. I'd have referred to QVC if I knew him more from there.
I’m happy to concede to your point, Insider. Banding you together with The Insider & Hopping in defending the current I.W was unfair.

I still don’t understand the ill-will towards this new channel though. I can only assume it’s more personal in nature. I have no hunger for ‘name and shame’ information and so am content for you to say no more.

If the information I've just read is true. From my perspective, it seems very believable. I'm not surprised that this happened, but I'm surprised by the short length of time it took to occur. Simon seems to have made an error of judgment about a gap in the market between the old Ideal World and the new Ideal World, particulary in the absense of a substantial cash backer to at least cover the daily running costs and staff wages. Even without a cash backer, I would have assumed that the business would have a continuity plan in place to cover running costs and wages to help it survive during the start-up and the subsequent weeks and months. The staff behind the scenes are the ones I feel the most sorry for. According to an earlier post from The Insider, it appears that many individuals were persuaded to leave their secure jobs and join this new venture.

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to come on here and tell you as much as I can and what we are trying to do. The camera issue has 100% been a problem for us be we had resolved it.
We have a business plan and as everyone has mentioned above - we needed one because it would be hugely naive to think we could survive launching a new channel (especially a shopping channel) over the summer months if we didn’t.
However, what we didn’t foresee is some of the platforms we are working with increasing the rent within the contract and once we were on air. It was a shock to us and we have two options. Stick our head in the sand and tell no-one.
Or let the staff know this has happened and we need to raise some more capital to cover this increase. (Which was dropped on us a couple of days ago).

The right thing to do is to make sure all the staff/freelancers are paid, our suppliers are at zero risk/exposure and go to tape and seek this investment to keep ourselves going.
Main priority now is two things - getting us back up and running as quickly as we can - by securing that investment (and we are talking to people) and making sure that the tapes being played out we fulfil all the orders - which we 100% can guarantee.

So that’s where we are. It’s been a busy few days and we are trying our best. Some will call us naive and we should have accounted for this possibly happening etc. But the sole purpose of launching this channel was to create a business that of course would be profitable but also fill a hole in the market for the products (and viewers) that we are trying to entertain/sell whatever you want to call it.

So bear with me, I will keep you updated. We are desperate to make this work (are talking to people to make this work) but we are fighting a few fires.

If it is true the channel is already struggling, and with absolutely no disrespect to anyone involved, you have to question how robust their due diligence was when planning the venture. You can understand if it was even a few months in, but days?

As we keep on saying, surely the overall model is outdated (for all the reasons we've mentioned previously, online retailers etc) and surely the viewer base in terms of quantity is gradually reducing.

Unless there's something we don't know, why anyone would want to launch a channel like this in 2024 goodness only knows.

The heyday of this selling model has passed and it ain't coming back.
As others have commented, I'd noticed there was no telephone number helpline to purchase, only via the web site.

An interesting slight change to the business model, get people interested in TV demos and then get them to go to the website to buy, hoping they don't search elsewhere online for the product cheaper.

I can understand the link to tiktok then if they think they are appealing to online-capable purchasers. Just not sure that's their actual customer base.

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to come on here and tell you as much as I can and what we are trying to do. The camera issue has 100% been a problem for us be we had resolved it.
We have a business plan and as everyone has mentioned above - we needed one because it would be hugely naive to think we could survive launching a new channel (especially a shopping channel) over the summer months if we didn’t.
However, what we didn’t foresee is some of the platforms we are working with increasing the rent within the contract and once we were on air. It was a shock to us and we have two options. Stick our head in the sand and tell no-one.
Or let the staff know this has happened and we need to raise some more capital to cover this increase. (Which was dropped on us a couple of days ago).

The right thing to do is to make sure all the staff/freelancers are paid, our suppliers are at zero risk/exposure and go to tape and seek this investment to keep ourselves going.
Main priority now is two things - getting us back up and running as quickly as we can - by securing that investment (and we are talking to people) and making sure that the tapes being played out we fulfil all the orders - which we 100% can guarantee.

So that’s where we are. It’s been a busy few days and we are trying our best. Some will call us naive and we should have accounted for this possibly happening etc. But the sole purpose of launching this channel was to create a business that of course would be profitable but also fill a hole in the market for the products (and viewers) that we are trying to entertain/sell whatever you want to call it.

So bear with me, I will keep you updated. We are desperate to make this work (are talking to people to make this work) but we are fighting a few fires.
So the on air items at time of posting are in stock

As others have commented, I'd noticed there was no telephone number helpline to purchase, only via the web site.

An interesting slight change to the business model, get people interested in TV demos and then get them to go to the website to buy, hoping they don't search elsewhere online for the product cheaper.

I can understand the link to tiktok then if they think they are appealing to online-capable purchasers. Just not sure that's their actual customer base.
Simon did say on air, not having a phone number cut costs

What I can't understand, is that Simon created a post on this forum about the channel launching. More than happy to do so. Since then, he has left Alex to do the rest.

Personally, with it being a small business, I'd have thought Simon should've been the one providing updates?

I imagine Simon has a lot on, and Alex is happy (we all appreciate) to comment. However, I'm sure Simon has read this and has given the go-ahead to say what he has.

I just think we'd have a little more respect (is isn't that we don't already) if he commented.

So the on air items at time of posting are in stock
There is no stock at SeoTV. When you make an order on SeoTV they pass it to the actual supplier, who sends it out 'on behalf' of SeoTV.

They have existing contract arrangements in place for each product supplier and some sort of call-off stock inventory.

e.g. they have 'reserved' X 100s of HB airfryers from the firm supplying (I forget the name, someone posted it here, same firm supplying /selling them on Amazon, etc.) them and can accept and pass on those orders to the supplier company for dispatch.

It's one reason p&p is per item line ordered and also why they can't offer free p&p for over £x amount because each supplier sends items, not from a central SeoTV warehouse.

What I can't understand, is that Simon created a post on this forum about the channel launching. More than happy to do so. Since then, he has left Alex to do the rest.

Personally, with it being a small business, I'd have thought Simon should've been the one providing updates?

I imagine Simon has a lot on, and Alex is happy (we all appreciate) to comment. However, I'm sure Simon has read this and has given the go-ahead to say what he has.

I just think we'd have a little more respect (is isn't that we don't already) if he commented.
Probably too busy fire-fighting. He is the CEO of this after all. A lot of work and demands on his time from everyone.

It sounds like his studio, broadcast, platform suppliers have stuffed him, if they've raised rents, service costs, channel broadcast costs, etc. during the go-live period.

Sounds like a dodgy contract/agreement or had not factored-in the risk of this happening, if all legal/above board.
???

Probably too busy fire-fighting. He is the CEO of this after all. A lot of work and demands on his time from everyone.

It sounds like his studio, broadcast, platform suppliers have stuffed him, if they've raised rents, service costs, channel broadcast costs, etc. during the go-live period.

Sounds like a dodgy contract/agreement or had not factored-in the risk of this happening, if all legal/above board.
???
Agree, signing a contract that allows a cost increases so early seems rather strange / dodgy. Hope the situation gets resolved.

Simon did say on air, not having a phone number cut costs
Sure, understandable. But then you're relying on people being web-capable and then not finding cheaper online elsewhere.

So without your own warehouse or stock and no helpline, you're effectively a reseller, relying on supplier agreements for them to ship your stuff.

A drop-seller in all but name, employing separate supplier product agreements to ship stock on your behalf, rather than Amazon or other bulk warehouse distributor.

Wonder what the margin/profit is, you're relying on wholesale cost to you via supplier, against retail price and have to make sufficient profit for both you and the supplier to make sufficient profit margins after all costs!

A difficult and perhaps unsustainable business model going forward.
We shall see. I just hope Simon Iles hasn't put his entire life savings into this project.

You have to wonder how both Simon and his lawyers missed these rent increases in all of the contracts with the platforms.

It is always difficult to get investment, especially when the there is no live business to pitch. Now he has a live channel, albeit showing repeats, which may make his investment pitch a bit easier. Hmmm.

You have to wonder how both Simon and his lawyers missed these rent increases in all of the contracts with the platforms.

It is always difficult to get investment, especially when the there is no live business to pitch. Now he has a live channel, albeit showing repeats, which may make his investment pitch a bit easier. Hmmm.
Somewhat nieve to miss a potential rent increase on a contract.

Hi everyone,
I’m sure Simon may post as well later as he is working round the clock on this. I’m not restricted or have to run past him what I have been putting on here but one last post from me for tonight as I’ve got home with the kids. :)
We have a warehouse for some of our SOTV products. Everything on the screen that is ordered will be sent out to customers so as a pre - recorded shows it’s business as usual. I don’t want people to worrying about ordering and not getting anything.
With regards to the question about my involvement with the business etc - myself and a few others are here working hard and supporting Simon. This is his venture and he has put everything into it so the shocks of the past few days have been tough - but his immediate decision was to get everyone paid, then go to fix the issue which he is working on literally 24/7. He has put everything into it.
for the rest of us it’s just sad at the moment because we had a great little channel. We have made a few mistakes and have learnt from them - like the comments above about taking calls etc. but we were trying to listen to customers, react to your comments like on the watches or prices etc and create a channel that was fun, not too serious and has some great products and deals.
We were well aware we wouldn’t please everyone but you could call us out and we could respond and hopefully improve.

If I’m quiet it’s because I’m not on here much during the weekend as I’m out with the children. Thank you again just for your support and questions. I’m happy to answer. I was here at the start when things were good and new so need to be present when it’s not so great. Have a good weekend. 👍

Somewhat nieve to miss a potential rent increase on a contract.
Fyi, it's 'naive'. For future use.

naive
adjective
(of a person or action) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgement.
"the rather naive young man had been totally misled"

(Don't worry, I used to think 'misled' was pronounce myzled, and not 'miss-lead').

Hi everyone,
I’m sure Simon may post as well later as he is working round the clock on this. I’m not restricted or have to run past him what I have been putting on here but one last post from me for tonight as I’ve got home with the kids. :)
We have a warehouse for some of our SOTV products. Everything on the screen that is ordered will be sent out to customers so as a pre - recorded shows it’s business as usual. I don’t want people to worrying about ordering and not getting anything.
With regards to the question about my involvement with the business etc - myself and a few others are here working hard and supporting Simon. This is his venture and he has put everything into it so the shocks of the past few days have been tough - but his immediate decision was to get everyone paid, then go to fix the issue which he is working on literally 24/7. He has put everything into it.
for the rest of us it’s just sad at the moment because we had a great little channel. We have made a few mistakes and have learnt from them - like the comments above about taking calls etc. but we were trying to listen to customers, react to your comments like on the watches or prices etc and create a channel that was fun, not too serious and has some great products and deals.
We were well aware we wouldn’t please everyone but you could call us out and we could respond and hopefully improve.

If I’m quiet it’s because I’m not on here much during the weekend as I’m out with the children. Thank you again just for your support and questions. I’m happy to answer. I was here at the start when things were good and new so need to be present when it’s not so great. Have a good weekend. 👍
Thank you Alex - I hope it gets sorted soon

Hi everyone,

The glue arrived today, our first purchase, and already its repaired a broken piece of window sill and some shoes, easy to use, I've got a couple of jobs for it over the weekend, no complaints here at all, just hope the channel can overcome all their issues as we were both really enjoying it, but we can't stand keep seeing the same repeats although it's become a new game of guess the presenter and product. I'm winning 7 3 at the moment !

This launch sounds a complete mess. This seems to have morphed from technical difficulties into .... the cash for broadcasting has dried up??

Im guessing you can't just blag a HD channel on sky on the cheap or everyone else would be doing it.

chef jack had me in stitches he was shredding a duck and the other guy was chuntering on (rubbish), and Jack said 'sorry mate I zoned out there' and started laughing. In other words I couldn't be arsed listening to you mate :LOL:

Some good banter.

Latest posts

Back