Help with Easiyo! It's an emergency!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Lola Rose

Registered Shopper
Hi everyone - I need some help!

I made my first easiyo today and even after a good 8 hours it still hasn't set enough (it's more of a liquid than yogurt).

Is there anything I can do to save it??

When this happens to me I refill the baffel in the barrel with boiling water and leave it for another hour or so. Make sure it is in a warm place, I had a problem with mine the other day so I have been leaving them by the radiator in the lounge while the weather is so cold.

Don't do anything to the yoghurt mix.

Pour away half of the water in the outer container and top up again with boiling water to the top of the red baffle and leave to set again.

Hopefully it will have set by the morning- it may only need about 3-4 hours but unless you are up during the night, I would not worry.

This happened to me and I managed to save the yoghurt.

The problem may have risen due to the fact that at this time of the year the water coming out of the tap is very cold. You can get around this by allowing the water to reach room temperature before using, or by adding a little more boiling water to the outer container (ie about 0.5 cm above the top of the red baffle)

Hope this works for you.

Thanks so much - I've done what you've both said plus I've moved the container from the kitchen into the back room. HOPEFULLY that will do it!!!

I always leave mine a lot longer than the recommended time - I make it in the evening, usually around 9.00 pm, and don't put it in the fridge until the following evening when I get home from work, so 5.00 to 6.00 pm-ish. Sometimes I've been able to put it in the fridge in the morning before I leave, but usually it's been the evening. It's always been fine, so leaving it longer won't hurt.

I never had any problems making the yogurt. I prepare it around 10pm and at 7 am it is ready and can go in the fridge. You can add hot water at the end if it stays too liquidy.
I made a batch yesterday and added skimmed milk instead of water, and it came out great with a smoother taste! Make sure when you do the mix, the water is not too cold

mine never sets in 8 hours.

i always have to top up with more boiling water (in the outer cannister) and it takes more like 24 hrs to set.

Yes, I agree with everyone here in that I often refresh the flask with more boiling water and/or leave it much longer than they say before putting it in the fridge.

I too usally do mine overnight, and I usally put more water in the flask than it says. In this colder weather I too leave the tap water in a jug whilst I get everthing together.

I've had this problem several times,so I've made a version of the old "hay-box" by getting a polystyrene box plus lid----the greengrocer usually has plenty of these that broccoli comes in .The yoghurt flask goes in as usual,packed round with more polystyrene(another box broken up) then the lid.This way,the yoghurt flask stays evenly warm and sets reliably every time even in very cold weather---anyway,it does for me! Mind you,I use the Simply Yoghurt system which has a dumpier flask---don't know if the taller Easi Yo flask would fit in the broccoli box.I'm sure any taller box would work just as well if filled with insulation.Good luck with your future yoghurt making.

Thanks for your helps everyone!

Well, I replaced the outside water with fresh boliing water and left it for about 7 or 8 hours which resulted in a more yogurt-like consistancy.

The yogurt is DELICIOUS, like nothing I've tasted before. I used the Sweet Greek and I could eat the whole jar to be honest, in one go.

If I want it to be thicker still, do I add more hot water again??

My concern is the fat content, I know they are 'supposed' to be less fat than regular yogurts, but does anyone know the syns amount for the regular sachets?

Thanks xx

I too usally do mine overnight, and I usally put more water in the flask than it says. In this colder weather I too leave the tap water in a jug whilst I get everthing together.

Lol! I put a tea-cosy on mine as well! :)

I'm glad it worked for you in the end! We are recent convert to easiyo and my family would never go back to shop bought again. Our favourite is the wildberry drinking variety.
The only time I had a problem seemed to be when I didn't stir/shake it well enough to start with and the botton set whilst the top was runny, but I shook it and left it for a few more hours.

Mine is always really thick I use the Easyio and the Simply. I always empty the flask and refill with boiling water after 8 hours and then leave it for another hour or two and that seems to make it thick set. I don't think the thermos I have (I have the Simply one) is insulated enough I would definitely make sure it is in a warm place.

I'm glad it worked for you in the end! We are recent convert to easiyo and my family would never go back to shop bought again. Our favourite is the wildberry drinking variety.
The only time I had a problem seemed to be when I didn't stir/shake it well enough to start with and the botton set whilst the top was runny, but I shook it and left it for a few more hours.

I love the wildberry drinking yogurt too - not had any for a bit so might make some later.

I love EasiYo - my favourites are the Greek and Raspberry ones. Yummy. The only time mine didn't set - which was the raspberry I made a couple of weeks ago - I just added more boiling water and left it longer and it was fine.

If I want it to be thicker still, do I add more hot water again??

I would try adding a little less water to the yoghurt mix if you want to make it thicker. I thought that they said on QVC that it will be tangier if you leave it out longer before putting it in the fridge, so adding hot water again may affect the taste.

I have found that it does seem to thicken once it has been in the fridge for a few hours anyway.

I would experiment and see what you prefer.

Trust me to put the cat amongst the pigeons. I e-mailed Easiyo not long ago as I was suffering the same problem as you, that the yoghurt wouldn't set. Anyway, the lady who contacted me back said that there were a few rules that it was best to follow in the UK - some of which have already been given on here

She told me to always draw the water off a good few hours before you need to make the yoghurt as British tap water is much colder than New Zealand tap water. If the weather is particularly cold, add another 1cm or so of boiling water to the baffle.

But she also told me to never ever top up with boiling water again if the yoghurt hasn't set after the recommended time - this is because apparently if you do that it can kill off the live lactic cultures in there. She said just to place it back in the maker and leave it for another few hours and then re-check it without topping up.

If you are still having probs with it setting - contact Easiyo directly, I had 4 sachets that didn't set at all, told them about it (this was when they gave me the advice above) and they replaced them free of charge for me, by return of post! Excellent CS...

Trust me to put the cat amongst the pigeons. I e-mailed Easiyo not long ago as I was suffering the same problem as you, that the yoghurt wouldn't set. Anyway, the lady who contacted me back said that there were a few rules that it was best to follow in the UK - some of which have already been given on here

She told me to always draw the water off a good few hours before you need to make the yoghurt as British tap water is much colder than New Zealand tap water. If the weather is particularly cold, add another 1cm or so of boiling water to the baffle.

But she also told me to never ever top up with boiling water again if the yoghurt hasn't set after the recommended time - this is because apparently if you do that it can kill off the live lactic cultures in there. She said just to place it back in the maker and leave it for another few hours and then re-check it without topping up.

If you are still having probs with it setting - contact Easiyo directly, I had 4 sachets that didn't set at all, told them about it (this was when they gave me the advice above) and they replaced them free of charge for me, by return of post! Excellent CS...

Thanks for this I didn't realise it could kill of the live bacteria. Howard on IW tells you to tip a little of the water out of the baffle and top up with boiling water. I will try leaving mine longer and not topping it up as I don't want to kill it. I hope this works as prior to topping it up it was like liquid.

I never thought about the live lactic cultures so thanks for that. Having said that I still would prefer a nice tasting yoghurt without them rather than a mushy liquid mess which I would have to throw away.

I have found the Easiyo site in NZ which has Q&As, some of which may be helpful, although the water/air temperature will be different to ours in the UK.
Having said that who knows what is in our water anyway! I was told by someone who worked in the industry that more additives are added into the water over the w/e and bank holidays. We certainly can smell more chlorine in ours.

http://live.isitesoftware.co.nz/easiyo/questionsanswers/qayogurtbases/#i14

got an easi yo maker before xmas,its still in the boot of my car!! going to get some yogurt ordered and get making it this week!! think we will try the greek first,as everyone seems to like that one

Latest posts

Back