I had to double take!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

A classy bin at that price needs to be shown off to all and sundry. I suggest having a dinner party for your child's teacher, the lollipop lady, your best friend, your next-best friend, your next-door neighbour and anyone else that you always give presents to. Use the bin as a centrepiece, decorated with a large display of Peony flaaaaaaaahs which you could remove for a particularly messy course, and throw all the bones, peel and paper serviettes into the bin during and after the meal. All you'd have to do would be to tell the bin to open and hey presto! Instant hilarity! Your table would look dressy and stylish, you would get a reputation for being a sassy host and your social life would improve no end. You could even train the bin to hop off the table at the end of the meal and effortlessly replace itself beside the back door or wherever it lives so there'd be no need for further entertainment - the bin does it all!

What was that item number again?

:cool:
You may have to hurry - apparently a bloke called Lee from Ventnor is looking to buy a load

Absolutely right - who on earth would spend that kind of money on a bin - LoL it's not funny in fact because it's so serious, it begs the question - these days what or who is the targeted audience for QVC.

QVC bases itself on the American model - which is after all, the parent company, but there are ways and styles, likes and dislikes from an American audience which are so totally polar opposite to us. Americans are different, and they look at things differently, and to be honest, they believe almost anything (I know I lived there for a long time) gullable in some instances.

I think QVC UK need to remember we are their target audience not the US

I think what is surprising is it will probably sell out! I prefer my manual flip top grunge muncher, I think it was less than a fiver - and even at that price I think I was done!

Probably very popular in America because they probably get to buy it for $39 or something totally stupid compared to what they charge over here.

I'm slightly addicted to watching flipping Vegas and can't believe how much they get for their money when remodelling a house. If we did that to a house over here with the quality of products it would cost 10 times more. Think I need to move.lol

Q wouldn't sell these things if they didn't sell.

People spend their money on what they choose to spend it on. Some people spend hundreds of pounds on a 2 week holiday that's over in a fortnight, others might choose to spend £300 on a bin that will last for life.

I don't understand why it's always such an issue when Q sell something that costs more than a couple of hundred quid. Not saying I'd buy it, but if others want to - so what?

Last edited:
We bought an automatically opening bin about a year ago.
£35 from BnQ, in sale
Nearly didn't - too expensive
Had it for 9 months
Hated it

Have now returned to the £8 flip lid style we had before.
Stays cleaner, seems to smell less, and much easier to clean.

More expensive does not necessarily mean better!

Q wouldn't sell these things if they didn't sell.

People spend their money on what they choose to spend it on. Some people spend hundreds of pounds on a 2 week holiday that's over in a fortnight, others might choose to spend £300 on a bin that will last for life.

I don't understand why it's always such an issue when Q sell something that costs more than a couple of hundred quid. Not saying I'd buy it, but if others want to - so what?

if someone choses to buy it thats up to them, but its very different paying £250 for a handbag than it is paying £250 for a bin! call me old fashioned but what ever happened to a bin being a place to put your rubbish that when it got full you put your rubber gloves on and emptied it... seems as if the world is becoming technology mad, so much so its warranting companies making 'designer' bins...

We bought an automatically opening bin about a year ago.
£35 from BnQ, in sale
Nearly didn't - too expensive
Had it for 9 months
Hated it

Have now returned to the £8 flip lid style we had before.
Stays cleaner, seems to smell less, and much easier to clean.

More expensive does not necessarily mean better!

Exactly ...the shiny bits on the lid tarnished on ours ...just like you got the flip top ...easy to clean and practical ....Elton John would probably have these stupid price bins ......he's got the money ...trouble is many people want to live on champagne ideas with beer money ...as my dear Mum used to say ...but each to his own...

I got two automatic-opening bin from Bid-Up donkeys years ago. (about 30 quid including over-priced phone call and postage) The kitchen one was good and lasted about 3 years. The small one in the bathroom was a nuisance because it opened whenever anyone approached the sink (surprisingly noisy in the middle of the night) and irritating when brushing one's teeth as in two minutes it'd open about 5 or 6 times. The plumbers who fitted our new bathroom were fascinated by it though! In retrospect I should have let them keep it as a tip!

A neice's husband bought a washing-up bowl in a sickly green for - wait for it - £50!!! (Mine cost £5 years ago). And their friends thought it was very cool. It's not particularly practical because it doesn't even hold much. Complete madness. Thankfully it's not my money they're spending.

Maybe QVC should start looking at washing-up bowls next. The mark-up on a £50 plastic bowl must be huge.

I have to say if it was between spending £250 on a bin for the whole family to use or £250 on a Lulu Guinness bag , id pick the bin any day, at least its practical lol

When it comes to household items then there is no way I would spend anywhere near that kind of money, it's so uneccesary. Neither would I spend that kind of money on a bag (although I hate to admit that I used to do so, in fact more than double the price of LG- when I was in my 20's). Once my children came along I could not face spending very large amounts of money on a bag for me. I now have less than 10 bags in total, my most costly is a Mulberry from the factory shop in Shepton Mallett that was an "old season" line rather than "special purchase". It's lovely, fab quality but no way does it fit my daily haul inside. The rest of my bags cost less than £40 per item, and every single one of them gets used a lot.

My bin is a cream vintage looking metal bin with a lid... from Ikea!! Very stylish but cheap as chips.

When I see what goes inside my bin and I see what goes inside my bag ... there aint a lot of difference lol.both are full of rubbish !

A neice's husband bought a washing-up bowl in a sickly green for - wait for it - £50!!! (Mine cost £5 years ago). And their friends thought it was very cool. It's not particularly practical because it doesn't even hold much. Complete madness. Thankfully it's not my money they're spending.

Maybe QVC should start looking at washing-up bowls next. The mark-up on a £50 plastic bowl must be huge.

But wait ... there is more stuff from the overpriced Q niche range;

412 613 Decafinated Coffee Table £299.99.

Sorry, not had chance to get on this forum for a few days so am posting quite a bit tonight! Honestly though who on earth would pay that for a bin. Does anyone remember the Harry Enfield sketch 'I saw you coming'. I reckon this product is just right for that shop! Honestly, how much do QVC think the majority of us earn?

Some companies must approach QVC to sell their products. It might be quite a good way of getting exposure to a new market and relatively cheap as well.

Sorry, not had chance to get on this forum for a few days so am posting quite a bit tonight! Honestly though who on earth would pay that for a bin. Does anyone remember the Harry Enfield sketch 'I saw you coming'. I reckon this product is just right for that shop! Honestly, how much do QVC think the majority of us earn?

:mysmilie_15: yes Whitesnake ...that is such a good comparison...:mysmilie_59:

I have to say if it was between spending £250 on a bin for the whole family to use or £250 on a Lulu Guinness bag , id pick the bin any day, at least its practical lol

well it depends on how big your family is i suppose. for my house its not worth it, only me and my son and he's hardly ever here.

Latest posts

Back