I'm really hating............

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Back to long nails...

I watched This Morning yesterday (I usually tape it for the medical stuff) but it ran on in the background and caught my attention when Alison Hammond said she couldn't get a GP appointment for her ingrown toenail.

WTAF?! She has long painted talons that I assume she pays for (though she admitted that she haggles for EVERYTHING and NEVER pays full price). She earns a LOT. Why doesn't she pay to see a podiatrist FFS?! Wasting a GP appointment for something like that is disgusting. My friend's 90 year old dad paid £35 for his podiatrist appointment for his ingrown toenails yesterday and he gets pension credit as he's not well off. He refuses to tax the NHS to sort them.

I have one ingrown that flares but I manage it myself with saltwater foot baths and lifting the edge with some cotton wool. I've recently learnt that running the tip of a metal nail file down the length and under the free edge of the nail keeps it at bay. I'm careful with it as infection can cause my condition to worsen.

She's a horribly greedy woman. I used to enjoy her interviews but since she's become a presenter she's constantly stuffing demo items down her bra while grinning at the camera. She also hints loudly if something she wants is not in front of her. It's even more galling than presenters being given stuff to talk about on their blogs.

Don't these people realise that times are tight for normal folk and grabbing and bragging like they do is not endearing?

My top tip in the heatwave. Sitting watching tv with my feet in a bowl of cold water.

I have one f those cooling dog beds. It's bigger than a human one and a quarter of the price of most when I bought it at Aldi.

A bowl of ice water to dip a flannel in then wring and dab on wrists and neck is helpful, too, and the cooling towels they've been selling on Q do actually work (or at least the version I bought elsewhere does). You don't need ice water for them and they stay cold and damp for a good while.

I suffer with Uthoff's phenomenon that causes all my neurological symptoms to worsen until I cool down. I might try the feet in water tip but my feet are always cold no matter what the temperature.

Ewwwww. Now I can't unimagine Alison Hammonds feet ! I only hope her toe nails are not as long as her finger nails !! Long toenails I can't abide. I noticed Ruthless and Franks tend to have long(ish) toe nails - on the occasions that the camera pans to their feet. And when the model Betsy is modelling sandals - she has pale pink almost white nail polish, I can't take my eyes off her big toe ! - the nail looks false its so big.

My top tip in the heatwave. Sitting watching tv with my feet in a bowl of cold water.
Last week I was working from home and had a Teams meeting (only with my immediate colleagues). I admitted that the chilled out look on my face was caused by a frozen filled hot water bottle on the floor and my feet were resting on it🤭🤣

Ewwwww. Now I can't unimagine Alison Hammonds feet ! I only hope her toe nails are not as long as her finger nails !! Long toenails I can't abide. I noticed Ruthless and Franks tend to have long(ish) toe nails - on the occasions that the camera pans to their feet. And when the model Betsy is modelling sandals - she has pale pink almost white nail polish, I can't take my eyes off her big toe ! - the nail looks false its so big.

Ew indeed. I've also noticed that the Tipp-Ex type polishes make toenails look false. Not a great look.

I had to rewind one show as I'd noticed Jill Franks was wearing white and very badly painted polish instead of her usual taupe recently. She was back to taupe today so I may have been imagining things due to the heat.

Those cooling towels are the best thing* I have ever bought (from Dobbies)
Agreed! They’re really good - and I was a cynic!

But I am having palpitations now - literally (I have a heart condition!) as just checked forecast for Tues and it’s now saying 42 degrees!! 😳

Barely survived today!

Good luck to everyone!

Back to long nails...

I watched This Morning yesterday (I usually tape it for the medical stuff) but it ran on in the background and caught my attention when Alison Hammond said she couldn't get a GP appointment for her ingrown toenail.

WTAF?! She has long painted talons that I assume she pays for (though she admitted that she haggles for EVERYTHING and NEVER pays full price). She earns a LOT. Why doesn't she pay to see a podiatrist FFS?! Wasting a GP appointment for something like that is disgusting. My friend's 90 year old dad paid £35 for his podiatrist appointment for his ingrown toenails yesterday and he gets pension credit as he's not well off. He refuses to tax the NHS to sort them.

I have one ingrown that flares but I manage it myself with saltwater foot baths and lifting the edge with some cotton wool. I've recently learnt that running the tip of a metal nail file down the length and under the free edge of the nail keeps it at bay. I'm careful with it as infection can cause my condition to worsen.

She's a horribly greedy woman. I used to enjoy her interviews but since she's become a presenter she's constantly stuffing demo items down her bra while grinning at the camera. She also hints loudly if something she wants is not in front of her. It's even more galling than presenters being given stuff to talk about on their blogs.

Don't these people realise that times are tight for normal folk and grabbing and bragging like they do is not endearing?

I have one f those cooling dog beds. It's bigger than a human one and a quarter of the price of most when I bought it at Aldi.

A bowl of ice water to dip a flannel in then wring and dab on wrists and neck is helpful, too, and the cooling towels they've been selling on Q do actually work (or at least the version I bought elsewhere does). You don't need ice water for them and they stay cold and damp for a good while.

I suffer with Uthoff's phenomenon that causes all my neurological symptoms to worsen until I cool down. I might try the feet in water tip but my feet are always cold no matter what the temperature.
I really hope that any GP would tell Alison or anyone else trying to see them for an ingrown toenail where to go - can’t believe she’d even think that was an appropriate use of a GP’s time even in normal circumstances let alone ATM!

My mum couldn’t even get to speak to a GP let alone see one for months, until she ended up in A&E where the consultant was worried she had a tumour - and even then they still did triage and phone call first...

I used to get ingrowns really badly as a teenager and had a few podiatrist appointments (I have circulation probs), but touch would not had them for a long while..

I’m really sorry about your neurological symptoms, hope you can manage them okay and hope heat isn’t bad where you are to flare them up...
Take care.

It makes my conditions worse too. Yuck!

(But please don’t watch This Morning for medical advice, will you?! At least nothing serious! 😉)

I used to get them bad when I was a little girl. Mum used to be forever taking me to the chiropodist. I make sure my nails are cut straight across and don't get them anymore. Life getting any treatment in those days was a breeze.

Agreed! They’re really good - and I was a cynic!

But I am having palpitations now - literally (I have a heart condition!) as just checked forecast for Tues and it’s now saying 42 degrees!! 😳

Barely survived today!

Good luck to everyone!
Almost 10am here and it is grey and dull so far, but nevertheless it is 24C

It’s 10am and already 30C here and sunny. 😳 They’re forecasting over 37C today and 40C tomorrow for my area.

Where’s that cold bowl of water for my feet? 😉
My QVC B&H fan is great and is keeping me cool very effectively, even on the lowest setting. My living room is 26C. One of my best QVC TSV buys.

My QVC B&H fan is great and is keeping me cool very effectively, even on the lowest setting. My living room is 26C. One of my best QVC TSV buys.

Thankfully my house is cool as its position means the sun is never directly on it. I have 2 of the B&H fans (one bought last year) plus two large desk fans which are upstairs in the cupboard. I’m sleeping like a log, despite the heat, because I have a superb floor standing fan in my room.

I agree with you that the B&H fans are very good and that’s the only one I’ve needed to use, barring the one in my bedroom. The fact that they can be used while charging is also an advantage.

However, the feet in a cold bowl of water is very refreshing in the evenings. 😉

I’ve also got an air con unit but haven’t had to put it on since moving here in 2009 ….. yet.

Its now 35c where I am in N. Herts. Dog has been out this morning for a pee in the garden, but it was too hot even then for me to take her out. A bit awkward as she needs to do more than a pee, but she's in no hurry to go out. What to do ????

31.5C now at 1440. I am finding breathing uncomfortable as the air is so hot to breathe in. Not experienced this before.

It is now a bit hotter outside than in the house, so perhaps I should close all my windows, which is counterintuitive. This was recommended on the radio, but probably a bit too late now, I should hvave done it as soon as I got up.

I never open my windows as I’m not a spider lover. I do fling the patio doors open in summer though, but not today. The curtains and blinds have been closed all day and I’m quite cool in the house although it’s now 36C outside. 😳

My neighbour is Portuguese and has just popped round to tell me that she and the family are going to Portugal this afternoon, for three weeks, to visit relatives.

I do not envy her at all. They’ll have to cope with the airport and possible queues, the flight and then the high temperatures and awful fires over there. I just hope they stay safe.

For the first time ever I am following the advice to keep windows closed, and have the Dyson fan on in the living room. Tonight I shall have a pretty good normal, large desk fan blasting away near my bed. I too have been sleeping well using that. Apparently it is 36C here now and should go up to 37. I did pop out just to see what it felt like but soon popped back in! The ground was so hot to stand on! I’ve got a theatre trip on Thursday so hope it’s better by then. I quite feel like popping open a cold bottle of wine, but better not!

I never have the bedroom windows open during the day or evening, until I’m ready to get into bed, because sometimes a big moth or a spider will get in and I have to cope with a crisis at bedtime. Also, I never leave my door open in case an urban fox gets in and pees etc all over the furniture, or leaves its fleas here. Ugh.

I did manage to go for a short walk before 9.00 but doubt if I’ll even manage that tomorrow.

Nlow 33C and I've closed all the windows.

Somehow it feels more comfortable, yet the indoor temp hasn't gone down from 28.5C

Haven't been outdoors, but will go out at dusk to water a square metre of new grass which has gone brown. I have saved a watering can full of bath water for this.

Latest posts

Back