Julia R

• Thread starter Deleted member 22840
  • Start date
ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

When I booked mine got two appointments at the same, next one in May, same for my frontline workers, theirs is in April. The Asta Zeneca has given me a very painful forearm but finally, nearly 7 days later, it's improving.

I have a friend who is STILL dealing with some horrible problems arising from covid, which they had back in February and March last year, admitted to hospital in March. They have had 4 operations so far including a planned op on Friday and an unexpected one on Saturday.
If you are unlucky enough to get a bad case of this virus, there can be very nasty side effects and complications, sadly. I prefer to go with a vaccine taken by millions, rather than take my chances with covid.
Waiting as patiently as I can for my invitation to be jabbed.

I lost my taste and smell in the beginning of December 2019 - weeks before we heard about (officially anyway) Covid, and definitely weeks before loss of taste and smell was designated as a symptom. So its my strong belief that Covid was widespread in this country long before we were officially told about it.
That’s my strong belief too! I had the worst chest infection I have ever had (with the exception of whooping cough a few years back) in December 2019. I had to go to the GP and was sent for a chest XRay. It was just dreadful. Then in January I got shingles! What a great couple of months they were, 😀.

I haven’t got a date for my second Astra Zeneca jab yet. It seems as if they started off making appointments here but gave up and will be texting us nearer the time now. I hope!

Last edited:
Mazz, I had a friend who had similar symptoms to yourself in Dec 19, he felt it was the worst 'flu' ever, and he is never ill, so he too believes it was Covid before it was even mentioned.

I booked my jab online, and was automatically taken to a page to book the second appointment 12 weeks later, so I suppose that is the benefit of an online booking.

I have just read your post alter, sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier. Like you, I don’t use the EMS around the house. Prednisalone was offered to me for flare ups. In the beginning it really dealt with the inflammation but less so with time. It gave me so much energy and it was impossible to sleep. There was also the issue of weight gain. The antibiotics are essential for me because MS can cause constant UTIs. Each infection caused a new MS flare up. In my case all the pros and cons were weighted up and alternating between low dose antibiotics was the only way forward. I know it’s not the best thing but it has helped me a great deal.
Knowing you have a folding chair in the boot is very reassuring. Sometimes I just say, that’s enough I want the wheel chair now! I am now look for every way that will make things easier. As I have said the lift is our next project and my grandchildren can’t wait to have a new toy!

Thanks for replying.

I'm so ****** angry my surgery can NOT get my records right! My neuro has written to them about prescribing diazepam short-term for back spasms that are so painfulI can't move for days. My MS nurse has written to ask that I'm prescribed antibiotics for frequent UTIs.

Having said that, I've no idea if the letters are being sent or received. I live in a county that doesn't have a hospital with a neuro (or many other specialities) so we all get shunted to the next county hospital (which is actually half the distance away from our 'proper' hospital). My neuro actually told us he was seeing me 'out of the goodness of his heart' as our county is apparently slow to pay the other county. This has made me even more reluctant to have the treatment I probably should be having.

On top of that I have TM rather than MS which one locum in my surgery said she'd never heard of. My neuro is expecting it to become PPMS at some stage, though. It all goes over my head. All I know is my body reacts in the opposite way to drugs that's normal - that's with most drugs. I'm also allergic to a lot of things so the Covid jab might be fun for me.

I'm not a fan of antibiotics but they're the only thing between my UTIs and a kidney infection - as my history shows. And that's without the risk of relapse. I also had an allergic reaction that frightened the crap out of me the last twice I had them so have to take anti-histamines alongside them. I signed the antibiotic charter as I was bought up by a mum who nearly lost her life to an infection pre-antibiotic days and it seems we're heading that way again. Luckily, I saw a female doctor in a women's clinic about 5 years ago and was taught to double-void as I can't empty my bladder properly (I use catheters when it really gets stuck, increasing the risk of UTI). It takes me ****** ages to pee but I've gone from having 13-14 infections a year to maybe 2.

Sorry. That turned into an almighty rany. It must be PMT time 😂 ThoughI have been looking at wheelchairs since reading your post. If I win the lottery I'm buying the Genny off-roader and the Genie standing chairs (I'm an ex-biker and would love those but am oddly scared of a scooter!).

Thanks for replying.

I'm so ****** angry my surgery can NOT get my records right! My neuro has written to them about prescribing diazepam short-term for back spasms that are so painfulI can't move for days. My MS nurse has written to ask that I'm prescribed antibiotics for frequent UTIs.

Having said that, I've no idea if the letters are being sent or received. I live in a county that doesn't have a hospital with a neuro (or many other specialities) so we all get shunted to the next county hospital (which is actually half the distance away from our 'proper' hospital). My neuro actually told us he was seeing me 'out of the goodness of his heart' as our county is apparently slow to pay the other county. This has made me even more reluctant to have the treatment I probably should be having.

On top of that I have TM rather than MS which one locum in my surgery said she'd never heard of. My neuro is expecting it to become PPMS at some stage, though. It all goes over my head. All I know is my body reacts in the opposite way to drugs that's normal - that's with most drugs. I'm also allergic to a lot of things so the Covid jab might be fun for me.

I'm not a fan of antibiotics but they're the only thing between my UTIs and a kidney infection - as my history shows. And that's without the risk of relapse. I also had an allergic reaction that frightened the crap out of me the last twice I had them so have to take anti-histamines alongside them. I signed the antibiotic charter as I was bought up by a mum who nearly lost her life to an infection pre-antibiotic days and it seems we're heading that way again. Luckily, I saw a female doctor in a women's clinic about 5 years ago and was taught to double-void as I can't empty my bladder properly (I use catheters when it really gets stuck, increasing the risk of UTI). It takes me ****** ages to pee but I've gone from having 13-14 infections a year to maybe 2.

Sorry. That turned into an almighty rany. It must be PMT time 😂 ThoughI have been looking at wheelchairs since reading your post. If I win the lottery I'm buying the Genny off-roader and the Genie standing chairs (I'm an ex-biker and would love those but am oddly scared of a scooter!).
When I win the lottery I'll buy you the off-roader! Promise 🤞

Thanks for replying.

Contact your MP with all your concerns & inform the practice manager of your complaint. If that doesn't get things sorted contact the NHS England Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 2233 or email [email protected]. My wonderful brother in law died because of the negligence of an inadequate doctor & my sister & I don't take any cr*p. You've worked for the health service so must have seen more than your fair share of useless medics & their minions. Funnily enough I've never heard anyone have an issue with a vet. Having a UTI is my idea of Hell, I take cranberry extract tablets daily & have an emergency supply of uva ursi.

alter, I am so sorry to hear that things are not good. Do the hospital send you a copy of all letters sent to your GP? Luckily I do receive all hospital letters and I refer to these whenever I need contact with my GP. Also, I never make phone calls. I email the MS team or the GP’s surgery. When there is a written record I feel that they take greater care.
My wheelchair is very simple and requires me being pushed. As I’ve said it’s for those I can’t do this anymore moments. My scooter gives me the freedom to get out of the house on a sunny day. There are lots of things to consider but there are ways to make things easier. I have resisted making these decisions for years but having made them it’s fine. I walk when I can for as long as I can but it’s good to have alternatives because my balance is not too good and there are fatigue issues.

I get frustrated getting my medication sorted and it’s suddenly become my job to inform the GP when I am due blood tests. I am not looking for an admin job!

I hope you soon feel better. I haven’t felt too wonderful for a few days but today things are better. Take care and thinking of you.

I am at OH and forgot one of my pills, so I am looking on it as an experiment to see if missing it for a few days makes any diiference
I don’t know what medication you’re on but, if it’s prescribed, I would’t think that it was advisable to stop taking them for a few days without checking with your doctor.

Contact your MP with all your concerns & inform the practice manager of your complaint. If that doesn't get things sorted contact the NHS England Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 2233 or email [email protected]. My wonderful brother in law died because of the negligence of an inadequate doctor & my sister & I don't take any cr*p. You've worked for the health service so must have seen more than your fair share of useless medics & their minions. Funnily enough I've never heard anyone have an issue with a vet. Having a UTI is my idea of Hell, I take cranberry extract tablets daily & have an emergency supply of uva ursi.

I'm so sorry about your brother-in-law, Twi. I hope you got heard and had a result that although it won't bring him back, will have helped you heal (assuming you got anywhere or if it's over yet. If not, I wish you luck).

Yes, I've seen quite a few people that aren't fit to work for the NHS. A lot are in the top jobs in the hospital. Yes, they've worked hard but they have absolutely no regard for the people they're supposed to look after. We had the hated job of ringing patients to tell them that their clinic the following day and could they please wait for a new appointment in the post. Most would get frustrated and angry that they'd had no notice or that we couldn't give a date then

All because the consultant had decided to play golf/book a week off the following day.

Consideration for others (or the NHS and the money it takes to cancel/re-book their clinics) does not exist for these people.

I did work with some lovely and decent consultants just as I worked with some pretty obnoxious nursing staff that really could not be bothered to do their job properly but would be first to scream 'abuse' if a patient got irritated after asking for help the umpteenth time before finally losing it with them.

The NHS in general has pushed this myth that staff are all angels that must be worshipped. They've started to believe their own press and the outcome is not pretty for patients.

I've tried using cranberry tablets (and juice - gallons of it), as well as uva ursi and d-mannose. Nothing seemed to prevent them. Until I changed my pee ritual. I now pee, try to push out a bit more, wipe stand, turn around a few times then repeat until I'm sure I've completely emptied. It's been a revelation and made a huge difference in the number of infections I was having. It's a bit of a shock and a big disappointment when I get one now, though.

alter, I am so sorry to hear that things are not good. Do the hospital send you a copy of all letters sent to your GP? Luckily I do receive all hospital letters and I refer to these whenever I need contact with my GP. Also, I never make phone calls. I email the MS team or the GP’s surgery. When there is a written record I feel that they take greater care.
My wheelchair is very simple and requires me being pushed. As I’ve said it’s for those I can’t do this anymore moments. My scooter gives me the freedom to get out of the house on a sunny day. There are lots of things to consider but there are ways to make things easier. I have resisted making these decisions for years but having made them it’s fine. I walk when I can for as long as I can but it’s good to have alternatives because my balance is not too good and there are fatigue issues.

I get frustrated getting my medication sorted and it’s suddenly become my job to inform the GP when I am due blood tests. I am not looking for an admin job!

I hope you soon feel better. I haven’t felt too wonderful for a few days but today things are better. Take care and thinking of you.

I agree with you about written records. I now always email with any complaint as there's a record that can't be argued.

My surgery doesn't use email 😂 😂 😂

I always find it amazing how, like you, I have to inform GP when blood tests etc., are due but they can pull a prescription without informing me and the first I know is my pharmacy delivery not turning up.

Thank you for your support - it means a lot.

A quick update after all those replies I've bombed the thread with...

Mr AE has had his jab appointment for next week as he's my unpaid carer. He rang earlier but they have nothing for me yet as I'm not on the list. Exactly the same as the normal flu jab.

He's ringing the manager tomorrow. That'll be fun. If he's not careful he'll be known as the 'difficult' carer of the non-existent 'difficult' patient :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A quick update after all those replies I've bombed the thread with...

Mr AE has had his jab appointment for next week as he's my unpaid carer. He rang earlier but they have nothing for me yet as I'm not on the list. Exactly the same as the normal flu jab.

He's ringing the manager tomorrow. That'll be fun. If he's not careful he'll be known as the 'difficult' carer of the non-existent 'difficult' patient :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm disgusted that you weren't called weeks ago & trust it'll get arranged asap. My sister dealt with PALS during the last couple of years of his life but after he died she said that she didn't have the physical or mental strength to carry on fighting; she'd spent two months sharing a side room with him because the staff were so incompetent & this was in a 'Centre of Excellence'. He was my hero, the most honourable person & an all round lovely man.

All power to your husband, AE. I was that "difficult carer" and fought tooth and nail for my mum in a care home - using the word "care" selectively because not all caring staff are caring, as has already been said. Don't expect any support from anyone (even your MP) and you won't be disappointed. He's fighting a whole system and they have ways and means of trying to break you down, so please tell him to be strong and know what he's doing is simply right. End. I really feel for you both. ❤️

Latest posts

Back