Julia Roberts STILL asking for "Christian" names

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is getting to the stage when people who mean no harm whatsoever can't say the most innocent of things without someone somewhere saying they are offended.

It is getting to the stage when people who mean no harm whatsoever can't say the most innocent of things without someone somewhere saying they are offended.

I agree and to be honest, i am pig sick of all this political correctness crap !

In Spain I absolutely love these little sweets, they are like chocolate peanuts. Can you imagine that packaging in the UK:eek:

374324641_6b65fb1c44.jpg

It's good to see there are others on this forum with a bit of common sense.

Well I for one will continue to refer to forenames as 'Christian' names and if that upsets some folk, well so be it. And I hope JR continues too!!

No need to be sorry Pinkearplugs. The point I was trying to make with Mrs Timber was that whatever we say in this day and age we will invariably upset/offend someone. It is only those who are insistent on being PC who are causing problems. It is the PC brigade who highlight and the raise issues. This then leads to debates such as we have just had on the correctness of christian names. Rather than helping to show tolerance, they are in fact igniting peoples reactions through their own negativity on society.

I have no religious feelings one way or the other so 'first name' isn't personally offensive, nor is 'Christian name' as I was born here and understand the history.

But I can see that some people would much prefer the terms forename or first name. What's to get upset over with that ? They're both inclusive and neutral and don't deny anyone's religion or background. I can't believe Christians are so frail that dropping this term endangers their beliefs or indeed our culture as a whole. I'm proud of our country for generally being open to new ways of thinking. *shrugs*

I agree with Burlz on this one. It's not offensive to use the phrase "Christian name" but it does show ignorance and something of a Little Englander mentality. It's just good manners to say "first name" instead. Would you ask an Indian lady in a sari for her "Christian" name if you were taking her details down?

I know a lady who has used the phrase "sun-kissed" to describe Asian people for over 40 years. She doesn't mean it rudely, that's what her family said in the 1950s, but of course it's blooming offensive and she shouldn't say it any more.

Nothing wrong with being considerate with your language, it's called good manners.

I have no religious feelings one way or the other so 'first name' isn't personally offensive, nor is 'Christian name' as I was born here and understand the history.

But I can see that some people would much prefer the terms forename or first name. What's to get upset over with that ? They're both inclusive and neutral and don't deny anyone's religion or background. I can't believe Christians are so frail that dropping this term endangers their beliefs or indeed our culture as a whole. I'm proud of our country for generally being open to new ways of thinking. *shrugs*

Hi, I'd like to know how much of our culture your willing to lose? Are these things not the start of loosing far more? I'm proud of GB to and being Scottish more so.

Hi, I'd like to know how much of our culture your willing to lose? Are these things not the start of loosing far more? I'm proud of GB to and being Scottish more so.

so if someone insisted on calling you English you would not correct them?

I think that Julia asks for 'Christian names' in quite a pointed way - as if she's sticking to her guns as a point of principle, and this is what irritates me about it. If she's been asked not to use the term to ensure she's being inclusive then she should acquiesce - after all she's learnt the importance of not using the word 'cheap' on air - she's managed to learn to replace with 'inexpensive', etc!

I am not a Julia fan but if she is making a point good for her. I wonder if it's still ok to call my spuds 'Red Skins' or do you PC lot think the American Indians may be offended. If they are well hard luck and I still sing Baa Baa Black Sheep to my Gr GrndDT as I did to all my children.

Didn't pick up on it at all until I read this thread - which probably demonstrates how much it bothers me. ;)

I doubt if Julia is aiming to be provocative. I've noticed that she is rather old-fashioned in some of her ways - such as her gender stereotyping when it comes to use of skincare. :p

I've always thought 'christian' name referred to the name you were christened with. :confused: Surely everyone is 'christened' with a name at birth, whether you are Jewish, Muslim or Martian. To me, 'Christened' is simply a word that denotes the act of giving a name.

so if someone insisted on calling you English you would not correct them?

Hi Burly, yes i'd correct them, i was born scottish. Other religions & cultures hold dear to them what they believe, so why cant we? Things are being eroded bit by bit and are people just expected to roll over and give in? Also Burly, were you Christened, Jellytot makes a very good point.

Hi Burly, yes i'd correct them, i was born scottish. Other religions & cultures hold dear to them what they believe, so why cant we? Things are being eroded bit by bit and are people just expected to roll over and give in? Also Burly, were you Christened, Jellytot makes a very good point.

I am Scottish and if someone called me English I would correct them too. While I am British I am not English.

I agree with BurlyBear.

I have always been a bit disappointed, saddened and left out, that Julia calls out for 'Christian' names, seeing as I'm not Christian myself.

It has made me feel that I am inferior on a number of occasion.

Do you feel the same when people wish you 'Merry Christmas' then? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back