Kipling fans- what's the best bag?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl

Registered Shopper
I love kipling but only have a couple. I like to use one or two rather than collect loads. I have bought, used and sold on ebay, often getting around 3/4 of my money back.

I sold a black large fairfax on ebay a while back and regretted it, so have just got one for the summer in warm grey for a good price on Amazon. I am also a fan of the defea design. I like them to have a key fob and a zip pocket on the rear of the bag. I like the bag to go cross body as well as on the shoulder. The more pockets the better. I will also get a Reth when I see a bargain.

So- my all time favourite Kipling bags are:
Defea
Fairfax (large)
Reth
(for all of those reasons)
I am interested in what other kipling fans think are their top 3, and why.

I only have one which I use on holiday but I can understand the appeal as if you get a style which suits they come in loads of colours and the patterned ones look lovely. From what I have seem it would be hard to wear them out as seem very hard wearing material.

Are their leather bags good quality? If they are I could be tempted at the right price.

oh forgot - have that drawstring back thing which was Tsv from Antwerp but the straps are too thin and cut the arms off you which is a pity.

The leather bags are lovely but don't have the key fob (probably because the weight of keys may tear the nice cotton lining- which the nylon ones don't have). My favourite defea is a leather one. I think the fairfax would also be great in a leather version.

Seriously I am interested in WHY people like the specific designs as it will be good info for any future kipling purchases I may make. Having returned a few kiplings to QVC there are some terrible ones so I want to know what all the good ones are.

I used to love the Jacqueline best, but I've gone off it a bit. I have quite a number of different styles, but my favourite are the Fairfax & the Gracey, with the Garan and the Jacqueline tied for third.

I have the large Fairfax, which isn't particularly large, but I get fed up with all the different zips and they do not move that easily. I like them to keep their shape and not collapse when there is not a lot in them. would love a large leather Kipling if I could afford it.

Candy, without a shadow of a doubt. The pockets are just right, it holds a lot for a small bag, and it converts to a backpack.

The leather bags are lovely but don't have the key fob (probably because the weight of keys may tear the nice cotton lining- which the nylon ones don't have). My favourite defea is a leather one. I think the fairfax would also be great in a leather version.

Seriously I am interested in WHY people like the specific designs as it will be good info for any future kipling purchases I may make. Having returned a few kiplings to QVC there are some terrible ones so I want to know what all the good ones are.

I have had quite a few Kipling bags over the years. Re: the leather ones not having a key fob... I have a small leather one although cannot think of its name and it does have a key fob, they also have suede lining. In only use this one though if I go out for the evening as can only fit in purse, phone and poss small brolly but it does look nice. I used to have a silver Eden leather one which although was nice, I sold on ebay as it was hard to open being as it scooped, that had NO key fob.
My 3 top bags would have to be:
1. Fairfax - lots of organisationable pockets and versatile straps, plus key fob
2. Morrisey - nice and roomy, but no key fob but good outer kangaroo pocket
3. Teddy - use this one for my holidays and it holds camera, money, phone, keys etc.

I've bought quite a few over the years and learnt that the style I use the most are across-body styles, not too big & can't be doing with flaps or grab handles though (unfortunately only learnt through trial & error). My favourite style in their current range is the Alvar. I have a dark pink one, burgundy one with the Kipling print & I'm awaiting delivery of one in the turquoise line print that I ordered from Kipling with 40% off.

My all-time favourite style was the Nemo which I have in Sea Fog and has been used every winter for years. Unfortunately the strap is fraying slightly now so was replaced by the burgundy Alvar this winter.

I always coveted a leather Sophie in silver but knew I would rarely use it so never bought it.

Purses are a different matter, my all-time favourite style is the Futurist. Not too big, slots for 8 cards and velcro fastening not a popper which I find can sometimes not work after a while or pop open if purse is too full. Unfortunately I think they may be discontinuing the style as it is no longer on the Kipling website. I have about 6 in various colours and awaiting delivery on another 2 so that should last me for the rest of my life! :clapping:

Because there are so many different styles people all have their favourites for different reasons.

Really good to hear the responses so far. I had a Candy- or rather a new candy- don't think it had a key fob but was otherwise a great design.

Purse wise I have a leather Yelina Large purse. It is far and away the best purse I have ever used.

I have two large Fairfaxes, one in purple and one in the teal spotty QVC print, and two small ones, a black Vintage and a sheeny pink one. I love it because it holds more than you'd expect, is quite compact and 'squat' and works well cross body as well as over my arm. I also like having all those different compartments.

The Jacqueline is nice and big, with a very wide base, which I really like. I have the purple with black handles from ebay and a sunset orange one for a summer beach bag. I'd love one in mink grey and keep on checking ebay for it.

The Gracey is just a really good size - I like the cute satchel style, the front pockets (zip for my keys and work pass, underneath the pocket for my small digital camera) and the main compartment is a good size that will fit purse, keys, water, umbrella and a paperback/Kindle/magazine). I have it in cafe latte and peony.

The Garan I bought in monkey mania and true blue. I like messenger style bags so this works for me, it has less compartments/pockets than I normally like but the big zip compartment is great and I like the shape.

I love the look of the Crystal on the qvc page, again, it looks compact and a bit squat with various compartments - I have a few of the squarer, slimmer cross-body styles and they're ok for occasional use but would never be an everyday bag for me.

I love my Alvar in Black, which I got having admired a colleague who had one. (which she bought from QVC Germany). Had it for about 2 years, and loved it. It has two external pockets, and I use one for tickets, and another for painkillers. I have attached a hook (closed one) from Maplin or Claas Olsen on the strap, and attach my car keys to this when out and about.

Love the two sections (purse and phone in one, papers in another), the phone pocket, pen pckets, etc. Takes no space, and no weight either. Did my coloured ones, but realise that I am really just a black Alvar girl...

I bought a shiny Alvar last year, and it lasted less than three months of use - the 'shiny' cracked off, so I washed my old (non-shiny) one and it is back in service

The Kos M cannot be beaten for an on board cabin bag, its roomy, light and plenty of pockets. Sadly the design is either defunct or hard to get now.

The best cross body bag I possess is such an old design that there is no name tag anywhere in the bag, so cant tell you whats its called. I bought it off Ebay, its a north to south design so is deep but not overly large, it has 2 large zipped compartments, a velcro closed compartment, and 2 small zipped pockets on the front. Its in lime green - so that shows how old it is. The monkey is called Fumiko if someone has the same bag and can help. Again this design is no longer available, but oh how I wish Kipling would become more inventive again and come up with some "different" designs rather than the same old same old.

I would struggle to pick the my first 2 as first or second but here goes!

!) Amberley - I like big bags - this is a big chuck it all in bag that doesn't look overly massive and fits on my shoulder perfectly.Very *neat* looking back too.Love the zip front to put my mobile in.I believe it was a TSV once upon a time but I didn't buy it then.I obviously was going through my cross body phase!

2) Ginowan - another big chuck it all in bag - but bigger than my amberley.Love the everything goes in and again a zipped pocket on the front of my mobile and nice comfy shoulder straps.

3) I'm gonna struggle with this.I like my adley,as its really a defea but I couldn't get my defea on my shoulder.I liked the recent TSV Latona but sent it back as predominatley I didn't like the colour - and it was basically an adley - but I would buy it again,if the colour took me.I used my Rose for a long long time for work - get loads and loads of stuff in that including my lunchbox.

I have a reth and defea which I find a bit boxy.I have a cassandra which is perfect for holidays.I've recently bought the Maciedo which is very small but I just love it!!! I have a breezer which I find bulky and uncomfortable across the body.I quite like my rebekah - good shoulder straps - proper nice 3 compartments,with no Velcro,and no silly dividing middle - as soon as I know a kipling has got that,I won't buy it!!!!.I'd buy that one again.I have a cobia which is about the only cross body I like.I have an enora which I liked the time but on reflection is not really me - the straps aren't long enough to go on my shoulders - I rarely use it.I have an eldorado which is ok,for keys and money.I have the breast cancer alvar,which is very small - I like big bags!! Laryn - good for holidays

And I've sold many more on ebay!!!!!! including fairfax that I could never get all my stuff in...arkan,morrisey,teddy,machida,jeel

Last edited:
Actually I also sold a balloon bag which I regret.I bought it on OTO in lime years and years ago,and I would buy that style again should I ever come across it.My first ever kipling was a candy,long before they ever came to QVC.I sold that on ebay too - and bought another one recently and I was quite shocked how I ever used it - it seemed so small.

I regret selling lots of my early kipling stuff - I had a beach bag with turquiose fish on, a tote bag with a fruit face,a round bag that was decorated like a slice of kiwi....they used to be such fun

I had an elodie which I hated...was that a QVC special??? I have one from the vintage range I like but I've never had a city or gorilla girlz collection,nor leather.I hate leather bags.I regret selling my velvet ones.I do have a patent type esme,QVC went through a phase of shinyy patent like bags,just after their *linen* stage.

The Kos M cannot be beaten for an on board cabin bag, its roomy, light and plenty of pockets. Sadly the design is either defunct or hard to get now.

The best cross body bag I possess is such an old design that there is no name tag anywhere in the bag, so cant tell you whats its called. I bought it off Ebay, its a north to south design so is deep but not overly large, it has 2 large zipped compartments, a velcro closed compartment, and 2 small zipped pockets on the front. Its in lime green - so that shows how old it is. The monkey is called Fumiko if someone has the same bag and can help. Again this design is no longer available, but oh how I wish Kipling would become more inventive again and come up with some "different" designs rather than the same old same old.

Sounds like a Nemo, is there a zipped compartment, on the front of the main body just above the two pockets?

Found a picture, is this it?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
I have a mild addiction to Kiplings which is growing. I have 25 bags at the moment with 3 more due to arrive. I have only 3 large bags which I use when I go to my diploma course twice a week. I prefer smaller shoulder/cross body bags and most of my bags are this.

I love the browner/breezer combination and use this for winter as an every day bag in the black feather print, but I think my favourite must be the cassandra as I have 5 of these. I like a smooth look on the outside of the bag, i.e. not too many gussetted pockets.

I don't like carrying the kitchen sink with me, so I only take, phone, car keys, brownie purse, car papers, glasses, small notebook and pencil and fold up kipling shopper. The cassandra holds this easily and still has room for more.

It's interesting to read all your posts. I think I may look out for a Jaqueline, but if it does not have a key fob I may not.

My main reason for buying Kipling is to take away on holiday because of their light weight.I recently took a 'Liddie' small cross body 2 zip pockets + front pocket without fastening.It was ideal held my glasses, purse, camera, tissues, bits of makup etc.Another favorite 'Eldorado' holds passport, money, glasses etc. & goes under my coat when only 1 piece of hand baggage is allowed.My first K was the 'Morrisay' still love it although they don't do it anymore-- for it's size holds loads & easy to carry over the shoulder because of it's shape.
Am seeing more & more Kiplings when out & about & have had a few conversations about them, ( partner walks off rolling eyes!)

Latest posts

Back