liz earle perfume bombed

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Over the years quite a number of perfumes have been withdrawn and then released with a slightly different ingredients. This was due to the old may cause cancer if you sit out in the sun. But lets be real, how many spray on and go sunbathe???????? Of course the older fragrances say those from the 1960s and before could cause skin discolouration(sp), brown patches on the neck etc. As someone who avoids the sun like the plague, never happened to me. Most essential oils should not be applied neat to the skin anyway. Tea Tree and Lavender are the few that can be.

Oh and Liz does have parabens in her skincare, even has an explanation on her site about them.

Many thanks for the info Donna! My concern was that, what with the 'old granny' comments being made, perhaps the 1960s-type fragrance style (with the attendant skin discolouration etc issues) were perhaps coming back in with the likes of LE, and history was perhaps being forgotten. I know about essential oils not being safe to apply neat in many cases, but was concerned that even diluted in these EDPs there was a possible sensitisation issue raising it's head again. Like you, I tend to avoid the sun like the plague, at least during the summer peak of 11am-3pm!! Tend to wear a sun hat myself!! (And, personally, tend to put scent only onto skin not exposed to the light eg a spray on my chest and shoulders, which are always covered with a t-shirt and blouse on top of that!)

Yeah, I know Liz does the parabens and she does, give her her due, fess-up and defend herself on the issue, which is admirable of her. I wish she's take them out though!

I had no idea about these! Thanks.

I tend to avoid the sun like the plague, at least during the summer peak of 11am-3pm!! Tend to wear a sun hat myself!! (And, personally, tend to put scent only onto skin not exposed to the light eg a spray on my chest and shoulders, which are always covered with a t-shirt and blouse on top of that!)

Are you sure you are not Alison Young really? :)

No. But I did get fried when I was young and find sun bathing very boring.
My idea of holiday hell, is a sunny beach or pool area.

Me too donna. I've never understood the 'fun' of lying on a beach with a squillion other people for hours on end just to get a suntan. I'm the sort who sits under the tree when the sun's really hot.

Anyway, perfume is all about individuality & what suits, I hate the fashion aspect of it personally! (My sister, a strange little pixie like creature, still stuck in the late 70s/early 80s still wafts along through life smelling of Anais Anais I believe & couldn't give a stuff what anybody else thinks! lol) :flower:

Good for her KWC! I love Anais Anais and couldn't give a monkey's what anyone else thinks either. It's lovely.:clapping:

I had no idea about these! Thanks.

If you're into essential oils, I'd recommend getting a good reference book on them: you can find out information on the various benefits of different oils, but can also be kept right on how to safely use them (eg how dilute them properly in a base/carrier oil, or how many drops to put in a bath, oils to avoid during early/throughout pregnancy, toxic oils, oils that can be photosensitising). Overall, essential oils are actually very powerful and have real effects, so it's good to get some knowledge on them. :happy:

If you're into essential oils, I'd recommend getting a good reference book on them: you can find out information on the various benefits of different oils, but can also be kept right on how to safely use them (eg how dilute them properly in a base/carrier oil, or how many drops to put in a bath, oils to avoid during early/throughout pregnancy, toxic oils, oils that can be photosensitising). Overall, essential oils are actually very powerful and have real effects, so it's good to get some knowledge on them. :happy:

Aww, thank you, mariecat! I love essential oils and, like you, I shy away from the sun. I'd better start my research! :)

This is one for Donna (our resident smellies expert), i think.:sun:
What 'family' does Instant Boost fall into?
There *must* be a perfume which smells like it....somewhere... :sun:

This is one for Donna (our resident smellies expert), i think.:sun:
What 'family' does Instant Boost fall into?
There *must* be a perfume which smells like it....somewhere... :sun:

It would be a fresh floral.

But, because all fragrance really needs a top,middle and bottom in its journey also alcohol to set all the other ingredients. You will not get a exact match 100%, there will be a slight difference. Instant Boost just has a linear smell.

You will need to avoid all the celebs fragrances. Start looking in classic, niche or perhaps even better natural oil based fragrances, again these perfrume are niche as a individual will blend a fragrance to what they want. But all these will have a heavier smell than Instant Boost because of the fixtives needed to hold it all together.

It like rose fragrances trying to find a fragrance that smell like sniffing a fresh garden Tea rose. I will bet you never have found one like that.
There are only two which for me meet that one 100%.

Creed Private Collection Fleur de The Rose Bulgare, even that is not straight up rose but has other notes in with it.

Serge Lutens Sa Majestic la Rose, again has other notes to give that dew fresh dripping fresh rose smell.

Totally unrelated to LE but Donna I used to lurve MaryQuants Havoc in the 70'S is there anything remotely like this....thank you Looby x:sun:

This can effect the perfume, but do not expect it to suddenly smell totally different.

Example:

Shalimar quite sometime back changed bottles, from the one with ridges to a smooth same shape bottle. Many Shalimar lovers on the perfume boards started talking about the fragrance was not the same. Yes it dried down to what Shalimar should be but the top notes seemed different. Now only people who used Shalimar would really notice the difference. The Guerlain sa kept insisting nothing had been done to Shalimar they had not changed the ingredients. But still on the perfume boards the talk continued, Shalimar was different.

So one evening I went to a talk on the history of Guerlain given by Roja Dove, was the Professor of Parfum for Guerlain. Lovely talk all history and lovely stories. So I managed to corner him after the talk and asked about Shalimar and what was going on. At this period Guerlain had no family members left owning the company which had been sold to LVMH(the anti christ of the perfume world). Roja told me no Shalimar had not been tweaked(a term perfume boards use to say a perfume has been changed). But what had happened was, LVMH no longer bought their bergamot from Italy where the finest bergamot comes from. Also they no longer used sandalwood from Mysore, again the best sandalwood comes from there. They bought from elswhere as it was cheaper. So that was why Shalimar did not smell the same. Yes the ingredients where the same but the quality was not there. Roja left Guerlain not long after that.
Chanel own their own fields of jasmine in France to guarantee the quality of No5 etc.
Thank you so much for clearing that up for me , I have only worn Shalimar since I was 16 and I thought that it was my ability to smel the perfume that has changed , Its good to know that it wasnt , Its a shame that they have gone down the road of cheaper ingreadients as it just isnt quite right , Im on the look out for a new scent , any sugestions ? . You are so knowlegable about perfumes thank you

Brenny,

There is a brand called Carthusia which do a fragrance called Ligea "La Sirena", it actually smells like what Shalimar used to smell like. But test before you buy, the do it in edt or edp.

Another strange thing is Shalimar Light smells more like Shalimar than the current normal version.

Shalimar is an Amber Oriental, others in this family are:

Moschina(look for this name on its own as they do loads of others).

Obession

Must de Cartier.

Brenny,

There is a brand called Carthusia which do a fragrance called Ligea "La Sirena", it actually smells like what Shalimar used to smell like. But test before you buy, the do it in edt or edp.

Another strange thing is Shalimar Light smells more like Shalimar than the current normal version.

Shalimar is an Amber Oriental, others in this family are:

Moschina(look for this name on its own as they do loads of others).

Obession

Must de Cartier.

Thank you Donna , Thats so kind of you .I really thought it was me who got it wrong about the "new Shalimar smell".
Im off to research the sugestions thank you once again. Bx

Brenny,

Donna
How strange you mention Carthusia. A perfume I have been wearing since 1974. I lived next door to the 'parfumeria' in Turin that was supposed to have found the old recipe that was originally made by the Carthusian monks on the isle of Capri. I believe it is made in Capri today. They make about 5-6 perfumes and I love them all, very different and always guaranteed to get compliments.

Thanks Donna for your help regarding my Instant Boost query.
You're like an encyclopedia of all things perfume-related - amazing!:happy:

Brenny,

Donna
How strange you mention Carthusia. A perfume I have been wearing since 1974. I lived next door to the 'parfumeria' in Turin that was supposed to have found the old recipe that was originally made by the Carthusian monks on the isle of Capri. I believe it is made in Capri today. They make about 5-6 perfumes and I love them all, very different and always guaranteed to get compliments.

WOW!!!!!!!!

I was going to say about the monks and Carpi! LOL But thought no stop rambling woman.:thinking2:

OK have you ever sniffed Shalimar? Do you think Ligea is like it?

Calico, I have books you know.:tongue2:

Overall . .5 out of 5 ......Laure .Location: Berkshire.Posted: November 09, 2009 .Age: 55-64.How long have you been shopping with QVC? 2-5 years.Would you recommend this product as a gift? Yes.Who would this be a perfect gift for? Me!..Read all my reviews ...Beautiful fragrance."I love this fragrance. Can't believe that some of the reviews here are for the same product. Overpowering? Absolutely not - unless you use too much. This isn't an eau de cologne and should be used sparingly..
It has a long-lasting, developing frangrace. I put it on this morning at 7.00am and it still smells beautiful at 10.30pm..
I will definitely ....Just in on the qvc reviews a bit odd ready fr the mini series and also that this person has not written any other reviews.. me a cynic....:cheeky:

Latest posts

Back