liz earle perfume bombed

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

boffy

Registered Shopper
oh dear what a faux pas we have here. it seems that i was a little right when i said that liz earle new edp smells like christalle or diorella. i am quite shocked at this. has anyone smelt it and have any views on this phenomena.
something that took many years in the making now has become liz earles unique scent.
to be fair i dont think that i will be able to view her in the same light again...

i went to john lewis at the weekend and could not wait to smell it. i was quite shocked when the lovely sales girl sprayed it on. immediately it bought back my fav fragrances of my youth. a dead ringer for diorella and christalle. i immediately told her and she said it was not but not very convincinly.

i am very shocked that liz earle would have bought out this fragance because it is a bit of a niche one..i would not have thought that many of her customers would go for it and secondly its far too famous a scent for anyone to claim as their own. odd really!
got really poor reviews as i dont think its a good or obvious choice. in fact its a terrible choice. but a fantastic scent that will always be in the perfume hall of fame for people who enjoy complex and artistic scents.

Some pretty scathing reviews on qvc too,mainly the consensus is that it smells of old lady............an old lady perfume that is...not cats and wee!!

Wow! i've never read so many bad reviews for a Liz Earle product EVER! and never have I seen so many references to grandma,old woman,auntie's and nans.
I'm really curious now,can't wait to have a smell of this elixir,lol..i've not ordered it,am waiting til they do samples or when I can pop into a shop.If only she'd just done a parfum verison of the hip and thigh gel she'd be on to a winner I reckon.

I'll stick to my various Jo Malones.

i was very diassapointed with it i tried it in JL the other day. Has to be one of her only products that i don't like.

I am wondering how many have been returned to LE? As I said I saw 5 for sale on ebay just after is was launched. All the comments the same, sprayed only once or twice not for me.

LE may be making money hand over fist with her skincare, but this was sheer stupidity. She did not send out samples or peel and sniff cards, my theory rushing it out to get the christmas build up. And now it has come back and bit her on the ar*e. I said on the other thread concerning the fragrance, you need to try and wear a fragrance for at least a few hours before you can say whether it is for you.

LE employed a proper french nose, but he followed her brief what she wanted. That is what they are there for, to create what the customer wants. Fragrance is such a personal thing and does evoke strong memories. But what is one person's heaven is another persons scrubber.

The, oh it smells different on everyone. Yes every fragrances will smell slightly different on each person. Your skin chemistry plays a very big part, diet as well believe it or not. People with dry skin eat fragrance and it disappears very quickly. That is a common comment, oh that only lasts an hour on me and disappears.

LE wanted a fragrance in the classic French style, but to be honest people now are very different. They are used to the generic sweet celebs crap or the not really a perfume style of Philosophy. The person who loves the classic french style is the person who will hunt down a vintage bottle of Chanel No22 because they love that one. Or go to the boutique and buy direct from Dior, Guerlain, Givenchy,YSL etc. They can tell by smell if the company have changed a note and go on the perfume boards and rage about the death of a classic.

LE has missed her target and misread her customer base big time with this.

Oh I have never smelt it by the way. But going by descriptions its not me I know.

Last edited:
Why didn't LE just bottle the Skin tonic into perfume bottles? Surely more a winner than her fragrance appears to be.

I might have to try this. I absolutely looooooove Diorella but it's hard to find. One (young!) girly on a Dior counter said she had never heard of it!!!!!!! BTW I'm 43 - does that make me an 'old lady'????!

This is a timely discussion as I'm just about to place a LE order and thought I'd check out the reviews. I was going to request a sample anyway (don't know whether LE website does any?) rather than buy and regret, and boy, I think I would have done. :sad:

I imagined it was going to be similar to her other products, which I love, but I don't go for the really heavy perfumes.

I'm not knowledgeable about perfumes so found Donna's post interesting. I'm happy with Amazing Grace / Light Blue for every day. I also have Bouquet (Vera Wang) for evenings, which, to me, seems a bit like a stronger Amazing G, so I think I'll stick to those. Not familiar with Diorella (shows my ignorance).

Wonder if QVC will mention the reviews at the next airing :thinking2:

Don't worry Mermaid, you're definitely not old - think more "sophisticated" :flower:

I wasn't impressed by this one either. Tried it in JL the other night. At first I got a very strong lemony smell. The SA asked if I liked it and I said I wasn't sure but had read that the fragrance did change once it had settled down. She agreed that this was so and suggested I leave it for 15 mins and then smell again. Within probably 5 mins the smell had all but evaporated leaving me with a very faint (almost undetectable) hint of musk. Very disappointing.

I have to say I was a bit surprised by it. Yes, Diorella which I'm not so keen on but I know what you mean about a 'real' perfume Donna (great post BTW..). It has a depth to it which the modern, light fragrances lack and I find I only need a little. I'm persevering with it as it's very different to what I normally use and I may get used to it. I think it's described as an 'old ladies' fragrance unfairly too, it's just different to the 'point and shoot' sickly celeb fragrances that have to be sprayed so liberally. :spider:

One point about it being a copycat, at least it's not tested on animals which the big French fashion houses are still guilty of so you can wear it guilt free. I love the little 'wardrobe' it comes in too. :D

I love LE - well her basic products anyway.I quite wanted to try this but was no way I'm gonna pay qvc's postage both ways just to try it - I don't know how you can really sell perfume/candles through the tv,personally.

I've not got to JL yet - but to be honest I like really strong perfumes,and in my head,I thought this would be all "floaty" and flowers - I wasn't going to buy it with that description - I'm DEFINITELY not buying it now its been described of wee and old grannies!!!!! Even if I didn't think that,you can bet your life the person standing next to you will!!!!!

Last edited:
Wow! i've never read so many bad reviews for a Liz Earle product EVER! and never have I seen so many references to grandma,old woman,auntie's and nans.
I'm really curious now,can't wait to have a smell of this elixir,lol..i've not ordered it,am waiting til they do samples or when I can pop into a shop.If only she'd just done a parfum verison of the hip and thigh gel she'd be on to a winner I reckon.

I'll stick to my various Jo Malones.

I thought I'd love it. I don't.

Jo Malone for me, too.

Interesting thread, I don't think t v is the right medium to sell scent\perfume. You really need to test it by wearing it for several hours. I was suprised that they did not send out samples to regular customers. Perfume is such a personal thing, what smellls divine on one person can be the reverse on another due to body chemistry, skin texture and diet. Personally I would never buy perfume without testing it, several times if possible. Very keen on Prada Iris one at the moment, lovely JL sales assistant did me a great package of freebies when I bought it too, certainly wouldn't get that from QVC. Oh and I went and had a cappachino in the cafe!

Last edited:
I also read the reviews about Liz's new perfume & was shocked with just how many were sending it back to qvc..
Am so surprised that, even though Liz took so long in creating her 1st perfume, how on earth did she get it so spectacularly wrong? Imagine all the many testings this perfume would have had, did no one have the same reactions that a lot of the customers did? (having a headache & actually feeling sick)
Just goes to show, you can have the best people in the business working on your product, but for whatever reasons best known to Liz, you can still balls it up :thinking2:

i just went off to read the reviews. Blimey, so many are on their way back. I know i didn't like it and some others here didn't either, but i was really suprised to read so many negative reviews.
I'm sure Liz will be quite surprised as this must be one of the only products that has the word disappointed in some many of the reviews.

Latest posts

Back