Make it up as you go along!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
In the Rieker show, in her attempt to sell us on QVC's "try before you buy" (non) policy, Marv has invented this scenario : she walked out of a shop, with her purchase, and looked at her receipt - as one does. Shock! Horror! The customer has 14 days in which to return said item. I don't think too many of us will be surprised to know this. Having said this, it depends on the store.

At which point, the purchaser on the pavement with receipt thinks "I can go home and try them on in comfort. And if I don't like them, I can bring them back to the shop, no two times p&p"

I thought that shops did 28 days and at some point M&S did a few months returns which I have used.

the better ones do but they dont have to. its just an extra that some shops do to keep thier customers. i always ask because it varies from shop to shop. they can choose to offer a credit note say if an item is not faulty. i think marks dont do the very long one they had years ago. they stopped that

the better ones do but they dont have to. its just an extra that some shops do to keep thier customers. i always ask because it varies from shop to shop. they can choose to offer a credit note say if an item is not faulty. i think marks dont do the very long one they had years ago. they stopped that

For anyone who wants to know the current M&S policy, it is 35 days to return. I have recently ordered several pairs of trousers to go just over the £50 limit for free postage. I am happy to be able to return one or all of the pairs post free, after trying them on and having a month to decide. I was struck by how much better this is than Q, where I gave up shopping when I got absolutely fed up of paying about £10 to try and return things.

About making it up as you go along.... the woman selling a Judith Williams face pack has said "it's like plugging a phone charger into your skin and bringing it back to life".

I shall go and plug myself into the mains right now and see if I look younger, or dead.

About making it up as you go along.... the woman selling a Judith Williams face pack has said "it's like plugging a phone charger into your skin and bringing it back to life".

I shall go and plug myself into the mains right now and see if I look younger, or dead.

Noooo! Don't! You'll light up like a pair of Antthony polyester slacks.

I think the shopping channels are going through a particularly 'low' patch at the moment regarding the patter; they are obviously all hunting around for something new to say, perhaps it's because the summer's over and they have to come up with a whole new set of waffle for autumn and winter (can't say "this will look lovely with your maxi dresses", although Claire Sutton managed it the other day!). I've come to the conclusion I can't stick anything with Marv in for longer than about 30 seconds at a time - I made another attempt about a week ago, when she was on with the jewellery cleaning man and she irritated me so much she made my teeth ache. And I'm amazed that Marv shops anywhere but Q!!

Claire Sutton, on with the Uggs the other day: wear them with your summer dresses, ("on trend with your summer dresses", was the throwaway comment, I think).

In the Rieker show, in her attempt to sell us on QVC's "try before you buy" (non) policy, Marv has invented this scenario : she walked out of a shop, with her purchase, and looked at her receipt - as one does. Shock! Horror! The customer has 14 days in which to return said item. I don't think too many of us will be surprised to know this. Having said this, it depends on the store.

Last edited:
Reminds me of that scene in the film "Carry On Screaming" where they plug Kenneth Williams' into the mains to "rejuvenate" him!! Perhaps Q should re-create the scene when plugging (no pun intended!) their miracle face packs?

QUOTE=shopperholic;820132]Noooo! Don't! You'll light up like a pair of Antthony polyester slacks.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of that scene in the film "Carry On Screaming" where they plug Kenneth Williams' into the mains to "rejuvenate" him!! Perhaps Q should re-create the scene when plugging (no pun intended!) their miracle face packs?

QUOTE=shopperholic;820132]Noooo! Don't! You'll light up like a pair of Antthony polyester slacks.
[/QUOTE]

That's my all time favourite Carry On :mysmilie_14: They could even have Simon Brown there with his Cooks Esentials shaking his dumplings (ooh er missus) shouting frying tonight!! :mysmilie_17:

Many years ago I was waiting in the returns queue at M & S, and there was an elderly man ahead who brought out a pair of shoes from his shopping bag.

I didn't take much notice at first, but after realising that it seemed to be taking forever for the staff to deal with him, started to listen in. He didn't have a receipt and they could not, at first, find any reference to the shoes on the computer. Eventually they did - how, I have no idea - but it turns out he had bought the shoes 12 years earlier, and they had now fallen apart. Their conversations did go on for quite a while, but good ole M & S returned the amount in full! Now that is what I call a money back guarantee. Sadly, I don't think that would happen now.

One of my favs. too! It's a close call between that one and "Carry On Up the Khyber" - think I'm right in saying that's the one with the scene where they are all sitting down at a formal dinner party while the place is being shelled by the enemy, and everything is collapsing around them. Still makes me laugh so much, even after all these years of seeing it.

That's my all time favourite Carry On :mysmilie_14: They could even have Simon Brown there with his Cooks Esentials shaking his dumplings (ooh er missus) shouting frying tonight!! :mysmilie_17:[/QUOTE]

One of my favs. too! It's a close call between that one and "Carry On Up the Khyber" - think I'm right in saying that's the one with the scene where they are all sitting down at a formal dinner party while the place is being shelled by the enemy, and everything is collapsing around them. Still makes me laugh so much, even after all these years of seeing it.

My joint favourite is "Carry On Don't Lose Your Head". with Rodney Effing..........two effs. :mysmilie_15:

The "Black Fingernail"! Oh yes, that's another goody.:giggle:

My joint favourite is "Carry On Don't Lose Your Head". with Rodney Effing..........two effs. :mysmilie_15:

D'you know, I'm always saying that, think I'm turning into my Mum, when she went on about the "good old days". Now I catch myself saying 'they don't make them like that' almost every time I watch a golden oldie TV repeat.
Me too :mysmilie_17: :mysmilie_3:

Latest posts

Back