Make up question

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Lucy-loo

Registered Shopper
I have never been tempted by the make up programmes before, but before Christmas and I dont know why, I ended up ordering the Laura Geller TSV and then some Mally for my Daughter in law, and have to admit I was pleasantly suprised by how lovely everything is, having only ever bought hight street products before, and Avon, I would like to treat myself to something nicer.

I dont wear foundation much, but I do like eye make up, I am totally confused as what is the good and whats not because now Ive just seen some other make up on qvc Bare minerals I think it was, what does every one recommend, I did quite like the Mally set I bought

I have never been tempted by the make up programmes before, but before Christmas and I dont know why, I ended up ordering the Laura Geller TSV and then some Mally for my Daughter in law, and have to admit I was pleasantly suprised by how lovely everything is, having only ever bought hight street products before, and Avon, I would like to treat myself to something nicer.

I dont wear foundation much, but I do like eye make up, I am totally confused as what is the good and whats not because now Ive just seen some other make up on qvc Bare minerals I think it was, what does every one recommend, I did quite like the Mally set I bought

I also only bother with eye makeup , I have been using a small compact from boots that was part of a day & night cream gift set , its not particularly spectacular colour wise , but it seems to glide on my old eyes & isnt to bad on longevity .. I have not used any of the premium make ups so would be interested to see what others recommended like you

That's a difficult one because what works for me might not work for you. You might not like the same coverage, feel or texture as me.

I don't wear a great deal of makeup and I like quick and easy but I do like to wear some foundation. I find Laura Geller really quick and easy as a foundation but I prefer the finish of Bare Escentuals. Both are powder so I go for a powder blusher to go on top. I have both LG and BE and both are good.

I always wear mascara and I'm back on my favourite YSL False Lash Effect. I love it but I also love Max Factor. I rarely wear eyeshadow. I definitely prefer a powder eyeliner that you wet to make a liquid liner. And I use a fine artists brush to apply it. I'm currently using Spiced Fig by BE.

I don't use any pressed powder or translucent powder.

I've got it down to about five minutes flat.

Oh and lip gloss. Love it!! Clarins is my favourite but I'll try any lipgloss that isn't too gloopy. There will be others along in a bit with far better advice. But try a few things, see what you like. Get decent brushes and blend, blend, blend!

The good thing about Bare Esc is that it's very forgiving colour wise so if you tan a bit or go paler it should accommodate well. It's also good if your skin is prone to break outs or allergies. Only downside I found when using by itself is that it doesn't last as long as Mally's. I use 1 pump of Mally & then Bare Esc foundation powder or their tinted mineral veil on top. Like Tink says, it's what works for you really x.

I typed a response once but managed to lose it Grrrr.

So to follow Tinks example for everyday make up its:
Bare Essentuals Mineral foundation or Laura Gellar Balance & Brighten as light natural looking coverage, quick and easy to apply and comfortable to wear.
Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in 'Fresh Melon' applied with finger tips to cheekbones.
BE Mineral Veil or BB Brightening Finishing Powder as a light dusting of either softens the overall appearance and is very forgiving if I've rushed the Pot Rouge!
Mally eyeshadow sticks and LG I-Care eyeliners, and Mally or BB mascara - whatever is on the go.
BB or BE Moxie lipgloss in a nude shade.
If I'm going out I swap for BB Longwear eyeshadows and eyeliners applied with brushes and a light dusting of BB Shimmer Brick.

All fairly simple.

I use BE foundation in the summer but prefer creamy foundation in the winter and I really like Mally Ultimate Performance foundation in both the compact and the liquid varieties. I like Mally Liquid Face defender blush as I prefer natural looking cream blush. I also like Laura Geller pink grapefruit blush for when I use a powder. I always use a primer underneath liquid foundation as it creates a barrier and the foundation lasts all day. I don't bother with primer when I use Bare Minerals foundation as I find it reacts really well with natural oils in the skin, so it looks dewier and better as the day goes on. I never use powder but am a recent convert to Mally evercolour poreless face defender instead.

For eyes I always use Laura Geller eye spackle first to even out my naturally dark lids. You just can't beat Mally eyeshadow sticks and Mally mascara. Mally eyeliners are very good on me, the packaging is a bit shoddy but the brown ones suit me, are soft to apply and stay on all day. Finally I too am a lip gloss fan rather than lipstick and I really like the Mally liquid lipstick pens. The colours seem bright in the tube but they are very sheer on. Some people don't like them because they say they don't stay on but they last as long as any other lip gloss IMO.

I use BE foundation in the summer but prefer creamy foundation in the winter and I really like Mally Ultimate Performance foundation in both the compact and the liquid varieties. I like Mally Liquid Face defender blush as I prefer natural looking cream blush. I also like Laura Geller pink grapefruit blush for when I use a powder. I always use a primer underneath liquid foundation as it creates a barrier and the foundation lasts all day. I don't bother with primer when I use Bare Minerals foundation as I find it reacts really well with natural oils in the skin, so it looks dewier and better as the day goes on. I never use powder but am a recent convert to Mally evercolour poreless face defender instead.

For eyes I always use Laura Geller eye spackle first to even out my naturally dark lids. You just can't beat Mally eyeshadow sticks and Mally mascara. Mally eyeliners are very good on me, the packaging is a bit shoddy but the brown ones suit me, are soft to apply and stay on all day. Finally I too am a lip gloss fan rather than lipstick and I really like the Mally liquid lipstick pens. The colours seem bright in the tube but they are very sheer on. Some people don't like them because they say they don't stay on but they last as long as any other lip gloss IMO.

Hi, do you find the Mally eye sticks have good staying power ? I find eye shadow and in fact most make up wears off me very quickly, and have noted the Mally ones get mostly good reviews , many thanks

The Mally eyeshadow sticks are very long wearing in fact you have to be persistent to get them off at the end of the day

I absolutely agree- the eyeshadow sticks last all day, and are so easy to use. I was never any good blending powder eyeshadow with brushes. I apply the stick like a pen and blend with my finger.

Another thumbs up for Mally sticks!!

I love Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich foundation, just a tiny drop on a sponge where I need it. No primer, no powder. Mally eye sticks, Mally or George @ Asda eyeliner, Maybelline mascara, Mally eyebrow gel, Smashbox blusher, ultrasun lip and, if I can be bothered, one of many pale/natural lippies. The Mally lip sticks are ace :D Like Tink, 5 mins or less. Sorted!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

LG primer and BnB.
LG blush (whichever of the 8 I have on the go goes with what I am wearing) or Bobby Brown pot rouge.
Urban Decay Naked palette 1 or 2 (both gorgeous and very long-wearing) followed by Bobbie Brown gel liner or Avon glimmerstick liner.
Mascara if it is a special occasion.
LG hi-lighter, and fill out browns with YBF brow pencil / Avon brow pencil.
LG/bodyshop lipstick / kiko chubby lip pencil, topped off with LG fruit beams gloss.
5 - 10 minutes!

Another vote for YBF brow pencil or Smashbox Browtech, and I also forgot Smashbox primer underneath the foundation but to be honest not every day for work.

Ah I use my eyeliner as eyebrow pencil. It's called spiced fig but its basically a very very dark brown with a hung of green. My eyebrows are black but only need the "tails" filling in a bit so my quick solution works OK. I have olive skin too so the hint of green matches my skin lol.

I forgot the brows. I have started using either YBF brow pencil following rave reviews on here. However although it's good I think I prefer Avon brow pencil in Blonde. All in all my make up takes about 10 minutes.

My daughter has been using Mally since Christmas and absolutely loves the Shadow Sticks and Mascara. She has just ordered loads more!

Last edited:
If you want to experiment with makeup without a massive outlay I can highly recommend MUA from Superdrug! Most items are £5 or less, the eyeshadows are £1 (!!) and are truly awesome. They have palettes of colours which are just lovely and if one doesn't work for you you won't feel bad about chucking a £4 product!

Any eyeshadow will look better over a primer, there are tons out there but I like Urban Decay Primer Potion, it makes your shadow come out true to colour and last all day. Half the battle with makeup too is the brushes. I have lots of different brands but my faves are from Real Techniques, Gosh and Sigma. None of these are expensive.

enjoy!

tx

If you've never really got into foundation, then (if you're interested in trying one), I'd recommend a mineral one like Bare Minerals. Can't vouch for the 'ready' version (that looks like normal pressed powder) as it is so new I haven't heard much about it. But for quickness, ease of application, and really feeling like you're not wearing it but looking good, the original one (that looks like loose powder) is good. It comes in a matte version also, which I've not tried. Personally, I like to dab on a bit of liquid foundation just on red areas if I am having a red cheeks day (!) before putting on the mineral powder. Then I don't risk having to build up too much mineral powder just to cover.

Eyes - well, with QVC I would definitely say Mally voluminising mascara. It is really good - the formula in the tube starts to dry up a bit towards the end of its recommended 3 months but you should get loads of use out of it before then. Her eyeliners and eyeshadow sticks are really popular (I have a bit of a quibble with the latter as I find it drags a bit on application but I wouldn't worry because no one else seems to find that). Oh dear, what is wrong with me? The liners again aren't my favourite, I like them but I prefer Revlon or Bourjois that I can keep really sharp to the twist up kind. One eye product of Mallys that I really like came in a set of 3 eyeshadows and 1 eye primer - the primer looks skin colour but it really helps brighten, even out and almost plump the lid so you can wear it on its own. Also helps to show true colours of shadow that goes on after. So if you see a kit with something that sounds like that, maybe worth a try.

I've heard the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliners are good but never tried them. I'm tempted to check out the Maybelline version and see how it goes.

Laura Geller shadows might be worth a try if you'd like to experiment with the wet/dry effects - you can use them wet to get a strong foiled look, then they'll be ok to use dry next time for a softer blendable look.

Mally lip gloss - I like them. They do not stay on the lip for long at all, they fade as fast as your average gloss, but I don't mind reapplying. They do really brighten the face.

I've never found the "perfect" foundation, LG's Balance and Brighten is the closest but I sometimes think it looks too powdery on my 57 year old skin (depending on the light).

I don't need much cover. I've discovered Judith Williams' magic make up which is available in only one shade but miraculously it changes to match my own colour when I apply it. A quick dab of Balance and Brighten on the nose to disguise the thread veins and I'm done.

I bought the magic make up when it was offered as a duo but now it's sold individually for not much less. How can I find out if it will come back as a duo any time soon ?

I'm going to try the Mally shadow sticks now - I can still get away with a soft touch of eyeshadow.

Thanks for this thread, it's very helpful.

Linda xx

If you are liking the Mally eyeshadow sticks, then keep going with those. Laura Mercier(not QVC) does a more expensive version called Caviar Sticks, you can use them as a liner as well. Other brands so cream to powder eyeshadows in little tubes. The colour choice out there is very wide.

Since you are not a foundation wear, go with a tinted moisturiser first. No good spending money on something you find you cannot be bothered with. Get to a counter and get colour matched. QVC are famous for called shades different names than on the bottle. Most counters will make up a sample for you, Bobbie Brown and Laura Mercier do I know. The best tinted moisturiser is Laura Mecier, it is more expensive but you can choose which finish you prefer(they are the only brand I know which do this with TM), also hers gives a bit more coverage than the regular versions out. You can give a quick dust of the Laura Gellar B&B you got in the TSV over if you prefer.

Latest posts

Back