Picking Orders

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Does anyone know how the order picking and packing works at QVC? I'm assuming the orders come through to a central printer and the staff take them from there. But do they just take one or do they take a handful? Or does someone take them off the printer and make sure they're done in order of receipt as far as possible.

I remember them showing how it works a few years ago but can't remember. And it's one of those things that I've started wondering about this last few days.

Can anyone help?

Lucie

That is a good point. My friend and I both ordered a TSV I got mine on Tuesday and she got her's on Saturday!

Are you married to my dad? He was an engineer too. It must be a trait.
I once told him I was going to a party. He asked me where it was. I told him and was then treated to a half hour lecture on the birth of television as apparently John Logie Baird used to live in that particular street.
Bless!

Yep, that's an engineer all right.

I will ask him about the QVC warehouse when he's home at the weekend. He's told me that he's bought me some nice bottles of Pinot Grigio (he also told me how many were in the box and the total cost, the cost per bottle, you can see the problem I have here, LOL!). I live with Dilbert, but unfortunately for him he's married to someone with the same name as the bitter and twisted secretary in the cartoons! I hope that doesn't make our daughter Dogbert.

hmmm the classic "cherry picking" scenario.... exactly the reason why QVC will not rely on humans to deal, apart from the fact that humans are damned expensive!

all orders are sent to the pickers (humans) via computer. These items are picked and put onto a pallet. The pallet goes to the packing area and the barcodes are scanned where the packslips are printed off and put with the item. The items are then packed by hand and sent out. However with a TSV the item is requested from the new highbay warehouse, this is picked by cranes and sent on a conveyor to the packing area. This is then put through an automated machine (by humans), the items go onto a conveyor into cages and the cages are loaded into a wagon (by humans)

hope this helps

I did pluck up the courage to ask DH about the high bays - they are 6 metres high. He also started to mumble something about the narrow aisles :11: so I assume that the warehouse is choc-a-block with items that require shifting with special, narrow-but-high-reaching fork lift trucks.

Thanks Deanos

Maybe for the high stuff they wait for several orders - especially as they're not TSVs.

Also they may ship by destination as birmingham often seems to do well on despatch times and dates compared to others!

Hey it's all coming from the US of A that explains the cost of P&P and how long it can take to arrive here in deepest Cornwall.

I have this theory (and no facts to back it up!) that TSVs are dispatched as a priority, ordinary items are dispatched in chronological order, and Last Clicks things are eventually sent out by Fred the tea boy on a job creation scheme who does the occasional bit of work in between smoking breaks.

And I'll continue to believe my theory unless anyone can prove otherwise!

I have to agree - case in point Nails Inc TSV ordered last Thursday (30th) arrived today, Tova products ordered Tuesday (28th) arrived today. I also think that if you order early in the morning of the TSV it is dispatched more quickly, but that's pretty obvious so Duh me!

This happened last week:

Waiting for my new Kipling bag to arrive. Thought it might come Tuesday when we were out together and I could whisk it away from where the postie had hidden it with hubbie being none the wiser.

But no, it arrived on Wednesday when hubbie came home from work suddenly cos of network problems. Sure enough, postie rang bell with THREE parcels. However, to be fair, two were my Mum's birthday present which came in record time.

The funny thing was that the postie just stared at hubbie when he opened the door because he had never seen him before, ie I always rush to answer the door first. Hubbie thinks he thought he was a burglar!!

Latest posts

Back