Plants

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Breeze

Registered Shopper
Just seen that QVC ( Richard Jackson slot) are selling bedding plants.
For anyone thinking of buying could I just say be careful. Q are selling Unwins Mixed Geraniums at 30 for £19.96+ £4.95 post & packing.
If you go direct to Unwins website they are selling 24 mixed geraniums for £6.95 plus they are on buy one tray, get another free. So you get 48 plants for £6.95.

I would be careful buying any plants to be honest p@p can make many things unviable.

How can QVC unconscionably be such a rip off and keep thinking they can get away with it?!

Don't see the benefit of buying plants via the telly at all, I like to see the health of them before purchase. I spend ages selecting. Different if housebound, but surely local nursery can deliver and without the risk of them being dumped on the doorstep.

QVC's plants have become more and more expensive and with P&P vey costly indeed. I do buy de jager bulbs but often buy direct as I want a few things and if you buy from Q you can end up paying £20 postage and de jager's is only £5.95. I was surprised also at the cost of Thomson & Morgan plants now they've moved to IW. Not competitive at all. There are plant companies that offer good deals on mail order and often postage is free. Shop around.

CC

I have bought the occasional plant from nurseries on ebay with free postage and not had any problems although i prefer to go to my local nurseries i am probably lucky in that respect.

My local nursery tends to sell bedding plants only once they've reached a size ready to plant outside, so round about April. They are quite cheap, in trays of six usually about £1 each tray.
But I've got a big garden to fill & so like to order the trays of 120 plug plants for around £9 that lots of mail order nurseries sell. I'm lucky to have room for a big greenhouse & quite a few cold frames so can repot them & grow them on till danger of frost has passed. I then top up any gaps with plants from the nursery but mainly buy other things there, perennials, shrubs, fruit bushes etc as they sell those much cheaper than any of the mail order firms.

What a rip off .....I can see all the old people who have no transport to get to garden centres being ripped off big time :(

I no longer watch the little garden gnome, the little I have seen he has just about taken over the gardening show pushing his own products. I did buy into his selling spiel years ago. I have never had any result from anything I bought from him, including his not magic lawn food. I have had better results with bedding plants from the local supermarket....

Yes, Morrisons is terrific for plants. I've lost count of the number of £1.79 Clematis plants I've bought over the years.

Yes, Morrisons is terrific for plants. I've lost count of the number of £1.79 Clematis plants I've bought over the years.

I bought most of my bedding plants from Morrisons last year , really impressed by the Quality and price , so will be doing that again this year. There Clematis plants are great aswell , I have several from the last few years.

Ive found Qvc plants hit and miss, I had some success and other disappointments so I think ill stick to the supermarkets and local garden centres in future.

Hit and miss for me too on plants from QVC, EXCEPT De Jager. Their bulbs produce huge plants and every single one has grown. I agree Morrisons are good and if they die, well it's only a pound or two lost. If you can't get out though then telly shopping is very tempting. It's tempting for me and I can get out.

CC

Latest posts

Back