Preparing myself for 'the letter'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Chrissi

Registered Shopper
I think I am going to be next to get it. Have had to return a lot recently, mainly because of faults and then I ordered a B&W ring when it was the free p&p weekend, which didn't turn up and is now showing on my account as 'returned' after me calling them up to tell them I hadn't got it, filling in a form & returning it to them etc.

Ah well, go ahead QVC, send me 'the letter' as I have gone over the 50% return rate that you don't advertise anywhere. I will have my reply ready for you. :rock:

I have sent over 50% of items I have ordered back, but have not received the letter yet. Actually I am quite disappointed as I would like to see what it said.

I got the PHONE CALL before I even knew anything about the 50% thing, really threw me when they were asking me why I was returning stuff??!?! Errr because of the reasons listed on the returns slip! Because some of your stuff is duff and I'm taking advantage of the 30 day MBG that you peddle all the time!! I was livid after the phone call though.

Anyway, I contacted them about an item recently as I was concerned about my returns rate and this is what they said....

'Any call back regarding returns is not taken lightly'.

So maybe it's just to scare people???

Perhasps we can all expect a visit from the QVC police eventually:grin:

when is quibbling not quibbling

I hold the dubious honour of being the first person on this forum ever to receive the letter followed by the phone call!

At the time I was almost ashamed to report it on here as there was some truth in the fact I was ordering lots and then having a reality check a few weeks later and returning quite a lot too. The reaction on here was mostly shock and indignation and I almost wish they'd contact me again as, with hindsight I was too accepting and should have challenged their interpretation of "no quibble", though I did say the products were over-sold and didn't meet expectations. I was sent to the naughty step and told to be more-discerning about my ordering in future; and I surely have!

I'm shocked that other members have had their memberships cancelled.

I'm still a shopping bulimic: I order lots and return lots too, from a wide spectrum of online and highstreet retailers. QVC being the only quibbler amongst them. The only difference seem their policy re beauty products: I was ordering the latest gatineau/elemis/decleor/whatever miracle cream and used it for a few weeks only to find it was just a cream. And the same with the latest mascara/foundation or whatever. I took them at their word and when I found the product lacking I sent it back even if it was half used...cos that's the message they push in the beauty shows. How often do presenters use the phrase "take advantage of our money back guarantee"so that's what I do! :wink: If I want to try the latest miracle gunk I'll still order from QVC if it's a product I've never tried before. If it's crap I'll send it back. If it's good but cheaper elsewhere I still might send it back if the saving covers the p&p lost. They make the rules I'm just taking advantage!

Sorry for the ramble my painkillers :glass: are kicking in :blush:

Maybe the Q in QVC actually literally stands for Quibble? :grin:

Jude xx

Think I might have to return my Kipling TSV and swap it for the breezer/brownie, which unfortunately I didn't see until I had ordered my TSV - and it was on easy pay too, drat! So I am pretty sure I'll also be getting 'the letter' as I have returned loads in the last year or so.

yikes, I never even knew there was a 'letter/phone call' - I would be tempted to tell them exactly where to shove it if I ever got one. They sure dont have the monopoly on home shopping any more, they should be very careful about losing customers. They still fleece you on their p&p.

Anyone who sells things either online, in a catalogue or on tv has to expect people to send stuff back as it is not the same as going to a shop and holding it in your hand before purchasing.

The ultimate insult is QVC showing off about the no quibble refund. You guys have done nothing wrong in this thread and yet they treat you like criminals. Not on.

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had to return loads of Tiana B dresses over the last year because the sizing is so hit and miss. I've started a spreadsheet with reasons for my returns in anticipation of "the letter" and will be printing this off as my exhibit A.

Yes, I know it sounds a bit obsessive but most returns were unavoidable on my part but avoidable by them if they had gotten the product sorted in the first place :angry:. For example, one dress was 6" larger on the bust than was shown on the website - now that's poor quality control. Seams don't match and some were marked. Then there was the time they sent me the wrong colour bag due to a 'packing mix up' or the dressing gown instead of a dress...... I could go on........

I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it....... rant over.:blush:

I too had no idea of the existence of The Letter or The Phone Call until I joined this forum, I remember reading posts that mentioned them and wondering what everyone was on about! I recently went into my online account and did a counting and cancelling out exercise and worked out that my returns have been hovvering around 50% for much of this year. I didn't realise this was the case, was quite surprised to be honest, seems it soon mounts up. I looked at each return and recalled the reason - a couple of changed minds, a couple of :eek: :taphead: when the item arrived, and more than a couple of faulty items that went straight back with a flea in their ear to be passed directly to the suits.

I've wondered before though if QVC are prepared to let go a higher rate of returns that they'd ideally like if they know they are still making something on their extortionate P&P charges, and if the customer regularly repeat purchases some products, so that a stable income from that customer is likely if not guaranteed. If this is the case, it's my Poxytanne hand cream that's keeping my membership live :whew: :wink:

Oooh, is that the postman? (Unlikely at this time of the morning...:grin:)

I didnt know it existed either! Has anyone actually trawled the terms and conditions of membership to see if this is mentioned anywhere I wonder?
Ali.

Well I am truly amazed that I have never had this letter particularly last year as I sent back 4 coats. :confused:First one was their fault because they sent the wrong size. I had lost a lot of weight so was doing a JF & having a play around because I BELIEVED that this is what you can do with QVC products. Eventually had none of them for one reason or another.

I can tell you that if I ever get as letter or a phone call I am straight onto the Chief Execs PA because I consider that to be a form of harrasement. They advertise this 30 day money back guarantee crap all the time. Surely by then chasing you & giving the third degree they are in breach of trading standards.

Its a pain there is no PM on this site because I have the PA''s details for anyone who wants them. Don't feel I should make it general knowledge on here.

Last edited:
I had the Letter and the Call a couple of years ago. It seemed pretty daft to me, because I buy lots and keep lots, however much I send back. And everything I send back is in in perfect condition and resaleable - I've never sent back used beauty items, even when they make my eyes itch (Laura Geller). So I chose to take the view that they were genuinely trying to deal with the reasons for send-backs, and discussed matters from that viewpoint. I've heard nothing since.

because I buy lots and keep lots, however much I send back. And everything I send back is in in perfect condition and resaleable -
Snap. I've had THE LETTER twice in the last year and I'm still buying, keeping what I like and sending back stuff I don't. As far as I'm concerned that's what the 30 day mbg is for and I'll argue that point if I get THE PHONE CALL.

Its a pain there is no PM on this site because I have the PA''s details for anyone who wants them. Don't feel I should make it general knowledge on here.

Sue, there is a PM facility on this site but I can't remember if you have to be a VIP member to use it.

Ah yes, had the letter, phone call, letter, letter, phone call, letter and then the big bounce. The finance department looks at accounts over 6 or 12 months, not short spells. They tried to make me feel that they were on my side, trying to save me money - they quoted me how much I had paid over a 12 month period in postage! Well, it's my money and I should have the right to spend it as I wish. I never sent used items back, most everything was tried on or tested and sent back within the 7 day cancellation period, but that doesn't matter it is still just classed as a return. Wrong sizes, wrong items, faulty goods, doesn't matter. In the end they admitted that I cost the company too much money as they couldn't resell the goods as new. Well, we all know that line... Embarrassing to admit after being with them since day 1, I was no longer a valued customer of QVC, well I knew that, never received anything from them - invites, promotion codes, Christmas cards etc, so I knew I wasn't valued. The penultimate letter warned me that my account would be under review for the next 3 months and if my returns did not significantly drop my account would be closed. I heard nothing for about 9 months and then got a letter saying the account had been closed 2 weeks prior to the letter and all pending orders would be cancelled.
I am happier now that I am QVCfree, and I haven't seen anything that I was so desperate to have that I borrowed the OH's card and set up and account in his name. :giggle:

Last edited:
Ah yes, had the letter, phone call, letter, letter, phone call, letter and then the big bounce. The finance department looks at accounts over 6 or 12 months, not short spells. They tried to make me feel that they were on my side, trying to save me money - they quoted me how much I had paid over a 12 month period in postage! Well, it's my money and I should have the right to spend it as I wish. I never sent used items back, most everything was tried on or tested and sent back within the 7 day cancellation period, but that doesn't matter it is still just classed as a return. Wrong sizes, wrong items, faulty goods, doesn't matter. In the end they admitted that I cost the company too much money as they couldn't resell the goods as new. Well, we all know that line... Embarrassing to admit after being with them since day 1, I was no longer a valued customer of QVC, well I knew that, never received anything from them - invites, promotion codes, Christmas cards etc, so I knew I wasn't valued. The penultimate letter warned me that my account would be under review for the next 3 months and if my returns did not significantly drop my account would be closed. I heard nothing for about 9 months and then got a letter saying the account had been closed 2 weeks prior to the letter and all pending orders would be cancelled.
I am happier now that I am QVCfree, and I haven't seen anything that I was so desperate to have that I borrowed the OH's card and set up and account in his name. :giggle:

When they tried to make out they were helping you to safe postage money you should have said, well you an give me some pre paid envelopes if you were that worried ;-)

I had the phonecall first and didn't even know what she was on about.in fact she didn't explain what the phonecall was about,other than was I happy with my QVC service? and I thought it was just a customer survey/feedback sort of thing.

When I did mention a couple of gripes ie postage rates and delivery times.....................the woman promptly agreed with everything I said!!!!!!!:up::clapping::rock:Hung up and thought nothing more about it.

When I did recieve the letter a coiple of weeks later I was absolutely gobsmacked.And rang to tell them so,when I encountered a very rude man.I didn't buy anything for ages and I was absolutely raving.

Of course I went back to shopping with them - but I don't try things like I used to.I still send the odd thing back - but I've cut my shopping with them so drastically.For a while i was scared to send thngs back - I even gave my MIL a mookite TSV as a present - purely for the fact,iId bought it for me - hated it but was too worried about sending it back.

I now don't think like that - if I have to send something back - I will - I'm not going to be bullied or frightned by QVC.

I'm not terribly sure how QVC work out who gets the letter and/or phonecall.I couldn't get out of my very rude man what my percentage of returns were and he simply told me to cut down the items I was trying.He even tried to convince that if I bought 3 items and returned 3 items - it would be better than what i was currently doing at the time.I tried to get him to see that if i only bought 3 items and returned 3 items - that would be a 100% return rate......but he didn't agree:cheeky:

From the QVC T&C of Membership:

Returns and Cancellation
9.1 Every product sold by QVC is backed by our 30 day money-back guarantee (“30-Day Money-Back Guarantee”). We want you to be satisfied with your purchase. However, if you change your mind about a product or you would like to change the size or colour, simply return it within 30 days of receipt, in accordance with the return instructions and label enclosed with your order. We also recommend that you obtain proof of posting. Where a product is too heavy to be returned via Royal Mail, please contact our Customer Care team to arrange for collection by courier. You are responsible for the cost of any returns.

9.2 Under our 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee the purchase price will be refunded provided that the product is returned in clean condition and in its original packaging. You should allow up to 21 days from receipt of your returned product at our Customer Operations Centre for your refund to be processed. We will normally refund you using the same payment method that you used to purchase the products. Our delivery charges will not be refunded. For further information on our 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee please see our returns policy at www.qvcuk.com or on QVC Active.

9.3 It is our policy to contact and work with customers whose level of returns is very high. This is to ensure that our prices are not negatively impacted by the cost to QVC of dealing with an extremely high number of returns by a small minority of customers. If a customer continues to return an extremely high number of products to us, we reserve the right to close their account. If this happens the customer’s statutory rights will remain unaffected, orders accepted by us before the account has been closed will be fulfilled in accordance with these terms and individual product warranties will continue to be honoured in accordance with their terms.

9.4 You also have a statutory right to cancel your purchase. If you wish to cancel you must tell us in writing, by telephone, fax or email (please see our webform at www.qvcuk.com for email cancellations) within 7 working days from the day after the date on which the product is delivered. You should keep evidence of having given your cancellation notice, such as a certificate of posting. You must take reasonable care of the product and you should return the product to us (at your own risk and cost) within 7 working days of notifying us of your cancellation. The product must be returned unused (except to the extent use was reasonably necessary to examine the product). Please return the product with its original packaging. The following products are excluded from this legal right to cancel: (i) perishable products such as food or flowers; (ii) audio/video recordings, DVDs or computer software that you have taken out of the sealed packaging in which they were delivered to you; (iii) products made to your own specification; (iv) periodicals or magazines; and (v) any other products that by reason of their nature cannot be returned. We will refund the purchase price of the product together with the delivery charge you paid to receive the product

They dont advertise 9.3 so much do they......

From the QVC T&C of Membership:

9.3 It is our policy to contact and work with customers whose level of returns is very high. This is to ensure that our prices are not negatively impacted by the cost to QVC of dealing with an extremely high number of returns by a small minority of customers. If a customer continues to return an extremely high number of products to us, we reserve the right to close their account. If this happens the customer’s statutory rights will remain unaffected, orders accepted by us before the account has been closed will be fulfilled in accordance with these terms and individual product warranties will continue to be honoured in accordance with their terms.

They dont advertise 9.3 so much do they......

I suppose it works like a shop because after all thats what it is basically. Shops can refuse to serve you but only if you are behaving outrageously like being really abusive, aggressive, drunk etc.

I just don't get it. Just because you may have a spell when you are returning goods dosen't mean that in the future you may not buy a considerable amount. Does it work the same if you don't use them for a long period of time ? It all seems very controlling, all very 1984 to me. Where is our freedom of choice to buy what we like & then return if we are not satisfied ?

It all seems very petty to me & an attitude'' BUY or else we will punish you & take away your privleges ''. Theres not a sign for giving the finger:giggle:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back