Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

That's awful, I know that Barra's been nasty & hope that you'll soon get help to deal with the mess & disruption.
Thanks Mr L and I managed emergency repairs and a man is coming tomorrow to see if he can do something a bit more until the spring when we will look at a full replacement.

Was going to get a greenhouse but now having second thoughts! It is possible that removing the trees last month has got rid of our wind break but we live on a hill and always have trouble if there are storms.

Strato ….

If you got it from eBay, then you should have received an entry to PayPal’s Christmas prize draw. I ordered a couple of things in November and was given an entry for each purchase. In total I’ve actually won 3 lots of £25 in prizes 😳 and so PayPal have paid for £75 worth of subsequent purchases. Obviously I had to buy more things to take advantage of the prize. 😉 I stocked up on things I usually order and treated myself to a couple of extra things.

It is legit because the first time I got a PayPal invoice for £0.00 I rang them to query it and that’s when they told me that I was a winner.

I ordered 3 things this week and didnt get anything about a prize draw!

Maybe it’s closed now then. They did send details about it after my first win, but I can’t remember the closing date for the draw although I do know all prizes had to be redeemed by the end of this month. I redeemed my last one yesterday.

I think it depends when you bought something. I think the prize draw closed on 30th November, but I might be wrong. Unfortunately I’ve now deleted the email with the T&Cs in it.

I’ve just Googled the prize draw and found this. If I’ve understood it (having skim read it) it looks as though it’s still running

You do have to opt in though, which I did. The T&Cs are at the bottom.

I’ve just Googled the prize draw and found this. If I’ve understood it (having skim read it) it looks as though it’s still running

Flipping heck I’ve paid with Pay Pal for about 6 orders within this week but if you go through web sites or eBay I don’t think you see this. 😲😢

It was on the PayPal home page. I don’t think you got a notification with any invoices they send after you‘ve bought something. I saw it by pure chance when the draw started because I went to check my account to see if a payment was pending, so I clicked the “I want to participate” icon, checked my account and the rest, as they say, is history.

Oh no!
I use PayPal for most everything!
I’ve got a vague recollection of seeing an email but usually avoid entering price draws because they often involve someone else getting my details!
I’ve now clicked participate!

Well done/lucky you though!

Well I got my reply today. Firstly this is the message I sent

I have been made aware of the Qurio app by a friend who posted a video. I checked it out and was frankly shocked. I did not see any sense of community, just an encouragement to spend, spend, spend! I can only see that this app serves yourselves as a company. Some of the ladies clearly have extremely worrying spending habits, are frequently disappointed or unsure of their purchases, but will carry on spending regardless and will often pay huge amounts in postal charges just to try something out, even rendering products unfit for resale in the process. I feel that this app is serving to normalise, bizarre and potentially harmful shopping habits and encourages competition amongst members. In today's current climate I feel this is rather irresponsible. I understand that as a business that you need to make a profit, and that promoting yourselves is a key part of that, but I strongly feel that this app is a step too far. I think perhaps that you should consider posting a link towards an addiction helpline or at least some kind of warning -as shopping addiction is real and extremely damaging. I hope you don't mind this feedback, but I feel I needed to say something about this. Many thanks.

This is how they responded. Yes, it's obviously been read though and thought about, but they have completely overlooked the point I was trying to make - The bottom line is that I was recommending that they acknowledged "out of control spending/addiction" on the app by including a helpline and maybe a "shop responsibly" message....anyway, here goes!

Thank you for contacting QVC.
Please accept my apologies for the late reply.

I am sorry to hear of your concerns regarding the Qurio app.
Just to advise, Qurio was created so customers can share video reviews, unboxings, tutorials, tips and more, as well as being able to view exciting content from other users on the platform. Users can also 'like' and comment on each others videos.

We did a trial run of this app before releasing it fully and we received excellent feedback from our users. We wanted Qurio to be a place where real customers can give their honest opinions and reviews and engage with fellow shoppers.

I'm sorry you feel that there isn't much of a community. We do encourage feedback and are always looking for ways to improve and update our services.

Regarding customers shopping habits, as you can appreciate it is completely up to the user on whether they decide to make a purchase or not. We do have our 60 day Money Back Guarantee in place so that people can try an item and return it if they are not happy.

We clearly display any relevant information for the items/prices wherever you can buy an item with QVC as we want to make sure that our customers have all the necessary information before they buy. As a result our customers can feel confident that they have all the information they need before choosing to purchase.

Of course, if we were made aware of someone's vulnerability, we would step in and offer help. However, we cannot monitor a customers account and step in on an assumption, we must be approached.

Rest assured, your comments and feedback have been passed along to the relevant department.

If we can help with anything else please get back in touch with the team.
Best wishes,
Tracey
Customer Support Team

Well I got my reply today. Firstly this is the message I sent

I have been made aware of the Qurio app by a friend who posted a video. I checked it out and was frankly shocked. I did not see any sense of community, just an encouragement to spend, spend, spend! I can only see that this app serves yourselves as a company. Some of the ladies clearly have extremely worrying spending habits, are frequently disappointed or unsure of their purchases, but will carry on spending regardless and will often pay huge amounts in postal charges just to try something out, even rendering products unfit for resale in the process. I feel that this app is serving to normalise, bizarre and potentially harmful shopping habits and encourages competition amongst members. In today's current climate I feel this is rather irresponsible. I understand that as a business that you need to make a profit, and that promoting yourselves is a key part of that, but I strongly feel that this app is a step too far. I think perhaps that you should consider posting a link towards an addiction helpline or at least some kind of warning -as shopping addiction is real and extremely damaging. I hope you don't mind this feedback, but I feel I needed to say something about this. Many thanks.

This is how they responded. Yes, it's obviously been read though and thought about, but they have completely overlooked the point I was trying to make - The bottom line is that I was recommending that they acknowledged "out of control spending/addiction" on the app by including a helpline and maybe a "shop responsibly" message....anyway, here goes!

Thank you for contacting QVC.
Please accept my apologies for the late reply.

I am sorry to hear of your concerns regarding the Qurio app.
Just to advise, Qurio was created so customers can share video reviews, unboxings, tutorials, tips and more, as well as being able to view exciting content from other users on the platform. Users can also 'like' and comment on each others videos.

We did a trial run of this app before releasing it fully and we received excellent feedback from our users. We wanted Qurio to be a place where real customers can give their honest opinions and reviews and engage with fellow shoppers.

I'm sorry you feel that there isn't much of a community. We do encourage feedback and are always looking for ways to improve and update our services.

Regarding customers shopping habits, as you can appreciate it is completely up to the user on whether they decide to make a purchase or not. We do have our 60 day Money Back Guarantee in place so that people can try an item and return it if they are not happy.

We clearly display any relevant information for the items/prices wherever you can buy an item with QVC as we want to make sure that our customers have all the necessary information before they buy. As a result our customers can feel confident that they have all the information they need before choosing to purchase.

Of course, if we were made aware of someone's vulnerability, we would step in and offer help. However, we cannot monitor a customers account and step in on an assumption, we must be approached.

Rest assured, your comments and feedback have been passed along to the relevant department.

If we can help with anything else please get back in touch with the team.
Best wishes,
Tracey
Customer Support Team
I’ve not been on and have no intention of looking at the Qurio app!
Aside from a couple of incredibly irritating adverts I’ve seen for it on QVC, I wasn’t aware of its existence let alone its contents until I saw this thread.

I’ve not posted about Qurio on this thread because, esp at first thought it was a bit cruel, to be honest - mocking and taking the p*** out of those who have chosen privately to join the “community” and sharing videos etc within in it.
(Sorry that sounded very “judgey” and superior, I just mean I didn’t want to join in with all that!
Although I am sure that I would find it equally amusing and baffling if I did..! 😉)

Anyway, as the thread has developed, and whilst I still feel a bit sorry for the people being quoted etc, it’s become clear that the app exposes and is even fuelling some really worrying (as well as insane!) behaviour and attitudes! 😳
Plus lot of them sound lonely and/or like it’s their life.

I really commend you on your message to QVC - well composed and very balanced with important information 😊

Their response does miss the point!
Glad they did reply and I can kind of understand it because they seem to exist in a kind of “life is perfect and QVC is faultless” dream world!

But you highlighted an issue they’re avoiding - it would cost them nothing and be really responsible to at least give warnings about shopping addition and spending and the rest, and signpost further support.
As it is, it’s just in their commercial interests to stir it up - very disappointing but not at all surprising 😔

Latest posts

Back