Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Check out Shirley Valentine’s new handbag? She paid £110.00 + £4.95 postage for it, and it’s now £189.00 plus the postage! I’m not knocking her for buying an expensive bag just because I never would, but take a look at it. It might well be a soft buttery leather, the colour is lovely, if bright pink’s your thing - but does it look like a quality item? It looks really cheap and mis-shapen , the strap is mangled. Other than that , I can see nothing about that bag that screams quality, apart from the vibrant colour, there’s not much positive you can say. Look at the Lulu Guinness and Radley bags and you immediately see class and quality for the money paid. This according to Shirley came wrapped in a sheet of paper and put in a plastic bag!!! No dust bag either. Her video is filling up with compliments, so I’m not going to buck the trend and tell her what I think - but seriously, that lady’s been ripped off big time - more fool her. Her money of course, but I cannot believe what crap people are prepared to put up with when buying stuff from QVC!
I think they are all on spending frenzy at the minute is there another prize coming up 🤣and I can never understand why handbags are so expensive 🤔

I think they are all on spending frenzy at the minute is there another prize coming up 🤣and I can never understand why handbags are so expensive 🤔
I've not heard about another prize, I think it's a thing they do if the reviews start tailing off. I don't get the handbag craziness either. I'm not bothered about names or labels, but like I said some of the brands do look really smart. It's all very nice having a soft buttery leather, but sadly it can look slouchy and cheap. If I wanted slouchy and cheap, I'd want to pay slouchy and cheap prices!

Last edited:
They do say buy cheap, buy twice. My concern is that Q seems to be selling a lot of stuff which has a higher price point, but for items that don't justify the price.
I am delighted to see Q doing brands like Joules, White Stuff and Masai Copenhagen which I have bought ir looked at in detail in the likes of John Lewis... but I worry that Q's relentless search for cheap prices will impact the quality and fabrics. I know if it's a case of go to the wall or sacrifice quality or materials they are in a no-win situation: lose the business in the short term or risk losing it in the longer term.
The minute Q trumpet and exclusive, made for Q item, I know the rave to the bottom has begun. I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen.

All the Qurio members are seemingly taking no account of items being cheaper elsewhere, or quality equivalents being sold by other retailers.
I think they are lucky if they don't have to consider their Q spending... but I feel they are committed to Qurio because they feel part of a community, get a chance to feel like an Instagram star on a smaller, safer platform, and get all the feelgood factor from the supportive commenters.
I'll be interested to see where it is in 6 month's time, but honestly, the quality of the postings will need to get better and the number of users posting will need to increase... and some of the current posters do need to be a bit more ruthless in what they buy, keep and send back, imo.

Last edited:
They do say buy cheap, buy twice. My concern is that Q seems to be selling a lot of stuff which has a higher price point, but for items that don't justify the price.
I am delighted to see Q doing brands like Joules, White Stuff and Masai Copenhagen which I have bought ir looked at in detail in the likes of John Lewis... but I worry that Q's relentless search for cheap prices will impact the quality and fabrics. I know if it's a case of go to the wall or sacrifice quality or materials they are in a no-win situation: lose the business in the short term or risk losing it in the longer term.
The minute Q trumpet and exclusive, made for Q item, I know the rave to the bottom has begun. I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen.

All the Qurio members are seemingly taking no account of items being cheaper elsewhere, or quality equivalents being sold by other retailers.
I think they are lucky if they don't have to consider their Q spending... but I feel they are committed to Qurio because they feel part of a community, get a chance to feel like an Instagram star on a smaller, safer platform, and get all the feelgood factor from the supportive commenters.
I'll be interested to see where it is in 6 month's time, but honestly, the quality of the postings will need to get better and the number of users posting will need to increase... and some of the current posters do need to be a bit more ruthless in what they buy, keep and send back, imo.
I think everybody likes a "one stop shop", me too, it makes life a lot simpler but it does upset me when I'm met with a change in terms, rising prices or a dip in quality. I'll have a bit of a moan to see if it does me any good, usually not and that's when I say to myself enough's enough. I've been very loyal to a brand of toiletries for some years after discovering them on Price Drop. Subsequently I was able to buy their products from Savers in town, or Fragrance Direct for literally pennies, and have found similar budget websites where I could also pay similar prices. This has all stopped and you can only purchase from Beauty outlet and there's no branch within 100 miles of me, or from their own website. Their bath foams are about £2 in the stores, wheras their website sells them for a fiver & of course you have to pay postage on top. Despite my disappointment I bought a few bits, then noticed a lot of my favourite products were being discontinued or changed - I tried a couple of the new items and they were awful in comparison. Eventually I thought no, that's it, they've lost my custom and I've stopped buying their products. I'm not blaming them as this sort of thing happens, but if customers are so blindly loyal, companies will continue to get away with palming customers off with a bad deal. A silly as this may sound, I actually feel free, free to shop around for the best deals and to discover new things. Qvc customers, Qurio customers in particular appear to be caught in a trap!
I agree, and just when you think one of them is going to "see the light", they're back! If I had spent £115 on a handbag and that turned up - I'd be furious!

My normal reading is Scandi type thrillers but occasionally I go for something much lighter. At present I’m reading one free with my prime subscription about nursing home workers who are trying to diet. One of the other characters shops with Q for her clothes especially the TSVs and a group the NH residents are obsessed with Holly W!

As I read it I picture the tatty appy ladies !

I bought a set of 6 bottles from the pound shop in a zip bag for a pound and 2 of them were spray bottles which were brilliant for decanting perfume .
Exactly! Not rocket science is it? With airlines being very specific we have to think beyond the obvious.I have even worn multiple layers of clothing to save my baggage allowance.Er, some have to catch up on the basics.

I save all sorts of containers and decant everything especially those things were you only use a small dot once a day, then I leave them behind and have enough room for goodies on the return flight

Only thing is shampoo/conditioner/body lotion must be in a squeezy bottle otherwise those hard plastic bottles are impossible to get the stuff out of.

I like the pump ones from Poundland and squeezy ones from Ikea.
I would never take large bottles with me.

I save all sorts of containers and decant everything especially those things were you only use a small dot once a day, then I leave them behind and have enough room for goodies on the return flight

Only thing is shampoo/conditioner/body lotion must be in a squeezy bottle otherwise those hard plastic bottles are impossible to get the stuff out of.

I like the pump ones from Poundland and squeezy ones from Ikea.
I would never take large bottles with me.
I bought a set of six small pots from Primark last year for a couple of pounds. Very sturdy, 3 different sizes, great for decanting moisturiser etc. One of the bigger ones I use for Cod Liver Oil tablets (can't do without them even on holiday!). They were a very good investment. I've made mistakes with travel bottles in the past and now have good squeezy ones.

Plain Jane, who's quite a good reviewer has come on to show the 3 Dannii Minogue TSV tops she bought. She was wearing the Cobalt and had the yellow and the white one hanging on the back of the door. The top did absolutely nothing for her whatsoever, and that's no offence to her as it's the top's fault, not hers! She has spent an eyewatering £99 on three tops that should've cost no more than £12 each. I am completely flabberghasted! £99 could buy you something really decent, in fact it could buy a couple of pretty decent garments. They seriously look like something you could get in Primark for £5 or £6 a pop - That's lunacy imo!

Check out Shirley Valentine’s new handbag? She paid £110.00 + £4.95 postage for it, and it’s now £189.00 plus the postage! I’m not knocking her for buying an expensive bag just because I never would, but take a look at it. It might well be a soft buttery leather, the colour is lovely, if bright pink’s your thing - but does it look like a quality item? It looks really cheap and mis-shapen , the strap is mangled. Other than that , I can see nothing about that bag that screams quality, apart from the vibrant colour, there’s not much positive you can say. Look at the Lulu Guinness and Radley bags and you immediately see class and quality for the money paid. This according to Shirley came wrapped in a sheet of paper and put in a plastic bag!!! No dust bag either. Her video is filling up with compliments, so I’m not going to buck the trend and tell her what I think - but seriously, that lady’s been ripped off big time - more fool her. Her money of course, but I cannot believe what crap people are prepared to put up with when buying stuff from QVC!
Hi Merryone, I've just seen the video for this bag and was shocked at the price. I agree with you that it does look cheap and mis-shapen. I've never heard of Aimee Kestenburg bags either. Last year in the sales I got a Kate Spade large tote bag for £150 (was £300). The quality is amazing. I bought it in their Regent Street store where I had excellent service and was invited to sit down on a huge settee while they got one from the back and wrapped it for me. I bought a small crossbody bag today, I have a family wedding in 2 weeks and hadn't found a bag yet. Wandered into TK Maxx today and found a DKNY one in pale pink for £55 which matches my shoes perfectly. That was expensive enough for me but the dress I bought was cheaper than expected and it is for a wedding. It looks better quality than the bright pink one. I do like a quality bag with a fancy label but usually from TK Maxx or in the sales.

I’ve just had a look at that bag and the thing that jumps out at me is that the flap is lopsided. That would drive me mad.

Hi Merryone, I've just seen the video for this bag and was shocked at the price. I agree with you that it does look cheap and mis-shapen. I've never heard of Aimee Kestenburg bags either. Last year in the sales I got a Kate Spade large tote bag for £150 (was £300). The quality is amazing. I bought it in their Regent Street store where I had excellent service and was invited to sit down on a huge settee while they got one from the back and wrapped it for me. I bought a small crossbody bag today, I have a family wedding in 2 weeks and hadn't found a bag yet. Wandered into TK Maxx today and found a DKNY one in pale pink for £55 which matches my shoes perfectly. That was expensive enough for me but the dress I bought was cheaper than expected and it is for a wedding. It looks better quality than the bright pink one. I do like a quality bag with a fancy label but usually from TK Maxx or in the sales.
That's it - if you're paying that kind of money for something then it needs to be well made, and look special. I know some of these pricey bags aren't even leather, but they don't look cheap and tacky. I have a small crossbody Carvella bag. I bought it in Debenhams sale a few years ago. It was reduced to £30 from about £69 (which I think is quite pricey for a small synthetic bag). It looks incredibly smart with the brand name embossed in gold and attatchments and buckles are gold, neat stitching, it has a good shape and isn't all floppy and nobody would know it wasn't leather unless I told them.
I am shocked that when there are places like TK Maxx that sell umpteen handbags in all colours, shapes and sizes for a fraction of price, that anyone in their right mind would plump for something so blatantly overpriced from Qvc. Yes I get it that TK Maxx can be a bit of a lottery, and if you've got something specific in mind you can't always find it, but surely if it's something you really want you'll make the effort to try and find it!

....Another thing Muttley mentioned back there is how when you buy luxury goods, you get the luxury treatment that goes with it. Some of the jewellery Q sell is really expensive I think I've seen around 6k, now that's the sort of thing you'd imagine making an appointment in the jewellers to look at, try on and not buy with one click and have it shoved through the letter box in a plastic bag.
I'm not saying that nobody should shop with QVC ever, but I'll never be able to get my head around those who seem to shop there for everything and treat it almost like the weekly shop in Asda. It's crazy, it's lazy and never ceases to amaze me!

....Another thing Muttley mentioned back there is how when you buy luxury goods, you get the luxury treatment that goes with it. Some of the jewellery Q sell is really expensive I think I've seen around 6k, now that's the sort of thing you'd imagine making an appointment in the jewellers to look at, try on and not buy with one click and have it shoved through the letter box in a plastic bag.
I'm not saying that nobody should shop with QVC ever, but I'll never be able to get my head around those who seem to shop there for everything and treat it almost like the weekly shop in Asda. It's crazy, it's lazy and never ceases to amaze me!

This! I was very lucky on a special anniversary, to be taken to a very smart jeweller, where I was sat down with a glass of Champagne and spent a wonderfully happy hour or so, trying many rings on before making a selection. The details of the diamond and gold specs were explained to us in detail about each one as I tried them on - and this was after having identified a specific designer's work in the preceding months and therefore having already narrowed down the field. I couldn't even contemplate making a considered purchase on a whim.

I can't imagine buying (or being bought) an expensive piece without looking at it on my own hand and indeed, every time I look at it my ring, I remember that gloriously happy day. I look at it a lot when my husband is being an a***e! All of my jewellery is tied up with who gave it to me and how I received it. I get buying cheap junk jewellery to go with a specific outfit but spending the national debt for fine jewellery off the telly which drops through the letterbox - I honestly can't get my head around it.

Credit to Lola for writing/email message to QVC,on nine very well written and valid points on the p+p-returns-soiled good’s etc.Lets hope she gets the professional answer she deserves,of course lots of the Qurio people come rushing to QVCs defence,the blind leading the blind which I fully understand because it’s a shopaholics app.
Anyway well done Nicola👍

Credit to Lola for writing/email message to QVC,on nine very well written and valid points on the p+p-returns-soiled good’s etc.Lets hope she gets the professional answer she deserves,of course lots of the Qurio people come rushing to QVCs defence,the blind leading the blind which I fully understand because it’s a shopaholics app.
Anyway well done Nicola👍
It's not clear whether she emailed them, she just put her feedback on Qurio. Either or really, whatever way she goes about it, they won't take a blind bit of notice. At least putting it up on Qurio, other people will get to see it. Perhaps she should've posted it on FB too, 'cause they sure as hell wouldn't be able to ignore that, though they'd simply state "sorry to hear of your disappointment, please PM us". I applaud her, but she's still shopping with them albeit a lot less!
Another shocker is Erika's new veedio . She's just spent £17 on two tiny little biscuit tins, containing mini cookies! WHY? None of my business of course, but she's got 3 daughters, so one of them's gonna miss out on a having a little tin to put her trinkets in. I doubt whether 150g of cookies are going to last 5 minutes in a household of 5 people. The amount of kitchen gadgets this lady has bought, why on earth is she not making cookies with the kids? It seems mad to me, oh well!

Latest posts

Back