Qvc cost of living winners and losers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was at the theatre last night to see Anything Goes at The Barbican Theatre in London. I would have expected theatre to be suffering but it was packed. The seat I was in in the stalls was worth £90. I didn't pay that as the night I should have gone was cancelled at the last minute due to sickness. They rescheduled and upgraded me from the upper gallery. And it wasn't full of tourists, the Barbican is off West End and a bit out of the way. No-one was cutting back on drinks in the bar although I brought my own M&S mojito and a plastic glass!
you lucky thing! I bet it was excellent. I love a bit of tap!!!

I go to the theatre a lot and the last few things I have seen have been very full if not totally packed. And that’s on a midweek matinée, so the popular evening shows must be rammed.

As CC rightly said, QVC are pricey for everything. I very much doubt whether they'll lower the prices, or do anything about the p&p ridiculousness, but there's gonna be a whole lot of easipays coming up I'm sure. The Food will have to go though, again as CC said, kitchenalia will probably high up on the agenda, buy this £200 mixer and it will pay for itself in no time, especially if you make foodie christmas presents. Look out for ridiculously expensive heaters, yep they may cost £600 to buy, but it heats up all your nooks n' crannies for a penny an hour. I think this is the spin they'll put on it - spend now, save later!

That’s an odd idea because it would cost a fortune to plug it in to warm up.
No. they are very economical, bought a Q one from Q for OH, then one for me from Aldi (much cheaper, obviously, and free PP).

They warm up fast, then keep the temp that you've set it at, and as far as I remember they go off after about 1/2 hour (I didn't need mine last winter).

We are going to the cinema in a few weeks to see Madame Butterfly streaming live from The Royal Opera House. It didn't cost £40 for us both and it's a beautiful cinema with large seats and plenty of room.
I've seen a couple of the streamed performances at the cinema, certainly a lot cheaper than seeing it live at the Royal Opera House! I saw Madam Butterfly at the London Coliseum and it was beautiful (and sad!). Hope you enjoy it.

you lucky thing! I bet it was excellent. I love a bit of tap!!!

I go to the theatre a lot and the last few things I have seen have been very full if not totally packed. And that’s on a midweek matinée, so the popular evening shows must be rammed.
It was fantastic particularly with the upgraded seat, I'm usually up high. It's such a happy show and the tap routine at the end of Act 1 is amazing.

It might be cheaper to sit in a warm theatre than to sit at home with the central heating on.
There was a story earlier this year that a pensioner was riding on (free) buses to keep warm. During the Jubilee celebrations in London Cliff Richard was doing something riding on a bus round London - Private Eye magazine used his picture with the caption "sad story of elderly man riding on a bus to keep warm"🤣

Surely the high-end, over-priced beauty produces (yes, Dr Perricone, I'm looking at you!). I saw a programme where people were saying they've cancelled their streaming subscriptions etc. and one woman said she'd downgraded her skincare from a very expensive product to Aldi's...
I'm looking at you too Dr Perricone. Go fly a kite!

I did read somewhere that economists often say that one of the most resilient products during a recession are flowers ... so make of that what you will. Not sure what flowers QVC sells, apart from that fake ones, Peony something? I think they will be 'winners'. That woman who fronts them is a bit quirky ... very girly, and almost with the mentality of a 10 year old, even tho she must be late 50s.
I think her 'girly' persona is a cover. She's a hard business woman underneath.

I was reading an article earlier about how to save money on the cost of living. Some of the ideas were pretty good and worth thinking about but others bordered on the ridiculous IMO. One person suggested just simply lowering your standards, ie. bathe less, don`t wash your clothes until they smell, eat less and heat or light your home less, share a bed with someone, get the whole family under the shower together (hell of a squash) buy all gifts secondhand from charity shops, give up meat, dilute shampoo and other toiletries, give up buying cleaning products and just use vinegar instead, put washing up water in a bucket and use it to flush the loo, take your phones, laptops and tablets to a library or other public place and charge them there and so on and so on. Be ready for more smelly people in unwashed clothes and riding that bus around your home town for hours on end.
On a serious note, yep most of us will be tightening our belts one way or another but I draw the line at not showering daily and wearing my clothes until they smell.
One good idea was someone suggesting instead of paying the likes of car insurance, pet insurance, home insurance etc monthly and with interest added on by the companies, apply for a credit card with 0% interest for 12 months, pay all your insurances in one go using that, then pay the card off over 12 months interest free. I guess unless all your insurances are due around the same time, then the timing of such an arrangement might be difficult.

As you have to fill an electric kettle to the minimum mark, which is often more than you need, I've been putting the excess hot water into a vacuum flask for at least 15 years and using it during the day.
My grandparents also did this and I will be doing it too. I use the washing up water to water my tomatoes - we're not on water meters here yet, but give it time.

CC

Latest posts

Back