Qvc cost of living winners and losers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I rarely brown meat etc for slow cooking. Just chop and bung it all in! Good stock pots, seasoning and herbs/ spices depending on what I'm cooking. Tomato puree always helps. If gravy/ sauce too thin then 30 mins or so before serving I stir in some McDougall thickening granules. Job done! My get is never mushy, only spuds to into the gravy when I make scouse, and they are meant to!!
Nor do I…. Bung it all in… and Add anything you’ve got to hand. Ive got a big slow cooker from Aldi and I bet about 9 meals out of it. So economical. Into the chest freezer and we are sorted for months. Also get packs of frozen casserole ver from Tesco to bulk it up, so less meat

Interesting, Donna. I’ve had mb samples and don’t feel the love. I can’t see how they justify their prices for gels. Even the body lotion didn’t wow me. I know they have lots of fans so you might be right but if money’s really tight I’m not sure.
I’m another who doesn’t feel the love of either MB or L’occatine .

I quite fancy getting a pressure cooker but I remember my gran having one and doing a casserole with dumplings in hers on her first attempt. It was one of the first models that came out. I’m not sure what happened but we watched in horror as the contents of the pressure cooker squeezed out of the vent and went everywhere. I guess she did something wrong. 😂

I must get over the “trauma” and look online. 😉

I think the top 3 cheapest ways to cook now are #1 microwave, #2 air fryer and #3 slow cooker. I wouldn't be surprised if #4 is a pressure cooker. Unless you can do a massive batch cook in your oven, it's going to be saved for high days and holidays in the current climate... and as we've found with other adaptations we've made for covid, we won't be going back when we see how much money we can save vs switching on the oven.

I think the top 3 cheapest ways to cook now are #1 microwave, #2 air fryer and #3 slow cooker. I wouldn't be surprised if #4 is a pressure cooker. Unless you can do a massive batch cook in your oven, it's going to be saved for high days and holidays in the current climate... and as we've found with other adaptations we've made for covid, we won't be going back when we see how much money we can save vs switching on the oven.
I'm not sure about pressure cooker economy as it takes a while to heat the whole thing up to pressure, and then of course it is quick.

I've also heard on the radio that it is cheaper to heat up water for a cup of tea in a small saucepan by GAS because electricity costs about 4x more for the same amount of heat, and you always need to put more into the kettle than you need (although I put the excess into a vacuum flask).

When I cook an omelette I like it firm all over, and light brown top and bottom. I've never had any success turning it over in the pan, so I brown the top under the grille. Unfortunately it takes ages to heat up to red hot, far longer than the few minutes it takes to brown the top. Any omelette cooking ideas?

I'm not sure about pressure cooker economy as it takes a while to heat the whole thing up to pressure, and then of course it is quick.

I've also heard on the radio that it is cheaper to heat up water for a cup of tea in a small saucepan by GAS because electricity costs about 4x more for the same amount of heat, and you always need to put more into the kettle than you need (although I put the excess into a vacuum flask).

When I cook an omelette I like it firm all over, and light brown top and bottom. I've never had any success turning it over in the pan, so I brown the top under the grille. Unfortunately it takes ages to heat up to red hot, and longer than the few minutes it takes to brown the top. Any omelette cooking ideas?
I used to use hot water in the pressure cooker. Not tried the Ninja foodi on pressure cooker yet.

When I cook an omelette I like it firm all over, and light brown top and bottom. I've never had any success turning it over in the pan, so I brown the top under the grille. Unfortunately it takes ages to heat up to red hot, far longer than the few minutes it takes to brown the top. Any omelette cooking ideas?
Would a chefs blow torch do the job like you use for crème brulee?

Would a chefs blow torch do the job like you use for crème brulee?
Yes, I tried a hot air gun, but it was designed for card making and was not hot enough.

But come to think of it, I did buy a proper gas chef's blowtorch from Lidl years ago (as I thought it would come in useful one day) but now I've no idea where I put it. I will have to search Strato Towers for it, and will try it in a few years time when I've found it !

Yes, I tried a hot air gun, but it was designed for card making and was not hot enough.

But come to think of it, I did buy a proper gas chef's blowtorch from Lidl years ago (as I thought it would come in useful one day) but now I've no idea where I put it. I will have to search Strato Towers for it, and will try it in a few years time when I've found it !
Of course you did, Strato. With your torch obsession, you were bound to fancy one that blows. And that’s all I’m saying because there are some filthy-minded people on here.

Putting a lid on your omelette pan should firm it up. That may allow you to flip it without total disaster ensuing.

Bung some booze in if you have any. We've started freezing any leftover (?) wine in ice cube trays.

We had family over last weekend and someone bought a bottle of rose. It was opened but half a bottle was left as hubby not keen on rose.,I'm a G&T lover .
Leftover 🍷????? Well done Patsy! 😂 I rarely have leftovers but if there's a bottle of red open I slosh a bit in!!

Now we will start the discussion on making omelettes.!,

The way the chefs do it I think is more like scrambled eggs. Then there is the unturned flat omelette or the way I do it which is turned into the middle and then turned over the shape of a Cornish pasty.
I tend to fold mine into 3.

Latest posts

Back