QVCs shocking postage service

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm not sure this is the right place to ask since some have less than favourable experiences with our local couriers, but do any of you give a "Christmas tip/drink" to your Hermes courier? I know we already pay through the nose in P&P for what we get from QVC but that's not the couriers' fault and they see only a small fraction of that. I like my courier and would like to pop a few quid in a card for him. Do you suppose most people give their couriers (and RM postman) a tip at this time of year? Do you? What would be considered fair?

I usually get something for our Hermes courier and postman. The postman will always try to find a neighbour to leave a package with, if I'm not in when he calls. Likewise the Hermes courier, who is always cheery and accommodating. My budget's around £10 each.

I can generally get a nice gift from The Body Shop or Boots for my courier, as she's appreciates toiletries/hand creams etc. Postie usually get a bottle of something.

I think if someone goes that extra mile for you, it's good to show you appreciate it.

:mysmilie_852:

I usually get something for our Hermes courier and postman. The postman will always try to find a neighbour to leave a package with, if I'm not in when he calls. Likewise the Hermes courier, who is always cheery and accommodating. My budget's around £10 each.

I can generally get a nice gift from The Body Shop or Boots for my courier, as she's appreciates toiletries/hand creams etc. Postie usually get a bottle of something.

I think if someone goes that extra mile for you, it's good to show you appreciate it.

:mysmilie_852:

That's very helpful, thank you. I was thinking about £10 but wanted to know what others think / do. Hopefully the drivers get a little something from a lot of customers and it adds up nicely. I know couriers like the ones at Hermes only get about 75p per parcel and have to take everything (running vehicle, etc, and parking fines sometimes) out of that. Really they should get something from QVC for what they get out of the delivery man for so little compared to what they charge us.

I have to confess I have never given a tip to the Hermes courier but then it depends whether you get a delivery close to Xmas I guess..... and if you always get the same one! I am less generous as well! I give a fiver to the postie and to the Waitrose man who delivers my weekly shop from the local store, and a tenner to the papergirl as she comes every day.

I am expecting a Decleor parcel but if it comes tomorrow I shall be out a lot so he may give it to my neighbour and I hope to avoid any further purchase until the 2017 YC collections. Perhaps I shall ferret out a fiver and keep it in the kitchen just in case. AndiK and pinkmoon, you have shamed me into action!!

I have to confess I have never given a tip to the Hermes courier but then it depends whether you get a delivery close to Xmas I guess..... and if you always get the same one! I am less generous as well! I give a fiver to the postie and to the Waitrose man who delivers my weekly shop from the local store, and a tenner to the papergirl as she comes every day.

I am expecting a Decleor parcel but if it comes tomorrow I shall be out a lot so he may give it to my neighbour and I hope to avoid any further purchase until the 2017 YC collections. Perhaps I shall ferret out a fiver and keep it in the kitchen just in case. AndiK and pinkmoon, you have shamed me into action!!

This is also interesting, thank you. You are right about timing - I would feel a bid bad not giving something to anyone who delivers a couple of days before Xmas, for example. In the case of Hermes, though, until recently my poor guy was coming 2-3 times a week (not just QVC) and, as I said, he is good. I am expecting the bareMinerals Auto Delivery this coming week so I want to get something ready. Not sure about the postie - I rarely see him/her and I gather from neighbours that they keep changing. If I'm up and about when they come, and I hear them, I will see if I can rush out and give them something. To be honest, I was thinking £5, especially if they are Xmas relief only.

Anyway, don't feel ashamed at all. I am sure these delivery guys are very happy with any gesture.

I haven't been on the board much this week but catching up today. I like to tip at Christmas give to the Hermes guy, he's great. Postie and bin men. I also make some home made sweets and have them by the door for ad hoc.

This year my DH has been in and out of hospital and we get the district nurse every day. They change a lot so not sure what's right for them. Thought about a hamper for their staff room? Any suggestions appreciated.

I haven't been on the board much this week but catching up today. I like to tip at Christmas give to the Hermes guy, he's great. Postie and bin men. I also make some home made sweets and have them by the door for ad hoc.

This year my DH has been in and out of hospital and we get the district nurse every day. They change a lot so not sure what's right for them. Thought about a hamper for their staff room? Any suggestions appreciated.

I like the personal touch of your home-made sweets. If only I were as domesticated! Oh yes, the bin men. Here, a few years ago, they got told to stop knocking on doors on the last collection day before Xmas (ostensibly to give us a leaflet about collections over the holidays, which they could have put through the letterbox!) and the council said in the paper we shouldn't tip any more (something to do with encouraging favouritism?? Really?)!

It's very difficult to know what to do for nurses. Apparently, they get so many tins of Quality Street, Roses, Heroes, etc as well as biscuits. If they have a party of any kind, could you offer a bottle of something nice (assuming alcohol is not prohibited)? I think there's at least one nurse or former nurse who posts on here - hopefully they can help?

I hope your husband is home and very well for Christmas.

The last people I would tip are the bin men. The rules and regulations regarding putting your bin out is now beyond a joke and boy do the little Hitlers enjoy enforcing them. The also replace the bin right in the middle of the driveway thus ensuring you have to get out of the car to get past it.

The last people I would tip are the bin men. The rules and regulations regarding putting your bin out is now beyond a joke and boy do the little Hitlers enjoy enforcing them. The also replace the bin right in the middle of the driveway thus ensuring you have to get out of the car to get past it.

Ha ha! Makes me laugh that they say not to leave wheelie bins obstructing the footpath but they seem to set them down near the lorry when they've finished emptying and then kick them in the rough direction of your house so they end up anywhere! They used to be brilliant when it was just a sack and they would take away anything you left next to it, but not now.

Totally agree with you. Our bin men are the most miserable sods you have ever set eyes on.I do feel a bit bad thinking this way about them though as I know our local council is implementing drastic cuts at the moment and their jobs are probably at risk. I think I would be miserable too if I were them. I have been in their position and it's not very nice.

Ours have been miserable gits over the last 30 years, I can honestly say they have never once been even approaching helpful or pleasant.

I can only dream of my bin being left in the middle of the driveway, it's usually abandoned 3 or 4 doors down the road.

My husband was a bin man in the metal bin days and loved the job. In the end he had to take ill health retirement because of the toll it took on his back. To be honest he felt it was time to give it up because the councils were coming down on them like a ton of bricks to implement their little Hitler changes.

Postage prices and delivery options are shocking in today's market!

Online shopping on most shops are cheaper and you can pick your delivery day and even time slot! I know many people who will not shop at QVC because of this!

Latest posts

Back