Random Musings and Critiques Etc.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

UNLOCKED was a labour of love in one sense, but mainly born from actual love. A close friend of mine owns a top-notch TV studio and has been an avid supported of what I do for years. He wanted to see me on a platform beyond shopping telly, so he created one for me! He basically pushed me to get off my backside, write some material, and show up... which I did.

We deliberately shot the show live, over several weeks, as a pilot series that we could shop around to broadcasters. It took on a life of its own though and, if we'd have a bit of backing, could have become a YouTube hit in its own right. It's gone but never forgotten. We learned a lot. We got a lot right. We got a lot wrong. There was much more we wanted to do but were limited by budget. However, we're just waiting for the right time (and resources) to bring it back, new and improved... and by popular demand, I hasten to add.

As for Shop on TV, we operate under a very different model. The team is small, focused, and 'elite'. We never waste resources beyond what is needed at each stage of our roadmap. That roadmap is, of course, top secret. What I can say is that, based on where we're at now, we're only 5% down the runway! Where we started was phase one. Freeview is phase two. You'll continue to see regular phases of innovation throughout the ensuing months and, hopefully, years.

There will be more presenters and guests, some new 'discoveries' and some trusted familiar faces. Our front-facing team has to the right fit for our ethos, about which we are very protective. As I always say, to be a 'HIT' we must embody the values of ‘Honesty. Integrity. Trust.’ That is the foundation of everything we do.

Freeview will be an extension of ITV/STV. There are, as you can imagine, limitations with only broadcasting for up to 3 hours per night. We also have physical and technical limitations at our London studio, which prevent us from demonstrating certain products and categories.

With Freeview, we have many more hours to play with. We also have a second, much larger and better-equipped studio, where we can fully spread our wings. You'll see more products on Freeview that won't make it to the ITV/STV broadcast, except as pre-recorded clips.

I hope this answers your questions. Sorry it's been a bit of an essay!
Thanks for the answers and details @RobLocke it's all very interesting.

The GOOD NEWS is Freeview Shop on TV, channel 89 is launched!

Watching it now at 2am and it's showing different (recorded?) content (Roofix roof repair), compared to ITV which is currently showing beauty products (MIE skincare).

Congratulations and GOOD LUCK!!!

UNLOCKED was a labour of love in one sense, but mainly born from actual love. A close friend of mine owns a top-notch TV studio and has been an avid supported of what I do for years. He wanted to see me on a platform beyond shopping telly, so he created one for me! He basically pushed me to get off my backside, write some material, and show up... which I did.

We deliberately shot the show live, over several weeks, as a pilot series that we could shop around to broadcasters. It took on a life of its own though and, if we'd have a bit of backing, could have become a YouTube hit in its own right. It's gone but never forgotten. We learned a lot. We got a lot right. We got a lot wrong. There was much more we wanted to do but were limited by budget. However, we're just waiting for the right time (and resources) to bring it back, new and improved... and by popular demand, I hasten to add.

As for Shop on TV, we operate under a very different model. The team is small, focused, and 'elite'. We never waste resources beyond what is needed at each stage of our roadmap. That roadmap is, of course, top secret. What I can say is that, based on where we're at now, we're only 5% down the runway! Where we started was phase one. Freeview is phase two. You'll continue to see regular phases of innovation throughout the ensuing months and, hopefully, years.

There will be more presenters and guests, some new 'discoveries' and some trusted familiar faces. Our front-facing team has to the right fit for our ethos, about which we are very protective. As I always say, to be a 'HIT' we must embody the values of ‘Honesty. Integrity. Trust.’ That is the foundation of everything we do.

Freeview will be an extension of ITV/STV. There are, as you can imagine, limitations with only broadcasting for up to 3 hours per night. We also have physical and technical limitations at our London studio, which prevent us from demonstrating certain products and categories.

With Freeview, we have many more hours to play with. We also have a second, much larger and better-equipped studio, where we can fully spread our wings. You'll see more products on Freeview that won't make it to the ITV/STV broadcast, except as pre-recorded clips.

I hope this answers your questions. Sorry it's been a bit of an essay!
Genuinely…What do you think of the reborn Ideal World? Or can you not say?

How did you manage to get Dave Bradford? I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I like him. He's old school with minimal bullshit but I thought he stuck to crafting these days. How did you tempt him back into other products?

How did you manage to get Dave Bradford? I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I like him. He's old school with minimal bullshit but I thought he stuck to crafting these days. How did you tempt him back into other products?

Oh nice, I didn't know he'd started doing some SoT work.

I sometimes put Hobby Maker on in the background of an evening while working (I don't like silence, and sometimes get bored of listening to music or find it too distracting while writing — IW mk2 filled that role, but dear god not IW mk3) and whenever he's on I'm struck by how measured, informative, and sincere he is. If he tells me stock is running low I actually believe him!

At first I thought it was just a craft channel thing (and to a degree it is) but a few of the other craft presenters lean more towards the pushy and insincere side. That guy doesn't.

Nice coup, SoT!

You simply cannot spend over two hours on two products and remotely entertain. Well, you can, as they did the other night. But I doubt you’ll retain more than a couple of insomniacs and a handful of sadomasochists as potential buyers along the way. A shammy (with that bloke from New Zealand who could be used as a torture method at Guantanamo Bay) and a cheap stick vacuum. Dave Bradford, steady pair of hands presenter as he is, is hardly going to distract from the product tedium with a few jokes and some witty career reminiscences, is he? Why so few products to fill the shows at this stage still? Lack of them still as the reason? Or has a conscious decision been made to focus on a small number of proven items and not to swamp the shows in numerous poor ones? A bit like the approach to the menu a decent restaurant takes?

You simply cannot spend over two hours on two products and remotely entertain. Well, you can, as they did the other night. But I doubt you’ll retain more than a couple of insomniacs and a handful of sadomasochists as potential buyers along the way. A shammy (with that bloke from New Zealand who could be used as a torture method at Guantanamo Bay) and a cheap stick vacuum. Dave Bradford, steady pair of hands presenter as he is, is hardly going to distract from the product tedium with a few jokes and some witty career reminiscences, is he? Why so few products to fill the shows at this stage still? Lack of them still as the reason? Or has a conscious decision been made to focus on a small number of proven items and not to swamp the shows in numerous poor ones? A bit like the approach to the menu a decent restaurant takes?
I totally agree! If I listed all the reasons why things are this way at the moment, it'd make War & Peace look like a quick read. However, behind the scenes, we are constantly focused on expanding the brand/product range in the near future, and for the long-term.

We had to start somewhere, with very little time to set things up. Now we're live, we've created a gluttonous beast that constantly needs feeding. After 6 months, we're barely 10% of the way towards the goals we have in motion to innovate both the channel and, I'm confident, the sector.

As our CEO keeps reminding me: Rome wasn't built in a day!

I totally agree! If I listed all the reasons why things are this way at the moment, it'd make War & Peace look like a quick read. However, behind the scenes, we are constantly focused on expanding the brand/product range in the near future, and for the long-term.

We had to start somewhere, with very little time to set things up. Now we're live, we've created a gluttonous beast that constantly needs feeding. After 6 months, we're barely 10% of the way towards the goals we have in motion to innovate both the channel and, I'm confident, the sector.

Who is the CEO?

I've been watching Dave (have had a hectic weekend so didn't catch him live) he is so professional, all of you are. I know 'Shayley' isn't liked by all but everyone they are on the ball and present all the information with the invented stories. Just personal anecdotes where relevant. Even with yourself Manic Mike Saint, the Padre of the puddings was great. I do want you and he to do that shopping TV gameshow. I couldn't sleep and was in stitches when Mike was 'mooning' us. Maybe instead of an overhead camera you should have 'Rob cam' like Susy Dents one she used for the dictionary on Countdown. You could give us a Rob's eye view of the soup

I've been watching Dave (have had a hectic weekend so didn't catch him live) he is so professional, all of you are. I know 'Shayley' isn't liked by all but everyone they are on the ball and present all the information with the invented stories. Just personal anecdotes where relevant. Even with yourself Manic Mike Saint, the Padre of the puddings was great. I do want you and he to do that shopping TV gameshow. I couldn't sleep and was in stitches when Mike was 'mooning' us. Maybe instead of an overhead camera you should have 'Rob cam' like Susy Dents one she used for the dictionary on Countdown. You could give us a Rob's eye view of the soup
Manic Mike Saint with Rob is right.

I found the interplay and unfunny Dad-type jokes around the stick blender hard going. And he repeated everything Rob said that he didn't understand.

Suggest you don't immediately verbalise every comment or joke that pops into your head. It all was getting a bit David Brent, in a bad way! Overfamiliar with your tv mate.

Latest posts

Back