Red carpet manicure

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I can only grow my nails if I use RCM. Without it, my nails are brittle and flaky. I did have to have a break of a few months recently after 20 months of use as my nails had become too flaky but have restarted and everything is fine now.

I can only grow my nails if I use RCM. Without it, my nails are brittle and flaky. I did have to have a break of a few months recently after 20 months of use as my nails had become too flaky but have restarted and everything is fine now.

Do you use a cuticle oil?

I'm making sure to treat my cuticles even with my Shellac on. It helps. It's not infallible, as I think if your nails are naturally weaker or problematic, it's very difficult to permanently transform them.

I like the fact that my Shellac means I look more groomed. My nails can't grow to any great length, and I don't know if I could cope if they did, but the bright polish (the shine is unbeatable) gives me a boost every time I look at my hands. It's a pleasure I couldn't really get with normal nail varnishes, which flake off after less than a day if I do it myself.

Yes I use cuticle oil in the daytime and hand cream overnight. Using RCM has totally transformed my nails. Love it. Recently been wearing a beige colour which allows me to wear all colour combinations. Will change to coral over the next few days

Your nails sound the same as mine ILS, I wouldn't be without RCM now. Ages ago a lovely forum member suggested just using base and top coat RCM and over painting with regular colour varnish, this method works really well for me. :mysmilie_

Does anyone know if Shellac is bad for the nails? It's stopping me biting them so I want to carry on with it. I thought it must be better than artificial nails.

Advice, please xx

Everyone is different, as long as you look after them whilst it is on, use cuticle oil and always have it removed properly and don't pick at it then you stand a better chance of it being ok!

I'm currently using and enjoying Shellac. It is less thick than other gels, and feels just like normal nail varnish. It comes off with some acetone nail varnish removers - you do still need to do the wrap in foil mallarkey.

Normally if I get a standard manicure, it lasts me a couple of days when done professionally. I'm getting 3 weeks out of Shellac, even doing the washing up without gloves. For the first time ever, I am really able to get some length on my nails - not masses, as my nails are a nightmare - they bend, they break, they flake. I dare say I will need to take a break from it at some point, to let my nails breathe, but for summer, I'm loving it!

That is because Shellac is a hybrid, part gel, part polish, it is not completely gel.

Thanks for all of your comments.

I have it professionally removed/applied every 3 weeks. The technician gave me strict advice not to pick it off - no matter how tempting it was! I find adding a top coat stops me being able to do this.

The only thing I don't like is the regrowth but this is obviously unavoidable.

I'm very bad at applying the oil - I thought it was removing the gel near the cuticle but I don't think that was the case. I must get into the habit of applying it regularly.

Because I can't bite my nails, I'm getting out of the habit of wanting to.

Thanks for all of your comments.

I have it professionally removed/applied every 3 weeks. The technician gave me strict advice not to pick it off - no matter how tempting it was! I find adding a top coat stops me being able to do this.

The only thing I don't like is the regrowth but this is obviously unavoidable.

I'm very bad at applying the oil - I thought it was removing the gel near the cuticle but I don't think that was the case. I must get into the habit of applying it regularly.

Because I can't bite my nails, I'm getting out of the habit of wanting to.

It's not cheap, but I can heartily recommend the L'Occitane Shea cuticle oil. It's a tube with a built in brush, so you can really wiggle it into the nooks and crannies of your cuticles (which if they are initially dry will definitely be there)... I usually end up massaging it in then immediately following up with a good handcream (often but not always L'Occitane shea butter). I've found it really helped keep my cuticles from drying out and growing up my nails.

I have finally had time to put on the Sensational nail shield before applying the red carpet gel varnish. Will let you know how long the gel lasts. The point of the nail shield is that you can remove the gel without having to soak your nails in acetone and can just lift the polish off.

I love rcm. It stays put when nothing else does. I used it regularly for about 2-3 months last winter and was shocked when my nails suddenly objected. The nail bed turned white and dry half way up the nail and I stopped immediately. I had to wear regular polish to hide the mess. They eventually recovered and I'm wearing it now for the first time since February but I don't dare wear it regularly any more. I followed the instructions but think the prep may be very drying and might skip that next time.

RCM is now available in Marks and Spencer. So keep an eye out for the 20% off Beauty which happens regularly

They are also selling Leighton Denny's Top That - which is a gel UV cured topcoat you can apply over your normal nail colours to get the hardwearing-ness of gels.

It's pricey (£79) but I'm tempted, as I've lots of lovely normal polishes I would like to use.

For now, due to beautician non-availability, I am shellac free.

I bought the Sensational soak-off and it's pretty rubbish.

I'm currently trying out my Microcell try me kit to see whether that has a positive effect on the strength of my nails.

I suspect that with any long-term wear product, you are best to take a break from time to time... but I think you can minimise any negative effect by continuing to nourish your cuticles with a good quality handcream and cuticle oil... and welcome the regrowth as positive, as this part of your nail is protected by the gel further up, but open to be nourished and moisturised.

They are also selling Leighton Denny's Top That - which is a gel UV cured topcoat you can apply over your normal nail colours to get the hardwearing-ness of gels.

It's pricey (£79) but I'm tempted, as I've lots of lovely normal polishes I would like to use..

But you can use your normal nail varnishes under the clear RCM top coat - so not really sure why LD'a stuff would be needed ?

But you can use your normal nail varnishes under the clear RCM top coat - so not really sure why LD'a stuff would be needed ?

If I understood the RCM presentations correctly, you need to use the RCM basecoat as well as the top coat. LD's is top coat only for the same effect.

I used to love the UV cured gels, but then i got bored with the phaff.
Also ended up painting a change of colour on top, and disliking the gap as the nail grew up.

I now use 2 coats of perfect manicure (any colour) on my naked nail, and top it with 2 coats of any nail varnish.

Lasts fabulously, and I have just spent a few days sanding down my front door and frame, reglazing it, painted frame and revarnished door, complete with drilling for door knocker and replacing the old letterbox. My 8 day old manicure is scuffed and scraped, but my nails are unbroken, with up to a centimetre of white on them.

I am astonished and delighted :mysmilie_8:

Perfect Formula doesn't last on me at all sadly, it can peel off on the same day if I've had a bath.

I have Leighton Denny's Top That and the lamp as well and it's not a patch on RCM. I trained as a nail technician and despite trying it many times I find it lasts no longer than normal polish. It dulls and wears at the tips.
RCM is much much better, stays shiny and doesn't wear for weeks, in fact I get bored of the colours and change them before they need to be.

I have removed the Sensationnail nail shields. They lasted 5 days and then some started lifting at the free edge but I did spend all day Sunday cleaning albeit with rubber gloves but using very hot water. I peeled them off yesterday evening. My nails are in much better condition having not been soaking in acetone to remove the gel.
I may have got more days out of them if I had recapped my nails with the top coat. I don't think I quite got the application right when I filed them down to fit the nail. I will try again tonight if I have time. 5 days isn't bad as there was some re growth visible and after 5 days I am bored with the colour anyway.

I'm currently using Microcell and being far more careful than I was before with using rubber gloves for washing up.

I'm taking an enforced break from Shellac (beautician off sick).

I had 2 nails with a bit of peeling layers, but they haven't got any worse. This is something that happens to me regularly, all on my left hand (I'm left-handed) so nothing to do with the Shellac or Microcell.

I'm still weighing up whether to go for a BlueSky set on Amazon (the CND dupe) or just wait for my beautician to get back.

I won't bother with the Top That based on Sevenfootsam's verdict. But I'm still holding fire on RCM until I've seen prices and what's included in any TSV set.

Latest posts

Back