Revitalash

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I use Mavala Doublelash, £10 from Boots. Works for me on brows and lashes although took weeks to see a difference. Followed it up with Eylure Dylash tint, make lashes look even longer cos the ends of mine usually go fair, this makes them show up right to the tips!:mysmilie_14:

I must admit I am getting fed up seeing this on QVC and the more I see it the more the guest gets on my nerves!!!

You and me both! I think the guest should do something about her overgrown brows,imo they do not look attractive.

I use Careprost (glaucoma drops) that I buy several bottles at a time from ADC in India. The postage is quite high so by buying in a group, we cut costs. All of us have seen fab results. I also get Retinol there for a few quid.

I use Careprost (glaucoma drops) that I buy several bottles at a time from ADC in India. The postage is quite high so by buying in a group, we cut costs. All of us have seen fab results. I also get Retinol there for a few quid.

Don't know if I like the idea of buying over the counter from an overseas source although I assume you did some thorough research beforehand

I'm not sure it's safe to use glaucoma drops if you don't have glaucoma. I'd run it past a GP first, who I expect would say the same.

I don't (but I may be wrong) think people use them as drops in their eyes, they use them with a cotton bud along the lashes , like the stuff they advertise on Le Q, or dropper them on their eyelids. Apparently though it seems if you use these things too long they can have some dodgy side effects, including permanently changing the colour of your eyes :sweat:. The stuff they sell specifically for the job has no doubt been more refined etc and will have to have been tested for safety.

Personally I don't know why anyone would buy something from halfway round the world, when you can't be sure what's in it, and put it in your eyes just to grow thicker eyelashes.

I wouldn't want to spend fifty odd squids on something from LeQ to do it either but that's a different matter.

Last edited:
IMO you only have one set of eyes , so sticking prescription stuff in or on them bought from another continent without a prescription, for the sake of vanity is irresponsible. I have my own set of eye problems and have firstly come to respect the need to look after them, and secondly come to respect the advice and treatment my ophthalmologist gives me. Don't mess with your eyes, you can't get replacements.

Interesting article from the daily mail yesterday,the model who is known for her beautiful eyes uses vaseline to thicken her lashes.
Lynn

I've used Vaseline on my lashes every night since I was 13 and it's kept them in condition, but not helped them grow.

The Careprost is the generic in Allergan's Latisse (£125 a tube last time I looked!). ADC have an excellent track record, I've used them for various bits and bobs for years, though I now buy in a group from MUA because their postage rates have more than quadrupled (even I wasn't brave enough to try it until other group members had used it with success and no ill effects). I apply very sparingly with a bent eyeliner brush (from Justbeautydirect) and have sat back and watched in wonder as my lashes have grown so much they now brush the lens on my sunglasses! It's also worked wonders filling out my brows (thank you thyroid disease!). I use very little as some had noticed a faint purplish discolouration if they applied too high on the lid. I'd also read that glaucoma sufferers had noticed their eyes darkening (wish my insipid blues would darken to a rich, chocolate brown!!) after using the drops, but have not heard of any external use causing this.

There are a large number of ladies using this in our group and I was one of the last to join, so yes, I sat back and read about their experiences and researched both the product and ADC (though, as I said, I'd used them for years anyway) for a long time before dipping my toes. I'm very pleased with the results, more so because I haven't felt ripped off by the ridiculous prices these companies have the cheek to charge (I paid £4 for the last few bottles).

Just FYI for anyone using any form of lash growth is to give it a break for a few months after maximum growth seems to have been reached. Every single person I know using them (including myself when I used to use Talika - also good, but nowhere near as good as Careprost) has come to a point where the product has run out of steam, so to speak. After a few months break where lashes have returned to normal, though, another course has done the trick.

Anyone on a budget may want to try good old castor oil first. I used this before trying the commercial products and found it thickened (rather than lengthened) my lashes and brows quite well - I had to use it for a few months before I really noticed a difference, but noticed it more when I stopped using it and my lashes/brows returned to normal. It conditioned them like nothing else, too.

Lynn - is that your dog? He's lovely :)

The thing is though, even if a drug is bought from a trustworthy source and the drug is a genuine one - if you buy it and just start using without any kind if professional advice it it can potentially be dangerous.

When a drug is prescribed by a professional they take into account many things, such as existing medical conditions or other medication taken, to ensure that particular drug isn't contraindicated, and is therefore as safe as it can be. They also weigh any possible side effects with its benefits depending on what it was prescribed for. No one does this when you buy something from the internet from India do they?

Looking at the British National Formulary (the drugs 'bible' in this country) Bimatoprost, the drug you are talking about (Careprost is a brandname) has numerous side effects listed, including exacerbation of asthma and exacerbation of angina. It's also stated that it should not be used whilst pregnant or breastfeeding or whilst taking certain other drugs. Now of course you may well have looked into things like this, but other people may not, they just see it can give you nice eyelashes and they go ahead and use it. Using potent chemicals without the advice of a professional can potentially be very harmful, which is the exact reason why in this country if a product is not considered safe for people to use without medical guidance, it's not available to buy over the counter, and that's why I think the purchase and use of any drug without proper professional advice and assessment is wrong, and as such shouldn't be promoted.

Last edited:
The thing is though, even if a drug is bought from a trustworthy source and the drug is a genuine one - if you buy it and just start using without any kind if professional advice it it can potentially be dangerous.

When a drug is prescribed by a professional they take into account many things, such as existing medical conditions or other medication taken, to ensure that particular drug isn't contraindicated, and is therefore as safe as it can be. They also weigh any possible side effects with its benefits depending on what it was prescribed for. No one does this when you buy something from the internet from India do they?

Looking at the British National Formulary (the drugs 'bible' in this country) Bimatoprost, the drug you are talking about (Careprost is a brandname) has numerous side effects listed, including exacerbation of asthma and exacerbation of angina. It's also stated that it should not be used whilst pregnant or breastfeeding or whilst taking certain other drugs. Now of course you may well have looked into things like this, but other people may not, they just see it can give you nice eyelashes and they go ahead and use it. Using potent chemicals without the advice of a professional can potentially be very harmful, which is the exact reason why in this country if a product is not considered safe for people to use without medical guidance, it's not available to buy over the counter, and that's why I think the purchase and use of any drug without proper professional advice and assessment is wrong, and as such shouldn't be promoted.

Er, you are also aware that Bimatoprost is THE listed ingredient at THE listed percentage in OTC Latisse/Lumigan and MyLash then? The only difference between the £5 Care/Bimatoprost and the £100+ Latisse is that you get 30 cheap eyeliner-type brushes to apply (IMO, these brushes allow you to apply twice as much as you need - a good fine eyeliner brush is far better as it allows precise application)! Or you could pay double that for a course applied by a clinic - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ricks-Botox-eyelashes--glaucoma-medicine.html

Just thought I'd save the ladies interested a few bucks. Most people (certainly all here) would have access to Google where they could find all the info they need to decide whether to be ripped off just for the sake of having an included applicator/brush. Allergan, Bimatoprost's manufacturer have their fingers in all sorts of cosmetic pies, including Botox. They've been quick enough to market medical products as cosmetics and charge through the nose for it.

I've used Vaseline on my lashes every night since I was 13 and it's kept them in condition, but not helped them grow.

The Careprost is the generic in Allergan's Latisse (£125 a tube last time I looked!). ADC have an excellent track record, I've used them for various bits and bobs for years, though I now buy in a group from MUA because their postage rates have more than quadrupled (even I wasn't brave enough to try it until other group members had used it with success and no ill effects). I apply very sparingly with a bent eyeliner brush (from Justbeautydirect) and have sat back and watched in wonder as my lashes have grown so much they now brush the lens on my sunglasses! It's also worked wonders filling out my brows (thank you thyroid disease!). I use very little as some had noticed a faint purplish discolouration if they applied too high on the lid. I'd also read that glaucoma sufferers had noticed their eyes darkening (wish my insipid blues would darken to a rich, chocolate brown!!) after using the drops, but have not heard of any external use causing this.

There are a large number of ladies using this in our group and I was one of the last to join, so yes, I sat back and read about their experiences and researched both the product and ADC (though, as I said, I'd used them for years anyway) for a long time before dipping my toes. I'm very pleased with the results, more so because I haven't felt ripped off by the ridiculous prices these companies have the cheek to charge (I paid £4 for the last few bottles).

Just FYI for anyone using any form of lash growth is to give it a break for a few months after maximum growth seems to have been reached. Every single person I know using them (including myself when I used to use Talika - also good, but nowhere near as good as Careprost) has come to a point where the product has run out of steam, so to speak. After a few months break where lashes have returned to normal, though, another course has done the trick.

Anyone on a budget may want to try good old castor oil first. I used this before trying the commercial products and found it thickened (rather than lengthened) my lashes and brows quite well - I had to use it for a few months before I really noticed a difference, but noticed it more when I stopped using it and my lashes/brows returned to normal. It conditioned them like nothing else, too.

Lynn - is that your dog? He's lovely :)

OMG I've just paid £60 for a bottle of Careprost. How can I get it for £4? Are you sure it's genuine?

Funny there was a blog on a site I visit about these sort of products(Irish one). The woman said the only one which does work is the Lasstisse because of some ingredient. Infact it was created for cancer suffers to help their lashes grow back(as said in the post above) and is prescription only for a reason. The others on the market are copycats of it, but cannot use the same ingredient without calling themselves a drug. They are classed as vanity products.

I actually use Bimataprost (Lumigan) eye drops on prescription because I have glaucoma in both eyes, these are used to lower the pressure in the eye. They do make your lashes grow longer and thicker BUT mine now also grow quite clumpy and kinked which is not a good look, they grow in all directions. They also made my eyelids itchy and discoloured reddy-purple, so again not ideal as I look ill/tired and not to mention the bloodshot eye look. I can hide the eyelid problem with concealer but fighting with wonky clumpy eyelashes is not much fun when trying to put mascara on! Obviously despite all this I can't complain as they do control the eye pressure so this means the glaucoma is under control, clumpy eyelashes is a small price to pay to keep my eyesight!

I knew that the Allergan co were going to promote the ingredient in Lumigan as eyelash booster but I didn't realise you could buy it, is it really the same stuff as the eye drops? I would be wary as the side effects/contra-indications for bimataprost could potentially be quite serious, my leaflet suggests - raised blood pressure/eye problems/asthma and breathing probs/loads more that I can't remember (the box is upstairs and I'm too lazy to go and get it!) but I'm sure it can be googled.

Slightly off at a tangent I've just had a full set of lash extensions done with a Groupon coupon for £14! They look fab and so far none have fallen out. Depending on how they last I might keep them going with top-ups. I would say that the fumes from the adhesive sting so maybe if you have sensitive eyes it wouldn't suit.

Jude xx

I actually use Bimataprost (Lumigan) eye drops on prescription because I have glaucoma in both eyes, these are used to lower the pressure in the eye. They do make your lashes grow longer and thicker BUT mine now also grow quite clumpy and kinked which is not a good look, they grow in all directions. They also made my eyelids itchy and discoloured reddy-purple, so again not ideal as I look ill/tired and not to mention the bloodshot eye look. I can hide the eyelid problem with concealer but fighting with wonky clumpy eyelashes is not much fun when trying to put mascara on! Obviously despite all this I can't complain as they do control the eye pressure so this means the glaucoma is under control, clumpy eyelashes is a small price to pay to keep my eyesight!

I knew that the Allergan co were going to promote the ingredient in Lumigan as eyelash booster but I didn't realise you could buy it, is it really the same stuff as the eye drops? I would be wary as the side effects/contra-indications for bimataprost could potentially be quite serious, my leaflet suggests - raised blood pressure/eye problems/asthma and breathing probs/loads more that I can't remember (the box is upstairs and I'm too lazy to go and get it!) but I'm sure it can be googled.

Most of my family are glaucoma sufferers and have ALL said the same thing about great eyelash growth to start with, then the annoying kinks. Unfortunately, they all have to keep using it. I use mine sparingly, making sure I don't stray from the lashline and give at least a month's break every 6 weeks or so. I haven't noticed kinks/clumping yet and also lost the discolouration when I toned down the amount I was using.

I have two cousins living in the US and both order the Careprost from ADC (along with other px meds, including the Pill - neither have become pregnant yet!) due to the horrendous cost of medicines over there. What's worse is that they pay $stupid for insurance that only covers generics like Careprost that still sets them back a fortune.

One of my cousins was having trouble applying the drops - always ended up with sore eyes because she couldn't control the drops. Her doctor (who also checked out the ADC stuff and proclaimed it safe) suggested an old-fashioned glass eye-dropper (just a plain glass stick, not one with a rubber bulb on the end) so she drips some on the stick then holds it over her eye. Sounds a bit of a fiddle but I watched her do it when we stayed with her and she does it in seconds. Any left on the dropper goes back in the amber bottle which collects the excess so she can also use that. I asked her why she didn't just transfer all the drops into the glass bottle but she said she'd never got round to it because she's so quick with her method anyway.

Yes, it is the same stuff. Allergan were quick enough to notice the side effects (as they were with medical botox) and applied for it to be cosmetically graded.

Well I have to report that I have used for over 3 weeks & its most impressive. My eyelashes are much thicker & longer & mascara looks great.

Well I have to report that I have used for over 3 weeks & its most impressive. My eyelashes are much thicker & longer & mascara looks great.

I've also been using Revitalash for 3 weeks and agree that the results are impressive. I'm using it on my top and bottom lashes. I'm blonde so my eyelashes are 'invisible' unless I use mascara, but when I put it on now the improvement in the length and thickness is clear to see.

I've also bought more from eBay (a lot cheaper than it was from QVC) so that I don't run out.

Latest posts

Back