Ripping-off Refunds

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lennyboy

Registered Shopper
My Mum returned over 20 items in one package with RM next day last December. She received email from Gems early January confirming receipt of return package.
In February Mum finally received refunds for everything except for one item, a platinum diamond ring which Gems return team insisted wasn't in package. She emailed them that item was definitely in the box as she remembers placing it and return form in box shortly before posting.
Next followed a series of emails between Mum and Gems with her insisting in strong terms that it was in package and them insisting she kept the ring (as if anyone would keep a damaged ring!) They must have lost the ring enroute to their warehouse and not willing to own up. She then found out that Gems had auctioned the same ring and only the one, two weeks later. In the end she never received a refund for her returned item.
I am quite upset for the way that company treated Mum who bought loads from them over the years.
Quite angry Gems is ripping off my mum due to their incompetence. Has anyone else experience this?

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mum returned over 20 items in one package with RM next day last December. She received email from Gems early January confirming receipt of return package.
In February Mum finally received refunds for everything except for one item, a platinum diamond ring which Gems return team insisted wasn't in package. She emailed them that item was definitely in the box as she remembers placing it and return form in box shortly before posting.
Next followed a series of emails between Mum and Gems with her insisting in strong terms that it was in package and them insisting she kept the ring (as if anyone would keep a damaged ring!) They must have lost the ring enroute to their warehouse and not willing to own up. She then found out that Gems had auctioned the same ring and only the one, two weeks later. In the end she never received a refund for her returned item.
I am quite upset for the way that company treated Mum who bought loads from them over the years.
Quite angry Gems is ripping off my mum due to their incompetence. Has anyone else experience this?
Gordon Bennett that's shocking!

The first part is bad but I can see how it happens

The second part is inexcusable why are they still not refunding your Mum despite the undisputable evidence of the ring being re-sold?

Imo your Mum is due much more than just a refund

How many pieces of her ring were made? If they only made one, or only one in her size, then they had to have resold the same piece. The question is what to do about that. I'd contact Citizen's Advice for guidance.

It definitely was mum's returned ring Gems sold even though they sold it one size smaller because she complained it was tight on her.

I'd be sending a formal letter before court action notifying them that if they don't provide a full refund within the next 14 days, you'll commence action against them in the Small Claims Court.
Thanks, will tell mum about this idea. How should she word letter?
Len

Probably a daft question, but just to cover all the bases. Did she send the items with Royal Mail's insured post? If so, she might be able to claim from them if she had the right insurance. The one I use for multiple items is their next day signed for - it used to be called registered and I usually make sure the insurance amount for that post covers what I paid for the jewellery. It usually costs somewhere between 6 and 10 quid. Pricey, but I have never really trusted Gems or Royal Mail. It's worth a try but if it is one item out of the parcel it might be hard to argue. Did you keep a note of the date and time they showed the piece and re-sold it? Did you by any, hopeful, chance record it?

Hi
Thanks for your suggestion, mum didn't get recording of resale of item but a friend working there (left now) got date, time and price of item resale. Will that help?

Hi
Thanks for your suggestion, mum didn't get recording of resale of item but a friend working there (left now) got date, time and price of item resale. Will that help?
Of course IF they feel the need to check those details they will see all the proof they need

Ok, so I would write to Gemporia. Keep a copy, send it recorded delivery and tell them you know the item was re-sold and give them the time and the date. I would tell them you are considering legal action and that you are quite prepared to go to court over this, plus talk to the media. (Local papers, consumer TV programmes etc.) I would talk to Citizens Advice, I would also look into small claims court procedures. I would also have a chat with royal mail and claim from them in the meantime.

Also, ask Mum if she paid with a credit card. She might have extra protections if she paid with a credit card.

Latest posts

Back