Salon Brands

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
Is it possible that the big "presteeeeeeeege" salon brands are witholding stock from places that are likely to sell it much cheaper. In a similar was to Molton Brown I guess. I'm curious because I'm noticing that it seems to be getting harder to find some brands in places that I used to be able to buy from - ebay and other websites etc. I often wondered if they consider those sorts of outlets as being damaging to their 'brand image'? Even QVC seems to have less now than usual. Perhaps they want to keep to their own salons as they can sell it with a much higher markup. Gatineau, Elemis and Decleor especially but also Philosophy and A'kin. They are all beginning to price themselves out of the market, or my market at any rate. I can't afford these lines now and am finding better products for less money on the high street (thanks to fellow forumites!). There's very little value in QVC now.

marketing:
sell cheap get people hooked
develop brand and presteeeeggggeee and slowly bring up prices
in acordance with telling customers about the exclusivity of the products, the luxury feeling yo get from using it, the exclusivity and scarcity of the sourced materials, the lifestyle choice you make in choosing this product as opposed to another, promoting emotional wellbeing of having Mrs Smith from next door seing the products on your bathroom shelf ( in the guest bathroom of course!)

Hubby and I are fairly new to QVC, coming up to our 1st year anniversary of our first purchase :glass: :clapping: :beer: :grin: :cake: We had access to it for quite a few years in our satellite package but I avoided it because I thought having access to shopping in the house was possibly dangerous :wink: It has been but not so much with QVC as with another channel that shall remain nameless to protect my own stupidity :blush:. Anyway I bought mostly jewellery and have luckily calmed down.

However I turned my eye towards QVC's skincare brands as my skin has been extremely problemsome for a very long time and I was at my wit's end. Alpha H caught my eye and I have bought some from this range based on the shows and the good advice from those on this site. Up to now I purchased mainly well known national, international and store brands from Superdrug, Boots, various supermarkets. The QVC salon brands like Elemis, Decleor, LIz Earle, Gatinaeu
sound good but do seem to be quite expensive (if they deliver on their promise and work then great) to me. I feel a bit as if I must be out of the loop because I find the pots, bottles and tubes to be quite small for the price.

I was considering an Elemis purchase this morning when I checked on the website for the size and it was 30ml. It may be an industry standard but I thought if it were 50ml (also a standard size), it would still be expensive but maybe a little more acceptable esecially if it gives a person the desired result. I know that they say only use a little like a pea sized amount but sometimes that doesn't quite cover it. I know a little goes a long way and maybe something actually does last the 2-3 months the brand reps and Alison say they will. When I used some Estee Lauder a long time ago -- an acne range which worked for me and lasted forever -- it was expensive but delivered (at least for me). Had to give up EL when we hit a financial road bump. So I went onto the more commercial brands.

I wonder what I have been missing. My skin has been just awful and my skincare regime fell apart because I was afraid to use anything. Sometimes something would work for a while and then all h*ll would break out. I probably made it worse by not staying with something long enough to see if it worked. But when you become desperate and discouraged you start switching (or at least I did) around, changing brands, trying anything. Like I said probably made my skin flare up worse due to this.

So back to the premium salon ranges on QVC. They seem so enticing and I would love to try them but they do seem pricey. The Alpha H range has given me some hope as well as the Tova Cactine Masque that I starting using before I went for the Alpha range. Alpha H seems a bit better priced IMO for the sizes offered.

I guess it's all in what you can or want to afford and if you get the results you are seeking. You would think that everything would be on easy pays especially these days.

Oh just one question: Is the Elemis Skin Nourishing Milk Bath (Anniversary Edition) 500ml really worth £48?! Does it turn hard water into ass' milk worthy of Cleopatra? (Sorry if anyone here loves it). I thought Badedas was expensive at £5 per litre. :devil:

:mysmilie_365:

:mysmilie_504:

lol I was thinking exactly the same thing about the Elemis Skin Nourishing Milk Bath (Anniversary Edition)!! I love the stuff, but it does nothing for me in the bath, I use it as a body lotion. You can buy it at really good prices on the bay, so basically if I were to plump for this, I would basically be paying £48 for a (albeit pretty) glass bottle into which I would decant my ill-gotten gains from the unofficial QVC outlet!! :giggle:

lol I was thinking exactly the same thing about the Elemis Skin Nourishing Milk Bath (Anniversary Edition)!! I love the stuff, but it does nothing for me in the bath, I use it as a body lotion. You can buy it at really good prices on the bay, so basically if I were to plump for this, I would basically be paying £48 for a (albeit pretty) glass bottle into which I would decant my ill-gotten gains from the unofficial QVC outlet!! :giggle:

I agree the bottle is pretty and I was tempted but :bandit: 48 for a bottle ouch! I recently went a little crazy on Yankee Doodle and need to rein the spending in before my credit card melts :giggle:

I know that some of the brands are expensive compared to mass market ones in Boots, Superdrug etc. though not that different if you're buying Clarins, Lancome, Estee Lauder etc.
But the one great advantage, for me, when spending so much is that with QVC you can at least try it out for the 30 days & send it back if it isn't what you hoped.

Unless you're sporting an actual angry red rash, or some other obvious calamatous manifestation, I've found you don't get such a good reception from some of the consultants on counter if you try to get your money back in store. Even then you really have to return it within days, virtually unused, not after a month.

That's a great point Breeze about the 30 day MBG that I forgot to mention. I don't really think you can return much of anything unless there's a fault or real adverse reaction to a personal product like skin care. And even then you'd probably have to go to a higher authority at management level to explain the problem.

Last edited:
Hubby and I are fairly new to QVC, coming up to our 1st year anniversary of our first purchase :glass: :clapping: :beer: :grin: :cake: We had access to it for quite a few years in our satellite package but I avoided it because I thought having access to shopping in the house was possibly dangerous :wink: It has been but not so much with QVC as with another channel that shall remain nameless to protect my own stupidity :blush:. Anyway I bought mostly jewellery and have luckily calmed down.

However I turned my eye towards QVC's skincare brands as my skin has been extremely problemsome for a very long time and I was at my wit's end. Alpha H caught my eye and I have bought some from this range based on the shows and the good advice from those on this site. Up to now I purchased mainly well known national, international and store brands from Superdrug, Boots, various supermarkets. The QVC salon brands like Elemis, Decleor, LIz Earle, Gatinaeu
sound good but do seem to be quite expensive (if they deliver on their promise and work then great) to me. I feel a bit as if I must be out of the loop because I find the pots, bottles and tubes to be quite small for the price.

I was considering an Elemis purchase this morning when I checked on the website for the size and it was 30ml. It may be an industry standard but I thought if it were 50ml (also a standard size), it would still be expensive but maybe a little more acceptable esecially if it gives a person the desired result. I know that they say only use a little like a pea sized amount but sometimes that doesn't quite cover it. I know a little goes a long way and maybe something actually does last the 2-3 months the brand reps and Alison say they will. When I used some Estee Lauder a long time ago -- an acne range which worked for me and lasted forever -- it was expensive but delivered (at least for me). Had to give up EL when we hit a financial road bump. So I went onto the more commercial brands.

I wonder what I have been missing. My skin has been just awful and my skincare regime fell apart because I was afraid to use anything. Sometimes something would work for a while and then all h*ll would break out. I probably made it worse by not staying with something long enough to see if it worked. But when you become desperate and discouraged you start switching (or at least I did) around, changing brands, trying anything. Like I said probably made my skin flare up worse due to this.

So back to the premium salon ranges on QVC. They seem so enticing and I would love to try them but they do seem pricey. The Alpha H range has given me some hope as well as the Tova Cactine Masque that I starting using before I went for the Alpha range. Alpha H seems a bit better priced IMO for the sizes offered.

I guess it's all in what you can or want to afford and if you get the results you are seeking. You would think that everything would be on easy pays especially these days.

Oh just one question: Is the Elemis Skin Nourishing Milk Bath (Anniversary Edition) 500ml really worth £48?! Does it turn hard water into ass' milk worthy of Cleopatra? (Sorry if anyone here loves it). I thought Badedas was expensive at £5 per litre. :devil:

:mysmilie_365:

:mysmilie_504:

i have the same problems with skin care. i have used most of the qvc ranges but have found in the quest for luxury that these brands use ott ingredents that ia all honesty do very little in the antiageing department and sometimes bring you even more skin concerns.
alpha-h is my hero product it does what it says it will but does not have the kudos of the fancy packaging and perfume that elemis or decleor have.

Latest posts

Back