Spackle (and other primers)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MinxyKitten

Registered Shopper
Is Spackle any good for oily skin? I did order the tinted version years ago but returned it as it left my skin too shiny. I am wondering if this was just the tinted version. Does anyone recommend a primer that leaves your skin matte? I used to use Ultrasun Face 30 which was an amazing primer, but left my skin pasty looking. I now use the tinted version of this but it's not as matte...my search continues!

Never used Spackle so no idea. But I know most brands will do different version primers, brightening, mat for oily skin, radiance etc.

I do know Smashbox does one for oily skin for sure. They are widely available in most large Boots now, so if near one ask for a sample. In fact Boots No7 might even do their own primers. Bare Minerals does different primers, QVC might only sell the original?? Primers are suppose to help foundation stay on longer, but also blur pores and lines etc.

The Ultra Sun it will be the actual SPF which makes the skin ghost like.

No7 Matte Make Up Base, if you want matte then that's the one for you! (I'd recommend well moisturising your face before hand though, it is what it says - a base, not one of these multi tasking primers that is a moisturiser/primer/pore disguiser/etc all in one)

Contains salicylic acid too, which is always a bonus.

I didn't know Smashbox was in Boots now? That's handy to know! I like the sound of the No.7 one. I use the tinted Face 30 as my day moisturiser/spf so am looking for a matte base to go over that before my foundation. I am actually near a big Boots tomorrow. Thanks both :)

I didn't know Smashbox was in Boots now? That's handy to know! I like the sound of the No.7 one. I use the tinted Face 30 as my day moisturiser/spf so am looking for a matte base to go over that before my foundation. I am actually near a big Boots tomorrow. Thanks both :)

Good luck with your quest to find something suitable! Skincare/make up is such trial and error isn't it, must've wasted so much money over the years on things I've bought and only used once.
Anyway, there's another No7 primer that reduces shine but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me! Have a good browse. I also know Rimmel do a matte primer that's supposed to be a good budget option, but I haven't tried it myself.

Slightly off topic as I do not have oily skin, but I have been using M&S primers recently and get on OK with them . They do two in the autograph range. One is in a tube and looks the same consistency as Smashbox and one is in a pump and is very like Mac's. I got them on 3 for 2 some time ago. The pump one is better value as it is twice the size of the tube for the same price, but I preferred the tube.

Thanks Ellaaa, I'll have a look at the Rimmel one too. Next time I am in Marks I will also check theirs out to see if they have one that matifies, thanks Mazza. M&S would be my preference due to the leaping bunny. In fact, I may pop out today. Am on a mission now!!

I was just showing hubby the Tsv (he wandered through the kitchen and heard the presentation. Normally he scoffs but as he is a tech geek and just bought a similar item, he stopped to listen!) I was explaining that the main reason I use Q is for the 30 day mbg. I love being able to use something and being able to return if not suitable. This is especially true with make up and skincare. But, as Boots and M&S are cheap enough anyway, I'll happily give them a go.

I swear by Benefit's Porefessional. It also disguises the fine lines and even makes deeper wrinkles (if you have any) less noticeable. It's pricey for what looks like a small tube but you only need a small amount.

Thanks Ellaaa, I'll have a look at the Rimmel one too. Next time I am in Marks I will also check theirs out to see if they have one that matifies, thanks Mazza. M&S would be my preference due to the leaping bunny. In fact, I may pop out today. Am on a mission now!!.

Ooh, I just looked online MK and the tube one is indeed mattifying and they both cost £12. (I quite like to use mattifying for when I get hot and bothered in the summer or on the Tube etc.)

Ooh, I just looked online MK and the tube one is indeed mattifying and they both cost £12. (I quite like to use mattifying for when I get hot and bothered in the summer or on the Tube etc.)

Excellent. Thanks Mazza. I may just get the No.7 for now (didn't make it to Marks today) but will definitely look that up next time I am there.

I love the Urban Decay brightening and tightening complexion primer potion. It's not silicone based, in fact I think it's silicone free, but somehow still mattifies well. It's also fragrance free so good for sensitive skin. Obviously UD is pretty expensive but you can usually always find good discounts on it on Look fantastic, Feelunique and the like.

I bought the Mally poreless prep a couple of months ago and it's gone off with only a tiny amount used... The smell is disgusting, even though it's supposed to have a 24 month shelf life after opening. It was a great primer before it went off, but now it's outside the 30 day mbg and I've wasted money I could have spent on something just as effective that lasted longer!

I bought the Mally poreless prep a couple of months ago and it's gone off with only a tiny amount used... The smell is disgusting, even though it's supposed to have a 24 month shelf life after opening. It was a great primer before it went off, but now it's outside the 30 day mbg and I've wasted money I could have spent on something just as effective that lasted longer!

I would still ring CS MistyMoo. If it's gone off, the 30 day MBG shouldn't apply. It's faulty and they should definitely replace it.

Alternatively order another pot and return the "off" pot with that invoice. The net result is the same but if you don't feel up to battling with customer services it's another option.

Thanks all for your recommendations! I was near a large Boots today so I popped in. I ended up being colour matched at No.7, buying the matte base, a new foundation, a new lippe and a liner! Oh and I had two free gifts as I split the purchase (cheeky!) I have to say, what amazing customer service. She did my analysis and patched me back up, even putting blusher and lippie on when I didn't have any on originally! I then decided to look at lippies, so she got out disposable lip brushes, cleanser and tissues and told me to help myself to as many as I want! I was well impressed.

I put a teeny dot of the matte base on once I got back to the car at 1pm. I am still shine free!! A good day :) Thanks all for your help.

Thanks all for your recommendations! I was near a large Boots today so I popped in. I ended up being colour matched at No.7, buying the matte base, a new foundation, a new lippe and a liner! Oh and I had two free gifts as I split the purchase (cheeky!) I have to say, what amazing customer service. She did my analysis and patched me back up, even putting blusher and lippie on when I didn't have any on originally! I then decided to look at lippies, so she got out disposable lip brushes, cleanser and tissues and told me to help myself to as many as I want! I was well impressed.

I put a teeny dot of the matte base on once I got back to the car at 1pm. I am still shine free!! A good day :) Thanks all for your help.

Hooray! I've always found the No7 ladies very helpful.

Thanks Ellaaa, I'll have a look at the Rimmel one too. Next time I am in Marks I will also check theirs out to see if they have one that matifies, thanks Mazza. M&S would be my preference due to the leaping bunny. In fact, I may pop out today. Am on a mission now!!

I was just showing hubby the Tsv (he wandered through the kitchen and heard the presentation. Normally he scoffs but as he is a tech geek and just bought a similar item, he stopped to listen!) I was explaining that the main reason I use Q is for the 30 day mbg. I love being able to use something and being able to return if not suitable. This is especially true with make up and skincare. But, as Boots and M&S are cheap enough anyway, I'll happily give them a go.

Don't forget Marks often have samples if you ask.

I swear by Benefit's Porefessional. It also disguises the fine lines and even makes deeper wrinkles (if you have any) less noticeable. It's pricey for what looks like a small tube but you only need a small amount.

I love Benefit's Porefessional. Like you said, it completely hides lines and wrinkles and pores. It's incredible. If anyone wants to try it for a less expensive costs there are always lots of sample sizes on EBay for about a fiver. Make sure you are buying the 7.5ml not the smaller 3ml one. You only use a tiny bit so that 7.5ml actually lasts a long time.

As for Spackle, personally I think it's terrible. The smell is very strong and chemical too me. Almost as unpleasant as nail polish remover. It melts quickly to like a watery substance, and doesn't hide anything. Has zero effect on lines or wrinkles or pores. I'm always baffled by the claims made on QVC for Spackle.

Definitely suggest Porefessional from EBay :)

i love the benefit poreless but also like the spackle by laura geller. very different formulations. took me a while to get used to the spackle. out of the tow i prefer the benefit one. i always use a primer makes such a difference

Latest posts

Back