Steve & Sarah back at Gemporia

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don’t think that they have enough items to sell which is why they waffle for so long….. Rachel is waxing lyrical on how type B & C Jade is dyed and impregnated with polymers, drawing attention to the fact that their type A is natural. Did they mention the treatment to the Rubies in the previous hour? Doubt it.

Gems presenters very rarely talk about treatments, unless it's to rave about having natural gem material on offer.

Very, very occasionally they'll mention sapphire or tanzanite being heated, but only to reassure viewers that this is the norm.

They never, ever discuss gems being dyed or coated. Doesn't stop the presenters raving about the colours as if they're intrinsic though

Gems presenters very rarely talk about treatments, unless it's to rave about having natural gem material on offer.

Very, very occasionally they'll mention sapphire or tanzanite being heated, but only to reassure viewers that this is the norm.

They never, ever discuss gems being dyed or coated. Doesn't stop the presenters raving about the colours as if they're intrinsic though

And when they're selling natural or heat-treated rubies, they'll 'talk down' filled Rubies, saying they're fissure filled with resin and polymers and insinuate they're not very good quality, yet when they're selling fissure-filled Rubies, they won't mention they're filled at all - and they'll make price comparisons against high end Rubies from elsewhere.

They also take great satisfaction in telling us when Sapphires are natural or heat treated - yet they NEVER tell viewers when they're selling filled or diffused sapphires.

One thing that really irritates me is when they say "it's had a little bit of heat treatment". There's no such thing. Stones are either heat treated or not - they can't just have a "little bit" of heat. They're heated at extreme temperatures.

I personally have no objections to heat treatment - gemstones are subject to heat when they form underground anyway. It's just a human way of "extending" that heating process.

However, very harsh treatments such as filling and diffusion, which are basically making poor quality stones useable, should be disclosed fully and openly. I won't touch diffused stones or filled stones at all. I have no interest in them whatsoever. Don't even get me started on "Andesine".

Irradiation should also be disclosed too because although it's not physically adding anything artificial to the stone, it does alter the colour of the stone significantly - for example, Swiss Blue Topaz and London Blue Topaz can only be created by irradiating a Topaz of a different colour.

Most of the "Morganite" didn't start out as "Morganite" - it is Goshenite that has been irradiated to try to get a slightly pink hue out of it - hence why most it looks so weak and poor. The only decent Morganite I've seen on Gemporia is the old Galileia Morganite that is now unobtainable, and the Cherry Blossom Morganite sourced by Yianni Melas. That is because they are actually proper, natural, peach or pink Morganite.

What really makes me FURIOUS is when they knowingly make claims up. Not mentioning treatments is one thing - it's not hiding anything, but it's not disclosing anything either - it might be a bit sly, but they're not doing anything wrong. But making things up is totally unacceptable. Saying things like "London Blue Topaz is hard to obtain because there's nothing coming out of the mine" is a disgrace - because London Blue Topaz doesn't come out of the mine that colour anyway. And saying things like "Andesine of this colour is extremely rare". No its not - its diffused. You can make as much as you like because the colour is artificial.

It's about time the gemstone industry was regulated. The industry is a shambles.

And when they're selling natural or heat-treated rubies, they'll 'talk down' filled Rubies, saying they're fissure filled with resin and polymers and insinuate they're not very good quality, yet when they're selling fissure-filled Rubies, they won't mention they're filled at all - and they'll make price comparisons against high end Rubies from elsewhere.

They also take great satisfaction in telling us when Sapphires are natural or heat treated - yet they NEVER tell viewers when they're selling filled or diffused sapphires.

One thing that really irritates me is when they say "it's had a little bit of heat treatment". There's no such thing. Stones are either heat treated or not - they can't just have a "little bit" of heat. They're heated at extreme temperatures.

I personally have no objections to heat treatment - gemstones are subject to heat when they form underground anyway. It's just a human way of "extending" that heating process.

However, very harsh treatments such as filling and diffusion, which are basically making poor quality stones useable, should be disclosed fully and openly. I won't touch diffused stones or filled stones at all. I have no interest in them whatsoever. Don't even get me started on "Andesine".

Irradiation should also be disclosed too because although it's not physically adding anything artificial to the stone, it does alter the colour of the stone significantly - for example, Swiss Blue Topaz and London Blue Topaz can only be created by irradiating a Topaz of a different colour.

Most of the "Morganite" didn't start out as "Morganite" - it is Goshenite that has been irradiated to try to get a slightly pink hue out of it - hence why most it looks so weak and poor. The only decent Morganite I've seen on Gemporia is the old Galileia Morganite that is now unobtainable, and the Cherry Blossom Morganite sourced by Yianni Melas. That is because they are actually proper, natural, peach or pink Morganite.

What really makes me FURIOUS is when they knowingly make claims up. Not mentioning treatments is one thing - it's not hiding anything, but it's not disclosing anything either - it might be a bit sly, but they're not doing anything wrong. But making things up is totally unacceptable. Saying things like "London Blue Topaz is hard to obtain because there's nothing coming out of the mine" is a disgrace - because London Blue Topaz doesn't come out of the mine that colour anyway. And saying things like "Andesine of this colour is extremely rare". No its not - its diffused. You can make as much as you like because the colour is artificial.

It's about time the gemstone industry was regulated. The industry is a shambles.
Rachel is currently describing treatments on some of the items she's selling. Not all of them: she was happy to bring a dyed agate to air without mentioning the treatment at all.

But she's stated that a sapphire ring, and a kunzite ring were totally natural: the sapphire ring is unfilled, and the kunzite ring hasn't been irradiated.

But Rachel then went on to say that the kunzite ring will always be pink, which it wouldn't be if it was irradiated. Irradiated stones don't keep the colour they're bought for.

I have never heard a gems presenter say that before, even when watching them flog natural stones. So much for selling "heirloom jewellery"

I have to admit, and I am aware he has not been back long - but I am still waiting to see any real changes under the regime change. Green indicolite, not declaring treatments, unethical - if not outright illegal - pricing policy etc... all still ongoing. Oh and Jade, Jade, Jade.... Not forgetting the interminable lectures and woffle.

OMG, I love reading your comments although I dont buy any more. In fact reading what is going on I am surprised that anyone does. I used to get some lovely stuff which I have still got but it sounds like the whole thing is a shambles now.

There is a long post from an ex employee on another thread which is a real eye opener on what has been going on. Its a shame but I think that they tried to diversify too much into other things that have spoilt it. I dont like to see businesses suffer because I know its difficult in this climate but it sounds to me that they are selling a load of tat now which is a shame. I cant believe that Cavil and Troth are still there because I found them quite false but I suppose they are needed to give it gravitas!!!

Steve is back doing the Health Reset, not seen him advertise that for many months, glad to see the original price of £79 too.

I'm not sure what to make of Steve being on this morning sell this diet programme, nothing against it I could do with losing weight myself!! However for me why is he pushing this product with the oh so self satisfied Angeline when things are still in a mess. Perhaps he thought his first explanation when he came back was enough. I'm hoping he did take the time once his presentation was finished to try and reassure his long standing customers. I may of been able to watch more of the show and found more info had it been a different presenter but I watch her

Probably stick it in here but the late-night repeat shows are still a complete joke

The audio/picture sync is miles out (talking at least a second) the adverts during the show are for products later on in the day (which has
already passed) constant references about it being "breakfast time" watched for 30 minutes last night Presenter (shouty woman very shouty) told us 4 products had sold out. According to your website, 2 of them were, 1 didn't exist and 1 was £50 cheaper!!!!

No idea if anybody with the power reads these threads but you could make 2 or 3 very simple changes as it stands anybody stumbling upon
this late at night would think it was some amateur web channel

Several weeks now into Steve and Sarah being back and no apparent changes I can see. Steve has been on with usual Primal but no sign of Sarah.Too much Jade, odd presenter schedules with even Poppy Primal selling jewellery. Some jewellery apparently heavily discounted, for example just seen a wheel where Jake's storybook by the fire Paraiba ring was auctioned at £1999, down £1000 on launch. Other shows recently have just been a hotch potch of gold tone, coated gems and magnetic clasps. Nothing of interest really and nothing new.

Several weeks now into Steve and Sarah being back and no apparent changes I can see. Steve has been on with usual Primal but no sign of Sarah.Too much Jade, odd presenter schedules with even Poppy Primal selling jewellery. Some jewellery apparently heavily discounted, for example just seen a wheel where Jake's storybook by the fire Paraiba ring was auctioned at £1999, down £1000 on launch. Other shows recently have just been a hotch potch of gold tone, coated gems and magnetic clasps. Nothing of interest really and nothing new.
Nope, nothing that is going to change the outcome of the Company anyway.

There's a few Sarah Bennett Collection items been on air - but they're nothing out of the ordinary (although much nicer than her old humungous monstrosities that she used to design).

Hattie was on last night even more hyper than normal - and there were about six auctions in a row where she said that they were selling below cost and "losing money".

Yes Hattie, because all Companies that are desperate for money due to having financial issues decide to sell things below cost for s**ts and giggles.

Nope, nothing that is going to change the outcome of the Company anyway.

There's a few Sarah Bennett Collection items been on air - but they're nothing out of the ordinary (although much nicer than her old humungous monstrosities that she used to design).

Hattie was on last night even more hyper than normal - and there were about six auctions in a row where she said that they were selling below cost and "losing money".

Yes Hattie, because all Companies that are desperate for money due to having financial issues decide to sell things below cost for s**ts and giggles.
They're now saying anything to get sales.

I wonder who they now think would buy from them? There are the dyed-in-the-wool Gemporia stans, for whom the company can do no wrong. We know what they're like, since we have had some turn up on here every now and then cursing everyone in sight for daring to question the dubious practices of the company and its on-air "talent". But they don't appear to be the youngest of folks judging by the incoming texts and the oft-repeated videos on breaks during and in-between shows. The major problem for the company is that these people won't last forever.

Then there are the people who have shopped with the channel over the years, and who have educated themselves in the various gems they have bought. Or who have bought high-end jewellery elsewhere, and have been able to pick up similar pieces from Gemporia in the past. And who will definitely have seen the changes in the company over the years. Are they going to stick with the company with wall-to-wall jade, filled rubies and dyed stones in gold tone or flash?

Which leaves one category of viewer: the uneducated newbie. These people might well buy because they've been convinced by the tall tales and overexcited flannel from the presenters and buyers, but how long can that last? The only problem with selling substandard jewellery is that even the most ignorant of buyers will realise at some point that what they're receiving aren't the high end "legacy" and"heirloom" pieces promised in shows. Add to that any customer service issues that may arise and you'll have very peed-off customers running for the hills. How often can you keep appealing to new people when you can't keep any existing ones besides the dwindling number of Gemporia fan girls/boys?

Word of mouth? It's a bit difficult when there's a growing number of people telling their families and friends to avoid your company like the plague.

I think that the next six months to a year will be most interesting for Gemporia.

They're now saying anything to get sales.

I wonder who they now think would buy from them? There are the dyed-in-the-wool Gemporia stans, for whom the company can do no wrong. We know what they're like, since we have had some turn up on here every now and then cursing everyone in sight for daring to question the dubious practices of the company and its on-air "talent". But they don't appear to be the youngest of folks judging by the incoming texts and the oft-repeated videos on breaks during and in-between shows. The major problem for the company is that these people won't last forever.

Then there are the people who have shopped with the channel over the years, and who have educated themselves in the various gems they have bought. Or who have bought high-end jewellery elsewhere, and have been able to pick up similar pieces from Gemporia in the past. And who will definitely have seen the changes in the company over the years. Are they going to stick with the company with wall-to-wall jade, filled rubies and dyed stones in gold tone or flash?

Which leaves one category of viewer: the uneducated newbie. These people might well buy because they've been convinced by the tall tales and overexcited flannel from the presenters and buyers, but how long can that last? The only problem with selling substandard jewellery is that even the most ignorant of buyers will realise at some point that what they're receiving aren't the high end "legacy" and"heirloom" pieces promised in shows. Add to that any customer service issues that may arise and you'll have very peed-off customers running for the hills. How often can you keep appealing to new people when you can't keep any existing ones besides the dwindling number of Gemporia fan girls/boys?

Word of mouth? It's a bit difficult when there's a growing number of people telling their families and friends to avoid your company like the plague.

I think that the next six months to a year will be most interesting for Gemporia.

I totally agree. I think they're clinging on to the people that will stand by them no matter what - the Christine's, the Lady Jane's, the Mirabelle's - the ones that, sadly, fall for the "one big family" nonsense.

With no disrespect meant to anyone, you only have to see the VT's of the people they've interviewed in their homes - they'll all of a certain age range or appear to be, in my opinion, perhaps 'on the spectrum' slightly.

The elderly and / or disabled perhaps can't get out to shops or spend time browsing for jewellery - so TV shopping is a convenience that they won't mind paying extra for. I dare say some buy out of boredom too. It can also be slightly addictive too.

Nothing has changed enough since Colin was shown the door that makes me change my earlier opinion that they won't be with us in 12 months time. In fact, the more news that comes out, such as the comments in the other post where someone said that Jainey is no longer selling her wares via Gemporia as of later this year, the more I'm strengthening that opinion.

Prices are still too high.
Jadeite is still on numerous times a day.
There's still much plated / 'tone' jewellery.
There's still too many on-air antics and dubious claims from the worst presenter line-up to ever be on the channel.

Last edited:
I totally agree. I think they're clinging on to the people that will stand by them no matter what - the Christine's, the Lady Jane's, the Mirabelle's - the ones that, sadly, fall for the "one big family" nonsense.

With no disrespect meant to anyone, you only have to see the VT's of the people they've interviewed in their homes - they'll all of a certain age range or appear to be, in my opinion, perhaps 'on the spectrum' slightly.

The elderly and / or disabled perhaps can't get out to shops or spend time browsing for jewellery - so TV shopping is a convenience that they won't mind paying extra for. I dare say some buy out of boredom too. It can also be slightly addictive too.

Nothing has changed enough since Colin was shown the door that makes me change my earlier opinion that they won't be with us in 12 months time. In fact, the more news that comes out, such as the comments in the other post where someone said that Jainey is no longer selling her wares via Gemporia as of later this year, the more I'm strengthening that opinion.

Prices are still too high.
Jadeite is still on numerous times a day.
There's still much plated / 'tone' jewellery.
There's still too many on-air antics and dubious claims from the worst presenter line-up to ever be on the channel.
Gemporia can't hope to rely on the elderly and disabled the way they might have been. Society has been changed in multiple ways over the last 20-30 years, and using technology in almost every area of life is now the norm.

Gemporia has probably benefited from those people for whom setting their video to record something while they were out was akin to splitting the atom: they've managed to get through their lives being wary of anything "computerised". But those people are dying off. The people retiring now are probably very technology savvy because smartphones and mobile internet access are almost a requirement for living a normal life.

While past viewers would have automatically taken Gemporia buyers and presenters at their dubious words, I suspect that many people are already in the habit of shopping around online.

And that's going to be a huge problem for Gemporia. The last thing they're going to want is for their audience to go online and quickly find that their miraculous jade, or incredibly rare strawberry quartz can be found in lots of places, and possibly at much cheaper prices, too.

I tend to agree with VapidStoat & TheManWithNoName.

I've said it before but worth saying - as a lot have said on this forum (which is actually a balanced repository of grown up discussion about a corporate entity) - that I have bought Gems TV pieces with no regrets. Lovely, distinctive and quite well made but they tend to be from 10 years ago (or so) when Steve, Scott and Rae Carpenter used to present. That early education, though, has in a way come to bite Gems in the backside. For example:

- Ethiopian Opals: Might just be me but I've never thought that Gems' examples were particularly special - or TJC's for that matter. I have some stunning loose ones but none from Gems or Gem Collector. Just all a bit 'meh'. Even their "Dark Opals" were a bit 2D in their colour play.

- Tanzanite: Over it, big time. I've accepted that I missed the boat on this one. Virtually impossible to get one that's truly pleochroic. I know VapidStoat has railed against it 😀 but I'd rather have a deeply saturated cab of kyanite set in silver.

- Andalusite: I don't think that Gems has ever sold a decent example. I have 4 loose 9x6 that are well cut and have colour play right across the stone. Where did I get them? TJC website and, guess what? They only became available after they partnered with Tony Diniz who, of course, used to work with the Cavills at Rocks & Co.

- and last example (which TheManWithNoName commented on) Sunstone: I like the even saturation of the pieces of "Serenite" from Gem Collector that I have in large sizes and cuts other than oval brilliant (don't get me started on that utterly overrated cut!!). But the best, really pleochroic examples I have, with red & green, are Precision cut in Wales. Even Gems' Lorique examples don't match them.

So, I am an example of what VapidStoat has said. I shop around and check before. Do I still buy? Yes. I have a lovely chunk of raw Dominican amber which - after checking other sellers - was actually a good price. (And key for me - the one I saw in auction was the one I was going to get and not a virtual 'bait n switch' "all gems are natural and will vary" substitute.). And recently bought this (attached) from Jeff for £9.99. Mad? Maybe but it's a fantastic key ring fob! 😀😀😀

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-13-07-11-09-272.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-05-13-07-11-09-272.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 54
I think they could have a market for lower end pieces. Solid sterling silver and good quality gemstone pieces below the 100 pound mark would be competitive when compared to pieces from Etsy or high street costume jewellery. If I ever purchase again it will be from the lower end of the range if I like the design. What I will never do is fall for the higher priced items again. I have spent far too much on these pieces and haven’t been able to sell them on when needed for anywhere other than gold value. I was hoping to pass them down but honestly feel embarrassed to have believed all the rubbish spouted at the time. It wasn’t a great time of life for me to be honest and I feel that I was vulnerable to their selling tactics!

I think they could have a market for lower end pieces. Solid sterling silver and good quality gemstone pieces below the 100 pound mark would be competitive when compared to pieces from Etsy or high street costume jewellery. If I ever purchase again it will be from the lower end of the range if I like the design. What I will never do is fall for the higher priced items again. I have spent far too much on these pieces and haven’t been able to sell them on when needed for anywhere other than gold value. I was hoping to pass them down but honestly feel embarrassed to have believed all the rubbish spouted at the time. It wasn’t a great time of life for me to be honest and I feel that I was vulnerable to their selling tactics!
I feel for you I really do. I bought many items back in the day and of course since, now, I wonder how much money I have wasted which could of been saved for my granddaughters. It's just awful to think we were taken in this way. I haven't bought for a while from gems due to the very poor presenters apart from Jeff I can't stand them! Let's not forget the overpriced and poor quality that they now offer. Then of course the never ending saga of Jade so my money is safe. So rest assured you won't be on your own.

It was a novelty in the beginning and it was addictive. I never had the money to buy "high end pieces" but I did buy some lovely things - although it was mostly before they offered rings in different sizes and I must have wasted a fortune resizing. At that time it was nearly all in gold so at least that has its value. The point is they were selling stones that weren't readily available so it was exciting. But now there is so much more choice. I had lovely bracelets from Gems but so many of them broke - they economised on stuff like the elastics they used which was rather tragic. I remember a couple just disintegrating on my wrist when I wasn't even moving, once in the lift at work lapis lazuli beads suddenly cascading over the floor. I certainly wouldn't buy from them again now, I'd much rather support small artisans and dedicated jewellery makers rather than add to Steve's mega mansions.

I feel for you I really do. I bought many items back in the day and of course since, now, I wonder how much money I have wasted which could have been saved for my granddaughters. It's just awful to think we were taken in this way. I haven't bought for a while from gems due to the very poor presenters apart from Jeff I can't stand them! Let's not forget the overpriced and poor quality that they now offer. Then of course the never ending saga of Jade so my money is safe. So rest assured you won't be on your own.
This is exactly how I feel. Thinking of the things I could’ve done with that money. Would’ve been better in an ISA than in gemstones! Oh well. Lesson learnt the hard way.

I tend to agree with VapidStoat & TheManWithNoName.

I've said it before but worth saying - as a lot have said on this forum (which is actually a balanced repository of grown up discussion about a corporate entity) - that I have bought Gems TV pieces with no regrets. Lovely, distinctive and quite well made but they tend to be from 10 years ago (or so) when Steve, Scott and Rae Carpenter used to present. That early education, though, has in a way come to bite Gems in the backside. For example:

- Ethiopian Opals: Might just be me but I've never thought that Gems' examples were particularly special - or TJC's for that matter. I have some stunning loose ones but none from Gems or Gem Collector. Just all a bit 'meh'. Even their "Dark Opals" were a bit 2D in their colour play.

- Tanzanite: Over it, big time. I've accepted that I missed the boat on this one. Virtually impossible to get one that's truly pleochroic. I know VapidStoat has railed against it 😀 but I'd rather have a deeply saturated cab of kyanite set in silver.

- Andalusite: I don't think that Gems has ever sold a decent example. I have 4 loose 9x6 that are well cut and have colour play right across the stone. Where did I get them? TJC website and, guess what? They only became available after they partnered with Tony Diniz who, of course, used to work with the Cavills at Rocks & Co.

- and last example (which TheManWithNoName commented on) Sunstone: I like the even saturation of the pieces of "Serenite" from Gem Collector that I have in large sizes and cuts other than oval brilliant (don't get me started on that utterly overrated cut!!). But the best, really pleochroic examples I have, with red & green, are Precision cut in Wales. Even Gems' Lorique examples don't match them.

So, I am an example of what VapidStoat has said. I shop around and check before. Do I still buy? Yes. I have a lovely chunk of raw Dominican amber which - after checking other sellers - was actually a good price. (And key for me - the one I saw in auction was the one I was going to get and not a virtual 'bait n switch' "all gems are natural and will vary" substitute.). And recently bought this (attached) from Jeff for £9.99. Mad? Maybe but it's a fantastic key ring fob! 😀😀😀
I'm not against kyanite. I am just against Gemporia's selling tactics for it.

Rebranding it as "nilamani" (a local word for blue sapphire), never using the word kyanite, and pushing the similarity in colour between the two stones so hard that I wouldn't be surprised if many viewers end up convinced that they're buying sapphires.

Plus it's not that hard a stone. I think quite a few buyers who have bought exposed setting rings thinking that they're sapphires may be having a rude awakening when the stones either break or badly scratch after knocking against something

Latest posts

Back