Susannah chastised for saying a 'naughty' word.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't really like the T&S fashion, they seem to skimp on the material, everything looks too tight. I like their choice of a large model...Natasha...she seems a very normal size large. She used to model on IW. I feel embarrassed for T&S when they start being vulgar and I switch over...Imo it isn't very clever being so uncouth on national tv when you are trying to sell ladies fashion....

To be honest I really don't think they do it for effect or to get attention. I just think that's the way they talk, a bit potty mouthed. Largely it is a class thing. They are both sloanies from well to do families and the aristocracy see nothing wrong with being foul-mouthed indeed they very often delight in it.

I think they did, in the beginning, make a conscious decision to tell it like it is and talk like real woman so it was tits, bums, boobs, fannies and arse rather than breasts, derrière and front parts etc. Which was I think part of their appeal to woman. And men too. Who doesn't enjoy a posh bird saying rude words?

Arse is a great old English word and is in danger of dying out amongst the younger generation who have adopted the American term ass. I think the only dirty word, never to be spoken, in Trinny and Susanna's vocabulary is Gok Wan.

I'm far more 'offended' by the constant use of 'tush' or 'tushy' by all the American designers, Lenny (Goldberg/Steinberg whatever) uses the word constantly. We all know what it refers to, but who dreamt that word up anyway? I grimace when I hear it.

Did her eyes roll back even more when it happened - I can imagine they went into overdrive.

I think everyone has a line they would draw on swearing on TV but I find the 9pm watershed a farce as children can and do watch the likes of Eastenders/Corrie/hollyoaks which have dialogue and story lines which would make your eyes water and IMO totally unsuitable for children.

As a point of interest I must be one of the few people left who work in an office where there is no swearing at all, ever, mind you they act like the living dead anyway so hey ho!

I think they did, in the beginning, make a conscious decision to tell it like it is and talk like real woman so it was tits, bums, boobs, fannies and arse rather than breasts, derrière and front parts etc. Which was I think part of their appeal to woman. And men too.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I'm a real woman, and I've never said "tits" or "fannies" in my life. Have very rarely said "arse" either. I find all these words vulgar and T&S have no appeal for me whatsoever. They're like little kids, being deliberately provocative, and I find it an unedifying spectacle.

Who doesn't enjoy a posh bird saying rude words?

I don't. And I guess I should also say that I never use the word "bird" to describe a woman either, I think it's demeaning and insulting. Just shows that we can't generalise.

I'm not sure that an apology, made by someone else, makes a ha'peth of difference if a viewer is offended.

I think it probably does most of the time. An apology from Q is an acknowledgement that the viewer's opinion matters and that they recognise that their viewers don't (in the main, I would guess) want to hear such things.

I think it probably does most of the time. An apology from Q is an acknowledgement that the viewer's opinion matters and that they recognise that their viewers don't (in the main, I would guess) want to hear such things.

That's true but QVC know what they're like and should spell it out to them whenever they're about to go on air. Bottom line is T&S need QVC more than Q needs them and an apology from the presenter is a bit hollow when there's absolutely no contrition from the culprits.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I'm a real woman, and I've never said "tits" or "fannies" in my life. Have very rarely said "arse" either. I find all these words vulgar and T&S have no appeal for me whatsoever. They're like little kids, being deliberately provocative, and I find it an unedifying spectacle.

I don't. And I guess I should also say that I never use the word "bird" to describe a woman either, I think it's demeaning and insulting. Just shows that we can't generalise.

Well of course your a "real" woman there is no such thing as an "unreal" woman. Forgive my Daily Mail-ism.

I don't see the point in taking offence at words or language at all. Whether an individual chooses to use certain words or not is of course entirely up to them, but to take offence at others using certain words is somewhat infantile I think.

Of course certain words and language have their place. And whilst I certainly do not find words vulgar, I do find their over-use vulgar. One should keep the f-ing and blinding for special use of expression and not to punctuate every sentence with, thus diminishing their power. But each to their own, others may agree or disagree accordingly.

And I also see no harm or mean no disrespect by referring to a lady as a chick or bird, these words having been embraced by woman as acceptable terms of reference for many years.

That's true but QVC know what they're like and should spell it out to them whenever they're about to go on air. Botttom line is T&S need QVC more than Q needs them and an apology from the presenter is a bit hollow when there's absolutely no contrition from the culprits.

Bottom line? Sure it's not arse line? Tush line maybe???

I used to go to Sunday School as a child in Fanny Street

That is completely the most hilariously random thing I have heard all week. Thanks Strato, I am literally actually laughing.

Edit: I've just noticed the picture of you on your little bike - was that you in your way to Fanny Street one Sunday?

Talking of posh people speaking differently ... we know someone who was a debutante way back when who never says, Pardon? but always What? I thought, why has she never been taught any manners? but apparently, or so I read somewhere, the upper classes (ie not me) were taught that to say What? because using Pardon? implies that you're one of the lower orders that feel the need to apologise, whereas the upper lot don't owe anyone an apology. So maybe their crude language is a carry-over from that? Just a thought.

Anyone here know any ex-debutantes to confirm or deny that?

The Vicar on Emmerdale just said "Sod" , I am already typing a letter of complaint :mysmilie_484::mysmilie_865:

Latest posts

Back