Susannah chastised for saying a 'naughty' word.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm personally offended by very little, provided it isn't bigoted, but am also sensitive that not everyone is as unmoved by it. Nor should they have to be. It's all too easy to draw a line beyond which we would not step and see that at the 'correct' place for the 'standard', but everyone's line is going to be in a different place based on all sort of things, their personalities, their upbringing, the environment in which they work or mix socially. Who is it for anyone to decide where that line is for everyone! No one can help what offends them, so surely it's better to be sensitive to that?

I don't see the point in taking offence at words or language at all. Whether an individual chooses to use certain words or not is of course entirely up to them, but to take offence at others using certain words is somewhat infantile I think.

I'm not offended by these words, it takes a lot more than that to offend me. I just find them coarse/vulgar and I think that people using them show a marked lack of intelligence. My father never swore, and he always used to say that someone who had to resort to swearing to express an opinion was just showing their ignorance and lack of command of the English language. In my opinion it's the use of these words that is infantile.

And I also see no harm or mean no disrespect by referring to a lady as a chick or bird, these words having been embraced by woman as acceptable terms of reference for many years.

I completely disagree with you on this. Some women may have decided that being called a chick or a bird is something they have to put up with, but none of the women I know find it acceptable, and I certainly don't know any women who embrace these terms. I've never been called either of these things by any of the people in my life. They're derogatory terms and if a woman accepts them she can't have much self-respect imo.

****** hell! It's enough to get on yer tits innit! I remember once watching when Stacey Sheflin was on with Julia and she said "sh**!" Julia almost hyperventilated. I think QVC have to abide by strict regulations governing their content. Any breaches could affect their licence to broadcast so they are naturally quite worried about it.
I do think some people get away with more than others though. If Dale or Charlie said: "Look at how lovely that cammy sits over her tits!" they would be instantly dismissed for gross misconduct.

I'm far more 'offended' by the constant use of 'tush' or 'tushy' by all the American designers, Lenny (Goldberg/Steinberg whatever) uses the word constantly. We all know what it refers to, but who dreamt that word up anyway? I grimace when I hear it.

What does it refer to? I don't think I ever heard it.

This whole thread is the result of one woman casually (and absentmindedly) using one word.

Posts in this threads have used 'worse' to illustrate how 'ignorant' she is.

Oh, the irony.

I can't help but think that if someone is offended by such a simple thing, then they would benefit from taking up a hobby, or volunteering, or developing a sense of proportion...

****** hell! It's enough to get on yer tits innit! I remember once watching when Stacey Sheflin was on with Julia and she said "sh**!" Julia almost hyperventilated. I think QVC have to abide by strict regulations governing their content. Any breaches could affect their licence to broadcast so they are naturally quite worried about it.
I do think some people get away with more than others though. If Dale or Charlie said: "Look at how lovely that cammy sits over her tits!" they would be instantly dismissed for gross misconduct.

Julius your post made me laugh out loud. It lightened up the thread and I agree with you. Also wondering if the American parent company has anything to do with it. Americans can be much more offended by language and conservative with a small c in their attitudes.

I heard miss AY say Freakin on air the other day talking about buying alchol from her local shop, look at the definicion from the Urban Dictionary, did she have to apologise live on air? err no but she is Miss AY.

Anyone remember Keeley saying "anal" on air, meaning "anal retentive". I think this and the "freakin" example result from an ignorance of the phrases' origins. I'll hold my hand up and admit I swear when extremely provoked. The word's themselves don't affect me but if they were directed at me personally I'd feel approriately threatened and quite shocked. I can't remember an occasion when I've been sworn at in that way.

Using the effing F word in every f'ing second f'ing word just sounds f'ing puerile and is best treated by not reacting. T&S would maybe temper their language if we all ignored it, including the QVC production staff. T&S only said "******" which is pretty mild in the greater scheme of things, I'd have ignored it. Like when kids test a word they've heard I'd pick my battles and save my disapproval for stronger language. The tits and arse references don't bother me and it's sad that there are ugly words for female genitals which are considered the worst threatening swear words, it just shows how badly women have been regarded historically, calling someone or Knob or a Dickhead isn't nearly as bad.

Anyone remember Keeley saying "anal" on air, meaning "anal retentive". I think this and the "freakin" example result from an ignorance of the phrases' origins. I'll hold my hand up and admit I swear when extremely provoked. The word's themselves don't affect me but if they were directed at me personally I'd feel approriately threatened and quite shocked. I can't remember an occasion when I've been sworn at in that way.

Using the effing F word in every f'ing second f'ing word just sounds f'ing puerile and is best treated by not reacting. T&S would maybe temper their language if we all ignored it, including the QVC production staff. T&S only said "******" which is pretty mild in the greater scheme of things, I'd have ignored it. Like when kids test a word they've heard I'd pick my battles and save my disapproval for stronger language. The tits and arse references don't bother me and it's sad that there are ugly words for female genitals which are considered the worst threatening swear words, it just shows how badly women have been regarded historically, calling someone or Knob or a Dickhead isn't nearly as bad.

I remember Keeley saying "anal" but they were talking about dressing the Xmas dinner table and she said about having to have everything perfect etc , and said im "anal" like that , and Alison Young apologised for her saying that , and so did Keeley.

This whole thread is the result of one woman casually (and absentmindedly) using one word.

Posts in this threads have used 'worse' to illustrate how 'ignorant' she is.

Oh, the irony.

I can't help but think that if someone is offended by such a simple thing, then they would benefit from taking up a hobby, or volunteering, or developing a sense of proportion...

If a teacher in front of a class can't use it then it does not belong on shopping television. I don't want to hear it from Q guests or presenters. The slip up is ok and apology is great, it is the likes of loose cannons like T&S that Q need to get rid of. The presenters appear stressed enough without being on pins with these two. Smacks of desperation all round.

If a teacher in front of a class can't use it then it does not belong on shopping television. I don't want to hear it from Q guests or presenters. The slip up is ok and apology is great, it is the likes of loose cannons like T&S that Q need to get rid of.

Seriously? Well everyone is entitled to their opinion.

QVC obviously disagrees (thank goodness) because it has provided me with the double entertainment of firstly seeing Suzannah in action and secondly reading the magnificent pedantry contains in this thread.

Marvellous.

Maybe we should be more concerned about the porkie pies and outlandish claims they make than a slip of a fairly mild swear word. I'm sure Joan Rivers was a lot nearer the knuckle (but then that is why she is no longer on)

Maybe we should be more concerned about the porkie pies and outlandish claims they make than a slip of a fairly mild swear word. I'm sure Joan Rivers was a lot nearer the knuckle (but then that is why she is no longer on)

I use to love when Joan Rivers came to Qvc , The presenters were always on edge , use to be fun to watch , never bought anything from her mind lol. Speaking of Joan, was reading the daily mail and theres an article on here at the Qvc Pre Oscars party , apparently she got "Caked", No wonder why QvcUk didn't send any presenter to the Oscars this year ...................
article-2570792-1BEE0F4C00000578-272_634x770.jpg
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...pre-Oscars-bash-covered-icing-caked-face.html

Oh my goodness! 80 years old and receiving a cream cake in the face. Twice!
:mysmilie_847:
Thank you for that link.

I think people get offended by different things. Some of the things I have written on here in the past have been taken way out of context and caused offence where none was meant. But then I get offended by some things I probably shouldn't. The other day I was in Asda there was a (I think Polish) guy in front of me in the queue. The divider thing that goes on the conveyor belt was out of my reach and he aggressively threw his shopping onto the conveyor belt and did not think to put the divider there - and it really annoyed me. It probably shouldn't have but it did. I also noticed that lots of staff there were speaking int Bangladeshi and other languages and that really annoyed me too. I think people should speak the language of this country in their workplace! The country that is supporting them any paying them money! I'm not at all xenophobic but I don't go around speaking in Lithuanian all the time when I am here. I know and speak the language of this country. Probably there will be people who take offence to me thinking this and writing this. I'm just trying to say were are all different. QVC is a very family-oriented channel. If children are at home with parents then it may not be appropriate for people to swear on screen. One of the nice things about QVC is that it is very anodyne and inoffensive. It's quite reassuring to tune in and not receive any bad news, other than that some overpriced throat gel has sold out - well I don't care cos I wasn't gonna buy it anyway!

Probably there will be people who take offence to me thinking this and writing this.

Yup.

A very dear friend of mine, now deceased (and one of the kindest, most generous and all-round nice people I have ever had the privilege to know), brought me to the understanding that people CHOOSE to take offence.

- even if someone INTENDS to GIVE offence, it is ALWAYS your choice whether to TAKE it or not.

My life has been much happier and more relaxed since that particular light bulb went off above my head.

By the way Julius, we may be deeply philosophically divided, but I would like to compliment you on your use of English, particularly if it is a second language!

Yup.

A very dear friend of mine, now deceased (and one of the kindest, most generous and all-round nice people I have ever had the privilege to know), brought me to the understanding that people CHOOSE to take offence.

- even if someone INTENDS to GIVE offence, it is ALWAYS your choice whether to TAKE it or not.

My life has been much happier and more relaxed since that particular light bulb went off above my head.

By the way Julius, we may be deeply philosophically divided, but I would like to compliment you on your use of English, particularly if it is a second language!

Thank you, Crinkly. I think taking offence can be related to class / upbringing. I personally really hate swearing in the workplace. There is a colleague who sits to my right who swears. It really annoys me. Rather than make a fuss about it I just choose to differentiate myself in that I don't swear. I recently had a case returned back to me where a certain department would not make a change on a customer's account. I wrote an email that read: "This is incorrect. This change can be made when it has been authorised by a manager. In this case it has been authorised by 2. Should there remain any confusion please contact (x) who will duly enlighten you! I would suggest that you do not return this case to me as to do so will not engender goodwill on any side. I will simply return it to you. Now please action the requested change promptly, without let or hindrance. This matter is now at an end." My manager had a big meeting to say that my email could potentially be offensive. The HR Manager just laughed and said "oh that's just Julius" and that it was a bit strongly worded, but essentially quite polite. I like writing emails as if I am in another era!

I'm not offended by these words, it takes a lot more than that to offend me. I just find them coarse/vulgar and I think that people using them show a marked lack of intelligence. My father never swore, and he always used to say that someone who had to resort to swearing to express an opinion was just showing their ignorance and lack of command of the English language. In my opinion it's the use of these words that is infantile.

Well it certainly comes across that you seem to take some offence and/or objection to others using words that you deem "vulgar." More than this you make assumptions about that persons intelligence.

We are certainly all entitled to an opinion. The thing about opinions though is they are a bit like arseholes in that everyone has got one.

I certainly see no correlation between the use of "bad" language and ones intelligence. No matter your class or intelligence words unite us. This is especially true of swear words. From Lawyer to builders the same expletives hold. I bet The Queen can let rip occasionally (in private!) and you can bet your bottom dollar that Prince Phillip would have a few good vocabulary of expletives in his armoury! Ditto the future King I would suspect! Similarly the House of Commons is widely reported to be oft turned blue with the language used by peers and Lords. One would hope that the people running the country are not lacking in intelligence.

I completely disagree with you on this. Some women may have decided that being called a chick or a bird is something they have to put up with, but none of the women I know find it acceptable, and I certainly don't know any women who embrace these terms. I've never been called either of these things by any of the people in my life. They're derogatory terms and if a woman accepts them she can't have much self-respect imo.

With respect I really do think this maybe an age/generation thing. I have no prior knowledge of anyone in my social circle every taking offence or objection the the term chick or bird. Of course it may be how these words are used in context. Rihanna had a huge hit with, "Who's That Chick" , Alison Moyet referring to her previous plumper self as being a "fat bird" on the Graham Norton Show.

Interestingly Dictionary dot com has the following Usage note; As a term used to refer to a young woman, chick is slightly dated. Originally it was perceived as insulting because of the perception that it infantilized women. Now the word has been embraced by some women as a positive term of self-reference and an expression of camaraderie.

I really do think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. Our views not only differing but seemingly at polar opposites to one another.

Latest posts

Back