teachers gifts

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

In a previous life I was a university lecturer and I when this issue came up I politely declined any gifts offered to me until the end of the academic year for fear of a conflict of interests arising. I seem to recall my union (or it might have been the institution I worked for) debating whether this should become standard practice for staff who have a role in assessing students' work.

I understand the desire to thank those who have helped - my son started school in Sept and I am grateful to a couple of teachers in particular who are caring for him so well - but a card with heartfelt words to that effect is what I'd be giving, and what I personally would prefer to receive. I didn't go into my job for money or expensive gifts - the knowledge that you've helped someone achieve their best academically is far more profound. Interestingly though, it was always the students who came from the more de-privileged backgrounds who offered gifts and were generally far more grateful for the help I'd provided.

Last edited:
For those QVC buyers who have a third home, maybe you could give the teacher the third home so she has a second home - then she'll be part of the QVC family :sun: to the top of the class you go!

I'm a teacher, although I no longer have a class (as I'm a SENCo which means I have a managerial position and work throughout the school.) When I was in the classroom I did get gifts at Christmas and at the end of the school year. I did appreciate the kindness of the parents and children, whether the gift was something that was shop bought or homemade. But if anyone had bought me something like the presenters suggest on QVC I'd have been mortified because of the cost. Who in their right mind would spend £25 plus on a teacher?

To be honest, the thing that I valued more than the gifts was a heartfelt 'thank you' which costs nothing ...... and the same applies in my current position.

When my son was at school we got a letter specifically asking us not to buy presents for teachers, words to the effect that it had turned into a competition amongst parents.

As someone said above teachers get paid to do their job, it's not voluntary work. As parents we are grateful to them for dealing with our little darlings all day long but a simple thank you will suffice won't it? An extravagant present for the teacher won't turn our kids into A* students.

The thing with QVC is everything is aimed purely at their profit levels, and so spending far too much on a teachers gift is just seen a filling their coffers more, regardless of the implications of somebody's child giving too extravagant/inappropriate a gift. Half the time I don't think the presenters even listen to themselves with their endless "don't just buy one, get several" comments. They are just groomed in sell, sell, sell regardless of what is going on in the world around them. Every day we are hearing about more redundancies, family businesses closing, well known high street retailers folding. Yet they still sell highly inflated tat and encourage customers to overspend by buying more than one - cause after all that additional £50 will save you £2.25 in postage!!

For example yesterday on the L'Occitane hour with Charlie, Alexis was saying a particular set was a bargain at virtually £50!!! and she did agree it was a "considered purchase" but then within the same breath she went on to say that if you purchased two ... blah blah blah. And if Charlie could hear himself, ole pratto mentioned his partner Michelle umpteen times during the hour and even went on to tell her to order two sets of the shower oil duo with his card details, he then proceeded to say it was cause it was in last christmas' tsv in 75ml size and he had "just" starting using it (so nearly a year on Charlie, shows how interested you are in it!!!) but that ridiculous comment seemed to justify his partner buying four full sized bottles at £60! listen to yourself, what a pratt!!!, do you think we are born yesterday.

Unfortunately, their uncaring money grabbing attitude when the world is financially falling apart is starting to grate somewhat now.

Last edited:
It shows how society has changed. When I was a kid at school in the 50' and 60's everyone came from the same background -POOR ! with the exception of a handful we all lived in council houses / rented accommodation, so there was definitely NO oneupmanship - and the world a much nicer place because of it. The teachers received home made Christmas cards, and that was IT !

Other professions aren't allowed to accept gifts if offered - which is why nurses are overloaded with biscuits and chocs to share from grateful patients, so why is the teaching profession any different.

When me and my wee sis where at primary school, we gave very small gifts to our teacher at the end of each year as we were moving up the school and onto a new teacher. We didnt give Christmas gifts, just a wee thank you at the end of the year and that was it. When we went to Secondary school it stopped as you had about 10 different teachers each year.

I dont understand this madness of Mums and Dads trying to outdo each other! It was hard enough back then to afford christmas presents for your own family never mind for a teacher or anyone outside the family.

The world has gone mad I tell you!

I'm in a terrible quandary this year; I do not have any children, my nieces have left school and gone to work, my great-neice hasn't started school yet, all my neighbours' kids have moved on and I find myself not knowing ANY teachers. My present drawer is sagging under the weight of all the spare Yankees I've accumulated this year, I've made up several beauty hampers with all my 'one for me, two for you' ideas, plus the odd bit of Elemis, in my Lindy Bowman cellophaned crates, and I have no-one to give them to. Should I take them with me in case I run into the tube driver who delivers me to work/home each morning/evening? Is there a website I can go on to adopt a teacher that doesn't get presents? Would the Elemis/Temperley collection be a bit extravagant for the men who collect my recycling? Should I get the local paperboy a camera? QVC - *please* stop with the suggestions!!

I'm in a terrible quandary this year; I do not have any children, my nieces have left school and gone to work, my great-neice hasn't started school yet, all my neighbours' kids have moved on and I find myself not knowing ANY teachers. My present drawer is sagging under the weight of all the spare Yankees I've accumulated this year, I've made up several beauty hampers with all my 'one for me, two for you' ideas, plus the odd bit of Elemis, in my Lindy Bowman cellophaned crates, and I have no-one to give them to. Should I take them with me in case I run into the tube driver who delivers me to work/home each morning/evening? Is there a website I can go on to adopt a teacher that doesn't get presents? Would the Elemis/Temperley collection be a bit extravagant for the men who collect my recycling? Should I get the local paperboy a camera? QVC - *please* stop with the suggestions!!

Oooh but don't forget about your Tesco delivery man, LOL :wink:

Sorry should have put that but Tesco was easier to spell, tee hee LOL :eek:)) I'm sure Skagen would do him fab, if not howsabout a stockingful of Charlie Bears or maybe yesterdays £350 Bose phone charger ;o) xxxx

Latest posts

Back