The reality of the qvc outlet stores

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I can't get over centigrade coats for £1.99, a bargain :grin:

Believe me they weren't that much of a bargain and I wasn't tempted even at £1.99. They were wool full length coats in purple or black with a removable black faux fur collar. They were covered in packing creases and the fabric looked soft and floppy somehow as though it wouldn't hold it shape and would bobble and pull and look tatty in no time at all.

There was no-one even looking at them apart from a very scruffy old woman who was trying them all on! (sorry but it's true) :eeew:

I ordered one of these - stupid me!

Believe me they weren't that much of a bargain and I wasn't tempted even at £1.99. They were wool full length coats in purple or black with a removable black faux fur collar. They were covered in packing creases and the fabric looked soft and floppy somehow as though it wouldn't hold it shape and would bobble and pull and look tatty in no time at all.

There was no-one even looking at them apart from a very scruffy old woman who was trying them all on! (sorry but it's true) :eeew:

I foolishly ordered one of these coats round Xmas time as liked the purple colour, when it arrived looked like someone had slept in it for a week! Went straight back and is now no doubt residing in the £1.99 bargain bucket.....

I live in Manchester & had often wondered if it would be worth making a trip to the outlet in Warrington, definitely won't be bothering now!

In defence of the QVC Outlet...

I've been to the Shrewsbury outlet four times now and I've managed to snaffle some bargains every time.

When I went three weeks ago I picked up some gorgeous Sinfonia throw and cushion sets and another lovely suede-look throw. If I'd done my research with item no.s I might have been tempted into buying a featherbed too.

I guess it's horses for courses, but I don't really think it's that bad.

QVC's fashion isn't the channel's strong point, and some of the gear I've seen on display is heinous to say the least, but there's more to the outlet than that. If you're not inclined to buy their clothes whilst viewing on TV then it's safe to say you'll decide to steer well clear and hunt for more interesting items while you're there - especially if you've done some serious mileage to get there!

When I was in TK Maxx last week, I spotted a men's shirt that I'd seen on my last visit which had been well worn. I was amazed to see it was ticketed and out on the shop floor. Yuck. I brought it over to an assistant to remove it from display as I didn't want to risk seeing it again! Similarly, in another store I've seen a bobbly pair of F&F trousers hanging up. Clearly TK haven't started selling Tesco clothing, so some cheeky customer has made a switch via the changing room.

The nature of the outlet is that along with ends of lines, there may be some returns which are either incomplete or are in a less than pristine condition.

Bottom line is that if you like a bargain then it's worth a punt. Perhaps it's not for everyone though.

I have been to both outlets and Shrewsbury seems a 'bit' better than Warrington. It also depends on when you go and what stock they get in. As it is returns and overstock's it can be very hit and miss. My best buy was when they were just opening a box of new smashbox tsv's (the one with the halo in it) and they were under £15 - this had been nearly £40 +p&p.

I would not think it is worth a special trip but if I am passing one now it is worth a little browse.

The Warrington outlet is a jumble sale - but that said I've had one or two nice pristine and new bits from there - got a lovely handcrafted quilt and sham set, full price £60 on Le Q, down to £35 in the outlet store and then got a further 25% discount when I went to pay at the till - package was as far as I could see brand new, nothing at all wrong with quilt/shams and they're beautiful quality.

But, the clothes and shoes were horrendous. They had lots of Markon boots - well worn and several pairs had really obvious bunion marks in them and were badly stained. Rows and rows of Kim N Co, Indigo Moon and Basso. All looked well worn, tatty and falling to bits in most cases.

They were selling part burned Yankee Candles, too - all bundled up in packages.

Another nail in the coffin for Glen's credence on air then as he puts his name to the Centigrade brand. Show you what he knows ;) I've bought Centigrade in the past and haven't kept a single thing so far - badly fitting, badly cut and just generally below par given what is spouted on screen.

I don't live anywhere near an outlet store, I'm right down on the south east coast, but given what I've read here, I certainly won't be making a special effort to get to one! We never have anything like that down here. We're not all rich after all :D

I think QVC need to change their MBG so that items have to be sent back in the same condition they were sent out. It seems pretty rum to me that someone will wear something out, literally, for a month and return it knowing full well that's what they were going to do when they bought it. No shop would accept that. I used to run catalogues back in the pre-tv shopping days and they were very clear that returns had to be sent back as they were received. That helps keep prices down for everyone in the long run.

Just a quick final point - the stuff that ends up in there that's brand new - why don't they have special "end of line" shows and flog it all off dirt cheap? I'm sure most, if not all, would sell.

I think QVC need to change their MBG so that items have to be sent back in the same condition they were sent out. It seems pretty rum to me that someone will wear something out, literally, for a month and return it knowing full well that's what they were going to do when they bought it. No shop would accept that. I used to run catalogues back in the pre-tv shopping days and they were very clear that returns had to be sent back as they were received. That helps keep prices down for everyone in the long run.

I hear what you're saying Moth, but most of the stuff I buy is beauty products, so I HAVE to try it to know whether it is going to live up to it's promises/suit my skin or not. If QVC didn't offer this then I'd probably only buy my 'tried and tested' ranges that you can't get elsewhere in the UK, and certainly wouldn't take a chance on anything new.

I often do use a cream or whatever for pretty much the full month, as (is often quoted by the presenters) you need to give these things a good test run to find out if they will work for you.

Obviously clothing etc is different but again sometimes you can't tell if an item is really what you want unless it's worn in the 'real world' - not just tried on at home. For me this is particularly true of footwear, I only know if shoes/boots are going to be comfy if I can wear them for a full day, including going outside and driving in them. If QVC didn't offer this then I wouldn't be buying from them.

With the Centigrade coat I bought, not sure if someone had actually worn it (slept in it??) before, but from reading the other reviews on QVC which were ALL terrible, think it was new and unworn - just absolutely hideous quality!

I do appreciate that the system is open to abuse by people who just want a bag, pair of shoes etc to wear to a special event and buy with the full intention of returning, but not sure if there is a way round this, the 30 day 'no quibble' MGB is one of QVC's key selling points, & think they would lose a lot of custom if it was taken away or changed.

We once went into a QVC outlet shop at one of the outdoor malls in Florida and it was woeful it was exactly the same as described by Gem Genie

The Miramar outlet

I don't think its there anymore Jabba, I went to Miramar last June and looked for it as I'd visited a few years ago but it must have closed down because I couldn't find it - but agree it was tatty and very disappointing.

Agree the outlet is pretty hit and miss. That said, I have had some lovely EMU stinger boots and a pair of gorgeous EMU ballet pumps recently. A little while back they had a load of Philosophy in there - I resisted, but then went on to regret not getting any - so unlike me.

I think both shops have gone downhill a lot over the years! :thinking:

BUT I have picked up some fabulous bargains too........

I am sure there are loads of good buys still there, but with SO MUCH in brown boxes with vague descriptions (or no descriptions) unless you have hours to spare and a Swiss Army Knife (to get in the boxes) there is little chance of finding them :dull:

I have loved finding brand new bargains like Smashbox, Decleor, Gatineau, Yankee Candles, craft TSV's, Emus etc.

But I have also encountered HORRORS!!

Think Carole Hochman PJ set with the remains of a full fried English breakfast plastered all over it :devil: and a box of Yankee Candles full of broken glass :thinking:

But both shops are much scruffier than they used to be.

Latest posts

Back