Tova foot in mouth

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
:angel: Crikey is also an international collaquialism; here in the UK we use crikey to express surprise, or an exclamation of astonishment; meanwhile the Australian Dictionary defines the word crikey as an expression of astonishment and euphemism for christ; but is not meant in a crude demeaning or offending way. Steve Irwin (R.I.P) used the word crikey often, perhaps more so when he was excited; in fact most Antipodeans use, probably when ordering a cold one :beer: hope this helps clarify things for all xx

so would it be offensive to say an american guest is full of spunk, or that Ann has nipped round the back for a quick puff on a fag, or that after a night on a northern it would take a big bang to knock you up

when i was little, my grandad used to refer to someone needing a wash/bath as black bright. He came from Wigan; he died in 1967. I suppose if you go back 30 years or so, every county had their own dialect, and it is now dying out, because people do not talk face to face any more. One of my aunties worked in a cotton mill when she was very young, and then during the war she worked in a munitions factory, she learned to lip read. Back in 1993 we went back to Wigan, and near the market went into a cake shop, and there was an entire table filled with elderley women, they were chatting away, as you could see their mouths moving, but not a word was spoken between them - me and my hubby just sat in awe; of course they grown up in the cotton mills. and learned to communicate that way, but it was a truly awesome sight, one which is sadly dying out too. My sister informs me that Americans speak the Queens English better than we do - as they use the correct termination; ie deck of cards, Route for road (we use root), amongst the many she has informed me of. And did you know that the word Mrs, is broken down from the times of old when we were called Mistress, and Mr comes from Master, it all helps if you end up on Who Wants to be a Millioinaire and you are on the last question, you will remember that persianglitter said blahblah blah:giggle: xx

I think I'm right in saying that a charity shop chain used to be called the Spastics Society until a fw years ago. Spastic is not an offensive word when used to describe limbs that don't function properly but it can be if a moron uses it in a vile and nasty way to hurt someone. Tova is neither of these so I cannot understand people complaining about her. Do they have nothing better to do with their time?

According to Wikipedia: "In the UK [spastic] can be considered an offensive way to refer to the disabled, while in the US it is more closely associated with hyperactivity or clumsiness ..

To me, that sounds as though it means pretty much the same thing in both languages - the 'clumsiness' being derived from the movements of disabled people with spasticity - so I don't buy the 'cultural differences' and 'meaning something non-offensive in the US' argument.

Aside from whether or not Tova realised how offensive it might be here, it just strikes me as an utterly juvenile thing to say. Not at all classy.

In general, PC correctness drives me absolutely bonkers - but I don't think this is an example of that.....

Spastic is not an offensive word when used to describe limbs that don't function properly

Jill presumably doesn't have spastic limbs though, so you could argue it's inappropriate to use the term to liken her enthusiasm for a product to people who can't control their movements. Perhaps not meant to be deliberately offensive, but quite a pathetic remark nonetheless....

As a severely disabled person myself I can't begin to tell you how offensive the bandying of this term is to disabled people on either side of the pond. When you are struggling to get about and some oaf decides it's fun to call you a "spaz", you soon become defensive. It's as bad to us as the "n word" is to black people. Amongst those in similar circumstances, we often refer to ourselves as crip or crippie, but wouldn't expect it from an able bodied person. I think a lot of the trouble is that "etiquette" and the social reasoning behind it, is no longer taught at home (by many) or at school.

However, whilst I can't excuse Tova for using the term, for presenters to be publicly correcting their guests in this manner is also very rude. Thus nil points to all. xxxx

Why does everyone get in such a twist over a word !!! I totally agree with other comments, about those who ring in to complain. Fear of offending has reached ridiculous levels now. I am offended by the sight of male bare feet in sandals, but I dont start screaming about my 'uman rights ! Incidentally, I have a life long friend who was born with a malfunctioning leg at birth, AND she always referred to herself as a "spas" - so who was offended there, me or her ??

Well said Brissles. Sorry, I would thank you but I dont seem to have the facility on here. I have wanted to thank loads of posts on here before now and never figured out why I cant!
Anyway, I too have an aversion to seeing mens bare feet in open sandals.
Maybe we should start a campaign!:grin:

There is one word that I think is hilarious to hear on American Tv and films and thats Fanny in America it refers to your bottom over here it has a totally different meaning.

Oh yes! That reminds me of when we were in Disney World last year going through the bag check and a very elderly American man said to his equally elderly wife 'the security guy needs to check your fanny'!!! I nearly collapsed with giggles and got thoroughly told off by DH :smirk:. Still makes me chuckle!

I think I'm right in saying that a charity shop chain used to be called the Spastics Society until a fw years ago. Spastic is not an offensive word when used to describe limbs that don't function properly but it can be if a moron uses it in a vile and nasty way to hurt someone. Tova is neither of these so I cannot understand people complaining about her. Do they have nothing better to do with their time?

Unless you have a daughter with cerebral palsy!!! Would Tova mind me calling her a bald headed wrinkled old hag when I am a T-caller, I don't think so. Shame on her.

Would Tova mind me calling her a bald headed wrinkled old hag when I am a T-caller, I don't think so. Shame on her.

'Shame on her'? What shame?!? Shame on you for apparently not being able to grasp the simple fact that......it - is - not - an - offensive - term - in - the - States & although it may be in the UK (& Tova would certainly have been upset & apologised for her 'mistake' had she realised her accidental faux pas!), how typical to assume (in that 'I know my rights' & 'if it's not my way of speaking/thinking/doing...it's wrong!' way the English are so fond of!) that Tova would have purposely & deliberately said something offensive or hurtful! :taphead:

From Wikipedia:
In the UK it can be considered an offensive way to refer to the disabled, while in the US it is more closely associated with hyperactivity or clumsiness and carries few offensive connotations.

You're not the only person with a disabled child & obviously I don't like mine being called names either but your bigoted, OTT, hyper-sensitive (& frankly downright rude & ignorant!) attitude does your daughter no favours at all really! Get a grip FFS! :angry:

'Shame on her'? What shame?!? Shame on you for apparently not being able to grasp the simple fact that......it - is - not - an - offensive - term - in - the - States & although it may be in the UK (& Tova would certainly have been upset & apologised for her 'mistake' had she realised her accidental faux pas!), how typical to assume (in that 'I know my rights' & 'if it's not my way of speaking/thinking/doing...it's wrong!' way the English are so fond of!) that Tova would have purposely & deliberately said something offensive or hurtful! :taphead:

From Wikipedia:
In the UK it can be considered an offensive way to refer to the disabled, while in the US it is more closely associated with hyperactivity or clumsiness and carries few offensive connotations.

You're not the only person with a disabled child & obviously I don't like mine being called names either but your bigoted, OTT, hyper-sensitive (& frankly downright rude & ignorant!) attitude does your daughter no favours at all really! Get a grip FFS! :angry:

I think your name is wrong it should be "COW" talking ****!!

Wikipedia is not the font of all knowledge. Anyone can make an entry, and in any event is no reason for such offensiveness as you have just displayed.

The Americans are famous for their lack of disability awareness. Have we not just recently had the sainted Obama himself comment that someone's clumsiness was like something from the "Special Olympics".

KWC - strings of abuse at a forum member for making perfectly valid comments about a sales person (this is part of what the forum is about) is really unforgiveable. We all have hot headed moments, I have myself, but it's a long time since I've seen anything so unpleasant as your last post on this subject. Please stop, it's upsetting.

Argey

You can't dictate another person's feelings and reactions, that's something we've seen on planet ST.com many, many times. Vive la difference! However courtesy should be a given here like anywhere else.

Unless you have a daughter with cerebral palsy!!! Would Tova mind me calling her a bald headed wrinkled old hag when I am a T-caller, I don't think so. Shame on her.

Tova was not calling your daughter or anyone a rude name. She was talking about Jill being excited or something similar as that is what the word means in the USA. Why would you want to call her something awful on purpose?

Thanks to argeybargey for clearing up why I find crikey offensive! I was not being argumentative about it but merely showing that many people find something offensive which others do not-whether it be because of where you come from,your culture,religion-I made a very polite complaint about it and left it at that.I think it was fine for viewers to complain about what Tova said and I am sure she was mortified and would loved to have been abvle to apologise as she does seem a very gracious lady.

I come form a certain part of the midlands which used to be called 'the black country'. I was on a train back in the 80's and got chatting to 2 lads slightly younger than me,one white one black. They asked where I came from and I said the black country-the black lad swore at me and moved on down the train. I explained to his mate that I wasn't being rude-it was due to the filth caused by the industry in the area-but I had unconciously said something to offend him and was able to apologise. Anyone of you on here who are having a go at people being offended by something might find yourselves eating your words one day,as no one is immune to being offended!

If someone was offensive to me on purpose to hurt or upset me then that would be unacceptable, however if someone said something that they thought was perfectly ok to say because where they come from it is not rude then I would not be upset as it would be a misunderstanding. There are a lot of bad things going on in the world and whilst I appreciate some are more sensitive than others I still find it hard to grasp this debate as the lady who said it obviously had no idea that what she said was out of turn.

it is very important one to think before they speak and to ensure they are courteous, but this political correctness culture has made our society very angry and has led to offensive and anti-social behaviour. screening every word sb has uttered is total madness.
of course, we may be offended by what sb might have said and we may have every right to, but unless it is intentional and/or accompanied by threatening behaviour, one should be light-hearted about it.

live and let live!!!

I'm away for a day and all heck breaks loose? How did this happen? Can't we all just calm down and cut out the insults? We're all supposed to be here for the same reason, aren't we?

I'm away for a day and all heck breaks loose? How did this happen? Can't we all just calm down and cut out the insults? We're all supposed to be here for the same reason, aren't we?

to be offensive?? :thinking2: lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back