Ultra Sun any good? Desperately need a "nasty chemical" free SPF

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I would echo ttinkerbelle not using sunscreen because it "may" have something in it is dangerous. I had to have a skin cancer removed in January and I am no sun worshiper just the opposite in fact I never sit in the sun and cover up my legs and arms. The mole was in my eyebrow so no I have a gap in it and am wearing my fringe longer to cover it.
This year I am sporting a rather fetching massive floppy sun hat much to the amusement of my family as well as a sunscreen

Actually that advice about anything over SPF30 reminded me of something I was told by a dermatologist. I went to see him to see if anything could be done about pigmentation marks I have on my face as a result of laser treatment. He told me that there was bugger all he could do but he told me to make sure I wore sunscreen every day. He said something like "use factor 15 minimum up to 30 but nothing more than that". If my memory serves me well he said that factor 30+ was a high risk as it made people complacent and could do more harm than good.

I'd completely forgotten that!

Liz Earle has a mineral sunscreen as opposed to a chemical sunscreen of SPF25. Not sure how good it is. But i can highly recommend the Decleor Aromessence Solaire and all Decleor suncare is really good.

Best chemical I've used is Neutrogena Sheer (only in the US, though). Best non-chemical I've used is Avon's mineral (sensitive), but I can't remember the exact name. It's an spf 30 and marked for sensitive skins. Another on the market I've found good, but a bit more pricey is Clarins mineral UV40 (again, I can't remember the exact name but it's in a cute little bottle). It doesn't leave as white a cast as most mineral sunscreens and isn't as greasy as the Elemis one.

If you want a brush-on touch-up that's slightly cheaper than BE, look for the Peter Thomas Roth versions. The 30spf has more in it than the BE for around the same price (free shipping and Quidco cashback from Beautyexpert.com), but he also does one with salicylic acid for problem skin (DH loves this one) and a tinted spf45.

Thank you all for the kind advice. Coincidently, Red magazine dropped on the mat this morning and the first article I turned to was by the Beauty Editor discussing the merits of sunscreen over SPF. She seemed to think an SPF can give a false sense of security as she had often been burned when wearing one. She concluded that for her, wearing a sunscreen on her face, neck, decollete and hands, and enjoying a limited amount of sun was preferable to slathering herself in SPF, and laying in the sun, and I tend to feel the same.

Thanks Minim for the links - very interesting reading. I am now heading towards Badger chemical free SPF 30 sunscreen. BTW Minim, what do you use on your face, as you seem very aware of nasties in products and ingredients, if you don't mind me asking?

My problem is I've got super-sensitive skin. I was alright until last November and then I reacted to everything. Now I am very wary and keep it as simple as possible which is why I won't even consider Ultrasun. The mix of moisturiser, anti-aging ingredients and sun protection would probably be overload for me and frankly, I don't want to risk it.
During the winter I was using Clinique Super City Block SPF 40. It's much too light for the summer so I've been doing some research to find an alternative (google is my best friend). In the meantime, I've been using a M&S tinted moisturiser with an SPF of 15 which I really like, but I'm considering Clinique's City Block Sheer which has a higher SPF of 25.
I need something for all of me though, not just my face. Even though I'm not a sun worshipper, I'm aware the sun will get me.

Jury is still out at the moment.

Rats!
The reviewers on Makeupalley claim Clinique's City Block Sheer SPF 25 is not sheer.

I think the Ultrasun 30 Face formula is superb. I pretty much wear it daily from April - October. Also get their Family 30 for the family holiday (and those rare sunny days here). We are all quite fair skinned and none of us have ever burned (even in hot Florida sunshine) even if we only apply it once a day.

Think someone also mentioed the Peter Thomas Roth ones, they are fab to just layer on top.

Its all a question of what works for you and when you find something that does, stick with it.

P.S. The Ultrasun woman on QVC annoys the crap out of me though, cant watch her at all!

Another vote for Ultrasun here. I too have very fair skin which starts to burn after only a few minutes in the sun so I wear the factor 50 and haven't burnt yet. I don't stay in the sun for long periods at a time though- I think you just have to be sensible

Me too for ultrasun.I have Roscea and my hospital consultant told me along with my medication,to wear suncream everyday.Without fail,snow,wind,rain,sun.He also told me that its the best anti ageing secret.......ever! i tried a few from the high street,but some made my face worse...others just too greasy.I liked a Johnsons baby one but that was discontinued....so I now wear the ultrasun supersensitive 30.Its brilliant.

My elder teenage son has psoriasis and he can use it as well with no problems.I would honestly never buy another brand....although I buy mine in my local pharmacy for a better price than QVC.

I did buy a factor 50 ultrasun in TKMaxx that was in the sale at £9.....but it was horrendous.It was so thick I couldn't move it around my face.......this is not the impression I get from QVC so maybe this was was "off" or something???

There is a lot of hoo-ha whether it is a once a day application.For me...in the UK..it is.Its fine,fabulous.I did wear it last year on Tenerife on a once a day application and got burnt,so personally I'd take care abroad with it.

I've never bought an ultrasun TSV from QVC...or actually any ultrasun from QVC.The woman guest is hard to take sometimes and I only really want the 30 supersensitive.I did consider for a whike the beauty pick of the month as it is ultrasun with free p&P but its the factor 50 that puts me off.

Just been studying the labels whilst in the bath! It doesn't say 'once a day' on either of mine. I think I will play it safe on hols and decant the 20 to take out and about with me. My face should be ok with one application of 30, hat etc. You would think that 'once a day' would be a selling point, and therefore on the front of the product wouldn't you? Does anyone have any bottles/tubes with this on?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Actually that advice about anything over SPF30 reminded me of something I was told by a dermatologist. I went to see him to see if anything could be done about pigmentation marks I have on my face as a result of laser treatment. He told me that there was bugger all he could do but he told me to make sure I wore sunscreen every day. He said something like "use factor 15 minimum up to 30 but nothing more than that". If my memory serves me well he said that factor 30+ was a high risk as it made people complacent and could do more harm than good.

I'd completely forgotten that!
I am very sun sensitive and wear SPF50 during the summer months. I do not sit out in the sun but want really good protection when I am out and about. Even with SPF50 I am ultra-careful. However, I do agree that some people think that even the tiniest level of protection means they can do as they please and spend all day in the sun, so complacency is a risk for some. I do think, however, that the SPF50 is intended for the very sun-sensitive people who really don't want any colouring up from the sun at all and so are likely to be very careful and wary anyway. But, yes, no amount of SPF lets you get away with not being careful. One of the things I like about Ultrasun is that their websites do warn you about this and about how to stay safe in the sun. And guest Abi always mentions staying out of the sun at the most risky part of the day and about taking care not to over-do it.

Latest posts

Back