WEN Haircare TSV 27/4/14

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Doesn`t the WEN way of cleansing take ages ? It sounds like an awful lot of faffing about to me but I have short thick hair and just wash it daily in the shower with one blob of sls and paraben free shampoo which is low foaming, I don`t repeat wash, don`t use conditioner and twice weekly I simply rub in coconut oil before I wash it. I appreciate my speedy wash n go method wouldn`t be appropriate for someone with long hair, my hair dries in next to no time but the message I`m getting from WEN sounds similar ie. don`t overuse foaming agents, or cleansers which strip the hair, or heavy duty chemicals and use a narural oil based cleanser and conditioner. The main ingredients in WEN seems to be almond oil, glycerin and essential oils and when you think about it that`s what`s been used for thousands of years in some cultures ie nut oil and essential oil.

The constant reference during the demos to "we have every hair colour, length, type here ...." irritated me. Not one model had what I would consider short hair.

That was exactly my point. There are a couple of models who do the Doll10 make up modelling with short hair - a blonde lady and a ginger lady. I would have liked to have seen them wash their hair in WEN.

Doesn`t the WEN way of cleansing take ages ?

I think the longer your hair is the longer it would take to wash your hair the WEN way, but like you I have short hair so last night it took no longer for me to wash my hair than it does usually. I think the longer your hair is, the more effort it takes to complete the process.

Mines just been delivered :) Im going to wash my hair this afternoon and see how I get on .

yes, I agree about the models all we had was Chaz talking about his hair.

Vienna, I think take no longer than when I used normal shampoo and conditioner. You can do one wash and leave on for 10 minutes(I go off and dust or something to kill the time), if you want. I am lazy with I want it washed and dried with no hassle asap.

I have visions of all you WEN ladies walking around in kimonos whilst your hair laps up the cleansing oil lol. Actually that vision reminds me of back in the 60`s when my sis in law was an apprentice hairdresser and one of the jobs she hated was " de-gumming " the wash and set brigade. Some of the older ladies had a wash and set every Saturday and didn`t touch it again except to add more laquer everyday and some of the hairspray back then was like varnish. My sis in law had to massage olive oil into their hair to break down the hair laquer because otherwise their hair turned to chewing gum consistency if they tried washing it first. I`d pop in to see her and there would be a couple of old dears wrapped in flowery capes and their heads soaking in olive oil lol. Actually it sounds quite relaxing ..

My hair "regime" is waaaaaaay faster with Wen. For the equivalent shampoo and conditioner routine would add an extra step as I only do one Wen application. With shampoo I have to lather twice because the water here is so hard the first shampoo doesn't disperse through my hair. It takes fewer minutes to comb thru the Wen than it does when I use conditioner because I use more Wen and it's a fab detangler. The rinsing would be about the same because I've always rinsed well. So I just apply the wen to wet hair, pile it up on my head while I wash pits and bits in the shower, then comb it through and rinse. The whole shower shebang takes about 5 mins if I'm in a rush. Out of the shower I wrap in a towel but if I use shampoo & conditioner I'd need a detangling spray and lots of combing prior to blow drying. When I get my hair washed and cut I prefer to comb out the wet hair myself with a tangle teezer, if there's only the junior available to comb it through before the stylist starts cutting. (lovely Sonya the Stylist is better at combing it but shampoo makes it turn into damp candyfloss!). Less wet combing = less damage.

I kind of understand why they use it on long haired models because it shows the best visible results on TV. In real life the same will be true. Short hair is only a few months old whereas my ends are nearer 5 years old with greater likelihood of split ends and tangling. I suspect those with shorter styles may not get the wow factor I get on my hair, but if you're growing your hair I reckon Wen will minimise breakage.

So my routine is wet hair, apply Wen, shower, comb, rinse.

Previously wet, shampoo, rinse, shampoo, rinse, conditioner, comb, rinse, shower, apply detangler and comb...a lot.

I think the Wen application process sounds longer because we never really think about the stages of ordinary shampooing. The difference, in the shower, is that while it's piled on my head with Wen applied I can get on with the rest of my shower whereas that all has to happen before or after the normal shampooing process. Hope this long-winded post makes sense.

Let go of your entrenched patterns of shampooing! :mysmilie_8::muscle::clock::emo::mysmilie_864:

As a newbie. I have hair just to my neck. Slightly dry and has a tendency to frizz when the weather is damp and it's coloured. Fine hair. How many pumps would you recommend I start with?? Even with a conditioner too much and my hair is saturated. Am loving all the tips btw!

Is your hair in a bob style or shorter and shaped into the neck?

I am thinking 8 pumps perhaps????? Jump make sure its well coated, you can tell when doing it if your hair is or not by the feel.

8 sounds like a good place to start. At least for the 1st wash I'd start with a few more than you might settle on once you're in the swing of using it. You need to feel that the hair is coated so if you imagine the volume of product you'd use for a shampoo and conditioner then that's a good place to start.

I've stopped using the pumps and just tip enough into my palm - pumping 10 pumps is hard work for a Lazy Mary like me! :sleepy::yawn:

So, I've "drenched" my hair and worked through 8 pumps of WEN (settled on that as a kind of average of the amounts discussed on here, as I have shoulder length, thick hair). Waited 10 minutes then stood in the shower for well over 5 mins rinsing, trying to figure out, how long is long enough ?!?

I've now applied the deep conditioner (about a tablespoon), which I'm to leave on overnight and then probably spend about 30mins in the shower in the morning
trying to work out what rinsing out really means!

So how did you get on with it?

As a newbie. I have hair just to my neck. Slightly dry and has a tendency to frizz when the weather is damp and it's coloured. Fine hair. How many pumps would you recommend I start with?? Even with a conditioner too much and my hair is saturated. Am loving all the tips btw!

Ooh you need the steampod! Will be interested to know if Wen is a substitute for the Steampod. May not know conclusively until the autumn - season of mists and mellow fruitfulness unless you go in a sauna over the summer.

So how did you get on with it?

Right oh, here's how things stand at the mo. Sleept in the deep treatment overnight then spent 5 mins+ in the shower this morning rinsing. I didn't use any other styling product afterwards as I wanted to access my hair just on WEN (I usually add a touch of ojon restorative oil after I wash and before I style). My hair feels lovely and soft and not heavy. However, it feels that way after I do any overnight conditioning treatment. I usually wash my hair very other day, so I will be interested to see how it fairs after WEN-ing, especially how it looks after a night's sleep.

Going forward, the wash and treat the night before would work with my work routine quite well. I could definitely see myself doing that combo at least once a week. However, I have just repurchased a litre size of Aveda Blue Malva, and I'm not going to waste that, so I think I'll probably be alternating both regimes.

Thanks all. Much appreciated. Will start with 8 pumps. Keen to try it as it arrived so early!! Am still dithering over the steam pod because it is so expensive. Have purchased the babyliss big brush styler so keen to see how they work together! Hair is a bob style but grown out a bit and needs cutting!

Ok so I used the Tsv this afternoon, used around 8 pumps first wash and then another 8 pump second wash, tbh it seemed to take longer than just using normal shampoo and conditioner but I guess that will speed up over time. I used the pomegranate one and I love the smell. Left my hair to dry naturally and my hair feels ok but no better or worse than using my normal shampoo or conditioner, Not sure if it takes a few washes to see better results or not, I will see how my hair feels in the morning and try it again then.

I am going to persevere with Wen as my hair has got very dried out from the sun,have not tried the intensive moisturiser yet,I think my problem with it was not rinsing for long enough.
Lynn :mysmilie_17:

Washed my hair tonight so still waiting for the results. I did 12 on the head and 12 on my lengths - I have thick long hair, does that sound about right? Seemed to be a lot on it and felt creamy and nice. X

What I dont get with they rinse, rinse, rinse mantra, is if its so important to remove all traces of wen from your hair, why are you then supposed to apply more as a leave in conditioner?

I suspect the Wen is emusifying the oils and dirt on your hair so you're rinsing these away as you rinse, then if you feel you need it Chas suggest a small amount applied as a leave-in. I've never felt the need to do this except when I've just dyed my hair. Whereas shampoo uses detergents (and surfactants) to create a lather.

Latest posts

Back